Community The Ban on Costumes: How It HURTS the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
It has come to recent attention that, after Winter Brawl 9, certain costumes are going to be banned from tournament play for DOA5 Last Round. They are as follows:

Banned Costumes said:
Ayane - 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 20, 21, 28, 31, 32, 35, 39
Christie - 06, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 22, 25, 28, 30
Helena - 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 22, 24, 27, 30, 32
Hitomi - 11, 12, 15, 16, 19, 20, 26, 28, 35
Honoka - 07
Kasumi - 12, 13, 16, 17, 20, 21, 29, 31, 34, 38
Kokoro - 11, 12, 15, 16, 19, 20, 26, 28, 35
Leifang - 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, 22, 27, 28, 31, 38
Lisa - 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 26, 30
Marie Rose - 19
Mila - 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 25, 28, 29, 32, 35
Momiji - 06, 11, 15, 16, 20, 21, 26, 27
Nyotengu - 14, 20, 21
Pai - 07, 08, 09, 13
Rachel - 06, 09, 13, 16, 19
Phase 4 - 11, 13, 18
Sarah - 07, 08, 09
Tina - 07, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 24, 26, 27, 30, 31, 37

Now, many people are wondering why this is a big deal. The fact of the matter is this: this is community basically saying that we are ashamed about one aspect of DOA that has been part of the game since the beginning. The fact that costumes, which have NO AFFECT ON GAMEPLAY, are being banned from tournament play in order to give the game a "serious" image hurts and divides the community. In every fighting game, people have their main characters and some of those characters are frequently used. In order to be different, players have certain colors and/or costumes they like to use in order to separate themselves.

Competitive players in the DOA community, of course, support this ban. However, there are players who do not agree with this, and for good reason. For one thing, this costume ban is basically saying that we're trying to cater to outsiders who don't give a damn about our game to begin with. People know what DOA is and DOA5 has never been more competitive than it has ever been. Costumes do not change gameplay, so there is no reason to ban them from stream, just so outsiders can take our game "seriously."

Banning costumes won't get people to take our game any more seriously. To get people into DOA, you have to teach them the basics and the mechanics. If people do not want to give DOA a chance just because of some fan service, then that is a personal issue. When I'm playing the game, and I'm using a sexy costume, I'm focusing on the fighting and nothing else. If a competitive player is distracted because of a bikini or a fucking bath towel, again, that is their own personal issue. Just because I like to use sexy costumes doesn't make me, or anyone else, less of a competitive player. In fact, people like me who BUY these costumes are how Team Ninja are able to contribute to pot bonuses and give us even more additional content. We support the game too, just in different ways.

TL;DR: Banning costumes hurts our community, because we're saying that we're ashamed that we enjoy all aspects of the game. DOA has fan service, but what is wrong with that? Who decides what is "too sexy"? Banning costumes also will not get people to look at our game more seriously. It's basically the DOA community saying that our game is something that cannot be enjoyed or taken seriously just because of one minor aspect. Costumes aren't game breaking. They do not affect how the game plays. Just because people like using these kinds of costumes, that doesn't make them any less of a competitive player. If we want to support DOA, then we should support ALL ASPECTS of DOA.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Wouldn't it be Team NINJA's final say? They are sponsoring these tournaments, but alas it's really not that big of a deal. I don't pay attention to my character when I fight because I don't need to. Don't lose sleep over this.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
This is a bigger issue at hand. It's as if we're telling Team Ninja that they should be ashamed of their product, when there is nothing wrong with the bit of fan service that the game has. People are obviously buying the bikinis, fan service, and fetish costumes because they like them (or just want all the costumes). Team Ninja isn't going to stop making these kinds of costumes and banning these costumes will NOT make people look at our game any differently. People have already made up their minds about DOA and the only way to bring people in at this point is to sit down and explain the mechanics of the game.

Squizzo

Pretty ridiculous, nobody should be dictating what costumes other people can use. Also the fact that it is only female outfits that are banned is kind of sexist. So it's okay for Jann to rock a speedo but as soon as Kasumi puts on a bikini the line has been crossed. Total bullshit.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
People keep insisting that people are turned off by DOA because of the fan service. Newsflash, that is just a cop out answer as to why people do not give the game a chance. Most people don't like 3D fighters and a lot of people don't like that DOA has a counter system that can stop people in their tracks from using the same strings over and over. People are turned off because not enough people play DOA and because it's just popular to pick on DOA, be it for fan service or because of the counter system. Banning these costumes will NOT get people to change their minds.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
seriously banning costumes? waiting to hear team ninja's response on this.

not that it effects me in anyway, i really am not big on costumes.

Xhominid The Demon Within

seriously banning costumes? waiting to hear team ninja's response on this.

not that it effects me in anyway, i really am not big on costumes.

They are okay with this ban...

My thoughts are in the main thread about this so if you want a cliffnotes version:

This should not happen and will just get us laughed at for catering to people who don't care and mock us for being scared of the game.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
if they are okay with the ban, why do still continue to produce these costumes o_O

i know they are money hungry but still.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
if they are okay with the ban, why do still continue to produce these costumes :confused:

i know they are money hungry but still.
Because these costumes are what makes them money and is how they're able to contribute to pot bonuses for these tournaments. Essentially, people like me who do buy costumes are essentially paying competitive players to play a game that we enjoy in different ways, but in mostly the same way: we enjoy the fighting mechanics.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Deleted my previous post as it was a non-issue. See the tournament rules thread for more info but the conversation really doesn't need to go on. Take it up with me privately if you have a problem with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD