The International Interviews: #2 UprisingJC

ikodomo

Thanks everyone for all of your feedback! I learned a lot from the first interview and hopefully I can continue to improve from here on out!

So jumping straight into it; this time featuring a player hailing all the way from Taiwan! And speaking of the Taiwanese, I hadn’t even known they had a DOA scene until first hearing about the guy (ignorance, I know) from @CatzDaLegit, which went something along these lines: “Hey! ikodomo, there’s this guy who’s great at analyzing a player’s habits. He’s probably the best player in Taiwan. His name is UprisingJC. You should watch out for this guy.”

I also heard praises from the South Korean community every time UprisingJC's name was brought up. Curiosity and a bit of skepticism consumed me, so this made me really curious as I had yet been informed of the Taiwanese scene, and thus skeptical of their players. I had to see what UprisingJC was capable of, so I searched from Youtube match videos and I noticed he happened to have played against some players I knew like Tasumania and Koni-dash, to name a few. He played well against them. However, I have that offline-tournament mentality that rejects casual online matches no matter how great the players seem to be. To me, it all matters on how you perform offline where you are definitely not in your comfort zone.

And then I heard that he was chosen to be the Representative of Asia for this year's DOA Festival that was held in Japan. That’s when this player really caught my attention and I had to see for myself what all the hype was all about. Not only did he get tied for 3rd in the World Exhibition Tournament of the DOA Festival, his team managed to get 2nd place in the 5 on 5 Team Tournament that took place the next day, personally taking out Flack (Top Player and #1 Japanese Leon) and Java Curry Akira aka "J.C.A." (You know, the guy that OCV'd the overseas team of foreigners, Team Gaijin).What makes it more impressive was that it was his first offline tournament. Thus, he became more prevalent to the DOA community outside of Asia and now more eyes are on this individual more than ever. I wanted to know more about him as a player and understand his mentality and mindset. After getting the chance to converse with him, thanks to Catz aka Vizierde for the referral, he agreed to the interview. Now without further adieu, UprisingJC...

Name? Gaming alias?
Jefferson Chiu, UprisingJC

How did you come up with the name, UprisingJC?
I had changed my online nickname a lot of times before I started playing DOA for the first time. I used to play America's Army 2 before playing DOA. During the times when I played AA, a German clan made a video whose title was named "The Uprising". I know it sounds weird, but that's how I ended up using this nickname. LOL.

Btw, the video "The Uprising" I mentioned can also be found in my channel.
Just saying.

Who are your main characters in DOA5LR?
Primary:
Kasumi
Secondary: Helena, Hitomi, Leon

How long have you been playing DOA casually and competitively?
I started playing DOA in 2009 and I have been trying to stay competitive [ever] since vanilla DOA5 was released.

If you were to describe your play style; What would they be?
Being too conservative most of the time and this is what I'd like to change.

What's your typical routine when preparing for an upcoming tournament?
So far I've only participated in a tournament once and it was the DOA Festival held in Japan. I attended it as a guest player (Representative of Asia).

Some of my friends and I had had weekly offline DOA activities every weekend before we flew off to Japan for [the] DOA Festival and Playse 5v5 Tournament. We still played together like always, but it was offline instead of online.

What are the tournaments you have attended? What were those results you had on those tournaments?
DOA Festival World Exhibition Match
- 3rd place with Gehaktbal (Kasumi)
TGN Playse 5v5 Team Tournament - 2nd place (Kasumi)

Which version of DOA do you like and hate the most? Why?
Like most: DOA5LR

1. Modified the fighting system especially the holds that made them not as spammable as they used to be.

2. More stuns leading into guaranteed moves after them. People have to slow escape instead of always spamming holds.

3. Characters look more attractive and realistic.

Hate most: DOA4 -

1. 0(22)8 for standing holds and 0(22)5 for low holds. Some people abused just-frame holds, especially the low holds in which it greatly shorten the stun duration like crazy, making some people not even consider slow escaping.

2. Everyone had OHs.

3. No guaranteed ground grab.

4. Some players kept complaining about DOA5 being a crappy game because of their specific character losing a couple of their moves and refusing to accept the fact that other characters also got changed a lot.

Is there anything you would like to see changed, added or deleted in DOA5LR such as character balances, more characters or stages?
I'd like to see the following phenomenon getting changed.

Most of the holdable stuns and crumple stuns get affected by the fastest holds a lot. Doing so shortens the stun duration significantly.

I'm not sure if it was made on purpose, but it's just annoying. People doing fastest holds after getting a crumple stun would give them a minor disadvantage.

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?
US:
Rendering Star, E-mann, XcaliburBladez, CrazySteady
JPN: FLACK, Dai-vidson(たにい, Tanii), Duminus0810(なす子, nasuko)
Korea: olor(しのび, Shinobi)

Watch any of the US DOA tournaments? What do you think of the players? Play style?
I do sometimes watch them. They do play differently from how Asian players do. Lots of Asian players mostly go for throw punishments after blocking an unsafe move, while U.S players tend to retaliate with strikes more than going for the free damage from throw punishment. The character popularities also vary between the U.S and Asia. For example, Kokoro is very popular in Asia, especially in Japan, while U.S players seldomly use her. The same can be said about VF characters, although I do know that there're some skilled players that main VF characters like CrazySteady.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?
Top:
Ayane, Christie, Hayate,
High: Kasumi, Genfu, Helena, Rig, Leifang, Zack
Mid-high: Hayabusa, Hitomi, Akira, Mila, Jann Lee
Mid: Leon, Kokoro, Bass, Bayman, Lisa, Tina, Sarah, Momiji, Marie, Jacky
Mid-low: Nyotengu

I have no opinion about those not listed above.

What's the best significant memory you had with DOA?
Well, it would exactly be my days [spent] in Japan for the DOA Festival and Playse 5v5. It was the first time I joined a tournament and met some of my friends and famous players over there. [It was] a debut for me in an offline DOA event tho. It was also fortunate for me to have made it to the top 4 instead of being eliminated in the 1st match, although some people thought I was lucky because I met 2 Kokoros who seemed to be considered a low-tier character.

I heard you are also talented in other games besides DOA. Let me guess... C&C! Any other games? Any sort of achievements you've attained on those games?
C&C Red Alert 2 and its expansion pack, Yuri's Revenge
C&C Generals
and its expansion pack, Zero Hours
America's Army 2
(Started from 1.9.0 to 2.8.5)

As for achievements, unlike fighting games, there was NO OFFLINE EVENTS for those games. People can only play online matches.

During my days in YR, I used to play ladder matches, which was recorded once a month, and my best record was in the top 50 (world rank). Now the game is no longer that popular as it used to, but there's a mod named Mental Omega 3, which is based on this game and has lots of new units, subfactions, and challenging single-player missions and the developer will be releasing an updated version of it in 2016 or even before the end of this year I believe.

In Generals, I was one of the few that stuck with the U.S, which was once believed to be the faction that requires more skills to be good at than the other 2 factions. I once got a 70 winning streak and it got stopped due to disconnection. Otherwise it would have lasted longer.

America's Army 2 is one of the FPS games I like most and it's the first FPS game I play. There's not much I can talk about my achievements in this game as in my country, not so many people played this game. I chose a random server to join and play with [the] Western players most of the time. If I really have to think of something to talk about, I'd just say my play style was rather slow-paced as I tended to heavily focus on hearing enemy's footsteps in order to eliminate them before they even knew where I was. I used to be famous in some of the maps that I often played on. My AA tracker account even got hacked by someone due to having the statistics that didn't seem that bad.

America's Army 3 was released in June 2009, but I personally didn't like it. This is why I turned to DOA in that year.

Now I still miss the days in AA2, but people no longer play it I believe. Only a few from the West still do. :p
In my Youtube channel, videos of those games can still be found, but some of them are not that many such as the videos for Generals.

Your English is phenomenal! You sound like a Native Speaker. Why is your English so God-Like?
Really?

I appreciate that, but I still don't think my English ability is good enough to fully understand what native speakers say if they talk to fast sometimes. When browsing some English websites such as FSD; I sometimes still need to turn to dictionaries to see what people say as there are still some terms or even slangs I don't know [about].

If you could give an advice for the aspiring competitive DOA player, what would you say?
Well...there's much to say but I'd just speak part of it. Suppose that the beginners I mention here already know about the system, and can smoothly perform his/her own main character's basic air juggles, what he/she ought to do next would be:

1. Figure out the ways that can prevent an opponent from sidestepping.

2. Learn to slow escape instead of spamming holds. A lot of beginners don't even do this thing.

3. When launching an opponent to a higher elevation, try to maximize the damage from the air juggles as much as possible and STICK TO THE STABLE ONES. Some juggles that deals the most damage require strict input timing or are stance-dependent. Leave those aside temporarily or you can even just stay away from them in order to minimize the rate of missing juggles. It's not worth going risking missing the juggle by pursuing for 1 or 2 more damage.

4. Do not always use i12 throws. They deal the most damage but on the other hand you're more likely to get HCH if your opponent retaliates with a strike. For most of the time, throw punishment is done by i7 throws. Make sure you also use i7 throws or even neutral throws.

Do you have a Twitter, Facebook or Youtube channel people can follow you on?
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/UprisingJC
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UprisingJC
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/UprisingJC

Any last messages? Shoutouts?
Thanks for giving me the chance of being a guest player at the DOA Festival. I finally showed up in a tournament for the first time. I think I'll go to Japan to attend [any] DOA-related activities there again or even those [held] in the U.S if possible. However, I guess I will not be playing many characters as I used to; probably 3 at most.

I'm not really good at doing this, so I guess I'll just finish this question here. LOL.

UprisingJC

Very nice interview. @UprisingJC performed utterly outstanding at DOA Festival! Loved his Kasumi.
Thanks for that. However, this trip to Japan also let some get awarf of some things I need to be aware of. One of them is the fact that I still haven't had enough strategy to deal with Leifang and Hitomi, while I had thought I did before going to Japan.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Thanks for that. However, this trip to Japan also let some get awarf of some things I need to be aware of. One of them is the fact that I still haven't had enough strategy to deal with Leifang and Hitomi, while I had thought I did before going to Japan.

Can't speak for Leifang, as I only fought TeruRock once. However, for that one Hitomi player... yeesh. He was beasting.

UprisingJC

Can't speak for Leifang, as I only fought TeruRock once. However, for that one Hitomi player... yeesh. He was beasting.
Yesterday I just realized one more thing. Hitomi's 33P is just so damn annoyingly god-like.
Kasumi's 6P and 6K get crushed by it-_-.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Yesterday I just realized one more thing. Hitomi's 33P is just so damn annoyingly god-like.
Kasumi's 6P and 6K get crushed by it-_-.

Hitomi's 33P is a mid-crush like Kasumi's 33P. A lot of moves in DOA5LR crush mids, which I think is stupid and unnecessary. Not to mention that Kasumi's 6P, 6K and 66K have pretty shitty hitboxes anyway lol.

UprisingJC

Hitomi's 33P is a mid-crush like Kasumi's 33P. A lot of moves in DOA5LR crush mids, which I think is stupid and unnecessary. Not to mention that Kasumi's 6P, 6K and 66K have pretty shitty hitboxes anyway lol.
Agree.

As for Kasumi's 33p, for me it's mostly a re-launcher.
I barely use it as a launcher due to it being too slow(i20, identical to her CB), not to mention to throw it out directly

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Agree.

As for Kasumi's 33p, for me it's mostly a re-launcher.
I barely use it as a launcher due to it being too slow(i20, identical to her CB), not to mention to throw it out directly

It can be used as a crush launcher (and 236P to a lesser extent), though it's generally not that necessary to make it a regular tactic with Kasumi, since her strike speeds and CH ability is so good. I too use 33P mostly as a re-launcher or Mid P launcher.

UprisingJC

It can be used as a crush launcher (and 236P to a lesser extent), though it's generally not that necessary to make it a regular tactic with Kasumi, since her strike speeds and CH ability is so good. I too use 33P mostly as a re-launcher or Mid P launcher.
I'd like to hear your opinion about her CH ability.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I'm aware, lol.

Hitomi's 33P crushing mids is news to me though, as I've not had that problem as Ayane. I will check more thoroughly.

EDIT: Doesn't crush any of Ayane's mids at all.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD