The International Interviews: #9 Hurricane Rev

ikodomo

In order for the community to grow, we need to put away all the nonsense and silly stuffs at the side and we must all work together as One!
- Hurricane Rev

rkpte8.jpg

After getting the opportunity to interview a couple of the upcoming US players this past week, we fly back across the North Atlantic Ocean all the way to the UK mainland. I was able to get in contact with Hurricane Rev thanks to @CatzDaLegit. Hurricane Rev has been considered one of the best DOA5 players to ever come out of the UK. He shares with us in the interview great insights on his character, Mila, his UK community and the best places to visit in the UK.

If a DOA character were to be become a real person in real life, who would you want to hang out/date? Why?

I would love to hang out with Mila. I really like her passion as character which is quite similar to my personality.

Name? Gaming alias?

My real name is Revell and my gaming alias is Hurricane Rev.

Country of Origin?

UK

How did you come up with the name Hurricane Rev?

A long time ago, I used to main wacky characters in games that I would play just to make myself stand out from everyone else. For example, I mained Zack in DOA4, I Mained Faust in Guilty Gear, etc. I have had quite a few names before my current name. I used to be called Sadako Ry (Yeah, It’s a Terrible Name lool). But once I gotten tired of that name, I just thought of another name that sounds wacky and I came across “Hurricane”, which is obviously something wild and wacky.

And as for the word “Rev”, It’s a short version of my name Revell. Pretty much EVERYONE calls me Rev. My Family, Friends, Cousins, Enemies, Strangers……….. Everyone!! lool

Just letting you know, you have a really cool first name

Haha Thanks! Quite a lot of people say that I have got a cool first name and I’m very grateful that my parents gave me such a cool name lool.

Who are your main characters in DOA5LR?

My main character right now is Mila. But I also play with Hitomi and Zack from time to time. I really need to spend more time on those characters and I’m currently learning Kokoro at the moment.

I heard from an insider that your Mila is pretty sick. Can you tell me about her as a character? What's her pros and cons?

And Who is this Insider that you speak of???? Haha To be honest, My Mila isn’t really all that. My Mila has her good days and she definitely has her bad days as well lool.

Mila is the type of character where you really need to put in the time and effort into her. She’s not really a straight forward character like Hitomi, Kasumi and Jann Lee. There are some stuffs that you really need to know with her, which can take a while to get used to.

One good point about Mila is that she is great at rushing down certain characters and she has got some Very Good mix ups. Even more, she has got quite a lot of guaranteed stuffs, which includes having a Guaranteed Critical Burst!

However, her downside is that she has got the smallest move sets in the game. Because of this, it’s quite hard for you to develop on your game with her. Sometimes, I can be quite predictable and some players can literally read me like a book lool. So you have to outsmart your opponent when you are playing with Mila, especially going up against an opponent who knows Mila very well.

Any favorite Mila set ups or tech you would like to share to the community?

Well one tech that I LOVE doing during matches with Mila is using her 7K. Most Mila players think 7K isn’t that great but personally, I think it is one of the best tools that Mila has got and it is one of my favorite moves to use. I normally use 7K (Without Charge) to "somewhat" resets the opponent while they are in stun and I usually throw them afterwards because they wouldn't expect that. It works most of the time and I think more Mila players should use it more. It might not be a proper tech but I believe it will help some players’ game with her.

What are your weakness within the game in which you would like to improve on?

One of my weaknesses is that I feel that I am too predictable lool. Sometimes, I don’t really think during matches and I usually go for techs that I already know that works. But Going up against a player who’s really good at adapting to players, it can be a struggle and it’s hard for me to break out of my bad habits. I really have to play differently playing against them. So I need to mix up my game a bit and not doing the same of attacks over and over

Have you ever checked out ToguraKappa? He’s Japan’s Number 1 Mila.

One time, I was watching some Japanese DOA matches and there was a Mila player that I was watching who had a Very Long winning streak. I believe that was him. He was playing very solid with her in those Japanese matches and I like the way he was playing with her. He played with her very effectively and watching his Mila really has helped me to improve on my Mila a lot.

How long have you been playing DOA? Casually? Competitively?

I have been playing DOA for a Very Long time. The first ever DOA game that I played was DOA2 on the Dreamcast. I used to love playing that game and to this day, it is one of my favorite DOA games! Hmmm.. You know, I think I will blow the dust of my Dreamcast and put in a certain game in it and play that game again lool

I started to take DOA seriously when DOA4 was 2-3 years old but by the time that I stared to play the game competitively, there wasn’t really much of a scene in the UK. I missed out on all the big events for that game, like CGS (Championship Gaming Series). I would LOVE to see CGS come back again, especially for DOA5.

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

1) Rushdown

2) Mindgames

3) Wreckless

What's your typical routine when preparing for an upcoming tournament? Do you have any players you train with for an upcoming tournament?

When preparing for an Upcoming tournament, I usually go into training mode and blow the dust off of my skills & knowledge with Mila. I try to discover some new things with her and find out some new tactics that I can do for certain match ups. I haven’t got a training partner that I can play with offline. So unfortunately, I have to go online for that.

I usually go online to get more knowledge on match ups for certain characters. There are some characters that I literally have no idea how to fight against them. I also go online to test out what stuffs works and what stuffs doesn’t work. So for all the stuffs that don’t work, I usually try to improve on them. I’m not really a big fan of Online (Really, I’m Not! Lool) but It does help you in way to understand how a certain character is played and you can find a way to get around the problem.

Minutes before your first tournament match starts, what are you doing? Chatting away with friends?

I usually just watch other players play so I can get into my “TOURNAMENT REV” mode and just to get myself ready for the tournament. Although, I do talk to people about stuffs before the tournament just to socialize and to catch up with them.

What are the tournaments you have attended? What were those results you had on those tournaments?

Yeah, I have attended tournaments in the UK and in Europe. The following are the results……

Sakura Fight Festa 2015 – 2nd Place

Republic Of Fighters Winter Session – 5th Place

Ultimate Power Launcher 4 – 1st Place

Any upcoming tournaments you will be participating in the near future?

Recently, The organizers of Republic Of Fighters (ROF) have announced the next dates for their Republic Of Fighters event which the next one will happen on Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th January 2016 and I believe DOA will be featured at the event. So I am looking on going back to France again to take part in the tournament and doing better than last time. Maybe I can bring some UK players with me this time!

You can find more info about ROF in the link below (Note: Its in French)

http://republic-of-fighters.com/2015/10/11/republic-of-fighters-saison-2016/

Which version of DOA do you like and hate the most? Why?

My favorite version of DOA has got to be DOA2. I feel like it’s the most balance DOA game out of all the DOA games that is out. It had such Amazing soundtracks, Amazing Stages and I believe there -were no overpowered characters in that game.

My most hated version of DOA is DOA4. I haven’t played the game for a VERY Long time (Why should I play it again? Lool) but the game seems more like a party game than an actual real fighting game. It felt like it was rushed, that wasn’t really thought out properly at all.

Is there anything you would like to see changed or deleted in DOA5LR such as character balances?

I’m not really the type of player who complains about character balances. But if there is one thing that I would change in DOA, then I would add in a Burst system into the game just to get out of the pressure.

I hate the fact that I have to counter correctly in order for me to get out of the pressure. If I counter wrong, then I would eat a lot of Damage and I am not really a good guesser lool.

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?

I love watching the Japanese players play DOA5. There is different variety of characters that they use in the scene and it’s not the same old characters over and over again. I find them very entertaining to watch.

As for the players that I would like to play against, it is the following players……..

Something-Unique – I would love to see how My Mila compares to his!

Gill Hustle – I like watching his streams/videos when I get the free time and like above, I would like to see how my Mila compares to his.

Rannsu – Well he thinks that I don’t know anything about the game. So if I do go over to the US one day, then I would like to have a first to 5 or something with him so I can prove him wrong lool.

HajinShinobi - He’s probably one of the best Ayane players that I’ve seen. He plays her very effectively and I would love to play him if I ever get the chance to go over to the US

TeruRock - He has got such a good Lei Fang! I don’t think any other lei fang players plays her effectively than he does!

How is the UK scene? I heard about you and XI C4l2L IX. Can you tell us more about your scene and the players you have over there? Are there any ways you can think of improving your scene and its growth?

Well the scene in the UK is not really that active, mainly because there are hardly any gaming events to go to in the UK. BUT There are quite a lot of DOA players in the UK. There are a variety of characters that the players play in the UK. Like we have got a Bass, Jacky, Mila, Kasumi, Ayane, Lisa, Rig, Lei Fang, Jann Lee, Zack, Bayman, Kokoro, etc. (I can pretty much write a book about it lool)

Me and XI C4l2L IX are really good friends but also great rivals to each other lool. The very first time that I met him was at the Preview event for the Original DOA5 when it was new at that time and I saw him playing with Ayane. I manage to play him at the event with my Zack (My Mila wasn’t ready at that time lool) and we were having some evenish matches. It could have gone either way to be honest. But as much as I don’t want to admit it, he is a better player than me lool. His Lisa & Rig are Really Good and he plays them really effectively. I would like to see him take part in Tournaments in Europe. I think he can do really well in it.

We normally have a tournament once in a while. However, one thing that I am doing in London is holding Gaming sessions which is Called Next Player UK. Next Player UK is an up and coming UK Gaming Youtube show which is about showcasing the talented players in the scene. The aim of the gaming sessions is to attract new players into the scene and to try to make the community to grow. There are A LOT of UK players who aren’t aware of events or sessions that goes on in London/UK and I want to spread the awareness for Next Player UK as much as I can. The past Sessions that I hosted were very successful, because there are new players that show up at session which is really good.

The next DOA session will happen in mid-November. So if any UK players interested in coming to the session, then feel free to send me a PM over here. The more New Players we get, the Better! The video below is just show you what Next Player UK is about…….

A certain player has been to one of my next player sessions and he made a vid explaining about his time at the DOA5 session that I hosted

Who are the players need to be aware of in the UK?

The following are the players that you should be aware of……..

XI C4I2L IX – Like I mentioned before, he has got a very good Lisa and Rig and I would like to see him take part in more tournaments in Europe.

Unclekitchener – His Bass has improved a lot over the past few years. He’s Bass is definitely dangerous and you don’t want to joke around with his Bass lool.

xMiss_Ellax – An up & Coming Female Kasumi Player who is making some Very Great Progress and I believe that she will have a very strong Kasumi soon!

Li – He’s been playing the game for a while now and honestly, he has got a really good Jacky. I would like to see him enter a DOA5 tournament just to see how well he does in it.

Ayane Rampage – Since the first time that I met her online, She has Improved SO MUCH with Ayane. I really like her Ayane a lot now and I hope she can come down to some DOA events/sessions in the UK soon.

Rated R Edge 20 – He has got a great Zack and the way he plays him is quite effective. He makes me want to relearn Zack again lool

Does the UK players have a specific style that is unique compared to the other European countries?

Hmm.. Not really. I would say everyone plays differently to each other and everyone has their own unique way on playing the game or playing a certain character, whether they live in the UK or in Europe.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?

I know I will get a lot of hate for this but I don’t really believe in Tier list to an extent. I think it just comes down to the player who plays that character. Obviously some characters are stronger than other characters but I think it’s more or less balance and any character can win. The game is nothing like Street Fighter 3rd strike where you can only choose 3-4 characters in order for you to win.

If you were to pick one moment that defines you in DOA, what would that be and why?

One moment that defines me in DOA was when Tulkas, a Very Great Friend of mine, who really wanted me to go to ROF3 so much, that he made a Fund Raiser that would allow me to go and compete in the DOA5 tournament at Republic of Fighters 3 if the target was met.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/support-hurricane-rev-in-making-it-to-rof3.4452/

To me, that was a very special moment for me because really, he didn’t have to do that for me and I was very grateful for him to do such a thing like that for me. It’s nice when people appreciate the things that you do and to give you something very rewarding afterwards. But it wasn’t the only gift that I have gotten from the community.

Other moment is when players send me gifts and surprises for just supporting the scene in the UK and It really does put a smile on my face because there are some really nice and friendly people within the community. Sometimes, I feel that I don’t really deserve some of the stuffs that people give me. It pretty much shows you how great and awesome the community is in the UK. It may not be the biggest scene ever but it definitely is one of the best scene that I ever been a part of and I will always keep on supporting the scene!

Any other games you play for fun or competitively?

Yeah, the other game that I play competitively is Guilty Gear Xrd and I have been playing the game for quite long time now. I am definitely going to pick up Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7 once both games are out.

DOAX3? Interested in picking it up?

I might pick it up actually. Though I can’t main Mila in this game because she is not in the game (WHY TEAM NINJA, WHY?!?!!?!?!), I will probably find another character to use and maybe I will like the game. I’m not getting my hopes up though lool.

Do you want DOA6 now? 5 years from now? Never?

It would be too early to have DOA6, Especially with the fact that DOA5LR came out this year. I would like to see DOA6 in 2018 or 2019 the latest to be honest. There are some other games that I want play and get into right now.

If you could create a DOA character from scratch for DOA6, How would you make that character? Gender? Martial Arts? Default Costume?

I would LOVE to see a Robot character in the game or having a robotic version of Ayane, who can fire missiles from her hand or something. I think that would be really cool to add in into the game.

If you could give an advice for the aspiring competitive DOA player, what would you say?

I would say nothing lool Nah, I’m kidding. Here is the Rev’s Top Advice if you want to be a competitive DOA Player……

1) Firstly, find a character that you really like the look of and you like how they play. There’s no point in playing a character that you don’t really like their playstyle.

2) Find out what they have got. Learn their attacks, grabs, Combos, Frame Data, etc.

3) Once you’ve understood your character, you should learn character match ups by either playing with your friend/partner offline or if you haven’t got that option, you should go online and learn the character match ups from there.

4) Look at some Match videos of you character in action and find out some ideas from the matches that you have watch so you can imply them into your game.

5) And the Most Important rule is that you need to keep it on going and never give up! Always think to yourself that you can take on any challenge, whether it is big or small. So if you do go to your first tournament and you didn’t do too well in it, don’t stop there and keep on training hard so that you will do better at the next tournament. My motto will always be “No Pain, No Gain”

UK is one those places people would like to visit once in their lifetime. What places would you recommend them visiting and spending time at?

There are so many great places that you can go do. Here are following places that I would recommend on going to….

Hurricane Rev’s Next Player (10/10) – If you are coming over to the UK from another country and you want to meet and play against DOA (Or other Games) UK players in the country, send @HurricaneRev a PM so that he I can organize a gaming session while you are there. The best thing of all is that, its Free to get in! ;)

The London Eye (8/10) – If you want to take a break from gaming, then you should go to the London Eye where you can see some really get views of London from high up.

Oxford Street or Westfield (8/10) – If you want to do some shopping while you are in the UK, then I would say you should either check out Oxford Street which is based in Central London and there are varieties of shop you can go to or You can go to Westfield Stratford, the home of the 2012 Olympics Games, where there are loads of shops that you can shop in.

Nandos (10/10) – You NEEEEEEED to go to Nandos!!!! It’s probably is one of the best restaurant that I have been to when it comes to having great food. I mean, who doesn’t like Chicken?!?!?! I haven’t been to it for a while but I’m planning on going back to it on my Birthday! That Chicken Though….

Thorpe Park (9/10) – If UK’s top attractions is more of your thing, then you should go to Thorpe Park. They’ve got some really good rides that you can try out there.

Science Museum (9/10) – Such a cool place to go to and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn’t been to it. It’s free to get in as well

Do you have a Twitter, Facebook or Youtube channel people can follow you on?

Hurricane Rev

Twitter - https://twitter.com/hurricanerev

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/revell.dixon

Next Player UK

Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRLqcCFkXwknLNkXEpxNALg

Twitter - https://twitter.com/nextplayeruk

Website - https://nextplayeruk.wordpress.com/

Any last messages? Shoutouts?

Firstly, I would like to say thanks to you for giving me the interview. I love the questions that you gave me and I hope my answers were great.

Secondly, I would like to say a BIG thanks to those who are part of the UK. You guys are the reason why DOA5 is still very much alive in the UK and I will still be supporting the game here in the UK by doing sessions and events for the game. So If you are a UK player and you would like to come to the DOA sessions (which is based in East London), then please do PM me so I can give you the address for the location.

And Lastly, A Big thanks to Tecmo Koei Europe and Team Ninja for Supporting the DOA5 series soo much in the past years. I love the fact that you guys pushing the DOA series A LOT and I couldn’t be any more Happy!! :D

Darkslay

Another one for the books. His comment on a “Burst” mechanic left me thinking quite a bit, i actually feel something like this could improve the game greatly, especially for those that want to get into the game making it a little more accessible on a basic level, a great suggestion in my opinion. Great interview.

Uhhhh Robo-Ayane? Thanks, but no thanks, lol.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Pretty solid interview we got here! Glad to hear of the solid repping of the UK scene that Rev-vy has been doing! And 'Rev it Up' is a great idea. The part with Tulkas was also, touching. Very happy to hear of other players being physically supportive of other players and the appreciation from the other end. Awesome stuff right there! For the record, Kasumi's not a straightforward character at all, especially not compared to Mila. She has a lot of relatively advanced tech that is fairly necessary to make her competitive at higher levels of play compared to someone like Hitomi for instance. Though of the "beginner" characters, Mila has the most interesting tech and playstyle dynamic. Your Mila is a joy to watch. I also don't agree with the "burst" mechanic, because it wouldn't really work that well in a 3D fighter with no meter. The "hold" system is more than what VF or Tekken has to "escape" pressure.

Cheers guys!

@Darkslay A Robo-Ayane sounds pretty awesome ;)!

Darkslay

Pretty solid interview we got here! Glad to hear of the solid repping of the UK scene that Rev-vy has been doing! And 'Rev it Up' is a great idea. The part with Tulkas was also, touching. Very happy to hear of other players being physically supportive of other players and the appreciation from the other end. Awesome stuff right there! For the record, Kasumi's not a straightforward character at all, especially not compared to Mila. She has a lot of relatively advanced tech that is fairly necessary to make her competitive at higher levels of play compared to someone like Hitomi for instance. Though of the "beginner" characters, Mila has the most interesting tech and playstyle dynamic. Your Mila is a joy to watch. I also don't agree with the "burst" mechanic, because it wouldn't really work that well in a 3D fighter with no meter. The "hold" system is more than what VF or Tekken has to "escape" pressure.

Cheers guys!

@Darkslay A Robo-Ayane sounds pretty awesome ;)!

I for the record will also say that Jann Lee is not a beginner friendly character, in previous DOAs he was, but not anymore, way too unsafe, you'll get blown up harder than any other character offline.
As for the "burst" mechanic i also thought about that but for a player to start holding accordingly you need very high fundamentals, Stagger Escaping, MU knowledge, character knowledge, etc. I just thought of it as a 1-time use tool to alleviate for some of that.

No it wouldn't! Go home Force, You're drunk. :p

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I for the record will also say that Jann Lee is not a beginner friendly character, in previous DOAs he was, but not anymore, way too unsafe, you'll get blown up harder than any other character offline.
As for the "burst" mechanic i also thought about that but for a player to start holding accordingly you need very high fundamentals, Stagger Escaping, MU knowledge, character knowledge, etc. I just thought of it as a 1-time use tool to alleviate for some of that.

No it wouldn't! Go home Force, You're drunk. :p

Whaddya meeen...? I'm perfettly sobaa! *hic*

*Drinks some water*. You don't really need "high fundamentals" to start holding correctly. You just need MU knowledge and sharp reactions. SE is a skill that every player should develop instead of just mashing holds and praying. A burst mechanic will undermine the hold system along with being another "get-of-jail-free" card on top of that. It works in 2D fighters because they have meter and generally don't have universal readily available tools to bail out of pressure. Well and 2D fighters also tend to have EX "DP's" of course...

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Special mention should go to Tulkas for trying to revive our scene and got us to start making regular sessions in Manor house.

@Hurricane Rev Also, Rev why you not coming over? We got one of the girls at Sendos wanting to do pole dancing and you can't say no to that. Tim and Shadowforce are regulars now and Tim's probably gotten better faster than any doa player in UK.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I'd actually come to events if it wasn't so much to get to London, or knew where I was going lol and wasn't so broke all the damn time haha.

Makes me wish I wasn't basically the only DOA player in my area lol every other UK player I've met lives somewhere else entirely.....

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'd actually come to events if it wasn't so much to get to London, or knew where I was going lol and wasn't so broke all the damn time haha.

Makes me wish I wasn't basically the only DOA player in my area lol every other UK player I've met lives somewhere else entirely.....
Just remember to send one of us a PM when you're around.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD