The King of Fighters XIII Thread

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Some more tournament footage, plus TFC 2014 Grand Final (for some reason, I can not find any other TFC footage as of now).

Argentus

Related to 2002 UM, not XIII, but a few questions related to background cameos.

Who are the two girls beside Rugal in the ending credits?

Kof2k2cre-21.gif

And who is the short haired girl the old men are hitting on in the Italy stage? She's cute :3

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Those are NPC's that show up to serve Rugal in some of his win poses. You can also see them in KOF98. The short haired lady beside Igniz (on the furthest left) is simply his girlfriend known as Misty.

To make a small note:
KOF98UM: Final Edition should available on Stream as of now. Please, check it out when ya'll get the chance.

Argentus

Those are NPC's that show up to serve Rugal in some of his win poses. You can also see them in KOF98. The short haired lady beside Igniz (on the furthest left) is simply his girlfriend known as Misty.

To make a small note:
KOF98UM: Final Edition should available on Stream as of now. Please, check it out when ya'll get the chance.
They don't have names? Looks like Vice and Mature stole their clothes for XIII though lol.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
They don't have names? Looks like Vice and Mature stole their clothes for XIII though lol.
I don't they have any names but it is interesting to see both Mature and Vice having the same attire as of current... Hey, you enjoy grapplers don't you? Whenever you get the chance you should give Vice a try. Majority of KOF characters have an easy time comboing into their grabs and she has awesome damage output with meter. Almost anything she does with meter can lead into a nasty full combo. She is a great (and relatively popular) anchor character.

Another side note:
We have a EX Kyo video showcasing Hit Boxes!

Argentus

I don't they have any names but it is interesting to see both Mature and Vice having the same attire as of current... Hey, you enjoy grapplers don't you? Whenever you get the chance you should give Vice a try. Majority of KOF characters have an easy time comboing into their grabs and she has awesome damage output with meter. Almost anything she does with meter can lead into a nasty full combo. She is a great (and relatively popular) anchor character.

Another side note:
We have a EX Kyo video showcasing Hit Boxes!
Vice is what got me into KOF, she's my main lol. Tried her in SNKvsC2.

That said, I don't like her (or anyone else besides maybe Shen and Leona) in XIII.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Vice has the best CD moves. Just gets high damage from one counter CD and it's all about shoulders for the rest of the round.

Actually everyone in the Iori team us great in some way, especially Iori.

Argentus

Vice has the best CD moves. Just gets high damage from one counter CD and it's all about shoulders for the rest of the round.

Actually everyone in the Iori team us great in some way, especially Iori.
I just don't like the changes they made to her, is all.

That and how Clark was reduced from Alex (multiple grapples for multiple situations), to Zangief (spam one grab). Hate that. I dropped my mains in favor of Shen, Elizabeth, and Leona.

But dear god I miss Vanessa, Blue Mary, Shermie, Yashiko or whatever his name was, and Yamizake (the psycho mobster dude). I only really got to download 2002 and mess around in training mode and arcade, but I love their move sets.

quash

Vice doesn't even need to use CD moves... all of her normals can link into EX Decide under the right conditions.

@Argentus: I play Vice in 98 and still like her a lot in XIII. She's less of a true grappler, but I'll take a more useful jump/hop arc over her old HCF A/C. She can actually play the air poking game now, which is really all she's ever needed to be better at.

synce

I'm ashamed to say I've only recently gotten into KOF after being a Capcom fanboy my whole life, and right now I'm like...

Starting out with Iori team, any tips? And what's the most active KOF community right now?

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
I'm ashamed to say I've only recently gotten into KOF after being a Capcom fanboy my whole life, and right now I'm like...

Starting out with Iori team, any tips? And what's the most active KOF community right now?

Iori Yagami (Claw Iori) is a meter hungry character who can do a lot of damage at once. He is also a recommended character for beginner player as he teaches "KOF" to individuals. Claw Iori does not have any "real" gimmicks so to speak, other than his cross up j4B (The Taco). You can use his Taco out of back dash to space yourself more. He has decent normals, command grab and BnB combos that are relatively easy to perform. Generally, he can do well from up close. In the neutral game, make us of st.C (close st.C), j.B or j.D as a potential anti-air depending on the space. To "interrupt" the opponents offense or to space yourself out a bit... st.B and hop D are good for keeping the opponent at certain spaces. You can use qcb+B as a "command dash" of a sort because it does not have any whiff animation unless he is close to the opponent. If the opponent is knocked away, you can draw yourself closer for a potential mix up or a bit of scare factor. Otherwise, you can choose to retain the space, run up hop, run up block, etc... (react to what the opponent does and/or make a read - there a lot of quick decisions to make as this is a fast paced fighting game). Close Standing D is also a decent anti-air.Note: Iori has a lot of combo starters with meter. When the opponent gets too defensive, you can go for a command grab (hcf+P) or just a tick throw. EX qcb+P has low invincibility. EX qcb+K is relatively safe on block and will launch the opponent. Iori's EXDM (qcfhcb+P) and EX qcb+K have invincibility towards projectiles. The EXDM also has invincibility properities in general on its start up. EX DP+P is a decent anti-air to use in moderate as it will also launch the opponent for a juggle combo. Make sure you convert the damage carefully from his command grab or any of his launchers.
Short term combos:
cr.B, cr.A(or st.A), f+A, qcb+C
close st.C, f+A, qcb+C, DP+C
close st.C, f+A, qcb+B

The thing to note about KOF is that there are a lot of great mobility options, especially as far as meter is concerned.

Mature's play style is centered around calculated rush down (... actually... most character rush down to a degree but they have their methodology for doing which is why it is important to learn how to play "KOF" in itself, rather than the characters). Mature is also considered to be relatively versatile. She builds meter very quickly, which is why you may see her commonly being used as a point character. She has a projectile that which she can zone around with or can be used to start an offense (you can sort of see it as a "assist" of a sort. The projectile has a bit of start up but you follow up easily after releasing the projectile.
Close st.C and st.A an extremely fast normal and great anti-air tool. For... hit confirms and block strings, you cr.B and st.B are you main tools. Use other normals in moderation to keep the opponent at bay. Do NOT over rely on rekkas as they are generally unsafe on block after the first hit. DP+P~P (the last punch input) will leave Mature at plus frames at the lower heights, so try to time them carefully as you pressure the opponent. You can also cross up with DP+P~P series (mainly the DP+A~P inputs). Mature's qcbhcf+K is very good for beating out projectiles or extremely obvious jump ins and it is also great for finishing short term combos as the damage will not scale much (not too many hits at all). Retain a safe functional game play while pressuring the opponent with normals... but remember, adapt to your opponent. Mature is still considered very versatile even without meter.
Mature isn't beginner friendly at all, due to the fact that a lot of better options require precise timing and use of constant frame traps. Mature's damage output is also generally great but her better combos require a moderate amount of execution on the same terms as... Yuri or Takuma for example (in fact, when it comesto combos, Mature is generally considered one of the difficult characters to perform great combos with, Ash being one of the greatest offenders due to his Sans-Culotte).
Short term combos:
cr.B, st.B, qcb+P x3 (if the opponent is blocking do not use rekka... or if you do... at least stop the rekka at the first input so that you can maintain safety).
st.C, DP+A~P, st.C (reset)
st.C, qcb+P x3 (Meterless punish combo. Extra damage post jump in).

Vice is a character whom is also meter hungry and is generally considered one of the best anchors in the game besides other characters such as Kim, Shen, Claw Iori himself or Leona for example. If Vice has meter, almost anything she does will lead into a full combo (a la EX Sleeve).
She has pretty decent normals... particuarly nice air to air (j.A, j.C and j.CD are great in many scenarios depending on what you are going to do and how you adapt to the opponents movement). Vice's st.CD also has deceiving range and can be good when used in moderation against opponents that are whiffing. EX qcb+P has invincibility start up but is still not safe on block. "Can" be a decent wake up options if you are careful. EX Sleeve will catch opponents even if they are in the air reset which is the very reason why Vice is notorious in high level game play. Remember to carefully use those normals, though. DP+C is good to use on small occassions... against projectile characters. Just keep in mind that there are universal options to consider when dealing with projectiles. Emphasize on those normals and movement because Vice does advocate good fundamental game play due to how her moves are arranged.
The reason why she is not necessarily beginner friendly is because players tend to over rely on jCD and EX Sleeve combo, without paying attention to the situations at hand and that she still has plenty of gimmicks to consider in order for the player to handle her.
If you want to punish an opponent with a HD combo... go for D~D target combo from up close then BC on hit for another D~D to cancel into another special move (practice this in moderation on training mode).
Short term combos:
cr.B x4, qcb+A~qcf+P (Be sure to confirm with those crouching light kicks).
st.C, f+A, fhcf+P (command grab)
st.C, f+A, qcb+~C~qcf+P (Punish)
Keep in mind that Vice's command grab is 1 frame. That means she can potentially punish better because of this against opponents that end up close to her on block against moves that are normally considered safe.

A good place to look for KOF community for an online outlet, Dream Cancel and Orochinagi are very good resources.
As for offline events, Colorado (See KingsofCO for a reference) and SoCal are generally well known areas that WILL play KOF for sure.
If you need more help, see the first page OP for all links. Plenty of sweet tutorials for you watch gradually over time. Keep in mind that it is a very goodidea to emphasize on movement, short term spacing, tick throws, knowing when to block, punish, etc.
Also note... as you level yourself up... try to finish your block strings with light normals because most character will have frame advantage on block anyway. If youDO wish to space yourself away from the opponent, use a special move... or any sort of move that causes push back on block. While the game generally does favor the rush down approach - multiple play styles are advocated!

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Vice doesn't even need to use CD moves... all of her normals can link into EX Decide under the right conditions.

I wasn't saying that. Counter hop CD wires, who would want to use it?

Every single Vice player with meter I've met throws that out all the time.

synce

Iori Yagami (Claw Iori) is a meter hungry character who can do a lot of damage at once. He is also a recommended character for beginner player as he teaches "KOF" to individuals. Claw Iori does not have any "real" gimmicks so to speak, other than his cross up j4B (The Taco). You can use his Taco out of back dash to space yourself more. He has decent normals, command grab and BnB combos that are relatively easy to perform. Generally, he can do well from up close. In the neutral game, make us of st.C (close st.C), j.B or j.D as a potential anti-air depending on the space. To "interrupt" the opponents offense or to space yourself out a bit... st.B and hop D are good for keeping the opponent at certain spaces. You can use qcb+B as a "command dash" of a sort because it does not have any whiff animation unless he is close to the opponent. If the opponent is knocked away, you can draw yourself closer for a potential mix up or a bit of scare factor. Otherwise, you can choose to retain the space, run up hop, run up block, etc... (react to what the opponent does and/or make a read - there a lot of quick decisions to make as this is a fast paced fighting game). Close Standing D is also a decent anti-air.Note: Iori has a lot of combo starters with meter. When the opponent gets too defensive, you can go for a command grab (hcf+P) or just a tick throw. EX qcb+P has low invincibility. EX qcb+K is relatively safe on block and will launch the opponent. Iori's EXDM (qcfhcb+P) and EX qcb+K have invincibility towards projectiles. The EXDM also has invincibility properities in general on its start up. EX DP+P is a decent anti-air to use in moderate as it will also launch the opponent for a juggle combo. Make sure you convert the damage carefully from his command grab or any of his launchers.
Short term combos:
cr.B, cr.A(or st.A), f+A, qcb+C
close st.C, f+A, qcb+C, DP+C
close st.C, f+A, qcb+B

The thing to note about KOF is that there are a lot of great mobility options, especially as far as meter is concerned.

Mature's play style is centered around calculated rush down (... actually... most character rush down to a degree but they have their methodology for doing which is why it is important to learn how to play "KOF" in itself, rather than the characters). Mature is also considered to be relatively versatile. She builds meter very quickly, which is why you may see her commonly being used as a point character. She has a projectile that which she can zone around with or can be used to start an offense (you can sort of see it as a "assist" of a sort. The projectile has a bit of start up but you follow up easily after releasing the projectile.
Close st.C and st.A an extremely fast normal and great anti-air tool. For... hit confirms and block strings, you cr.B and st.B are you main tools. Use other normals in moderation to keep the opponent at bay. Do NOT over rely on rekkas as they are generally unsafe on block after the first hit. DP+P~P (the last punch input) will leave Mature at plus frames at the lower heights, so try to time them carefully as you pressure the opponent. You can also cross up with DP+P~P series (mainly the DP+A~P inputs). Mature's qcbhcf+K is very good for beating out projectiles or extremely obvious jump ins and it is also great for finishing short term combos as the damage will not scale much (not too many hits at all). Retain a safe functional game play while pressuring the opponent with normals... but remember, adapt to your opponent. Mature is still considered very versatile even without meter.
Mature isn't beginner friendly at all, due to the fact that a lot of better options require precise timing and use of constant frame traps. Mature's damage output is also generally great but her better combos require a moderate amount of execution on the same terms as... Yuri or Takuma for example (in fact, when it comesto combos, Mature is generally considered one of the difficult characters to perform great combos with, Ash being one of the greatest offenders due to his Sans-Culotte).
Short term combos:
cr.B, st.B, qcb+P x3 (if the opponent is blocking do not use rekka... or if you do... at least stop the rekka at the first input so that you can maintain safety).
st.C, DP+A~P, st.C (reset)
st.C, qcb+P x3 (Meterless punish combo. Extra damage post jump in).

Vice is a character whom is also meter hungry and is generally considered one of the best anchors in the game besides other characters such as Kim, Shen, Claw Iori himself or Leona for example. If Vice has meter, almost anything she does will lead into a full combo (a la EX Sleeve).
She has pretty decent normals... particuarly nice air to air (j.A, j.C and j.CD are great in many scenarios depending on what you are going to do and how you adapt to the opponents movement). Vice's st.CD also has deceiving range and can be good when used in moderation against opponents that are whiffing. EX qcb+P has invincibility start up but is still not safe on block. "Can" be a decent wake up options if you are careful. EX Sleeve will catch opponents even if they are in the air reset which is the very reason why Vice is notorious in high level game play. Remember to carefully use those normals, though. DP+C is good to use on small occassions... against projectile characters. Just keep in mind that there are universal options to consider when dealing with projectiles. Emphasize on those normals and movement because Vice does advocate good fundamental game play due to how her moves are arranged.
The reason why she is not necessarily beginner friendly is because players tend to over rely on jCD and EX Sleeve combo, without paying attention to the situations at hand and that she still has plenty of gimmicks to consider in order for the player to handle her.
If you want to punish an opponent with a HD combo... go for D~D target combo from up close then BC on hit for another D~D to cancel into another special move (practice this in moderation on training mode).
Short term combos:
cr.B x4, qcb+A~qcf+P (Be sure to confirm with those crouching light kicks).
st.C, f+A, fhcf+P (command grab)
st.C, f+A, qcb+~C~qcf+P (Punish)
Keep in mind that Vice's command grab is 1 frame. That means she can potentially punish better because of this against opponents that end up close to her on block against moves that are normally considered safe.

A good place to look for KOF community for an online outlet, Dream Cancel and Orochinagi are very good resources.
As for offline events, Colorado (See KingsofCO for a reference) and SoCal are generally well known areas that WILL play KOF for sure.
If you need more help, see the first page OP for all links. Plenty of sweet tutorials for you watch gradually over time. Keep in mind that it is a very goodidea to emphasize on movement, short term spacing, tick throws, knowing when to block, punish, etc.
Also note... as you level yourself up... try to finish your block strings with light normals because most character will have frame advantage on block anyway. If youDO wish to space yourself away from the opponent, use a special move... or any sort of move that causes push back on block. While the game generally does favor the rush down approach - multiple play styles are advocated!

Wow, big thanks for taking the time to type all that haha I'll be in the lab next week trying all this out

quash

I wasn't saying that. Counter hop CD wires, who would want to use it?

Every single Vice player with meter I've met throws that out all the time.

I was actually agreeing with you. I was just pointing out that her other normals are so good that she doesn't even need to use her CD moves, which are also good.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD