The Nomad Warrior(A Leon fact thread)

DontForkWitMe

9040268164_998cb7f09b_b.jpg

this thread is to specifically detail what we know about Leon in DOA5 Ultimate.

Alright E3 has come and gone and as expected we haven't gotten much info at all on Leon and how he plays now in DOA5U. All we have to go on are little snippets of him in action from the trailer and from a match vid that didn't show much.

What we do know:

Costume Selection
C1: Iconic desert camouflage military attire with Turban
C2: Rambo inspired outfit with red bandanna
C3:Casual style clothing with black tanktop oval shaped shades, and red pants

Character Model
pic_leon_02.jpg

As many people have pointed out once his new look was revealed Leon looks noticeably older than in previous DOAs with more varied wrinkles, crows feet, and other signs of an aged warrior. He is a 44 year old mercenary who primarily roams the harsh deserts of the middle east and it shows in his new look and suits him perfectly.

Fighting Style
Leon originally debuted in DOA2 and was a replacement for the Russian Assassin Bayman who appeared in the original DOA. Bayman used a grappling based martial art called Sambo and focused on incapacitating the opponent with strong bone breaking submission holds.

Leon inherited this style along with many moves Bayman had from the original DOA along with brand new moves. Later on Bayman returned in DOA2:Hardcore and its future revisions where both characters were considered "clones" due to their similarities and shared animations/moves.

It wasn't until DOA3 where their differences started to show. Bayman had advanced holds added to his arsenal and focused on a more tactical and defensive style of sambo where as Leon had a Air throw and a tackle stance added for him to exemplify his more brute force offensive style of sambo

By the time DOA4 released their difference increased even further with Bayman focusing more exclusively on Sambo and its defensive properties and Leon distancing himself from pure sambo and using a varied form of a brawler like style with sambo thrown on top.

Dead or Alive 5 released and to many upset fans Leon was cut from the roster leaving Bayman as the sole representative of the Sambo style and a newcomer called Mila as a sort of new replacement of Leon who uses a MMA style of combat which featured Leons tackle grapple. Although Mila shared that move she still wasn't a replacement for Leon faithful who preferred his more brutal and roughhouse style of combat and have sent out many tweets and messages for TN to bring him back to DOA5 as DLC. Months later after DOA5's release TN revealed they were working on a full expansion called DOA5 Ultimate and later revealed that Leon will once again be a playable character.

As of today the official bio of Leon now states that he no longer will utilize Sambo and is officially using CQC(Close Quarters Combat) which implies that his changes and playstyle are now completely different from Bayman and the "clone" stigma he faced will no longer be applied from previous games.

Last edited:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Here is some info.

:3::3::P: used to be very very safe in DOA 4. In another life, it may even have been a guard break. It was a high crush, too. You could pressure until the end of times with this thing

In this game, it is unsafe. It cannot be used in the same manner unless you enjoy playing risky. This is the price you pay for getting a sitdown stun into launch, into desert falcon that works after the first hit of critical. I will hear no bitching about this, it is still a AAA attack.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
:6::K: still has great recovery and the stun on CH puts you in a good position.

In general, this character is just perfect the way he is right now. If they fuck with him, I'll be super pissed at TN because they've already fucked too much with Bass.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
:6::K: still has great recovery and the stun on CH puts you in a good position.

In general, this character is just perfect the way he is right now. If they fuck with him, I'll be super pissed at TN because they've already fucked too much with Bass.

You're in a fairly good position right now. I think basically everyone agrees your character is weak and thats all the feedback they are hearing, which means they are obligated to buff him. If he was strong out of the gate they would be more likely to nerf him due to the immediate feedback.

Even in development they think about these things.

Leon is strong right now, but so many of his tools are good that it would be hard to cripple him by just breaking one or two of his toys. He's in a fairly good place as well.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
@Rikuto Leon's design was such that he was always good even back in DOA2A. :P::6::P:, :WR :K:, good catch throws, air throw, great synergy with walls and really good damage. I remember back in DOA2 where Desert Falcon just auto corrected itself. The chunks of life he takes out of an opponent's bar is a very impressive sight. It's just that he's always been rather underrated but I always kept him as a secondary back in DOA3.

Bass on the other hand was probably designed for someone with the patience of Ghandi.

DontForkWitMe

Here is some info.

:3::3::P: used to be very very safe in DOA 4. In another life, it may even have been a guard break. It was a high crush, too. You could pressure until the end of times with this thing

In this game, it is unsafe. It cannot be used in the same manner unless you enjoy playing risky. This is the price you pay for getting a sitdown stun into launch, into desert falcon that works after the first hit of critical. I will hear no bitching about this, it is still a AAA attack.

Sounds good to me Im just glad the mutha fucka is back. him being a complete beast is just icing on the already delicious cake. His pressure and stun game are gonna be scary with his high launchers, 2 in 1's, chargeable attacks, actual guard crushes that give him guaranteed damage and his trusty desert falcon to punish those who dare try to hold him...and i will enjoy every minute of it.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
This character will attract a lot of people outside the community. He has a good mixture of a lot of things that make him solid.

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
Here is some info.

Checking to see if 33p was still safe was the FIRST thing I did when I got to sparring and man was I disappointed to see it -11 on block.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
You need to delay the K slightly. If you K as fast as you can you will whiff (and be at a huge disadvantage) unless your opponent holds because they will still be crouching from the strike.

Edit: His hit-throw is actually pretty easy to use online against people when you get the timing down (especially if you can bait a hold). I can pull it off 4 out of 5 of the times now when I go for it and get the chance.
Excuse the final missed throw, my intentions were to open that gate but I had a lag spike at that particular moment (and my 214s and 236s still aren't that great either...).

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD