Tina okizeme

shinryu

After getting in some more lab and playtime with the (admittedly fradulent) online while the local scene figures out what's up, I'm beginning to think what Tina really wants out of life are hard knockdowns. After almost all of her throws (including her ground throws for the most part), you're generally right on top of the opponent or at just about the tip of the rising kick range. Given her basic crappiness in close to any decent striker and her plethora of ways to get in that give you knockdown and are relatively safe (6f+k, 66k, 2f+k, 99pk/2k) it seems more and more like her style should revolve around using these to get in and get the knockdown to force pressure on wakeup, in tandem with 66f+p and her frame advantage attacks (7k, 46p, 1k to some extent even if it is grossly unsafe on block). The question then becomes how best to exploit that.

Here's my current thoughts and strategy. For this example, assume we've got a standard knockdown into ground throw, so typically from launcher to 8p to 2f+p or 6f+k to 2f+p.

I think your best option is probably to 33f crouch dash cancel and hold 3 at just about the tip of hold 3p range. The reasoning being that this puts you in optimal position to threaten with both a fast if unsafe mid punch (hold 3p; followup p somewhat mitigates safety issue however) and a relatively fast and definitely safe mid kick (3k), as well as to be able to let off and 64f+p to JO Cyclone or possibly 3f+p for the JO Bomb. This should let you cover most of the opponent's options if they choose a normal wakeup; they shouldn't generally be able to beat the strikes out if timed properly, and they will have to decide between mid kick and mid punch if they hold. If they guard or hold, they risk the (hi-counter) throw for another 80 to 120 points of damage and another knockdown; odds are that will be the round if they screw up again. 3f+p might be situationally useful if they have some sort of way to get around the mids (thinking Helena here, possibly other characters); but in general you're forcing the mid/throw mixup from here.

The opponent can rising kick, but this is a very, very bad idea against Tina. In particular, sitting in crouch will bait a mid rising kick, which you should be able to punish on reaction with the mid kick hold or, better yet, advanced mid kick hold. That's going to be 50 odd damage into the mixup (66f+p or 3f+p against backturned, thanks to Magnus Core for this one) which will possibly net you another 90 damage if they respond incorrectly. The low kick can be easily held as well, and you should usually be able to shift to 6f+k in time to crush the low rising kick for counterhit damage to ground throw to reset. I'm not sure of the frames on block but a low throw might be guaranteed on the low rising kick, in which case countering it isn't even necessary.

I had thought it might be a good idea to try to play around at the tip of the rising kick range and try to land 46p or 3p+k for guard breaks, but I don't think this is as effective or necessary. The rising kicks are so easily punished I think you're better off in the opponent's face face since one bad choice can shave half their life off and both the mid options force a choice as well (either against hold 3pp or hold 3p/throw, or 3kk/3kp/3k-throw). I think elbow may be viable here too but I like hold 3p for evasiveness against highs mainly. Thoughts?

shinryu

Surprised there hasn't been a lot of interest, it really seems like getting that hard knockdown is such a big part of her game, but in any case:

From the frame data, it looks like a low throw should be guaranteed after blocking a low rising kick. So you really don't even have to worry about countering; sitting in crouch block should basically shut down all their rising attack options aside from character-specific ones. Assuming you can counter mid-kick on reaction you should be good.

TRI Mike

Using 8P, 2P+F as her juggle is a little weak because she has more damaging options even against heavy weights. Sometimes even giving her an easy 2P as okizeme instead of a ground grab. This is something I think everyone who plays Tina must understand. In some situations, it's better to go for a 2P instead of the ground grab. Juggling an opponent near a wall is one of those situations.

Some of the moves that give her a free ground throw are:
:6::H+K:
:214::P:
:4::P+K:
:2::P+K: :K:

PacManila

To dodge rising middle kicks, I've been using 46F+P . With enough space (about a backdash worth and maybe a little more) and a small charge if necessary, the throw will get them right after the rising kick ends.

shinryu

To dodge rising middle kicks, I've been using 46F+P . With enough space (about a backdash worth and maybe a little more) and a small charge if necessary, the throw will get them right after the rising kick ends.

I've not had a lot of luck with this, it never seems like the spacing is right. People can also get up normally and screw this up, so it's definitely a risky thing to do.

From discussions in the general thread it seems like trying to 3p+kf over rising kicks does work (I've done it), but it also seems like it's very, very finicky and much riskier than just taking the hold or low throw against a rising kick. If by some chance you have to block a mid kick you're at +6, so throwing doesn't work but I think you should have good odds on 66f+p/3f+p or 3k/hold 3p/33k as mixups.

My big question is what the ideal moves against a tech or standard wakeup are? Given how long the invincibility frames seem to be I whiff things a hell of a lot against people who are teching. This might be where p+k/7p/7k or an 8k/8f+p mixup might come into their own. The execution on all those moves is long enough to probably consistently tag the first vulnerable frames, and the opponent has to make a decision between holding the dropkick or ducking the frankensteiner right quick if it's in their face like that.

PacManila

Did you mean 4P+K~F? There are times when I was able to jump over them, but most of the time I end up landing in BT in front of them. Maybe I'm doing it too late, but it has been inconsistent for me.

I agree that 46F+P is a risk to throw out there. One of the reasons I do use it is because I usually try to condition my opponents to watch out for her 4P+K since it crushes lows (as long as you don't do it early) and gets you a free ground throw. For techs and standing blocks, I've been trying to incorporate 46P at a good distance to get frame advantage on block (you get 4+ at max distance, but you get 0 if you do it too close) and press the attack. Been having mixed results, but mostly because I'm still trying to figure out when and where I should do it.

Overall in terms of oki, I try spacing with her first before getting in close. I often see a lot of people just try to out-hit her even when they get up, which is why I use the space to make them whiff. Too bad her 66F+P doesn't give her a lot of distance like Leifang because that would have made that a great throw with space.

ProvesaDark

On wake up, I usually try out 4P+K (H) if I'm close and not near a wall. That way I get behind them. Other than that, I space them out. Back just far away enough to set up 66K, 46P or 6H+K.

shinryu

Sorry, mean 4p+kf, yeah. It's basically worthless as near as I can tell online; even offline it's a guess. I really can't come up with a compelling reason not to bulldog them on knockdown aside from how hard it seems to be to time something to hit against the invincibility frames; while getting BT is great you can get that from an advanced mid kick hold plus 50 damage and guaranteed frame advantage, and the low kick is throw punishable so you can just reset the situation. Getting fancy just doesn't seem to do her any good.

shinryu

There's a post on force techs in the main thread that I think really changes the okizeme situation: 6f+k should force tech with good advantage after most of the guaranteed ground throw knockdowns. While after a throw knockdown you probably don't have much choice but to bait for rising kicks there are definitely now better options to force the opponent up and into a very advantaged situation for Tina. This also suggests ground throws are not optimal enders unless you need the damage to end the round or for some reason want to mix up.

shinryu

The force tech game really does change her best okizeme options, I think. If you have to face a situation where you're up against a rising kick, staying standing and using an advanced mid kick hold or 6f+k to force tech on reaction might be the best options against mid and low rising kicks, respectively; either will net you around 50 damage and give you +9 advantage plus the advanced hold gives a backturned opponent. On the normal wake up you still have 6p/3k as solid options. Hold 3p might also be possible to use but is more difficult with the input from standing.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD