When do you use low (crouching) throws?

Ajax McJones

I know they must be useful, but in fast paced play, I never know when to attempt them. I think ive landed a couple after blocking a low kick, but it seems inconsistent at best. I main tina and she has an attack that put oppenents into a crouching state for a throw. But beyond that its like I never get a chance to use them.

Any advice for setups or situations?

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Mostly after you block moves which leave the opponent in a crouching state. The best way of learning to low throw punish is doing it on reaction in training mode.

Go for the easier to punish moves first, like Kasumi's 2H+K, or Jann Lee's 2H+K. They are quite unsafe on block, and very easy to throw. Like you said, Tina's 8P on NH (Normal Hit) knocks the opponent down so they can throw the opponent. Zack's 8P used to do the same in DOA2 and DOA3, but I don't know why they removed it (Actually I think you still can, I havent played DOA5LR in a WHILE).

You can also Hi-Counter Throw crouching OHs on reaction, and this applies for Tackle Throws (Mila's 66T, Tina's Spinning Throw, Leon's 33T, Bayman's 33T), which is very good to learn because those characters need those moves to function to their best ability. Even if you don't connect the throw from these attempted counters, the enemy's throw will not connect to you because:

1.) You are already crouching and the throw needs to hit a standing opponent
2.) Because of the Triangle System, the game will register your throw attempt as it had already beaten out the previous OH when it actually hasn't (From the last time I played it was like this)

You can crouching throw Brad Wong's 2P+K and any unsafe moves that lead up to it, and you can do the same for Helena's Bokuho stance (Though one of the most viable to punish is her 214P+K).

Also as you are a Tina player, your 3T is an OH, and you can try and react to counter any moves which have crouching state properties in them. It works, trust me.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
When the opponent is in a deep stun.
Primarily to stop low hold mashers.
Additionally will still leave you at a + advantage, and the simple animation of doing something can scare opponents to hold on reaction to your movement causing you to be able to react to a whiffed hold. I.e, you stun, you low throw, they hold mid thinking you were going to extend, you mid throw for hi-counter.

Ajax McJones

Not to sound noobish but what is a deep stun? Is the like when the opponent is 'crumpling' from a critical strike?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
A long critical stun. Can be anything from a lift stun (Jann Lee's 6PP on counter-hit) to a lean-back stun (any counter hit Jab).

Lulu

I never bother with trying to set them up, I only use Low Throws to punish Unsafe Moves....

But thats just me Because I can't condition the AI to perform Low Holds.

A long critical stun. Can be anything from a lift stun (Jann Lee's 6PP on counter-hit) to a lean-back stun (any counter hit Jab).

So thats what its called. I've always wanted to know. :) Thanks.

Kuga

So:
-punishment
-bait setup (ex. Momiji 1PK - low throw usage instead of second low if enemy is blocking/holding it)
-punishment of low holds when i expect them, like, in water
-Mila's option select game

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD