System When to slow escape?

og23

This is a really stupid question, but I can never realize when it's time to slow escape. I'll get stunned, and by the time I realize it's time to churn butter, it's too late. In all Virtua Fighter games after 4, and even in GGXRD, when you are staggered, a little black box appears to your side of the screen, because VF and GG is pretty much all I play I've somewhat trained myself to look for the box and begin the pressing. The problem is, this is really bad for DOA because there's nothing like that. As much as I would like a clear indication, hoping/bitching for them to put it in isn't really going to solve anything, so do you guys have any tips for letting me know when to churn the butter? I'd appreciate it

Oh yeah, as a side note, if you guys could give me tips on what I should look for when the stun is over, I would also appreaciate it, since it would allow me to actually apply my defensive options when the stun is over. IE: Abare, Evade or Fuzzy Guard

Lulu

My Reccomendation..... Always Slow Escape...... then simply hold when you think you know whats coming next.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
There are certain stuns that stagger escape doesn't work on, otherwise assume that all stuns you can stagger escape.

DOA tries to be minimalist on HUD stuff.

og23

Thanks Mr.Wah, I've noticed that DOA doesn't really like the flashy hud stuff. It's nice.

but I think I worded my question wrong, I know about the stuns you cant slow escape (lift stuns, and gut stuns, right?) but that isn't what I meant to say. What I mean is I know that I should be going to slow escapes whenever possible, what I'm saying is I don't know what to look for when the stun begins, I don't have an indicator to start mashing and it throws me off, therefore making me just guess hold all the time and getting bodied by throws. I'm asking if there is any sort of indicator I can look for that tells me when I get put in stun, so I know when to mash? Sorry for lack of clarity

Lulu

LoL.... sorry.... can't help you there.

That and Stagger Escaping won't work so well against me (or anyone who plays this game pretty well)....... I always use non-stagger escapable Set-Ups for all my mains...... I assume thats what everybody does.

Stagger Escaping is just something pros do to frustrate new players.....

Are you playing agains people who don't use non-stagger escapable Combos constantly ?

og23

Yes, I play against a particularly annoying player in my scene who puts me in CB setups with characters I know don't have many CB setups. Regardless of how useful it is, I think it's always something worth doing, it's easier to figure out someone who's doing "by the book" setups, because they usually end up only being able to go a certain way. Regardless of that, If I get hit by an Ayane 6K for example, any setup after that isn't real, because I should be slow escaping it so it's only +8 for the opponent, not +15

Lulu

In that specific Scenario.... and only that specific Scenario..... I reccommend my first reccomendation.

When you get stunned.... immediately start stagger escaping and maybe you can block the next strike in the setup. Hopefully they get the message and cut that shit out. ;)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
What you're describing is basically reacting to being put into stun so you can stagger fastest sooner.

Unfortunately that's basically difficult to help with.

Lulu

What you're describing is basically reacting to being put into stun so you can stagger fastest sooner.

Unfortunately that's basically difficult to help with.

Its So True It Has To Be Repeated. ;)

Or maybe it doesn't.

og23

Eh, I imagined as much, thanks for at least trying to help me out though, looks like I have something to practice :/

Lulu

I've always thought:

"If I can just familiarise myself with the opponents animation of strikes that can be stagger escaped then I can stagget escape much sooner on reaction."

But then I thought:

"But if can do..... wouldn't it be simpler to just Hold that move ?"

Then my nose bleeds and I comfort myself with a warm cup of tea.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I've always thought:

"If I can just familiarise myself with the opponents animation of strikes that can be stagger escaped then I can stagget escape much sooner on reaction."

But then I thought:

"But if can do..... wouldn't it be simpler to just Hold that move ?"

Then my nose bleeds and I comfort myself with a warm cup of tea.

It's why some players will option select a hold while trying to poke, incase they get out-poked. Lopedo does this a lot.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Generally the first stun you're put into you're not going to be reacting to in time and hitting full speed. Make it a goal to get there by the next attack.

Ideally the stagger is going to be used to defend against slower attacks like CB's or sit down stuns which come towards the end of the threshold anyway. It's also good for nullifying any delayed strikes a person might use to muscle his way through any potential holds.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD