WIll they add a training mode as rich as Capcom's have been?

ShinMaruku

Sometimes to really get people into the groove of doing combos in the right order and set up, can only be learned when shown it in a not so stressful environment.

I think the game could really grow if we had some good training mode monsters.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Personally I just hope they retain the frame data from DOA:D.

That was pretty much amazing.

HokutoNoBen

I'll just speak up on behalf of a fellow SRKer on this matter. Honestly? Going for a Capcom-style training mode would be akin to settling for less. Especially if you want to have something that could serve as a nice teaching apparatus for possible new players. With this likely being the first DOA game many have played since the series went Xbox-exclusive, first impressions are everything. Now would definitely be the time to equip players both old and new with the tools necessary to showcase just how in-depth this game can go.

So, with that said, I'd wholeheartedly back up the suggestion for something more akin to Virtua Fighter 4 Evo's training mode. Or taking a cue from Skullgirls'.

Raansu

I'll just speak up on behalf of a fellow SRKer on this matter. Honestly? Going for a Capcom-style training mode would be akin to settling for less. Especially if you want to have something that could serve as a nice teaching apparatus for possible new players. With this likely being the first DOA game many have played since the series went Xbox-exclusive, first impressions are everything. Now would definitely be the time to equip players both old and new with the tools necessary to showcase just how in-depth this game can go.

So, with that said, I'd wholeheartedly back up the suggestion for something more akin to Virtua Fighter 4 Evo's training mode. Or taking a cue from Skullgirls'.

Anything is better than the training modes that doa currently has. I'd give anything for a replay function that you can set to the AI.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
DOA training mode may seem bare bones, but there are very few things you can't accurately test with it. . . the okizeme options are really where it needs to improve.

Doesn't have to be fancy to be effective. You could be stuck with some anime-fighters training mode where you basically just fight an invincible opponent with no time limit, and no other options.

And it's not all rainclouds and shitstorms on the DOA front, like I said, we've got frame data in our actual training mode. How many fighters bother to do that?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Would rather it gave you a list of the frame data in the moveset as well, instead of just counting the frames as they happen in-game.

Okizeme game can't be tested in current training mode as the AI opponent (uncontrolled, just set to stand or crouch or whatever) stands up on the 0 frame. Setting it to an AI Controlled level will make it get up on the 1 frame much like a Playable Opponent.

OSTCarmine

DOA training mode may seem bare bones, but there are very few things you can't accurately test with it. . . the okizeme options are really where it needs to improve.

Doesn't have to be fancy to be effective. You could be stuck with some anime-fighters training mode where you basically just fight an invincible opponent with no time limit, and no other options.

And it's not all rainclouds and shitstorms on the DOA front, like I said, we've got frame data in our actual training mode. How many fighters bother to do that?
Agreed. But like Hokuto said, now is a good time to add some more features to make it more user friendly

ShinMaruku

I found capcom's trails mode really helpful in getting better at the game in putting a situatuation and a combo together in a good way. Of course I don't mean whole cloth from capcom, but rather take some parts and add what's deficeint and adding things that doa would be better at.

Berzerk!

Other fighting games are finally incorporating an online playable training mode, something DOA fans have requested a number of times, so I hope that strengthens its chances of becoming standard and appearing in DOA5.

Trials and other options are good, but the main thing of importance in the DOA training mode is the Exercise that teaches you the moves more effectively than any other method. So long as they retain that, it will be one of the best training modes around.

ShinMaruku

If there was a way for some people to record their combos and save it to a data base.. That would really be helpful for teaching people if it were put into the training mode.

HokutoNoBen

Agreed. But like Hokuto said, now is a good time to add some more features to make it more user friendly

Yep. In the end, there are two main things that are crucial for the continued prosperity of the fighting game genre:

1) Netcode and the continuing research to refine the means to make it better.

2) Tutorials, which are not only a means to help refine skills from the established base, but help bring new people on board (and maybe even keep them there).

Again, this shouldn't be about re-inventing the wheel, so much as it's about keeping air in the tires. VF4EVO, Tobal 2, BBCS. Take your pick or cite all three, but all of them did this thing and did it quite well.

I think the sooner fighting game developers realize that they need to deduce better means of helping people actually learn their games, the less we'll see of them deliberately "dumbing down" their games, which usually doesn't make anybody happy.

OSTCarmine

I think the sooner fighting game developers realize that they need to deduce better means of helping people actually learn their games, the less we'll see of them deliberately "dumbing down" their games, which usually doesn't make anybody happy.
Man I HATE it when they do that! TN has never tried to do this though [as far as I know] and I applaud them for that. I recently got into MVC3 [a little late, I know] but I did not like it at all. It was just way too simplified. I loved MVC1, but 3 just did not do it for me.
Also - BlazBlue and GuiltyGear are awesome. I love Arc! Now if only the KOF series would get back on track...

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Technically the "dumbed down" the game when they added throw animations and universalized all throws to the :H+P: or :F+P: command, and making the freestep version the default for maneuvering around instead of jumping and requiring to be holding :F: in order to move into the foreground and background.

Oh yes, no one complains about those types of dumbing down of course, but they do complain about others such as returning the offensive holds back to the DOA1 style where every character has one.

Raansu

Man I HATE it when they do that! TN has never tried to do this though [as far as I know] and I applaud them for that. I recently got into MVC3 [a little late, I know] but I did not like it at all. It was just way too simplified. I loved MVC1, but 3 just did not do it for me.
Also - BlazBlue and GuiltyGear are awesome. I love Arc! Now if only the KOF series would get back on track...

DoA4 was dumbed down immensely.

OSTCarmine

Technically the "dumbed down" the game when they added throw animations and universalized all throws to the :H+P: or :F+P: command, and making the freestep version the default for maneuvering around instead of jumping and requiring to be holding :F: in order to move into the foreground and background.

Oh yes, no one complains about those types of dumbing down of course, but they do complain about others such as returning the offensive holds back to the DOA1 style where every character has one.
lol, good point. When its a good thing nobody complains.

HokutoNoBen

I wouldn't mind returning back to the DOA1/++ style of holding, provided I get much more in the way of explanation than I did when I played it for the first time on a friend's Saturn way back in the day. :confused:

But hey, as long as it's going to remain a crux of the DOA style? They might as well amp it up and bit and force people to actually learn how to use it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The ironic thing about DOA4 reverting back to the "DOA1" style of offensive holds, is that they did the exact opposite in regard to the stun system.

In DOA1, you could not hold out of stun as there was only hit stun but no critical stun in the game. There was also very little deep hit stuns in the game typically a counter hit mid wake-up kick or a jump punch/kick, so it wasn't often to get a free launcher. Critical stun was implemented in DOA++, but there wasn't that many critical stunning attacks. This carried into DOA2 and DOA3 where the game was about finding hit stun launchers or stun > launch.

In DOA4, you could hold out of critical stun immediately, regardless of the type of critical stun you were in. In addition to this idea, contrary to all previous versions of DOA, Team NINJA made it so nearly every attack put you in a critical stun state. This made the game so much more stun heavy as you couldn't play the hit stun launchers metagame but instead were forced into an overabusive stun > stun/launch > stun/launch > stun/launch> launch metagame.

In all versions of DOA however, the training mode rarely allowed the player to realize this or figure out how to implement it properly. Itagaki went on record (i.e. told me directly) that he hated training mode and would rather players learn by playing other people in an actual match instead of sitting in training mode trying to "study".

Just a random observance probably meant to go in grap3's "Things that are stuck in Mr. Wah's head" thread.

HokutoNoBen

Is that so? Very interesting.

I guess that's just more proof positive that Itagaki may be a great action game developer, but his ethics relating to fighting games was always something that was dubious.

On another note, Wah, do you have a NeoGAF account or stand to get one? When the hype train for DOA5 really starts getting underway, it may pay to have some one like you around to drop knowledge like this. Plus, you could always stand to have another means of helping to propagate this fine site of yours. 8D

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I unfortunately don't. Grap3 tends to post on there so he sends everyone this way. I don't have any intention of joining NeoGAF.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD