Balance 240 vs 300 life

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Home isn't THAT scary considering today we found out the breakable walls are techable, so that gets rid of 1/3 of the breakable objects as guaranteed damage. Also, if you're facing someone like Leon or Hayabusa, just throw them out of the building.

I said this at the tournament today, but at the next casuals we should play 240 life, home only and get as much data as possible so we can make a more informed decision.

It was apparent from playing in 240 HP that the Home Stage was truly designed for 300 HP. The stage represents all the criticisms of 240 HP including too much damage from environmental impacts. Once we get a proper understanding of Home's potential damage, we'll include it in future 240 HP tourneys. God forbid you fight Hayabusa or Leon in Home for example and get flung all over the place. The stage benefits certain characters over others a little too much and feels gimmicky.

Juihau

Home isn't THAT scary considering today we found out the breakable walls are techable, so that gets rid of 1/3 of the breakable objects as guaranteed damage.
Actually, checking it myself, the walls that cause the unholdable stun aren't techable. Or are you referring to something else?

Brute

Standard Donor
It's always "I can with ____ do ___"

We all do realize that most characters have brutal combos in the Home, some being just a bit more situational than others, right?

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
I have a wall set up with genfu that does 144. Close hit shoulder 16p on counter hit plus wall combo. ill always get the close hit/counter hit because I'm near a wall and I only use 16p after my vortex throw (214t) not to mention I have sit down stun combos (guaranteed damage) of 108+ depending on weight. Genfu is way too broken on 240. I get a deep stun from my parry and 3p which crushes everything basically. People will have less chances to get out of my shit which means ill win more than I do now. which is scary.

Tenryuga

Guys it's apparent 270 is the right answer. I don't mind 240 for shits and giggles but competitively 270 seems ideal. I don't care what happens as long as strike damage is buffed because unless you are a handful of characters your damage output is gutter trash on 300HP. Characters that have no threat factor become a threat on 240. IDGAF about what characters that are already threatening can do. The point is to make the few times shitty characters get hits all that more relevant. Nobody gives a damn about taking 45 points of damage from a 46P on 300 health. Everybody doesn't want to take that hit on 240 and 270.

I dont care how much damage I'm taking from something. If I fucked up I deserve to lose every point of health. Not every character gives that satisfaction on 300 HP. On 240 everyone has it. Same can be argued for 270.

Last edited:

RoboJoe

Actually, checking it myself, the walls that cause the unholdable stun aren't techable. Or are you referring to something else?

I may have got it wrong then, since I did think it weird at the time. I'll double check tomorrow to make sure it wasn't just a timing problem.

I actually think Home is one of the best stages to play in with 240.

I don't agree. For myself it's a matter of whether or not Home is tolerable enough to prevent a ban. I keep wavering between the two sides, but to be honest I don't particularly care either way. I never really liked the level. The only vanilla doa5 levels I like are Temple of the dragon and the top half of Scramble.

Last edited:

Batcommander

One bad thing about 300 life is that matches can get really boring to spectate at times, especially with 3 rounds and no more force techs. The pacing can be sluggish at times.

I dont know how 240 affects balance, but i played some matches this weekend and it was quite fun. Lisa felt more like a high risk, high reward character, instead of high risk, low to medium reward.

Berzerk!

I have a wall set up with genfu that does 144. Close hit shoulder 16p on counter hit plus wall combo. ill always get the close hit/counter hit because I'm near a wall and I only use 16p after my vortex throw (214t) not to mention I have sit down stun combos (guaranteed damage) of 108+ depending on weight. Genfu is way too broken on 240. I get a deep stun from my parry and 3p which crushes everything basically. People will have less chances to get out of my shit which means ill win more than I do now. which is scary.

How about people run some tournaments and test

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Y'know....after SERIOUSLY sitting down and re-evaluating these three life settings in this current build of the game, 240 is not a great life setting. Not right now, because it's not going to balance anything out at all.

270 is fine, 300 is justifiable with this game's current damage increase.

Last edited:

RoboJoe

For those who dislike 240 life, would you feel any different if the amount of rounds needed to win was also increased?

Tenryuga

It's already been stated that the tournament standard is staying at 300. I'm assuming we are still having this discussion for future releases of DOA?

RoboJoe

It would give people more chances to escape "your shit" as you put it, while still emphasizing the strengths of 240.

It's already been stated that the tournament standard is staying at 300. I'm assuming we are still having this discussion for future releases of DOA?

I think this thread is more for just gauging interest rather than an official petition to change the life.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
That would negate the point of 240 though joe. 240 life would make people play safer (imo it wouldn't because most people have no clue how to play safe) but if I had more rounds I could play just as reckless as before. making it redundant imo.

bokuho I see what you're saying but based on character damage the way it is now do you really want matches ending fast as hell?

Number 13

I do just make the health like Divekick :^)

That way the tourney can be done before dinner time since we all in a rush.

Edit: I'm gonna be real. I don't get the impression of "Long as hell" with the current 300 life under the established conditions of DoA5U.

Sure lower life options feels faster naturally in comparison, but that doesn't reflect the actual pace of 300 life itself. Like how your arms feels light after doing some weight lifting. An artificial comparison of how your arms used to feel before. Maybe if the current game format was anywhere close to reaching time overs like SFxT initially then we should worry about the established health setting more.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I'm only going to say this once. Those of you saying that 300 life is too long under the game's current damage meta, really need to look at characters oveall damage. My main and pocket characters can do 70-110 on average.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD