Best ways to practice movement

Hey all,

Does anyone have any good training drills that help develop better movement (towards and away from the opponent)? I'm finding it difficult to practice this in a match when there's already so much else to think about, plus I don't want to come across as messing about and wasting other players time. Thanks for your help :).

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Rikuto to came up with an interesting way to move forward and guard and react to lows as well; he did 66 and when he wanted to guard, he went from 8 to 4 (874) and if he saw a low, he'd immediately hit 1 and guard to.

For walking backwards, as long as you cancel any movement into a 7 direction, you should be safe.

Korean back dashing is something you'll learn by just doing reverse fireball motions continously. It's a good idea to start with a back dash and then start doing kbd.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I use arcade stick so I can't answer that for you.

I can say that for Xbox Pads you by default use your thumb differently than you would on a PS pad.

PS pad users will most commonly use their thumb tip and move their whole thumb around the pad.
Xbox pad users tend to put their thumb knuckle in the center of the pad and tilt/rotate their thumb while keeping the knuckle in the center.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I won't recommend using thumb stuck for movement either. Sure way to not get enough freedom moving around.

But people adapt to their own way of playing the game, so do whatever makes you feel comfortable as long as you get good results.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I won't recommend using thumb stuck for movement either. Sure way to not get enough freedom moving around.

But people adapt to their own way of playing the game, so do whatever makes you feel comfortable as long as you get good results.

in DOA the movement is pretty shit anyways outside of special moves so im not too concerned about it

Lots of replies, thanks all :). I'm a stick player and i think because It's still not natural I tend to tense up and sometimes instead of 44 or 66 I get just 4 or 6. Alternatively I think that I haven't got time to get out of the way and sit there blocking.

I'm working on kbd in training but have never had the confidence to attempt it in a match yet. The same goes for wavedash which I believe is 6, 236, 6, 236, ...?

I don't use 11 or 33 dashes, when are these used besides fuzzy guarding?

UncleKitchener: Can you explaing this part a bit more 'For walking backwards, as long as you cancel any movement into a 7 direction, you should be safe.'

synce

IMO KBD is not as useful in DOA as in something like Tekken since this game has relatively shitty whiff punishers.. I think you can get by with alternating 7 and 6 (no dashing). A lot of players will hit buttons if you merely walk towards them.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Yeah, movement isn't that great in this game. It's one thing I hope they tighten in later iterations.

Lots of replies, thanks all :). I'm a stick player and i think because It's still not natural I tend to tense up and sometimes instead of 44 or 66 I get just 4 or 6. Alternatively I think that I haven't got time to get out of the way and sit there blocking.

I'm working on kbd in training but have never had the confidence to attempt it in a match yet. The same goes for wavedash which I believe is 6, 236, 6, 236, ...?

I don't use 11 or 33 dashes, when are these used besides fuzzy guarding?

UncleKitchener: Can you explaing this part a bit more 'For walking backwards, as long as you cancel any movement into a 7 direction, you should be safe.'

Wave dashing in my opinion is pretty pointless even if you try to intimidate your opponent. It really serves no purpose and isn't really that much faster than dashing or running forward.

11 Dashes don't work in the DOA engine since there is no reverse back dash (except in DOA1/++) and 33 crouchdashing is either for fuzzy or for accessing your while-rising or full crouching moves.

When you do 44_ (hold the second input down to walk backwards, you're still vulnerable to attacks. In VF you can crouchdash cancel it at certain frames and you can do that in DOA too, but if you want to keep away, then you switch from 4 to 7 and hold upback. This way you're guarding and walking backwards at the same time. For auto guarding lows while walking backwards, you can hold down 1.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD