Brad Wong and Shun Di: Similar moves?

shunwong

I play Shun Di in VF5FS and I've noticed there are a lot of Brad's moves that are similar to Shun Di's.

The problem is I don't know if the moves are performed in the same way in both games.

Can anyone who knows both games fill me in?

For example: How is Shun Di's BT G+K performed using Brad?

shunwong

back turned :6::K:

Thanks for the info!

What about these moves (They are Shun's moves and I think I saw them on Brad too):

66P+K
the grab that takes Shun/Brad to the back of the opponent (6P+G for Shun)
backturned P+K+G,P,P
4K+G
P+K from laying on the ground stance
the grab and K from handstand stance

Seppu

:236::P: / while running :P:
:4::H+P:
back turned :P::P::P:
dokuritsu :4_::K:(:K::K::Link::Link::Link:)
laying feet towards :P:
handstand :H+P:
handstand :K:

the moves from brad's handstand stance are new, so i'm just speculating there.

shunwong

:236::P: / while running :P:
:4::H+P:
back turned :P::P::P:
dokuritsu :4_::K:(:K::K::Link::Link::Link:)
laying feet towards :P:
handstand :H+P:
handstand :K:

the moves from brad's handstand stance are new, so i'm just speculating there.

Thanks a lot for the info man!

I hope to get the hang of Brad well. The inputs are different but not super different.

Do you know any other moves that are similar to Shun Di's? I know there are more, I just don't remember.

Also, what are the differences between the two characters/what playstyle do you recommend for playing Brad?

Seppu

the list goes on. here's a video i found that'll help you out.

as for brad, mix it up and confuse the living shit out of your opponent.

shunwong

Thanks a lot for the vid man!

There are lots of moves that are similar to Shun's and the playstyle you describe is very Shundiesque so perfect :)

Allan Paris

There are lots of moves that are similar to Shun's and the playstyle you describe is very Shundiesque so perfect :)

I am going to give you heads up because I see that you are a VF player. If I had to bet anything on who would win a fight between Brad and Shun, I'd bet my life on Shun. I play Vf as well and Shun Di is nasty, I give him my undivided attention when he's on the screen. Brad on the other hand, so far, is just trick after trick. Don't get me worng, he has gotten better especially from his DOA4 version. Still, he is not in the league of Shun Di.

I hope this does not discourage you from playing him. You will have fun playing with Brad Wong, no doubt. Just don't get your hopes up thinking he and Shun will be similar gameplay-wise.

shunwong

I am going to give you heads up because I see that you are a VF player. If I had to bet anything on who would win a fight between Brad and Shun, I'd bet my life on Shun. I play Vf as well and Shun Di is nasty, I give him my undivided attention when he's on the screen. Brad on the other hand, so far, is just trick after trick. Don't get me worng, he has gotten better especially from his DOA4 version. Still, he is not in the league of Shun Di.

I hope this does not discourage you from playing him. You will have fun playing with Brad Wong, no doubt. Just don't get your hopes up thinking he and Shun will be similar gameplay-wise.

Thanks for your input!

It's not like "I'm a VF player". It's more like VF is the game I suck less at. I'm a beginner player (lower intermediate at best). I'm a sentinel at VF5FS online if that means anything (If I'm not demoted, as I've been demoted from Sentinel twice and there might be a third time...). I want to play Brad...Out of pure lazyness, because I thought It'd be similar to Shun. If it's not...I'll just play another character that does Chinese martial arts and it's easier to use. Any suggestions? I like Christie, Elliot, Gen Fu, Kokoro and Leifang also. With my daughter and my job I consider myself lucky if I get to play 15 minutes a day from monday to friday and an hour or two on weekends.

As for Shun being good in VF5FS, tier lists suggest he's mid tier (although tiers don't mean that much in VF IMO).

For example:

S: Akira
A: Lau, Jacky, Taka, Lion
B: Everyone else

S: Akira, Jacky, Taka, Lion

A: Goh, Vanessa, Brad, Jean

B: Shun, Wolf

C: Lau, Aoi, Pai, Kage, Sarah, Blaze

D: Eileen, Lei-Fei, Jeffry

Allan Paris

I'm aware of tiers in VF, they don't matter me either. Unless you play against some who really knows the game. They'll show you why Akria is S tier or why Jacky is A. Still I think all of charaters can compete with one another, you just have to know the game well.

If Brad doesn't cut it for you, which I hope he does, you choose him first. Eliot, Gen Fu, or Kokoro are great choices for your Chinese fighting styles. Leifang is pretty good too but she is a litter hard to play than those 3 (Eliot, Gen fu, or Kokoro). If you want to play with her by all means do so. Her Tai Chi is nice.

shunwong

I'm aware of tiers in VF, they don't matter me either. Unless you play against some who really knows the game. They'll show you why Akria is S tier or why Jacky is A. Still I think all of charaters can compete with one another, you just have to know the game well.

If Brad doesn't cut it for you, which I hope he does, you choose him first. Eliot, Gen Fu, or Kokoro are great choices for your Chinese fighting styles. Leifang is pretty good too but she is a litter hard to play than those 3 (Eliot, Gen fu, or Kokoro). If you want to play with her by all means do so. Her Tai Chi is nice.

Thanks a lot for this. As you predicted, I don't have a clue how to use Brad Wong. I'm trying Kokoro and Elliot (liking Elliot more so far). Any other character that uses chinese martial arts + simple to use? (I haven't unlocked anything yet. I have tried Jann Lee and Leifang also but not for me).

Allan Paris

Jann
Thanks a lot for this. As you predicted, I don't have a clue how to use Brad Wong. I'm trying Kokoro and Elliot (liking Elliot more so far). Any other character that uses chinese martial arts + simple to use? (I haven't unlocked anything yet. I have tried Jann Lee and Leifang also but not for me).

Jann Lee, hands down. He does the simplest shit and puts ridiculous damage on the screen. Eliot is pretty good you can't go wrong there. He has to play the stun game but his CH damage allows him to get away with it.

This the Brad Wong thread. So I won't say anymore on other characters.

DR Balrog

playing brad in the beginning sucks his movement imo is everything you gotta know how to get people off of you so you can start your shenanigans, you have to know what stance to be in for the shenanigan of choice at the time and if that shenanigan is going to get you anywhere at the time. he is not for people looking for quick wins AT ALL I've played him from 08-present and even with his buffs and new stance it's only uphill from here against matches that I'd hoped wouldn't be as bad this time around. Oh well though Keep it stylish, it's time for another...

HoodsXx

I don't know about you DR Balrog, but I find Brad Wong amazing in this game. A lot of his tools work wonders in DOA5 and his mix up game to me anyways, plays a better role than in 4. Especially his HS which does wonders. I find he's able to keep up with quite a few of the cast now, than before which is a big improvement in my honest opinion.

DR Balrog

so then do you have a suggestion for a harassing kasumi/hitomi/hayabusa that's not his standing jab because after a while you can expect them to say " ok he's going to try to punish my unsafe string with standing jab. time to get a free counter" because I'd love to know

HoodsXx

What mix ups do you normally do? I usually just mix up a lot between using :3 :K and either going into BT and baiting a hold from the opponent, or go into it and do either :2 :K, :6 :K, or :p :p :p into a launcher. You can't really harass Kasumi/Hitomi/Busa since they're all initially faster than him. Now if you're going to punish them when they do an unsafe string, best to do :6 :T or Just :T.

DR Balrog

you guys are missing something really important it's not what combo you're doing, but how you get to the combo that's important. anyone can do this move, that move, or the other but brad isn't played that way you need to keep people from harassing you while you harass them and with his terrible speed this isn't something that you can learn over night. We need to figure out approaches to situations not just go " well I like to use this move because it's -3 on block." who cares?? you're still stuck in the same position of no guarantee of getting in with an agitated opponent because you went on the offensive and now he's looking to respond but if you approach the right way and try to get into his/her head and make them miss something they wanted then now the most viable combo for that moment is ready for use. Keep that in mind in these discussions

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD