Character changes and likes/dislikes..

DeathHand

Im ok with the nerfs xD just think hayabusa teleport move needs to be useful again like in doa4

things I like
almost everything in terms of gameplay (lots of cool new motion captures)
love the stages and new music (gaia is my favorite)

momiji is a cool addicion theres like 3 moves that are not original and she could have a few more moves but it was a nice job overall

things I hate
little content for a re release
I mean just one new costume for guys and 2 for females,sure I "got more new costumes" because I only bought like 2 costumes packs (fighter pack and special2) but for the ppl that got all the expensive dlcs...sucks to be them now
I realy hate that all the dlc is listed in the character select menu,are they trying to force me in getting that sh** =7 its like I bought a game and "here, now u gonna have to buy the rest of the game" this is a worst re release than umvs3 at least umvc doesnt slap me in the face with the dlc in the menu

they could have tryed to improved the light and self shadows on the characters like it was on the alpha demo and keep the anti aliasing (at least in the intros and winning poses), the wind physics sometimes are "on" in some characters other times are "off" in other characters... a bit inconsistent

few new moves were added for the existing characters

they need to work more on ein (it was a copy paste job),leon is ok, hes got some new tools

I miss hayate cartwhell dodge/kick

anyways its nice to have the game Im a big doa fan but I learned my lesson, no more doa re releases for me

Brute

Standard Donor
Im ok with the nerfs xD just think hayabusa teleport move needs to be useful again like in doa4
I would actually like him to be more solid in his strikes/mix-ups and less gimmick-reliant, so I'm okay with his teleports being stupid.

Argentus

I just wish they'd get rid of his teleports and bring back his handstand stances.

Because a, teleports shouldn't be in fighters, and b, handstand was cooler.

Rawbietussin

I missed Busa's old handstand stances but no, they had to give it to Brad and also a back-turned version of it. :/

Raansu

So far, I'm enjoying 5U. It's interesting relearning the old characters, for better (Hitomi, Brad, Mila) or worse (Kasumi, Hayabusa, VFs)

As far as the new characters go, I really like what they did with Momiji in just about every regard, and I hope she's now as much a mainstay of DOA as she is in NG. Rachel's fun, but I won't be able to play her seriously unless her force tech gets nerfed. Jacky's a VF, but he's one I can really enjoy just screwing around with. Leon's cool, but I was never really good with slow characters. Ein... is much worse than Hitomi IMHO.

Ein is leagues better.

Actual setups with frame advantage on block that don't require 30 frames of charging
Bounds that are useful
Does more damage
Doesn't need to play the stun game at all.
His lows give more frame advantage on hit.
Better side step kick. They have the same SSP.
46p is still -7 while Hitomi's was nerfed to -9 and 7p can guarantee 46p.
OH's

The only thing she has on him is a parry and she's slightly more safe on block. They both lack good guaranteed damage setups but overall Ein is definitely way better than Hitomi.

Xernuht

Ein is leagues better.

Actual setups with frame advantage on block that don't require 30 frames of charging
Bounds that are useful
Does more damage
Doesn't need to play the stun game at all.
His lows give more frame advantage on hit.
Better side step kick. They have the same SSP.
46p is still -7 while Hitomi's was nerfed to -9 and 7p can guarantee 46p.
OH's

The only thing she has on him is a parry and she's slightly more safe on block. They both lack good guaranteed damage setups but overall Ein is definitely way better than Hitomi.

Yeah, but I did say "IMHO". As in "in my honest opinion". The frames and system may say otherwise, but when I play Ein... something feels off. Maybe it's just because I'm new and never got into DOA before 5, and therefore I lack past exposure to his greatness.

When I pick up Hitomi, everything clicks. She does what I expect of her when I use inputs. With Ein, he doesn't. Plain old preference right there.

Not that I need karate, anyways. I have :bradwong:, :mila:, and most importantly :momiji:, who I feel the most comfortable using.

FatalxInnocence

The only change that's frustrating me at the moment is the change of Kasumi's PPPK and 3PK... it makes her feel incredibly awkward. I preferred her old string that had the same affect as PPK. I guess it just requires adjustment, but still...

I find myself being forced to do 3PP now, which I'm not entirely fond of xD but you do what makes you comfortable, or... in this case what makes you feel less awkward. Cause both options kinda worry me. Each to their own though.

Chaos

What I like :)
+My main characters (Ryu and Hitomi) are much faster than they were before and I'm glad they didn't get hit with a nerf bat.

+Akira's GB attacks 6P+K & 236P+K, 46P+K, 41236P, 46P+K are still present.

+New hairstyles

+Hitomi's new taunt, rawr! XD lol

+New animations

+The bound attacks are a welcome addition.

+One of the greatest things about 5U is that Leon & Ein are back!

+Listing to some classic DOA music had significantly improve my experience

+ :rachel: Ok I admit that she have some bullshit tools but I love her brutal fighting style

+ :momiji: she seems different compared to Kasumi, Ryu, Ayane and Hayate.

+ :jacky: YEEEEAAAAAAH!

+New crazy ass tag moves (double Izuna FTW!!!)

+tons of new costumes including classic ones

+5 extra stages (better than nothing)

+ pleasant gameplay changes

+ combo challenge & an superior tutorial mode

+Team fight

+Being able to view cutsence/victory posts

+ live up to its expansions (unlike the vanilla version -_-)

What I dislike :mad:

-glitches

-Ryu's 4PK, PP4PK & 3H+K no longer guard breaks

-netcode is still garbage

-Can't change stages while I'm on command training

-no rewind feature for spectator mode (really TN? come on!)

- :hitomi: 46K was -5 but now its -8 and 46P isn't -7 its -9 which doesn't make sense imo.

-A braindead A.I. that likes to block every single attack you throw out, NEVER try to hold when you stun them and always spam the same move over and over (the A.I. on the vanilla version is way better)

- most guaranteed moves are nerf

- questionable balance changes

-720p quality

-Weird buffer system

- slight pauses after you do cartain attacks

-Only 5 stages

There are somethings I hate about 5U but I appreciate of what TN has done so far. Its a blessing to have a company who cares about their game and the community. :)

Brute

Standard Donor
My main characters (Ryu and Hitomi) are much faster than they were before
Aside from 3H+K and 4PK executing slightly faster now (in exchange for being mega-unsafe), Ryu is no faster than he was before. Same iframes on basically everything, except that a lot of his safe attacks and gaurd breaks were nerf to actually give him less pressure (so he's slower, if anything).

and I'm glad they didn't get hit with a nerf bat.
Ryu got hit with the nerf bat pretty heavy, actually. Got some new buffs and nice stuff, though. Mixed bag.
Rough/incomplete changelog

-720p quality
I know, right?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
720p is imho a kinda useless complaint, as 99% of all console games have a resolution of just 720p. Even many of the so far announced PS4/XboxOne games will still run natively in 720p. It costs a lot of hardware power to run a (good looking) game in 1080p.

Some decent antialiasing, especially in the backgrounds, would be a priority for me for now.

KwonJigglypuff

I wish there was a thread compiling all the new moves/changes for each character, like what they did on the official website for the first patch (or second?). I'm a bit lost.

Brute

Standard Donor
720p is imho a kinda useless complaint, as 99% of all console games have a resolution of just 720p. Even many of the so far announced PS4/XboxOne games will still run natively in 720p. It costs a lot of hardware power to run a (good looking) game in 1080p.
If God of War found a way to do 1080p with it's texture resolution and ridiculously scaled environments, I'm sure DOA can as well. Also, increasing the resolution will clear up some of the aliasing issues. The "majority is doing it lackluster, so we can too" defense is not the best.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

Ein is leagues better.
Does more damage
They both lack good guaranteed damage setups but overall Ein is definitely way better than Hitomi.

Care to elaborate how Ein does more damage than Hitomi? If she gets a full height launcher, she does more damage. Hitomi's 33h+p does more damage, and her wall bounce juggles do more damage to my knowing. If you skip the stun game and go for a quick launcher or a bound setup (e.g. Ein's pp6kk (or ppkk?) 66kkk) then yes, he does more damage, but overall? Can you please provide some examples?

Guaranteed damage setups, Hitomi has 46k / ppk, etc. PPK on counter hit does roughly 50% damage, all guaranteed if the K hits in the right stance... Then she has 214p, which doesn't guarantee 9k, but you have to SE perfectly (fastest) to avoid it, which in practice isn't that easy. I've had 9k blocked only once in actual play.

And concerning "way better", Hitomi has better mixups IMO than Ein, which is important in a game like DOA.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD