DOA5U Character types?

Rapham0n

The game allows you to play however you want, no matter what character you use. Even so each character was designed with a specific play style in mind. In other words the play style they excel at the most. What category would each character fall under from the following list?

"-RUSHDOWN-
Get in there and overwhelm opponents with barrage of offense. Offensive style based on applying close-range pressure using fast normals, extended strings and mixups. Can build meter well (in games that make use of "super meters") and deal chip damage (in games that allow for chip damage) by keeping an opponent blocking. This fast-paced style is best if you enjoy constant action and close-range fighting. This style is focused on staying right up in your opponent's face and fighting at close range, as well as bombarding your opponent with close range attacks so that they never get a chance to recover. The whole role of this character is to be an offensive force. They are not meant to be played defensive nor are they meant to runaway from the opponent and defeat them through attrition. They have great offensive options and mobility. The complete opposite of turtling, a rushdown style is considered to be completely offensive, often using a huge variety of mix up, pressure and mind games to force an opponent into a suboptimal defensive situation, seeking to create openings and watch for sudden mistakes to capitalize with proper, devastating punishment. Because of its overtly offensive, flashy nature, rushdown is generally considered to be a very entertaining -- if risky -- style of fighting. These are fast characters that specialize in close range combat and combos/juggling. Offensive only, that's the defining trait here, even if they use some long range attacks, they're always on the offense. Subtypes include:
Momentum (chokers): Hyper close range (in-your-face) characters, with low defenses, or Close/Mid range characters with "sweet spots" both with very offensive play, usually exploit openings and weaknesses in their foes with fast speed and punish them with high damage combos. Once they get going it's hard to stop them. Also, hit-and-run characters fall under this, as most Momentum characters start with hit-and-run tactics until they can really get going. Those are the defining traits, for this reason this archetype is full of fast characters.
Mix Up: Do best in close range, but rely on tactics and mind games to exploit their opponent's weaknesses. Are sometimes equipped with some mid and/or long range moves for Zoning and are generally more well rounded than Momentum characters, however, not to the extent that Hybrid characters are as they can't play defensively, and have much more obvious/exploitable weaknesses.
Beatdown: Fast powerhouses with high damage output, usually great characters with great normals and specials. They are indeed close range characters and usually have no long range attacks, they differ from the Momentum characters in that they don't exploit weaknesses, they just jump in and do tons of damage, and don't necessarily need long complex combos to do so.

-ZONING-
Wants to keep opponent in a particular zone where they are strongest/opponent is weakest. This style relies heavily on positioning, where you want to keep your opponent at a specific distance or specific position from you at all times while you do damage to them. It basically boils down to using certain tools to force your opponent to go exactly where you want them to go. Sub-types:
Keepaway: Keeps the opponent away from the character, in 2D fighters this is usually via the use of projectiles and anti-air attacks, in 3D fighters this can be done via long range/far reaching attacks or attacks that constantly send the opponent flying to the other end of the screen.
Poking: Keeps the opponent at a specific distance using high priority pokes, where the character can attack safely and the opponent cannot retaliate effectively. The poking style can be very versatile, there are offensive pokes and defensive pokes. The idea with the pokes is generally (depends on your play style too) to open the opponent's defenses or create distances between you and the opponent. Defensive pokes are used to annoy the opponent to make them commit mistakes and then punish them accordingly. Offensive pokes are used to make the opponent know that sometimes they will have to guess where to guard, and allows you to have a constant pressure if you have a good read.
Lockdown: A more severe form of keepaway, where the character uses attacks to keep an opponent in a trap so powerful that the opponent can barely move, far less attack.

-TURTLE-
Plays a defensive style, where you count on your defense being superior to the opponent's offense, the opposite of rushdown. This is a gameplay strategy that emphasizes heavy defense. Ostensibly, turtling minimizes risk to the turtling player while baiting opponents to take risks in trying to overcome the defenses. In practice, however, games are often designed to punish turtling through various game mechanics. Consequently, while turtling strategies are usually simple enough for novices to learn and are effective as such, they are easily defeated by experienced players who understand the game's methods to counter turtling. As a metaphor, turtling refers to the defensive posture of a turtle, which retracts its limbs into its hardened shell for protection against predators. A player who concentrates on defense is said to behave like a turtle, reluctant to leave the safety of its shell for fear of suffering a lethal attack. In the world of fighting games, especially those of the 2D variety, a turtle style of play is a defensive style that focuses on patience, positioning, timing, and relatively safe attack options to slow down the pace of the game and minimize the number of punishable mistakes made during the course of the match. This style can be very useful in timed matches, as it allows a player to deal a negligible amount of damage to an opponent, and then win the match by running down the clock. If available, players can turn off the timer to prevent such a strategy. Turtling can also be used to force an opponent into making punishable mistakes while minimizing the damage one takes, this is specially true when using projectile-heavy characters that are able to both maintain the pressure and stay out of harm's way. In few other cases, turtling can be an effective strategy to minimize the offensive effects of temporary buffs. Subtypes include:
Pure Turtle: Character sits on his ass all day and never initiates any attack. Character simply blocks and counters everything.
Aggressive Turtle: This character never initiates anything, but is constantly moving to be at an optimal distance to maximise his ability to block and counter. Think of a moving tank. The aggressive turtle seldom takes any risks yet is constantly putting the opponent in a bad situation because the character is seldom at a disadvantage.
Runaway: This character wants to stay the hell away from his opponent. Rather than using attacks to keep the opponent at bay as in keepaway, however, this character uses his high mobility to constantly keep moving away from the opponent, thereby forcing the opponent into constantly chasing after him. The idea is that this causes the opponent to be frustrated, leaving him wide open to making mistakes and counter-attacks.
Counter: This type of turtle character is reliant on counter attacks. This character uses the opponent's attack against him by utilizing counters that either activate upon intercepting an attack, or after blocking an attack.

-GRAPPLER-
The primary goal of the grappler type of character is to get close to the opponent and throw them as much as possible, usually with some sort of unblockable unescapable special and/or super throw. Usually in 3D fighters throwing isn't as simple as go to the opponent and do throws, if you do that you will be punished hard for that. Throws often require the use of pokes to set them up, that way, after landing a poke where you are on positive frames, you have a bigger window to use the throw of choice instead of simply stand up in front of the opponent and throw. There are two subcategories of this character type:
Pure grappler: This grappler relies solely on throws to win. He may have other moves, but they're really just supplemental to his primary throw game, which usually centers around one or two heavy damaging special throws. If [grappler Z] can't [special throw S] you X number of times per round, he doesn't win. In 3D fighters this character type generally uses other moves to set up the perfect opportunity for a throw. Even though this character uses other moves to set up his throws the main source of damage comes from his throws, making his primary game plan to catch the opponent in as many throws as possible.
Semi-grappler: These are characters who have unblockable special throws in their arsenal, but by design don't live and die by them. Their other tools are sufficiently good that they can rely on them if they don't get the opportunity to throw often.

-POWER-
This character type is typically a large character who inflicts heavy damage and has high stamina, and is encumbered by low mobility. This character is closely related to the grappler type, especially the pure grappler, but the main difference between a power-based character and a grappler is the power character doesn't necessarily want to throw his opponent. The power-based character's main goal is to smash his opponent with heavily damaging attacks, which usually requires him to get close to the opponent, but not always.

-HYBRID-
These days, few characters are purely one character type or the other. A lot of characters are hybrids. These are characters who are designed to use multiple types of playing styles. They typically have a large number of moves, or a large variety of moves, giving them the functionality of a number of character types. These characters can also be called all-around (or balanced) characters. They usually contain some aspects from all different categories and can be played in various different ways. They're usually the "jack of all trades, master of none" archetype, in that they don't really excel in anything, but are prepared for everything, because of this they can do very well in both offensive and defensive play.

-JOKE-
A joke character is one who is designed primarily to be comic relief. A joke character can take two forms: Joke characters who are actually good, and joke characters who are rubbish.

-RANDOM-
A random character type is one whose strategies are based on variables that the player has no control over.

-SPEED CHARACTERS-
These are the speed demon characters who overwhelm their opponent with blazing fast speed. They have the most options when it comes to mobility and also have the fastest normals. As a trade-off for their speed they generally have low damage outside of combos. Their general strategy is to overwhelm the opponent with their speed and constantly confuse the opponent on where/how to block. They can play hella mind games as well, so if you’re the type who loves messing with people then try speed characters."

*Play style descriptions taken from: www.shoryuken.com and www.valorgaming.com

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
To complement to this thread, here's my observation of my main, Buzz:

A momentum-based, poke-heavy, grab mix up character.

He's a momentum based character due to the fact that he starts the match at negative momentum due to speed and requires either good reads or punishment to change the momentum, but he can keep that momentum because he has a) an OTG throw for ground pick up after a hard knockdown or when an opponent doesn't tech, b) a +frame throw that keeps an opponent standing and allows for resets and c) a blender. Other pokes like :1::P: help shifting the momentum as that also keeps the opponent standing on hit and sometimes shifts a stun situation into a +frame situation into a mixup.

He's a poke-heavy due to the fact that he doesn't have long string but he is more effective at mid-range which are either safe or +block. :3::K: is something you'd see often from a Bass player who wants to play that sort of game and have a safe approach and that also has safe string follow ups. Don't be surprised to see moves like :214::P: hit from that range either.

He also has strong mix-ups, especially when he goes into BT, because he can cause a legit 50/50 mixup situation with his BT OHs and even has a 10i jab after :6::6::K:. And that's not the only way of getting into BT either ;)
Post-pickup situations are a 3-way mixup situation as he can make full use of all his tool, including his strikes, grabs and OH, all of which of he is in range for. Good luck fuzzy guarding that.

He can also be classified as a grappler because he can basically kill you with few grabs and they don't even need to be those fancy launching throws. Just either a bang on your head, a good smack in the face or just a drop from 10 feet.

Generally, in neutral you can kill someone with as many 6 i6 looping throw, 4 of the same on HCT or just 2 or three TFBBs. A few grabs and a good poke can end a match in no time. Bass' stun game relies of very few hits (usually three hits because of his high damage) while fishing for holds and if you're good at reads and reactions, you're the boss and dictate what's what.

In enclosed spaces, you need even less # grabs to stone a bird. Ever wondered why Tina's WR 64T actually does more damage on HCT that Bass'. That because Bass can still do more damage depending on the environment because the TFBB has a wall, ceiling and even a cliff variant. Infact, a cliff TFBB is the second most damaging throw in the game, with Alpha's 20i throw doing the most damage. I won't talk numbers here, but you should check that out for yourselves.

Outside of that, he can even be considered a turtle against fast character because you have to block and avoid high damage while avoid eating a whole lot of damage until you grab em and change the momentum. His weight also helps taking less damage than average in juggles, which complements his turtling side.

Honestly, you can play this character is different ways with different play styles. Almost all his tools are good and complement him greatly. You just need patience.

Rapham0n

Hayabusa is a joke character.

bth_judge-judy-shake-my-head.gif

Anyway, I'm no DOA5U expert (yet), but from what I can tell so far (from my own limited knowledge of the characters) is:
(I could be mistaken about some of them. Feel free to correct me as necessary).

-RUSHDOWN-
Momentum (choker):

Christie; Rig; Kokoro; Kasumi
Mix Up:
Brad Wong; Helena Douglas;

-GRAPPLER-
Pure grappler:

Bass Armstrong;
Semi-grappler:
Tina Armstrong; La Mariposa (Lisa);

-POWER-
Rachel;

-HYBRID-
Momiji; Ein; Ayane; Hayate; Hitomi; Mila; Jann Lee

-JOKE-
Zack;

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Well,

Ryu's not a Rushdown character, as he's typically quite unsafe with unimpressive mixups/pressure options, and initial speeds
He's not a Turtle character since his best keepout tools involve some substantial risk and are one-offs
He's not a Grappler character, lacking the OH tools that typical grapplers use as part of their throw-centric pressure (not to mention maximum throw damage capacity).
He's not a Power character, with stock stamina, high mobility and only moderate per-strike & per-combo damage
He's not really a "Hybrid" as that would involve fitting somewhat into two or more of the other categories without fully dedicating to them, which is not what's going on (the designation itself also some inherent concerns associated with it, seeming more like a blanket term to incorporate everything rather than to split and categorize the different variables, as the intentions of these designations should be)
He's not a Random character, as the player has control over everything he does
He's not a Speed character at 10/13/14

So, if we have to use the categories outlined in the OP, that leaves two: Zoning and Joke. While he does have an array of zoning tools, they are not on the same efficiency level seen as the true zoning characters in the game (such as Ayane, Hayate or Momiji). Comparing his zoning capacity to their zoning capacity would be like comparing Christie's holds to Bayman's holds. As such, I don't really feel like it's accurate to classify him as a "Zoning character," despite it being a large component of his forced playstyle.

Hayabusa's strengths lie in his environment manipulation and his defensive game, which I would consider separate from the zoning and turtle playstyles exhibited above. He operates largely on mind games and intimidation, with set-ups that scare the opponent into abandoning their fundamentals (ex: "I don't want to be tossed into those spinning head slam move every two seconds" or "I don't want him hitting me into this wall"). This is similar to how certain "silly" characters function in other fighters (ex: "I don't want to get caught by Yoshimitsu's trolling seppuku move again" or "I can't actually let Dan get a heavy combo on me"), trying to employ mind games to mess-up the opponent.

So if there were more categories, yeah. I'd put Hayabusa in a defensive yomi category. But of the options given, he most closely resembles the "Joke" category in regards to his style of play.

Gurimmjaw

Out of the choices Jann Lee I guess you can say he would be a hybrid. He can play up close which most have the impression he mostly played up close but can also be played far away and do a lot of spacing/zoning since he has a lot of keep out tools so he has a good balance of both.

Reactions: JKT

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
According to the classifications given, I would say that :phase4: is kind of a momentum and mix up character. She has extreme low defense, is better at close range and needs to make reads and find weak spots before being able to perform a high damage combo.

Also, according to this line ...

-HYBRID-
They're usually the "jack of all trades, master of none" archetype, in that they don't really excel in anything, but are prepared for everything, because of this they can do very well in both offensive and defensive play.

... I wouldn't say Kasumi is a Hybrid, because she excels in offensive and is a master of poking. She's also a mix up and momentum based character.

Imo, these descriptions are mixing character classifications with playsyles (in terms of how a player acts during a fight). For example, turtle is more a playstyle as a character classification in my opinion, because I can also stay in a corner blocking with Phase or Kasumi all day.

Last edited:

Intelligent Alpha

So, given my playstyle: which i think is what this thread is about but worded wrongly:

With Alpha, she often does these things:

Mixup (She pokes, but it's not about maintaining space), Aggressive Turtle (to be fair, shes get pushed back moreso than pulling back), (She was mainly) Keepaway. She Conditions and Baits often! There's not much to her offense because her defense dictates it. (She mixes up via poking. If you hold incorrectly, she throws OR conditions that particular hold before she decides to go elsewhere IF she decides to) She's always thinking defensively.

It's all about the mind games with her! Even if you can catch everything, she can still throw you off (and sometimes literally!) She's not liked because she's a methodical character (or at least she's decided to become one, with my help!)

There's a method to her madness!

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It's still a bit difficult to determine certain characters where they exactly fall into in DOA. Once you are in a stun, the odds are genuinely in the attacker's favor regardless if the opponent SE fast enough or if they make some good reads. There's a Side Step mechanic as well, It really depends I guess.

Rapham0n

According to the classifications given, I would say that :phase4: is kind of a momentum and mix up character. She has extreme low defense, is better at close range and needs to make reads and find weak spots before being able to perform a high damage combo.

Also, according to this line ...

... I wouldn't say Kasumi is a Hybrid, because she excels in offensive and is a master of poking. She's also a mix up and momentum based character.

Imo, these descriptions are mixing character classifications with playsyles (in terms of how a player acts during a fight). For example, turtle is more a playstyle as a character classification in my opinion, because I can also stay in a corner blocking with Phase or Kasumi all day.

But some characters have better defensive tools than others. This makes them better at turtling than other characters. Turtling is more than just sitting in a corner and blocking. Turtling is all about strong defensive capabilities. Focusing more on defense rather than offense. Example: a player that tries to turtle using Kokoro won't be anywhere near as effective as a Bayman who is turtling. On the flip side a Kokoro that tries to rushdown will be way more effective than a Bayman that tries to rushdown.

The descriptions in the character types is meant to give an idea of what those character types specialize in. Obviously most characters will have some tools that fit in more than one category, but aside from hybrid characters all characters lean more toward a certain type than any of the others. Example: if a characters tools are 90% rushdown, 8% zoning and 2% poking then I would say that character is a rushdown character, because he/she leans more toward rushdown than anything else.

For more clarity let me use an example from Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Anna Williams is a rushdown character and Jin Kazama is a zoner. Hwoarang is another example of a rushdown character. Alisa Boskonovitch is a good example of a poking character. Obviously King and Armor King are Grapplers. Marduk is a semi-grappler.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
It's still a bit difficult to determine certain characters where they exactly fall into in DOA. Once you are in a stun, the odds are genuinely in the attacker's favor regardless if the opponent SE fast enough or if they make some good reads. There's a Side Step mechanic as well, It really depends I guess.
Of course, some characters get a better advantage after that happens, whereas other characters have easier access to it but weaker options from it.

For example, I'd take Ryu's stun game over Lisa's any day. But, I'd prefer Lisa's neutral game no question.

Intelligent Alpha

But some characters have better defensive tools than others. This makes them better at turtling than other characters. Turtling is more than just sitting in a corner and blocking. Turtling is all about strong defensive capabilities. Focusing more on defense rather than offense. Example: a player that tries to turtle using Kokoro won't be anywhere near as effective as a Bayman who is turtling. On the flip side a Kokoro that tries to rushdown will be way more effective than a Bayman that tries to rushdown.

The descriptions in the character types is meant to give an idea of what those character types specialize in. Obviously most characters will have some tools that fit in more than one category, but aside from hybrid characters all characters lean more toward a certain type than any of the others. Example: if a characters tools are 90% rushdown, 8% zoning and 2% poking then I would say that character is a rushdown character, because he/she leans more toward rushdown than anything else.

But it doesn't mean that a said character can't do both - it's harder to do. I've had spacing Kokoros beat me! Why? Because I made mistake and they capitalized on them! I said, I made mistakes! However, most I meet are 99% rushdown (oddly with any other character, they aren't! Hmm ...) Again, I think it's DOA being built around rushdown.

I'l provide another example with Mortal Kombat! I find it harrd to believe that this game isn't centered around zoning/spacing. Look at MKX (who took some ideas from Injustice and that game has zoning written all over it - well more rushdown than MK9 (Bats), but there's heavy zoning too (Deathstroke), but I've seen Bats and DS do the complete opposite and effectiveness didn't dwindle one bit!

But back to MK9, specificially: That game is centered around zoning with characters Sub Zero, Noob Saibot, Sindel, etc. The few rushdown characters may be Kano, Johnny Cage, KL and LK. Zoners only appears to be rushdown once players get the damaging combos down! IOW, going from 70% health combos every damn time (35% x2) (Kitana) doesn't make you a rushdown character! That's only what the player has chosen to do. This is like trying to make Noob Saibot pure rushdown! Why do you think his moveset is inadequate or that he can only rush when opponents are cornered? He clearly wasn't made to rush and Johnny Cage wasn't made to zone, but players certainly try (Sonya can to some degree, but Cassie, certainly can)

I probably just repeated what you said, but the issue is really that defense or being defensive is a lost art. I believe it's due to the mental strain it places on opponents. (Who plays chess more than checkers or prefers to even if you play both)?

I definitely play chess (given how I play DOA and other games) - I don't hide that fact, but how many are actually playing checkers, but deeming it chess? (There's a clear difference as the literal games are completely different) Either game can be played, but many are playing the one that's popular. Is it because it's simpler? I would say so since DOA appears to be dirt easy! (100/0 or 0/100, no balance)

It's the player, really! Mirrors are the best way to tell! Most alphas I face, virtually none of them are defensive! They think defense is just blocking - especially those who can "read" me. So, they pretend to defend knowing they couldn't careless about it! Rarely, do i see one that actually baits/conditions, etc. I don't rush. I do all I can on defense first till and opening is found. Or I literally give an opening so you without knowing give me one! The mind games, you know?

The question should read: As a player, where does your character lean and why?

jmo (though I understand what you mean)

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor

According to this, it means in the end, that you are usually supposed to deceide for the classifiction the character excels best in. So since you could apply turtle as a more general style to every character (due to the fact that every character can be played turtle style, disregarding how good with his tools), but grappler not because some characters do not even have offensive holds and throw combos or so, it would mean that you will never have a character classified as the former because they all have another departement were they excel in more.

For more clarity let me use an example from Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Anna Williams is a rushdown character and Jin Kazama is a zoner. Hwoarang is another example of a rushdown character. Alisa Boskonovitch is a good example of a poking character. Obviously King and Armor King are Grapplers. Marduk is a semi-grappler.

Hmmm ... actually, I have no idea about Tekken Tag Tournament 2 so I personally can't relate to this example in any way*. However, I just wanted to describe my thoughts about such attempts to apply these general fighting game classifications to DOA. Those who really want to do so might be successfull with it, although I think that there will be always something that will never fit completely and will be debatable.

*(too much Tekken and MK here in general for my taste and knowledge, so I'm outta here^^)

Last edited:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
too many classifications makes this a bit confusing especially considering these seem to be made for 2d fighters.

ironically Bayman is NOT that great of a turttler, in DOA the best tend to be characters that can move back very quick and safely like Ayane/Kasumi. where as Bayman just kinda has to sit there and take it.

ironically he makes a great lockdown character because of his back roll, once he gets you on the ground he can quickly back up and counter attack making him great for putting pressure on wakeup. and with his counters and parries it can get to the point where you're to scared to do anything. and even if you do try to do something he has OHs for when you try to start up a combo. hes basically able to completely shutdown your offense while not giving up any of his.

Intelligent Alpha

Here's the thing, Everybody can be any and all of these categories! It's how we see the majority use them that lead to this misconception! yet, again, the way this game promotes itself is the biggest cause of these misconceptions! Nobody is freaking PURE anything, regardless of how one tries to make them and even that should never happen! Notice when I said: "Alpha is a 'pure' offensive character?" I put quotes around pure for a reason!

If you wanna get technical, the balancing is the REAL issue for these misconceptions! Alpha lacks defense (Real counters. That parry doesn't count) But give her actual holds, she's OP! Yet, she's already OP because of one grab which has been nerfed but players get reactive instead of thinking - this is why that throw hurts more than it actually does! Same could be said for the "real grapplers" (Yes, I play Alpha as a grappler setting them up by being a striker and by punishing unsafe attacks on block! Or poking the crap out of them baiting holds and responding with the appropriate throw. I don't have "Throw Master" as a title for nothing!)

But she's OP because you continue to be stupid? I hardly buy that! By this logic, everybody can seem or "is" OP when you pull that same crap! Triangle System ignorance and it's there plan as day if you read the manual (H>S>T>H)

Or could it be that everybody is a copycat or tries to be? Helena's bull, Momiji's bull, hell, Alpha's bull. Everybody is too busy playing or trying to play like everybody else! Ayane and her spin garbage, Kasumi, teleport spamming, combo-whoring self! Ryus nimpo crap, etc! Whatever happened to making the character your own? I can say: "Alpha is MINE!" (I'm doing a few "typical" things, but she's still mine!!) Perhaps this is why i'm not liked online! I do more with less! But the adage: "Less is more!" falls on deaf ears in the FGC or fighting games themselves as a whole!

Somebody asked me how he (or she) could get absolute damage because alpha's a featherweight? Any idea what I said? "It is completely unnecessary!" I wasn't saying to not do it, but to do so in bits and pieces. As much as people hype up resets in other games, what is wrong with resetting alpha? I go for resets WITH her! I feel that method is better because despite her weight, you can still drop stuff and everyone hates dropping one input that destroy a long ass beautiful combo, right? This is why I don't go for them even when they're guaranteed if I manage a critical blast (and that's RARE for me)

So, what do you as a player choose to do because sometimes players are forced to play in another manner based on how their opponents are playing! (ie: You rush me, but get nowhere cause you're not thinking because well you prefer not to or obviously can't! Yet, I do rush back though I don't usually because I THOUGHT things through first!) I beat a Lei Fang player with a 3-0 comeback down 0-2! How the hell did that happen though it shouldn't have?

And again, alpha is "supposed" to be "pure rushdown" since she can't defend herself! If you think that true ... smdh!

I would say she's a hybrid since she does a bit of everything! Yet, all the characters should be hybrids if they can do a bit of everything! Think about it! No one is balanced after one fight. They have to evolve into a balanced character! My alpha, for instance! She used to stand there and block or runaway when she got the chance. You could clearly see how scared she was. But that shyness and impatience due to shyness turned into an anchor-like form of patience which I'm not shy about at all! Ironically, randoms still think I'm scared, but players that know me know otherwise! I may even get a few randoms that recognize and actually respect it!

If you wanna throw numbers behind it, well, they will fluxuate, too! Why do you think stats were implemented (though they mean nothing)? One's strengths won't necessarily get them through a battle. Likewise, one's weaknesses won't necessarily be the end of the battle either! (Again, I had a 3-0 comeback after down 0-2 where the obvious happened) Alpha is devastating offensively, but that is a much bigger weakness than her lack of "defense" (counters) Ironically, due to this, her "perceived" non-existent defense (all the other defensive tools) is her biggest strength! Why do you think players just rush and call it a day; yet, say, she can't counter?

Logic be damned, right?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I see you found your way to FSD AlpHelena welcome, I'm not sure when you became a throw master though remember the argument we got into into was precisely because you refused to throw me out of any of my offensive holds leading to you eating constant 66Ts on wakeups

Intelligent Alpha

I see you found your way to FSD AlpHelena welcome, I'm not sure when you became a throw master though remember the argument we got into into was precisely because you refused to throw me out of any of my offensive holds leading to you eating constant 66Ts on wakeups

@Russian-chiropractic19

Hanji? What's up? I remember that, but you also said that people complained due to me not being aggressive enough! I'm saying I don't aspire to be a yt alpha! You should know that offense is actually her biggest weakness! This is why I appear to be not as aggressive. You, like others, assume I just stand there and block all day but I may as well if you wanna hit me all damn day! (I actually do this online to piss people off intentionally not because I'm scared but because I'm pissed! You wanna try me, Hanji? I'm not kidding! Throwing "disabled" for 20 secs) I'm not actually mad. I want to demonstrate this to you. :)

Now, as I was saying:

Yes, I know the throws you suggested, but I really needn't use those! Normal T 2T, 3T, 8T (and 236236T if I can pull it off) are all I need since I'm opting to punish holds aholding I get tons of it via poking. I don't always throw after a "random" hold either. I don't need critical blasts for longer damaging combos (This is why alpha's a featherweight and players, including yourself, whore-out ridiculous combos which baffles me. Since every character can throw (but people complain about alpha's throws), why don't you see more of it? (Again, players rather spend 20 mins trying to hit me when they can throw and I'm done in twenty seconds) Yet, complain when 236236T x2 + love taps KO you? You've gotta be kidding!

This is what the "Throw Master" title means and why I have it! However, it's only respected (Read: hated) if/when I pull off BURST - cause it looks painful or RUSH because it looks pretty! (Btw, I think players show off too much which is why I rather not do them though I can't nor would I if I could) To me, her throws (those specifically) are to be used strategically, but also sparingly. People swear up and down what a spam-character she is; yet, it is not necessary to bring everything including the kitchen sink. Other characters can get away with it, so why not alpha?

I read in a DOA wiki that Alpha was considered "a grappling version of Kasumi" (any idea why she doesn't throw enough, herself?) That's how I use her! This is how I get and where all my damage comes from! Throw Punishment - whether you're holding or you're dumb enough to mash out unsafe crap while I'm blocking (Phase 4, wtf?) or block (what folks still brag about now when playing me, but I know better than to hold!)

I've gotten better at getting up in people, but I screw them up and/or drain them mentally first! (You know the real term I used) I aim for the head all-the-while going for the body! Kwim? Most wanna go for the body cause they can't get in my head, think they're getting in my head or know I'm not nice when I get in theirs! Yet, they make no effort to get into my head like I get in theirs.

That argument is long gone and I've clearly taken your advice and I do appreciate the help. Maybe we should play (that's you and I -- not your gf and I). Hopefully, you'll see what I mean. (Lobby or Dojo so there isn't the obvious risk)

You know, I had this B (he was a B-) tell me my A wasn't real and called me an alpha noob/scrub too! He tried to take my 12 game win streak, but I beat him! haha!

The wake up issue:

It's already awful that there's a slim chance of the wakeup kick happening even slimmer if she gets in position, but players have placed it upon themselves to be "cheap" (did I say that? How dare I!) and ground punch/kick as if being grounded like that means automatic WUK; yet, other characters can WUK without it being problem! She can't do anything now! That was a bad move by TN to make neutral teleporting AI only for fear it would get "abused." Yet, wtf is happening with Phase 4? But would have teleporting forwards and backwards actually been a problem? Would it change the way she's played against? I doubt it!

But yeah, I can't stand when people say "He throws too much!" yet, don't read the first title, but I thought it meant any and every throw possible -- not the most damaging one! You should be afraid of all of them! (If Bayman is respected for his throwing)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD