Characters for DOA beginners

shunwong

This has probably been beat to death previously, but as I'm new I'll ask:

What characters are recommended for DOA beginners?

I play Shun in VF but Brad turned out to be not for me (Shun is simple even with all his stances, Brad seems much more complicated)

I'm trying Elliot and Kokoro now, which are much more simple. I'm liking Elliot more so far. (I prefer if they do Chinese martial arts)

Elliot is a good choice and Christie is another easy to pick up fighter as well and she uses snake style Kung fu so that satisfies your Chinese martial arts requirement. But as a VF player you could always use my main from there Pai. j/k

shunwong

Elliot is a good choice and Christy is another easy to pick up fighter as well and she uses snake style Kung fu so that satisfies your Chinese martial arts requirement. But as a VF player you could always use my main from there Pai. j/k

I've tried Brad Wong, Jann Lee, Leifang...and neither of them suits me. I hadn't tried Christie as I thought she'd be complicated but I'll give her a try this afternoon (I haven't tried Helena for the same reason, I should probably try her too.

As for Pai (and Gen Fu) I'll try them when I unlock them. I haven't done any unlocking. Just command training + online.

Zoruto

I am also a beginner and I am having great fun with Tina. She is not too complicated to learn and she has some great looking attacks. Even her combo throws are pretty easy to learn if you practice them and her ground throws are nifty to pile on some extra damage. She has some trouble with super fast rushers but I think every character has their weaknesses.

ILYA✰

Christie is another easy to pick up fighter as well and she uses snake style Kung fu so that satisfies your Chinese martial arts requirement.
I wouldn't call Christie easy by any means :D
Yes, her style might look fast and effective, but that takes a lot of effort to master.
Also keep in mind that her holds and throws do very low damage. Her damage output in general is kind of weak..

But great if you choose Christie! That's no easy path to walk, but when you get there, it feels so good :D

NightAntilli

I'd say Kokoro and Hitomi if you want an offensive character, and Tina if you want a grappler. And I agree with the comment above regarding Christie.

shunwong

I tried Christie's command training and easy she is not (very cool though)

I'll stick to Kokoro and Elliot and try Pai and Gen Fu when I unlock them (I started story mode. Tutorials in there are good. At least I'm learning what I'm doing now)

Mesharey

Try Hitomi, she's easy to learn and a good character, even though she uses Karate not Chinese martial arts.

riceman789

I wouldn't call Christie easy by any means :D
Yes, her style might look fast and effective, but that takes a lot of effort to master.
Also keep in mind that her holds and throws do very low damage. Her damage output in general is kind of weak..

But great if you choose Christie! That's no easy path to walk, but when you get there, it feels so good :D
I just started a few days ago with Christie playing some games against Gill Hustle and Dr.Teeth, yeah she's easy to pick up but than learning her is another path you have to face(Christie Forever ^_^). She is really fun to play though, Eliot and Hitomi are probably your best choices just because easy characters to pick up and good damage.

Vanity Assassin

Maybe Kasumi, When I started playing the DOA series I started with her( first time I played was on the dreamcast), but then I quickly went to Helena and I have been a Helena player ever since

ILYA✰

I started with Kasumi as well.. Then tried out Ayane and Helena.. They were good in the sense that I had to really think about timing and stuff.
Really good practice before Christie came out in DoA3.
Started to main her right away :D

NSC745

Easy character? Jahn Lee. Strategy? 66T-->66k. All you need from there is some 6p action and a little 7k and 4k with more 6p, and your golden.

riceman789

I picked up Kasumi during DOA2 Hardcore just to learn how to the game in general and than played everyone else. So it's also safe to say that Kasumi is an easy character to pick up. For Jane Lee, yeah he is too but I'll never use him just because he's seems so awkward lol

Tones

Premium Donor
I recommend Tina to beginners. Extremely basic mix ups, has a good crush or 2, strong and easy juggles, throw set ups, OH set ups, and Tina makes a smart opponent think twice about countering with her massive damage throws.

PopRock123

I tried Christie's command training and easy she is not (very cool though)

I'll stick to Kokoro and Elliot and try Pai and Gen Fu when I unlock them (I started story mode. Tutorials in there are good. At least I'm learning what I'm doing now)
VF characters like Pai are not beginner friendly stick with Kokoro and Elliot.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD