Crouching, or "Why the %$^& can't I duck that goddamn Dragon Kick"

Drake Aldan

OK.

From what I can tell- when you input :2: and hold :h: to guard low, this puts you in a crouching state.

This isn't instantaneous- it takes about 4 frames?

If you are inputting :2::h: to block a low, your block will be instantaneous. But, if you input :2::h: to duck something, say, a throw, or an unblockable high attack, your duck will take said 4 frames. Is this true?

I find, many times, I see a high coming- a Dragon Kick, an Offensive Hold from Lisa/Ayane, etc., etc. I go for :2::h: aaaaaaand they got me. I know lag can get pretty bad but the netcode's improved, hasn't it? I make sure to filter connections when I can.

When the opponent's offense entirely consists of these moves things can get pretty frustrating.

Now, here's the thing- apparently, :3::3: puts you in a crouching state instantaneously. Of course you can't block unless you change direction to :1: or :4:, but it does make you duck.

Is this it? Whenever I want to duck, do I need to be :3::3:ing all the time? Do I need to :3::3: on wakeup so I don't get cartwheeled on? Do I need to :3::3: at the start of matches when people might spam :P::P::P:?

Somebody set me straight because I'm getting wrecked out here with these gimmicks. My reaction speed is bad, but not that bad.

Drake Aldan

Oh you're trying to react to stuff online? In my experience that usually doesn't work out, at least in DOA
It's not exactly like I have a local scene to play with.

I'm really just asking for confirmation, since I've managed to :3::3: out of Momiji double-jump jank and dodged a Lisa OH with :3::3: before (in the same match when :2::h: was not working). Coming from Soul Calibur, :2::h: is my instinctual action (and :3::3: is an uncomfortable input to hit precisely) so I need to know if I should focus on practicing this in particular.

If worse comes to worse just sidestep the kick. That's what I do online anyways.
Can't sidestep those OHs, though.

Might as well just learn to KDB or BDC.
I can't do this fast enough.

I miss the old glitchy crouch-step.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Some characters have good crushes (like 1P) that you can use to immediately begin your offensive. That's what I really meant by 2P. Like if I know someone's gonna PP, I 33P+K as Kokoro. Stuff like flying kicks, I just sidestep.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

In vanilla ducking a grab took 2 frames, not 4. So it's probably the lag that's causing your problems. Isn't dragon gunner very slow in 5U? I suggest setting the simulated lag to 2/3 bars in training and practicing avoiding it there on wakeup and in string cancels.

Brute

Standard Donor
In vanilla ducking a grab took 2 frames, not 4. So it's probably the lag that's causing your problems. Isn't dragon gunner very slow in 5U? I suggest setting the simulated lag to 2/3 bars in training and practicing avoiding it there on wakeup and in string cancels.
He's having issues with Dragon Kick (the unblockable flying kick), not the OH reset.

Drake Aldan

I went and checked with Fight Screen Info today, looking at the parameter "Switch Frame (Standing/Crouching)".

For the record (tested with Leon):

:2::h: - 6F
:3::3: - 1F
:2::P: - 1F
:1::h: - 1F

(ed. Regular characters, even Bayman, Bass, and Rachel, have :2::h: at 4F. Gimme a break...)

Interestingly, if you get put into Critical Stun, :2::h: changes from 6F to 1F. But if you get hit with a Guard Break, :2::h: is right back to 6F again (this explains why I couldn't duck Momiji double-jump throw when I knew it was coming...)

I just don't think :2::h: is reliable for ducking, online or off. Can someone please refute or verify my claims?

I mean I just have to assume this is the reason why the command for fuzzy guard is :3::3::4:, not :2::h::5::h:.

Last edited:

LoK N Ki

When you do :3::3: it still isn't instantenous right?
I'm probably wrong on this but doesn't it atleast take 2 frames for the:3: to even register, the neutral and the :3:.
When you need to input a 2nd :3: you'll need another neutral and :3: input. So atleast 4 frames even with the fastest possible way of inputting these inputs. It probably is 1F for the move to actually activate after the last input, but it doesn't take the previous inputs into account.

And who says you are inputting :3::3: perfectly, you might end up doing it slower.

Hopefully you understand where i'm coming from.

Can't you hold his kick or just sidestep it?

Last edited:

Drake Aldan

When you do :3::3: it still isn't instantenous right?
If you know :3::3: takes time you can at least prepare for the input. As long as you feel that second :3: you know you're OK.

With :2::h: you have to do it early which goes against everything I know.

For a knee-jerk response I'm honestly thinking about :2::P:.

Can't you hold his kick or just sidestep it?
I'm not just talking about the kick. Maybe the topic title was a bad idea...

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Just 1P. Get a counter hit and go into stun game. Or at the very least, you're positive enough to make nearly any strike/throw a meaty.

LoK N Ki

I know the topic isn't just about the dragon kick anymore but about how to escape highs and which techniques are most effective for dealing with them and why the f*ck :2::h: takes so long.

Conclusion, a 2p or other fast high crushing moves that won't put you in such disadventageous positions that you can be punished for it?

Last edited:

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Moves that force you into a crouch state are good. Stuff that looks like Tina's 1P are great for ducking under stuff.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD