Danger Zones banned from Tourneys?

NinjaRenegade

I recently given it some thought, and i think that Danger Zones should be banned from tournaments. Take into consideration i am not speaking on the area DZ's (such as the electric rope or floor) but the various stages that house random hazards like the Tigers in Showtime or the falling debris on the construction stage.

Take the example: Grand Finals, Hayabusa, and Bass are at their last length of life, fighting on the Showtime stage, when a random tiger hits and kills the Bass player. Is it his fault for not taking into account the fact that he knew the Tiger might leap out(also including the distance and position he put himself in to avoid certain attacks/and or setups), or is it the game's fault for making it somewhat random, and not appear during a specific situation? It's these types of situations that could potentially spawn several conditions:

If the DZ's are not banned, stage favoritism might be considered for that specific hazard.
If they are, the stage might have to be banned to prevent such hazards from occurring during a tourney.

Maybe im just thinking about it too much, but I wouldn't want to hold a L to a Tiger or a piece of debris.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
If you get hit by that tiger after the 10-15 seconds it takes for him to actually move or do anything, you kinda deserve it.

And the falling debris is 100% controllable. If you can hold your opponent in the air for a specific amount of time off of a wall bounce, it's a juggle extender. That's legit.

Crystic

You can just hold in any direction and you dodge the tigers. The debris is from you getting smashed into the wall so I don't think that counts as random either. The only thing I can think of as being banned would be the inside of the home level as sometime the wall doesn't break and unless you or your opponent is Ryu then you basically can't do anything about it except reset the match.

Also stage favoritism will always be there. Lei Fang will always like the long stun for her lows on The Ends of the Earth and Sanctuary just as Mila likes Lab for the extra damage on her mount punches. Just more things you have to be prepared for.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well, we could always try things smash style and allow for counter-picking stages after a defeat.

The game certainly allows that as a strategic element.

miyodarius

That funny. Whatever I get to pick the stage while I'm playing as Bayman. I pick the smallest stages (like the Sweat or the other wrestling stages) to set up his wall game.
I kinda like how the game's stages have such a impact on the fight. Its cheap at times, but if you can find a way to use the stage to your advantage, you wont have to worry about random outcomes.

Ace Flibble

If you're going to get rid of stage elements then that's half of DOA's character gone. DOA was the first 3D fighting game to really push stage elements beyond a basic wall/ring out system and it's still the most advanced in this respect.

If you think being hit by a tiger is bad, how about the advantages certain stages give to characters like Ryu? Some characters have more knock backs than others, making it easier for them to activate cliffhangers. Some characters can get off really damaging combos in water and on ice.

If you start going through the list of everything that might be ''unfair'' in a match then we're down to only using Dojo, and I don't believe anybody wants that.

Pick 'Random' every time. If you get the stage with the tigers then just be aware of it. Your opponent can be hit by them just as easily as you can be. Stage positioning is a key element of DOA, it always has been and it shouldn't be avoided now.

loralei

No. Pay attention to the stages,and you'll be fine. Don't most players at the last length of their lifebars tend to play more careful or just button mash hoping they'll hit you first anyways?

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Danger Zones will not be banned in tournaments. All you need to do is to know your environments in Danger Zone-styled stages.

It's like going "no items final destination" on Smash Bros. it just defeats the entire purpose of playing this game.

As SilverKhaos mentioned, it really does defeats the entire purpose of the game if tourney organizers decides to ban Danger Zones. Sure you have the option to turn it off on Stage Select, but there are people that do prefer Danger Zones.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD