Dead or Alive 5 Alpha Demo System and Character Discussions

Allan Paris

Food for thought: If you personally have difficulty getting the full potential out of something. Do not make statements opposing its usefulness.

Reactions: avi

OSTCarmine

rikuto!! i got some questions to as about that vid you and Cyberevil posted. if you already answered some plz just refer me to where these answers are... im too lazy to sift through a 27 page thread lol.

with the game being so much more defense orientated how much of an issue will the PPT strategy be in DOA5? i noticed at one point Cyber got you with 3 Izuna's in a row and you pulled of quite a few PPTs as well. Also, is SS a viable option against PPT, and in a similar way, against string delays if they are obvious enough?

Can you do anything to punish Hayabusa's 3xF+K. The last hit has guard break so when it hits on block punishment is lost, but could you do anything on the 2nd hit? Could you hold that 3rd hit if you blocked the 1st 2? I also notice you having a hard time punishing Cyberevil at all in the 1st 10 mins or so. Is Busa that safe? or is Cyber just playing him safely? im inclined to assume the latter.

You always use the same combo setup repeatedly. 66P, PP, 8K. any particular reason for this? Why use 8K so exclusively, even in corners where it does wall slam instead of launch? Hayate has P launchers as well. Just a funny thing i noticed lol.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
1. Punch Punch Throw is, and will continue to be an issue because throws are not breakable... hopefully in DOA 6 they will be breakable, if there is a DOA 6. Takes a lot of work to make all of those animations though. Throws also beat out SS, so that isn't going to be a way to avoid them. I personally feel like throws need to have their range trimmed down a bit if they aren't going to be breakable.

Since that isn't likely to happen however, get in the habit of usings attacks that leave you at a generous distance on block, and instead of using the Free button to block get used to using 87[4] or 21[4] so you are constantly moving yourself out of throw range when a string has been canceled prematurely. You can always choose to hold your ground and attempt an interrupt if you want to play riskier.

If you have a character like Akira who has a very generous backdash you could simply try use 44, but that's on you to determine whether or not that character specific backdash will avoid all of the options out of that particular string your defending.

2. I'm not playing the alpha demo anymore, so I couldn't tell you if there is a way to punish it in the demo. Honestly every time we played that thing we were not really giving much of a damn what was going on.... didn't feel solid enough to care. In the E3 build it felt like it was a lot more unsafe though.

3. 8k is hold resistant in the alpha demo, therefore I take no risk in using it. The best Cyber could do is attempt to punish it with a standard throw, which is breakable. Sadly, it was returned to holdable status in the E3 demo, which I found to be rather unfortunate change as Hayate was already "not exactly good".

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'm all for that stupid ass kick becoming holdable again. It was a bitch to deal with lol.

And we were both playing relatively safe, all things considered, though I'm going to re-iterate Rikuto's point that neither of us were really trying all that hard to showcase 'high-level play,' though it may have seemed that way to a casual. There were more than a few matches that devolved into spamming Power Blows back and forth to see who could shame who the most. Also, punch punch grab, or the ultimate technique punch grab...those happened a lot. See also: run from all the way across the screen and grab. Epic through and through.

OSTCarmine

I'm all for that stupid ass kick becoming holdable again. It was a bitch to deal with lol.

And we were both playing relatively safe, all things considered, though I'm going to re-iterate Rikuto's point that neither of us were really trying all that hard to showcase 'high-level play,' though it may have seemed that way to a casual. There were more than a few matches that devolved into spamming Power Blows back and forth to see who could shame who the most. Also, punch punch grab, or the ultimate technique punch grab...those happened a lot. See also: run from all the way across the screen and grab. Epic through and through.
i lold when you did that, truly a technique from the gods.
I figured you guys were not being too competitive. it seemed like rikuto in particular was trying to come to grips with Hayate's juggle game. I personally never found his combos/juggles particularly satisfying... they were good and did fair damage, but i never enjoyed them as much as with other chars. but thats just me
the SS thing is a bit of a blow, but i guess i can figure out ways around that. im thinking Bayman in particular would have a fun way of messing up a PPT in his roll. Lee's 4P+K, K would do the trick as well, so too would Ayane's 11P, K... lol. PPT has always been beatable. I was just hoping maybe SS would be another option to avoid that accursed tactic. oh well...

OSTCarmine

seems a bit unfair that everybody can do a PPT but not everybody has options to counteract it effectively, besides just gunning your opponent down whenever he delays anything, which would be stupid. oh well, DOA6 should fix that lol.
I really wanna see what SS can do in high level play. I always advocate for mobility in my FGs, which is why i prefer KOF over SF so much... or pretty much ANY FG that gives me good mobility. Currently SS is a very underused mechanic and im hoping its cuz SS potential is still untapped, and not cuz it just plain sucks. i have seen a FEW instances where some good play came off a random SS. These are enough to give me hope, but not enough to remove the cloud of doubt still hanging over the mechanic

PhoenixVFIRE

seems a bit unfair that everybody can do a PPT but not everybody has options to counteract it effectively, besides just gunning your opponent down whenever he delays anything, which would be stupid. oh well, DOA6 should fix that lol.
I really wanna see what SS can do in high level play. I always advocate for mobility in my FGs, which is why i prefer KOF over SF so much... or pretty much ANY FG that gives me good mobility. Currently SS is a very underused mechanic and im hoping its cuz SS potential is still untapped, and not cuz it just plain sucks. i have seen a FEW instances where some good play came off a random SS. These are enough to give me hope, but not enough to remove the cloud of doubt still hanging over the mechanic
Well, if there's one thing I've noticed about the SS in DOA5, is that you will have to be careful with it just like countering because if I'm not mistaken throws track and they result in High Counter Throw status. So I'm gonna have to be extra careful against good grappler players. The moment I saw Tina wipe out nearly half of Bayman's health with ONE grab because of the High counter status >_> I knew then, grapplers are NO joke anymore.

OSTCarmine

Well, if there's one thing I've noticed about the SS in DOA5, is that you will have to be careful with it just like countering because if I'm not mistaken throws track and they result in High Counter Throw status. So I'm gonna have to be extra careful against good grappler players. The moment I saw Tina wipe out nearly half of Bayman's health with ONE grab because of the High counter status >_> I knew then, grapplers are NO joke anymore.
that heavy damage filled my heart with joy. I love tina to bits, and that kinda damage is just the cherry on top of a cake that is made of cherries. im pretty sure its going to get scaled down a bit, but that does not mean grapplers are gonna be any less threatening now. the game is markedly less hold-intensive as far as I can tell. that means more blocking, which means more opportunities for grapplers. im hoping Leifang, Elliot and Gen Fu get a few new tools to mess around with as well. they are not strictly grapplers though - more of a balance type, focused on a straightforward yet deeply strategic offense... its pretty hard for me to define actually, but you should know what im talking about lol.

PhoenixVFIRE

that heavy damage filled my heart with joy. I love tina to bits, and that kinda damage is just the cherry on top of a cake that is made of cherries. im pretty sure its going to get scaled down a bit, but that does not mean grapplers are gonna be any less threatening now. the game is markedly less hold-intensive as far as I can tell. that means more blocking, which means more opportunities for grapplers. im hoping Leifang, Elliot and Gen Fu get a few new tools to mess around with as well. they are not strictly grapplers though - more of a balance type, focused on a straightforward yet deeply strategic offense... its pretty hard for me to define actually, but you should know what im talking about lol.
lol Yup I get what your saying. I don't know why, but characters like Gen Fu and Eliot(their styles) are very solid and seem like they would push out heavy damage. They remind me of Earth Benders from Avatar lol. Lots of heavy palms thrusts that would flatten an opponent. It makes me think these characters will have easy access to the Critical Burst system. I can already think a lot of moves that could easily turn into their CB move.

OSTCarmine

what i would really like to see is a character with a really SOLID parry Hold. One that either gives good frame advantage, or good spacing options. Elliot's current sabaki places the opponent at a distance that makes it harder for his faster moves to connect. i loved the fact that you could actually knock off huge chunks of your opponents life without them ever hitting the ground. mix it up between parry, 214F+P and 1K - P - 4P and just keep the pressure up lol. If these three characters got great parries then that would give them some really awesome potential

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD