Dead or Alive 5: Last Round Press Release Reveals Pricing, DLC Details

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round was officially unveiled in Japan at the Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Arcade
Fighting Carnival less than 48 hours ago. Shortly afterward, right before the top eight contenders
squared off at Summer Jam 8, Team NINJA Creative Director Tom Lee took the stage to introduce
North American audiences to the title and let everyone know the platforms the game would call home. Today we have the official unveiling and announcement of the title, along with some major additional information. The unveiling naturally includes the English announcement trailer, so be sure to check that out below before reading on for the details. Yes, that includes pricing.

The game will be launching on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One in Spring of 2015. Distribution avenues for the title will vary based on console generation. On PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, it will be available at retail in physical form and through Xbox Live and PlayStation Network as a digital download at a price of $39.99. On the previous generation consoles, the game will come in digital form only and will be priced at $29.99. All currently available characters, including Nyotengu who will see release beginning September 2, 2014, will return, and they will be even more customizable than before.

The new title will offer up over 300 costumes in the package right out of the gate, with new hairstyles and accessory options selectable as well. Perhaps most importantly, any DLC purchased for Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate will be transferable to Dead or Alive 5 Last Round. This will include cross-generation transfer of DLC, so all of you who have moved on to a shinier box under your TV or monitor will not need to worry about losing any purchased content.

Take a look at the official press release below and then hit the comments to discuss the news.

DEFINITIVE DEAD OR ALIVE EXPERIENCE COMING TO NEXT GENERATION CONSOLES IN DEAD OR ALIVE 5 LAST ROUND
Explosive Fighting Franchise from Team NINJA to Pack a Serious Content Punch Across PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 in Spring 2015

BURLINGAME, Calif. – SEPTEMBER 2, 2014 – Team NINJA today revealed that DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round is currently in development for the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. The game will be published by KOEI TECMO America in Spring 2015, and will be available at the price of $39.99 MSRP for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (physical and digital) and $29.99 MSRP for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (digital only). DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round represents the zenith of the DEAD OR ALIVE 5 series, including the best and brightest content from those games, along with all-new content only found in LAST ROUND, creating the comprehensive DEAD OR ALIVE 5 experience.

DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round marks an exciting step forward for the franchise, and one that fans have been asking for,” said Yosuke Hayashi, Team NINJA leader. “Bringing the game to a new generation of consoles is allowing us to create the most graphically striking version of any Dead or Alive game ever, and we are very happy to give our fans the chance to experience our signature high energy fighting entertainment as only the latest consoles can deliver it.”

DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round will take to the ring to deliver the signature DOA fighting style, wrapped up in the most graphically impressive version of a DEAD OR ALIVE game ever seen. The combatants in DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Roundwill present an unparalleled level of life-like detail, and smooth striking animations that will firmly place every fighter in the heat of the moment. The game’s dynamic interactive stages once again boast a range of visually striking locations from around the world, while offering even more destruction, deadly new danger zones and a higher level of strategic choices for players to utilize in the quest for victory.

DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round will deliverthe largest roster of fighters in any DOA game to date. Fighters will include: Hayabusa, Hayate, Kasumi, Ayane, Rig, Momiji, Leon, Kokoro, Tina, Lisa, Brad Wong, Jann Lee, Hitomi, Leifang, Christie, Eliot, Leon, Gen Fu, Bayman, Bass, Zack, Helena, Marie Rose, Phase 4 and newly released Nyotengu along with Akira, Pai, Jacky and Sarah Bryant from the Virtua Fighter series. Character customization options get even deeper, as DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round will offer over 300 open and unlockable costumes, and the brand new hairstyle and accessory options will give nearly endless possibilities to adorn the fighters for any occasion. Players can bring their run of rosters, costumes and accessories from DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Ultimate, as previously purchased DLC content will be transferable from last gen consoles to the PS4 and Xbox One.

“We’re excited to deliver to our fans such a fantastic and robust package with DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round,” said Amos Ip, SVP and General Manager of KOEI TECMO America. “This game is the culmination of the best of the best from the ‘DOA 5’ series, and it’s great to offer such an incredible value to gamers particularly on the next generation consoles.”

Currently in development by Team NINJA, more details about DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round will be revealed in the coming months. The game has not yet received official ESRB but Koei Tecmo anticipates a rating of “M” for Mature.

For more news about Team NINJA, visit https://www.facebook.com/teamninjastudio, and the DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round Official page: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/lastround/. Don’t forget to “Like” us on the Dead or Alive Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/deadoralivegame and follow us on Twitter@TeamNINJAStudio.

About KOEI TECMO AMERICA CORP:

KOEI TECMO AMERICA CORP. is a publisher of interactive entertainment software for current generation consoles, handhelds and digital download content based in Burlingame, California. The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of KOEI TECMO HOLDINGS CO., LTD., headquartered in Yokohama, Japan. KOEI is best known for its Dynasty Warriors® and Samurai Warriors® franchises. TECMO is best known for the Dead or Alive®, Ninja Gaiden®, Tecmo Bowl®, and Fatal Frame® series. On April 1st 2009, KOEI TECMO HOLDINGS CO., LTD was established as a result of the TECMO, LTD. and KOEI Co., Ltd. merger.

Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.

“PlayStation” is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Akira, Sarah, Pai and Jacky characters © SEGA. Virtua Fighter is either a registered trademark or trademark of SEGA Corporation.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like they're implying no new characters, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Wish they'd tell us if they're reworking any of the game mechanics (like revamping the ground ground, such as they did between Vanilla and Ultimate) or making serious tweaks to existing characters. I'm a lot more interested in that than whether or not I can put Tina's hair into some ugly pigtails.

Sounds like they're implying no new characters, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Wish they'd tell us if they're reworking any of the game mechanics (like revamping the ground ground, such as they did between Vanilla and Ultimate) or making serious tweaks to existing characters. I'm a lot more interested in that than whether or not I can put Tina's hair into some ugly pigtails.

I wouldn't expect too many core gameplay system changes. It's "Dead or Alive 5", not "Dead or Alive 6". An example of changes I wouldn't expect: Throw breaking, or an overhaul of the ground system.

I'm disappointed to not see a goddamn DIGITAL UPGRADE option from DOA5U to DOA5LR, ala USFIV.

But well, I'll wait and see how this develops. I currently don't have PS4, but by the time this games launches I guess I'll own one. And if I do, I would like to have the physical copy of DOA5LR for it. The only drawback is, if there is going to be some sort of cross-play / cross-buy attached to it, and more importantly: online compatibility between PS3 and PS4 versions.

My thoughts. Just that.

I wouldn't expect too many core gameplay system changes. It's "Dead or Alive 5", not "Dead or Alive 6". An example of changes I wouldn't expect: Throw breaking, or an overhaul of the ground system.
We saw an overhaul of the ground system from Vanilla to Ultimate, both of which were also "Dead or Alive 5." We also saw the introduction of bounds, Power Launchers and some other nifty system features.

What makes you say the same effort won't be put into this release?

We saw an overhaul of the ground system from Vanilla to Ultimate, both of which were also "Dead or Alive 5." We also saw the introduction of bounds, Power Launchers and some other nifty system features.

What makes you say the same effort won't be put into this release?

I don't consider that an overhaul.

So it's like Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate with the 360/PS3 versions being digital only, and the One/PS4 being both physical and digital.

And in regards to the DLC transfer thing PS3-4 and 360-One it seems like I'll just buy the game for Xbox One only since I just have a 360, oh well was probably gonna get it anyways. No point in me getting LR on 360 since I'm not really a fan of downloading games digitally.

Sounds like people are cool with no new characters... weird.

I want more everything. It's the same price as Ultimate. To me this sounds like a MK complete kind of package. Hardly any new content?

I don't consider that an overhaul.

You're a lousy salesman.

Anyway, yes Brute I would expect about the same attention to the system that Ultimate got, as well as some new moves for existing characters. The primary difference being that the new characters are probably the DLC characters, which are being released early due to business as well as balance reasons (Arcade helps a lot with that, tbh) which is why we didn't just get them all at once this time around. And of course the other difference being those sweet, sweet graphics on next gen.

Last edited:

I want more everything. It's the same price as Ultimate. To me this sounds like a MK complete kind of package. Hardly any new content?

In my mind new stages > new characters, and as long as those new stages deliver where it counts. And we ARE getting new characters, its just that we're getting them in a gradual fashion through DLC right now instead of all at once later. I mean if you don't want to buy them now, you can certainly wait.... but that's a choice.

Considering they went as old-school as its possible to go with the DOA 1 throwback stage, I think they are having a lot of fun with this.

By the time Spring rolls around we will have gotten new stages, new characters, new system changes/additions, new moves, and shiny as hell new graphics -- all of which we did not have 1 year ago. Team Ninja has clearly been busy, so I am satisfied.

What can potentially turn away fans and new people is if Team Ninja doesn't include all of the current DLC in Last Round. While it makes sense for them to do so, it would really be a slap to the face to those who did purchase ALL the DLC for Ultimate, which is like $200+ at this point. They said there's over 300 costumes to be unlocked, so I'm assuming most of the copy & paste costume DLC will be unlockable. We'll see, however.

yeah but how much of the dlc we already bought is going to be automatically included in the new game for free? Thats what happened with a lot of the DLC from the original DOA5. It came packed in with ultimate, you just had to unlock it. Thats my biggest fear, that everything we've already paid for would be free anyway...

EDIT: oops i see this point has been brought up already. lets hope for a lot of new original content. Im one of the poor saps who has all but 2 of the dlc packs.

Last edited:
Since only some of the dlc outfits for DOA5U will be included for free its likely that they will probably do what they did at DOA5U's launch and release a costume bundle with all the costumes that were not included for free at a much lower cost and that bundle will probably be exclusive for DOA5LR so the people who did not buy those costumes in the previous release get a massive discount. Or they'll just throw all the costumes on the disc and expect people to pay 93 dollars for on disc dlc.

Last edited:
yeah but how much of the dlc we already bought is going to be automatically included in the new game for free? Thats what happened with a lot of the DLC from the original DOA5. It came packed in with ultimate, you just had to unlock it. Thats my biggest fear, that everything we've already paid for would be free anyway...

It's not free. You're paying for it. For 29.99/39.99 which, if it came with EVERYTHING unlocked, would be an insane deal. I highly doubt it will, though.

Not free though. Labor went in, money comes out. Nothing is free.

It's not free. You're paying for it. For 29.99/39.99 which, if it came with EVERYTHING unlocked, would be an insane deal. I highly doubt it will, though.

Not free though. Labor went in, money comes out. Nothing is free.

I see your point, and i also very much understand they are a business and need to make money.

I guess my problem is that i feel a little taken advantage of. i bought original DOA5 and a good amount of DLC. Then i bought Ultimate and it came with DLC i already paid for. But a third time? Im not going to buy a new version of this game and only get a few extras along with everything ive already paid for anyway. I would hope they just leave the current DLC as paid and include new and original costumes for unlock and purchase. There should be something better for people who have sunk that kind of money into a game, not just oh you can buy it again with some additional features and all your old stuff too.

I dont want to sound like another one of those whiny people on the internet, i LOVE the DOA series and have supported it since the beginning. I just cant keep sinking money into different revisions of the same game. It saddens me to say this, but i think im going to sit this one out. (i say that now, watch me end up with it in hand day 1)

New characters means I have to learn more match-ups.

New stages means more opportunities for me to turn my opponent into Ryu's sissy bitch.

So yeah, I prefer the latter, honestly. The characters I really wanted back are already back (Leon and pseudo Tengu).

What can potentially turn away fans and new people is if Team Ninja doesn't include all of the current DLC in Last Round. While it makes sense for them to do so, it would really be a slap to the face to those who did purchase ALL the DLC for Ultimate, which is like $200+ at this point. They said there's over 300 costumes to be unlocked, so I'm assuming most of the copy & paste costume DLC will be unlockable. We'll see, however.
DLC is transferable iirc. If it's transferable from 360 to XB1... im sure it's transferable on 360/PS3

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD