Dealing with Wakeup/Get-up kicks

Argentus

Its not really 50/50.

The downed person can do a low kick, high kick, or just stand.

You can block, hold, back up, crush, force tech, or do a down attack.

I know everyone else covered it already but I hate when things are called "50/50" or worse, "random" when that's not the case at all.

Intelligent Alpha

Its not really 50/50.

The downed person can do a low kick, high kick, or just stand.

You can block, hold, back up, crush, force tech, or do a down attack.

I know everyone else covered it already but I hate when things are called "50/50" or worse, "random" when that's not the case at all.

25/25/25/25 or 12.5(8) haha you have a point. However, I think that was meant for 2D fighters where the High/Low game is asinine! Yet, I think 50/50 is DOA's case could mean block vs. hold. (ie: "You must hold/you must block)

"Random" is said when they are is obvious no sequence or pattern whatsoever! Even when you mixup or condition (no mixup mixup), there is often a pattern of some kind. If not, we wouldn't say someone is predictable whether that is the intent (conditioning) or not. It's especailly said when it comes to attacks to beat out other attacks when this isn't possible! (Never complete a string unless you hit confirm to a finishing it) "Interrupts/Interrupting" (Mashing is the beginner way to learning how, when and with what. The folks who know frames will certainly call that shit out)

Lulu

If you fancy youreslf as a highly focused individual then you can try what @UncleKitchener said.

You can trade or even flat out beat both options of a wake up Kick..... I'm sure you've seen this happen atleast once if you've played against the AI.

To do this you need 3 things.
  • A Fairly low, Mid Hitting Attack.... it doesn't have to be a true mid but I did notice some times low Wake Up Kicks do sneak under some mids.
  • This Attack must deal 20 Points of Damage or more for it to trade or beat wake up kicks, respectively.
  • This is isn't really necessary beat if you want higher consistency of beating Wake Up kicks then you're attack must be chock full of Active frames.... in other words it needs to be a "Meaty Attack" (just like in Street Fighter). The more active frames you have... the more likely your Attacking Hitbox is likely to Collide with the Wake Up Kick's Hitbox.
And thats all I've managed to learn so far....
:sarah:'s :3::K: I think does 21 Points of damage and has 3 active frames..... however I never managed to beat Low Wake Up kicks with it.

Her :6::H+K: however deals 20 Points of damage so with proper timing you can make it trade with both high and low Wake up Kicks since its also a True Mid.

You can also beat Wake Up Kicks with well timed Power Blows...... I haven't tried this yet.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD