Defensive Players vs Kasumi

Dallas1088

I wanted to make a separate thread about this because I feel it's something that Kasumi really struggles with in DOA5. Often I'll start a match only to find my opponent walking away from me and then baiting me out like a worm on a hook. For a lot of characters this doesn't seem to affect them as much as it does Kasumi; Tina and Hitomi have their flip kicks, Lisa has her 1p, Jann Lee has his 66k, etc. What does Kasumi have?

I mostly try to poke with 6pk and 4p2k, both of which seem pretty safe and less risky than attempting to dive in with Kasumi's 66k or 66f+k. I've heard about people using her 66p, but that scares me.

Question is, how does Kasumi attempt to break the guard of someone adept at defenses without putting herself completely at risk? Or is this simply an issue of falling back on fundamentals to make up for a lack of tools for this situation is the best answer?

Allan Paris

She has moves to close the gap with but unfortunately they're all unsafe. Do no use 66f+k to move in, that sweep will get you beat badly. Then again you do have some people who will fall or it. Still, I don't reccommend using the move.

You have to keep Kasumi on top of players. You allowing them to get away from you will hurt you every time. There's no hidden secret to moving in on people once they get too far from you. Just how they are backing up away from you, you can move forward towards them. You do not need to throw attacks to move in on people.

Personally I have no issue with playing the back of the screen with her. Although I do not prefer it, I just have a lot of experience and I can read really well what moves people are going to space with. Then I use that against them and that is how I am able to move in and out with her with no real issue. But that's me and the rest of you will have to figure out how to close the gap safely on your own or as a collective group as this is what this thread is for.

I will say that any whiffing of her moves is not a very good idea. It doesn't matter which move it is. Once you figure out how to rush down properly. Zoning opponents won't be such a big threat because they really won't be able to get away from you too much.

Shinigamimatt

Sadly, what Allan says is true. Spacing is Kasumi's crutch. It's gonna be hard to deal with no matter what. I'd advise always walking towards them. That way you can guard at any moment. Throwing out attacks at random won't be effective. That's what they want.

Pushing 363636363 is usually what I do. It's why her force techs in DOA4 were so amazing. It allowed you to keep the pressure up. Kasumi was all offense. That was her defense.

Dallas1088

I took what you guys said to heart and I think it paid off some :) I was able to beat a few people I normally have trouble with... although a Rig player gave me a lot of trouble tonight, I've really gotta learn what his moves look like. Outside that, I feel like I was playing a lot slower, but more deliberate; taking care not to get flustered when someone walked away (I honestly find that Helena players do this the most).

Is Kasumi's 3pk considered a good poke? I threw that into my gameplan tonight and it certainly seemed to help my overall playstyle :)

Shinigamimatt

I took what you guys said to heart and I think it paid off some :) I was able to beat a few people I normally have trouble with... although a Rig player gave me a lot of trouble tonight, I've really gotta learn what his moves look like. Outside that, I feel like I was playing a lot slower, but more deliberate; taking care not to get flustered when someone walked away (I honestly find that Helena players do this the most).

Is Kasumi's 3pk considered a good poke? I threw that into my gameplan tonight and it certainly seemed to help my overall playstyle :)

I know, it's obvious, but it's good habit to memorize the opponents' kick distance. I know what it's like to get flustered and rush in. Jann Lee players absolutely love to space. Just gotta stay level. When a player walks back, they're baiting you to rush in. Don't fall for it.

Her 3PK is very nice. I wouldn't really say so for a gap closing move, though. The good thing is that after the kick, you can bait them into one of her poke strings since people tend to come in on you after you use that kick.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I'm glad I read this because I was tired of getting my ass kicked because of being unsafe & have trouble defending against people.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
She has moves to close the gap with but unfortunately they're all unsafe. Do no use 66f+k to move in, that sweep will get you beat badly. Then again you do have some people who will fall or it. Still, I don't reccommend using the move.

You have to keep Kasumi on top of players. You allowing them to get away from you will hurt you every time. There's no hidden secret to moving in on people once they get too far from you. Just how they are backing up away from you, you can move forward towards them. You do not need to throw attacks to move in on people.

Personally I have no issue with playing the back of the screen with her. Although I do not prefer it, I just have a lot of experience and I can read really well what moves people are going to space with. Then I use that against them and that is how I am able to move in and out with her with no real issue. But that's me and the rest of you will have to figure out how to close the gap safely on your own or as a collective group as this is what this thread is for.

I will say that any whiffing of her moves is not a very good idea. It doesn't matter which move it is. Once you figure out how to rush down properly. Zoning opponents won't be such a big threat because they really won't be able to get away from you too much.
Like Ayane. I was having some big time trouble outta her & what was so bad about it, she's my secondary character lol.

XDest

Don't mash, do stagger/delay/cancel pressure and mix it up. And I don't mean just whatever -> sweep/mid either. Be creative!

If you're being unsafe, then you need to fix some habits.

Dallas1088

What about canceling Kasumi's combos early with a move which causes ground bounce then force teching them off the ground with :2::F+K:? That way the opponent doesn't get far away and Kasumi is able to begin mixup pressure again.

Has anyone experimented with this, or know of any setups? I know on CB when Kasumi does :3::3::K: into :6::6::K::K: it gives her enough time to force tech her opponent while still getting decent damage. I haven't been able to try it on a real opponent yet because I can never seem to land :6::6::K::K: during a combo online :confused:

Allan Paris

What about canceling Kasumi's combos early with a move which causes ground bounce then force teching them off the ground with :2::F+K:? That way the opponent doesn't get far away and Kasumi is able to begin mixup pressure again.

Has anyone experimented with this, or know of any setups? I know on CB when Kasumi does :3::3::K: into :6::6::K::K: it gives her enough time to force tech her opponent while still getting decent damage. I haven't been able to try it on a real opponent yet because I can never seem to land :6::6::K::K: during a combo online :confused:

You force teching someone with 2F+K is only going to happen in a juggle that ends with the move. Even still the opponent has to let you do it. That is not a move that you purposely want to force tech with.

If someone techs up and your caught trying to force tech them doing that move. You will be low thrown.

Murakame

You force teching someone with 2F+K is only going to happen in a juggle that ends with the move. Even still the opponent has to let you do it. That is not a move that you purposely want to force tech with.

If someone techs up and your caught trying to force tech them doing that move. You will be low thrown.

Does she have any other options for force tech besides that and 9K?

Allan Paris

Her teleporting punch will force tech. But that needs to be setup. 2K, 2P, 4H+K, 1K, 1P, take your pick. There's too much invincibility on grounded opponents so unless you are force teching with a setup it will be a hit or miss force teching with any character.

ErickBello

Hmm, I found a way to cripple some defensive players when they get away, but it's somewhat unsafe and unreliable, it worked with some defensive A+ Ranks on PSN.
Use 9P,K · 6P+K to get closer, they would let their guard down or whiff, then KK or 4PKK to punish. (or 4PK P+K2K as a 4 hit combo.)
or simply when you get closer, throw them.

SenjuGkage

I'm new to the game(just got it yesterday lol) but from what I've seen so far, 3P+KK2K works beautifully to get a quick knockdown in the beginning for people who keep backing away. Or just 3P+K and whatever you want to follow up with. I thought the move would be easily telegraphed but I guess people keep expecting me to go for quick high strikes as soon as the match starts?

You could also try 3P+K and a throw (Is the notation for a throw F?) for the petal throw, but you'd have to follow it up with something that can cover up some ground quickly.

And I find people get confused when I bring out the petals with 9PK,6P+K . You can always count on the petals lol

vINv

Trying to understand this directional number notation not used to it tekken notates differntly but this is all useful kasumi is my 2ndary if any of u would like spar some id like always trying to get better

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD