Directional Guard Vs. Button Guard

WAZAAAAA

No Comic Sans on thumbnails please... actually no Comic Sans anywhere.

The video seems incomplete, for example where is fuzzy guard? And the "mobile guard" done by holding 7? And the fact that button guarding can prevent yourself from getting tricked into directional guarding in the wrong way because of the camera moving too fast (kind of like crossups)?

WAZAAAAA

The internet h8s comic sans so Ill go out of my way to be a douche about it LOL so epic
It's a coincidence if the internet happens to hate it too (lol not really, it's just bad). Go suck Microsoft Clippy's dick.

Lulu

I only found out about this yesterday..... you can't move if you guard with the Button.
Not that it makes a difference..... directional guarding is painfully slow.
anyway so after I found out that it takes 5 frames to turn around and block from a back turned state I started backwards crouching instead. Crouching only takes one frame and I'm assuming this stays true if if you try to crouch while your back is turned.. why do I do this you ask... well Tina and Bass and numerous characters with advantage throws that leave in you Back Turned state give them a big enough advantage to strike and throw you before you can turn and block...... its guaranteed right ? Well if you just duck down you just might beat the the fastest high jab and throw they have...... you're stil vulnerable to low jabs and throws.... whats funny is nobody ever low throws and it appears there's a glitch that causes you character to automatically turn around and guard low attacks.... I'm pretty sure thats not suppose to happen and it doesn't happen all the time..... but it does happen.
However the real reason nobody crouches in this situation is because you are completely vulnerable to mids...... which I know for a fact that Pai Chan's mid punch does reach you just in time.... Tina has one too. 3 K, if I remember right, is just fast enough to connect after a 44 T.
So uhm yeah.... not exactly fool proof (infact its pretty much suicide).
But if you if you ever catch your opponent not covering their bases after an advantage throw then you can spring this lil trick on them if they do it over and over again.... make it count it though..... you won't be getting away with it twice.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Crouching is only 1 frame against a high attack. It's 5F against anything else.

Lulu

Crouching is only 1 frame against a high attack. It's 5F against anything else.
Low attacks are slower..... the fastest one can't be too fast right ?
I only tested my lil crouching trick against Bayman and Tina... I'm not sure how useful it is.
Speaking of which.... do people explore all the possibilties of an advantage throw/hold or do they just go for the guaranteed hits (Assuming they're not expecting people to crouch) ?

Lulu

2p is definite as hell not slow

On the plus side there are very few characters that can turn 2 P into serious damage.... even on counter hit.... I guess the worst case scenario is some one jabbing your heels while you're standing in water.... now that would be a real problem.
Damn DoA has the best level design.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Low attacks are slower..... the fastest one can't be too fast right ?
I only tested my lil crouching trick against Bayman and Tina... I'm not sure how useful it is.
Speaking of which.... do people explore all the possibilties of an advantage throw/hold or do they just go for the guaranteed hits (Assuming they're not expecting people to crouch) ?

I can't speak for people in the general sense. But I test it as well factoring in the 5 frame turn around time and going only for mid or low options due to people attempting to high crush from back turned (Like Jann Lee's BT 2K). Examples are 6K being guaranteed after Bass' 214H+P 6H+P kitchen sink push away that is +11 but 6K is guaranteed with a psuedo Guarantee of 6KP. I say pseudo because technically if the person is staggering fastest then they can hold at their first available frame the Punch followup, but in 99.999% of the cases this is just practically humanly impossible considering the 18 frames you have to get to fastest speed, stop, and hit 4H.

I believe Bayman and Leifang players can parry it because it takes 3 frames for them to perform their Back-turned parries, but in my experience only @Rikuto will do this to me. The situation doesn't happen enough times for most Bayman/Leifang players I know for them to be aware of it, and most often they just attribute it to being guaranteed like it practically is against the rest of the cast.

For some characters too, the throwing player can actually land a throw on the opponent while in advantage. Bass' and Bayman's Back-turned throws each put their opponent's into such an advantage. I think Brad has one as well.

Lulu

I can't speak for people in the general sense. But I test it as well factoring in the 5 frame turn around time and going only for mid or low options due to people attempting to high crush from back turned (Like Jann Lee's BT 2K). Examples are 6K being guaranteed after Bass' 214H+P 6H+P kitchen sink push away that is +11 but 6K is guaranteed with a psuedo Guarantee of 6KP. I say pseudo because technically if the person is staggering fastest then they can hold at their first available frame the Punch followup, but in 99.999% of the cases this is just practically humanly impossible considering the 18 frames you have to get to fastest speed, stop, and hit 4H.

I believe Bayman and Leifang players can parry it because it takes 3 frames for them to perform their Back-turned parries, but in my experience only @Rikuto will do this to me. The situation doesn't happen enough times for most Bayman/Leifang players I know for them to be aware of it, and most often they just attribute it to being guaranteed like it practically is against the rest of the cast.

For some characters too, the throwing player can actually land a throw on the opponent while in advantage. Bass' and Bayman's Back-turned throws each put their opponent's into such an advantage. I think Brad has one as well.
You're right.... I was just Fighting Pai earlier and she has giant vortex out of a few of her advantage holds........
many of them do have guarantees...... however theres always a chance somebody might get greedy and use riskier moves. And when they do.... POUNCE !!!

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You're right.... I was just Fighting Pai earlier and she has giant vortex out of a few of her advantage holds........
many of them do have guarantees...... however theres always a chance somebody might get greedy and use riskier moves. And when they do.... POUNCE !!!

The risk you have is being counter hit while attempting to high crush them.

Lulu

The risk you have is being counter hit while attempting to high crush them.

No guts no glory... ;)
Appearently you can't Stagger Escape from a Guard Break...... although I guess thats fair.... usually only one specific move is guaranteed after a guard break.....

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD