Doa 5 Girl Community...

franman

I would have to disagree; while I can't speak for the entire DOA community, FSD has a pretty masculine, no-nonsense vibe. I made a thread awhile back about a romantic pairing, and the general reaction was pretty derisive. The most "positive" response was something like "This is technically allowed, but...WTF are you doing?"

Ah, to be a fangirl.
To say FSD is pretty masculine has nothing to due with FSD targetting males only (which isn't) but more due to the majority of male gamers.

You are here and that is great! FGCs such as this needs more females like you to add a different flavour to the masculine agenda. To have a female side makes things harder for FSD to achieve that despite that there are other DOA communities like DOACentral. I rather encourage female players to join FSD, but really I should be encouraging anyone regardless of gender.

BTW the romantic pairing I find nothing wrong with that, good thing it isn't locked or deleted otherwise this forum really enforces a male perspective which is worse; I'm pretty sure you'll find some men who are willing to co-operate, I had something like that in the Soul Calibur forums and pretty much ppl gave answers as well as some that just slightly troll (as in they do give the answer but a silly kind of answer intentionally). No shame in being a fangirl.

We are having an All Female Tournament.... Check the link.... then goto Events....
Males are wlecome to watch the tournament... which will be streamed.... It is This Sunday @ 4.... Details on Page......

P.S. We do not exclude any Gender.... And keep off Sexiest topics to your self.... And thanks for the likes :)

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
We are having an All Female Tournament.... Check the link.... then goto Events....
Males are wlecome to watch the tournament... which will be streamed.... It is This Sunday @ 4.... Details on Page......

P.S. We do not exclude any Gender.... And keep off Sexiest topics to your self.... And thanks for the likes :)

.... you are excluding males. Male is a gender.

franman

We are having an All Female Tournament
P.S. We do not exclude any Gender....
and this is the contradiction Rikuto was pointing out.

As much as males can sit and spectate alongside with females, having them not participate in the tournament with females does not hide the fact that it is by definition exclusion.

If Vanesa, Kayane as well as well as any other female player can compete in tournaments along-side with men, I don't see why you shouldn't either. But I guess if females were to participate in all female tournaments then I guess men should have their own just like how we see this in sports, but this isn't sports this is e-sports.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
We do not exclude.. any gender... We also have practice sessions where males come in and teach the girls Basic Strats to the game... This is for Girls who dont want to be played with just because they are girls...

I hope you understand where my main problem with this stems. I have no issue with females trying to build up their confidence, although this seems like trying to teach people how to backstroke in the shallow end of the pool. The whole concept behind it is entirely flawed if you ask me.

The main problem is it starts with one group of females of who are too shy/insecure/whatever to play with the core community. They let their confidence build in private, and their numbers grow. Then they start to advertise themselves an organized, competent and legitimate competitive body even though they are not one. Then they start getting invited places that legitimate players are supposed to be getting invited to, and taking opportunities that do not belong to them.

At that stage, they are being treated differently simply because they are female. They can be complete trash at the game, but they are in reality being treated better than superior players around them. They are taking important opportunities from other players they have no business being associated with. They are stealing.

I believe you may have heard of CGS before? A debacle created almost entirely of this kind of political nonsense.

Either way, I don't have any particular problem with what you are doing currently, but I have a major major problem with what it inevitably leads to when given any measure of success. If you don't let it go that route, I'll have no problems with you.

Mailifang

I just gonna add my 2 cents here before things get a little chippy.

*It is not sexist for female gamer's to have their own all female gatherings. They just want a place to gather and game without having to deal with male drama.Most guys I know have their own gatherings because they don't want to deal with our (female) drama as well.

*Both sexes I feel need to be among their own once in awhile.

*I don't know if many of you have been to EVO(I have once) it is not the most comfortable place for female players. The majority of the females there were cosplayers,models, and girlfriends to some of the male players. I had fun at EVO but that's because I get along more with men than I do women lol.

* The majority of the FGC is made up of guys between the ages 19 - 30. Quite a few of them are obnoxious and immature when dealing with women around other other guys. I've had a lot of incidents where guys just like to "bullshit" and things got out of hand.I can tolerate trash talking on a mature level but when it gets sophmoric and insulting then it becomes offensive.

*Many female players find it hard to become comfortable in male dominated highly competitive environments. Especially in a "frat boy" type of environment where guys are well....being guys.

*I'm not saying all guys in the FGC lack maturity.Most of you are mature.But when you all get together and let your hair down the level of pure testosterone may be too much for a few female players to deal with. I'm a "hood rat" so I'm used to being around and dealing with men on they're level.

I guess all I'm saying is that a few you shouldn't feel offended or discriminated against. Be men and claim your ballz. Stop being so darn sensitive. ;)

Virtua Mima

Meh I'm not sure this poor girl is trying to "steal" opportunities from other people :( She had a good initiative, but I guess I would be offended if I saw a men-only tournament...

As much as males can sit and spectate alongside with females, having them not participate in the tournament with females does not hide the fact that it is by definition exclusion.

If Vanesa, Kayane as well as well as any other female player can compete in tournaments along-side with men, I don't see why you shouldn't either. But I guess if females were to participate in all female tournaments then I guess men should have their own just like how we see this in sports, but this isn't sports this is e-sports.

This page has just started and for you people to bash it..... because you cannot play... is simply childish...
this page is to get females comfortable with one another... later we had plans on opening up to males gamers..
but if this is what is causes... why would anybody want to be apart of a bunch of crying... it is exciting to see female players join together... and the same goes for guys..... enjoy the game

p.s. >If< you do not know them personally dont put peoples names into it.

Meh I'm not sure this poor girl is trying to "steal" opportunities from other people :( She had a good initiative, but I guess I would be offended if I saw a men-only tournament...

the sad thing is... this is the only place that has given this page issues everybody else shows support and likes it.... Good Job Doa Community

Mailifang

I hope you understand where my main problem with this stems. I have no issue with females trying to build up their confidence, although this seems like trying to teach people how to backstroke in the shallow end of the pool. The whole concept behind it is entirely flawed if you ask me.

The main problem is it starts with one group of females of who are too shy/insecure/whatever to play with the core community. They let their confidence build in private, and their numbers grow. Then they start to advertise themselves an organized, competent and legitimate competitive body even though they are not one. Then they start getting invited places that legitimate players are supposed to be getting invited to, and taking opportunities that do not belong to them.

At that stage, they are being treated differently simply because they are female. They can be complete trash at the game, but they are in reality being treated better than superior players around them. They are taking important opportunities from other players they have no business being associated with. They are stealing.

I believe you may have heard of CGS before? A debacle created almost entirely of this kind of political nonsense.

Either way, I don't have any particular problem with what you are doing currently, but I have a major major problem with what it inevitably leads to when given any measure of success. If you don't let it go that route, I'll have no problems with you.

Hmmmm...I see where your coming from Rikuto. Some of it I agree with. What I am getting out of your post is that your against some form of "High level tournament affirmative action". At the same time I'm all for "equal oppurtunity" especially if you proved yourself competent enough to be warrant given a shot. Many in the DOA community always whine about the lack of players showing up to events. But if their is a growing scene of offline female players even if they just are organized entirely of women, and even if their skill level is not up to the standards of everyone else in the competitive community shouldn't they at least be given a shot to prove themselves. Alienating them just because they separate themselves from the rest of the community is not gonna improve how they feel about the community already.Sure you could say that just bcaus they are a large group of female players they get invited and take up spots at events. But as of now the DOA community needs people period showing up at offline events.So beggars cannot be choosers.

Will the talent level at offline events drop? Probably. Will match quality degrade?Most likely. But that's not based n gender that's based on skill level. You may have a drop in competitive matches but at least you got more people showing up to events. Far as I know first and fore most games are meant to be played for fun. If people are gathering and having fun then you have yourself a community.The cream will always rise to the top eventually. The top players will remain top.And if a handful of female players out of an all female organized crew become dedicated offline players then its win win.

The world is based and built on biases.Why not use a bias for a positive out come. It worked for this country ;).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
the sad thing is... this is the only place that has given this page issues everybody else shows support and likes it.... Good Job Doa Community

You didn't pick a great community to start a female-only movement. Not because we dislike females, but because of the previous bad experiences we've had with them taking advantage of the community before.

What happened in the WCG/CGS era was an abomination that no one wants to go back to... except, of course, some of the females who took advantage of it.

This is admittedly a knee-jerk reaction but, frankly, pretty damn justified.

You didn't pick a great community to start a female-only movement. Not because we dislike females, but because of the previous bad experiences we've had with them taking advantage of the community before.

What happened in the WCG/CGS era was an abomination that no one wants to go back to... except, of course, some of the females who took advantage of it.

Thank you for your thoughts....

Virtua Mima

Care to explain what happened in the "WCG/CGS era"?

Mailifang

Vanessa, Kayane, and a few others are "exception to the rule". Just like the handful of girls and young women who play football in high school and college.And they are primarily place kickers. Not all is equal in the world of sports and competitive gaming. The FGC has easier chance to get more women playing games at a competitive level.But it will come when female gamer's become more involved. But the FGC as a whole is not making it easy. You guys are not stopping us from being apart of it. But the culture within the FGC is not very welcoming to even male new comers.So its harder for females.

You are accepted in the FGC not only if you can compete and hold your own but you also have to buy into the culture.Which is dominated by "bullshit". Men have a way of talking,acting, and relating to each other when they are all together that quite a few women have trouble dealing and associating with.I can handle it just fine. Its just I call the men in the FGC on their "bullshit" and that's what gets me in trouble lol. The fact of the matter is women "gossip" and men "bullshit" when we communicate with one another.

I don't know what The Mistress of DOA intent is as far as running her group.But its not really any of my business.Its her group lt her run it how she sees fit.You guys crying "sexism" and putting her on blast is not gonna improve whatever negative attitude she may have towards the FGC as a whole. Until she denies men the right to vote and forces you guys to go into the kitchen to make her sammich then she is not being sexist. It took guts for her to even start this thread. If there is no discriminatory intent behind her organization then just leave her alone

Vanity Assassin

I wouldn't say this is anything remotely resembling a male dominated community. If we start throwing casuals + other DOA sites like DOAW into the mix, its basically dead even.

If we were talking about the core FGC spread across all fighting games then yes, you would be largely correct.

Since DOA 5 launched I've added about 10 females to my XBL friends list and two to my PSN. Not because I was trying to, the requests just come in. There's a ton of women who play the game.
yes there is, and a separate place to meet just for women is not really needed imo, regardless if you are male or female we are all here for DOA

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_Gaming_Series

For the first season of the league there was six franchises from six different major cities throughout Region 1 (the U.S. and Canada) plus a total of ten more franchises from the other Global Regions around the world. Each franchise consists of a total of ten players: five Counter-Strike:Source players, two Dead or Alive 4 players (one male and one female), one FIFA 07 player, and two Project Gotham Racing 3 players.

Notice that DOA was the only game divided by gender among their entire lineup?

It's because politics like this were allowed to exist in the first place. And all of the players on that show were payed 30K a year regardless of their performance. There wasn't a single female player in existence as of the recording of that show who actually deserved to be on there.

As the show existed for two seasons, that means the ever-so-deserving female doa community who was only trying to promote peace and happiness and blah blah blah ended up stealing approximately $1,080,000 BEFORE actual winning bonuses.

And this all came to pass due to the PMS clan saying the exact same things you are saying right now.

Again Mistress, not saying this is your angle. The PMS clan is a very special level of corrupt. I'm just saying, it all starts the same way.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Basically promotions enjoyed the fact there are so many females playing DOA. They wanted to show that there are female gamers so the put the spotlight on them.

In theory, it's a nice thing to promote female gamers to come out and play together by showing the amount of support they have.

In my personal experience, doing this only ends up further segregating the sexes. It's fine to have a gathering and such and promote fun competitive play for your fellow gender. The issue is that by putting up a wall it ends up looking more like a ceiling.

CGS decided to make a Male and a Female version of DOA4. The female division did not play against the males in official matches.

So what happened was, and I'm using obviously exaggerated fictitious numbers here, but let's say out of a group, 80% are male, and 20% are female. Now, let's say out of the top 20% high-level competitive players you have 95% male and 5% female. If you want to have a whole league for both individual genders, you will need to bring in more 'low-level' players from the females to balance out the roster.

This ends up making the females look "weak" in comparison to the males, because there are less of them that can compete with the males in the game.

Had CGS just not doen a segregated gender competition, the girls could have had a better showing by actually competing with the entire pool instead of what was effectively the shallow end. Any person can learn to play, but the level of competition the player gets is what effects how fast they can learn. In the case of CGS, Vanessa had been playing for well over 5 years online with the "entire pool" of players, and most of the females in the league were just picking up the game so she easily won against all of them because she was at such a higher level than they were, because she was used to playing "in the deep end". However, I doubt she would have gotten the 5-0 undefeated streaks had she been up against the male division, not saying she would have done terribly, just not as easily. What's worst about the CGS set up was that a female could never play a male in a match. So this effectively could be looked at as "You're just not good enough."

Evolution ran into a similar issue when they decided to host a "Female only" SF4 tournament a year or so back. It was meant to show the amount of females in the community, but all it did was make it seem like "No, you have to have your own tournament." even though they were allowed to enter the all gender one. Of course other issues came up, where players who were transgendered or were not born a female would be allowed to play.

Just ramblings of how I saw things. I think segregating the genders with money, fame, and ego on the line just leads to bad things and would rather a female just make it to the top by playing with the same players everyone else does. It just seems fair and equal to me.

However, that's not to say I don't condone the event you girls are running. Just saying my point of view on things.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD