DOA4 Arcade Stick: How awful is it?

Is the DOA4 Arcade Stick worth using?

• You're better off with the 360 D-Pad

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • The DOA4 Arcade Stick is at least better than a 360 D-Pad

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Invest your money in a higher quality stick, and ditch the rest.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
New to this community, so hi.

I bought the DOA4 arcade stick (kokoro) just for collector purposes. I've played with it a few times and sometimes I play great with it, sometimes I do fucking awful.

I hate my 360 d-pad, and I want to start using an arcade stick. Is it possible with practice, that I'll do just fine on the DOA4 Arcade stick? Or am I better off investing money in a higher quality stick?

Score/10, and poll?

Raansu

It's just a matter of getting used to a stick. Getting a different one isn't going to drastically improve your performance. It's not the best in the world but overall the DoA4 stick was a really good stick.

Tenren

actually the hori DOA4 stick, part wise suck ass. I broke 2 in 1 week lol. First was the buttons. The second was the stick itself. If your hard on controllers/sticks they are not worth it. A lot has changed since they first came out. I talked with a few people at EVO using the MLG pad. They all seemed to like it. I just don't feel like spending $100 for a pad.
Just play around with both and get the feel for what you like. From there decided if investing in a better pad or stick is for you. Myself just moved over to a custom hitbox

Ooobe

I voted "it's at least better than the 360 pad" <anything would be imo>, but really, if you want to use stick I'd go with "invest your money in a better one."
Mine didn't break, but I agree with everything Tenren said. Just picked up a HRAP V3 ($20-$30 cheaper than the game licensed TE's I believe) and it's unbelievable what a difference the parts make. If I'd skipped the first stick, I could have bought a really nice one for the combined price of the two I have.
Unless I replace all the parts, I'll never use the DOA4 stick again and for the difference in price above, you can get d3v to do custom art for you. <I don't know all the details, but will be finding out soon>

Raansu

actually the hori DOA4 stick, part wise suck ass. I broke 2 in 1 week lol. First was the buttons. The second was the stick itself. If your hard on controllers/sticks they are not worth it. A lot has changed since they first came out. I talked with a few people at EVO using the MLG pad. They all seemed to like it. I just don't feel like spending $100 for a pad.
Just play around with both and get the feel for what you like. From there decided if investing in a better pad or stick is for you. Myself just moved over to a custom hitbox

Mine lasted 5 years. Only reason it broke was because I decided to put it in my luggage when I was flying home from Japan instead of shipping it in a box.

Gill Hustle

I'm pretty sure the DOA stick is the same mold as the generic VF5 hori that came out afterwards.

If it is as I suspect, I would only keep it as a collectors item cuz those parts WILL FAIL.

Buy something higher end or even just mod a MadCatz SE . . . which cost me about the same as a TE . . . I'm done here.

Tenren

yes they use the same mold. The old Hori's like the DOA4 stick are EX while the newer ones are called VX. The VX sticks use better parts but still they are not as good as the Hori pro sticks. The insides are really crappy. The EX sticks use micro-push buttons that are solder direct to the boards. The stick is just as cheap with plastic holding it together. They can be modded but this would ruin the value.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
So does it suck because you broke it, or does it suck because you have a disadvantage in combat? I'm pretty gentle with my equipment, so I would be shocked if it broke on me.

If I'm going to invest in an arcade stick, I want the best, and your recommendation would be very beneficial. Links please?

d3v

It's based on the old Hori FS, arguably the worst low-end stick from any major brand.

Tenren

as d3v said, they break very easily, parts wise they dont last very long. If you want a stick Id go with a qanba. Its dual modded so you can play 360 & ps3 out the box. Part wise not the best but still very good and easy to mod. You can also search the srk forums and find madcatz custom sticks with dual mods for just under the price of a new qanba. D3V is prolly going to be your best bet when it comes to stick info lol

Tenren

They are just cheaply made. Even the madcatz SE sticks were good but still had a lot of issues. My first SE stick still works today but the second one lasted a month before getting the washer ring issue. Hori just didn't put in quality parts. Think of it this way, would you rather have a house built of straw or brick

Tones

Premium Donor
Between me and nash, we've chronically handled 5 of them. They seem to vary a bit, some feel better than others. If you plan to show up to local events, get a stick that's cross compatible. Example, his is awesome, one of mine, one button stopped working and another is a bit sticky (gets stuck). The other one of mine I changed the parts.

d3v

The old Hori FS bodies were just terrible. Soldered on buttons, not enough clearance for a JLF, etc. In fact, the design of the MadCatz SE was specifically to address these flaws. Sure the stock parts aren't as good as Sanwa, but the you can easily swap new Sanwa parts in. That's something that not even the new FS.V3/VX can do.

s-blade

DOA4 stick was my first stick for a long time. I got the most use out of it playing GG and MB. It did the trick but only barely and yeah it does wear out and you'll be having trouble hitting corners.

If you already bought one and are comfortable with it, then you can use it for a while but you should be pressured to find something better when you can. Everyone who's been to a tournament will have something better than you, but the stick is still "standard" enough, its not like you are using some no-name brand gigantic wireless arcade stick that has analog sticks on it, and that would have been your only other choice for the price of a DOA4 stick

If you don't have one already then shoot to buy a TE or other madcatz stick. It's well worth the extra $ as it will serve you for years longer with top quality and reliability.

riceman789

The buttons and stick itself were not that great, easily you can break them without even knowing(from my experience). My friend still has his but he replaced them with sanwa buttons and stick(I don't know how he put a jlf in there but w/e). For me I would rather just save up for a TE/DOA5 stick/EightArc(Must have, tri-mod...yesshh), it'll last longer and high quality parts are your friend.

The DoA4 stick is a Hori EX2 and while nowadays with newer Hori sticks and the MadCatz TE out it is not ideal, it honestly isn't bad and is alright as babbys first arcade stick. I myself used mine for years when the 360 was new and there was no other options short of custom building one.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD