DOA5 Balance Test Combo Footage #3

Belinea

Yohei Shimbori said:
Here's the last combo video before Tougeki. This time we have Hitomi, Hayabusa, Chrisie, Bayman and La Mariposa.

Some of the balance is still kind of iffy, but we tried our best. I was told we could only use characters that we've announced already, so this is it for now.

Hayabusa has some non-combo stuff too. If you just watch combo videos, then you'll notice a difference between characters that are good with combos and those that aren't. But DOA5 isn't just about combos. It's about the number of followups, types of followups, how safe you are after guard, how fast a move's startup is, reach, OHs, specific holds, Criticals, hold damage, throw damage, and on and on. It's about bringing those out in each character in a different way, and making each character unique.

You have to play to really understand this, though. I wish more people could get their hands on the game before launch, but at least we can put out these videos and a few lucky people can try the game out at special events.

And for all the people waiting for the game, I'm going back to work until the very end to make sure this game feels as fun as it possibly can!

Baron West

So if I'm understanding things correctly Christie gets a critical stun from that sway move? That's going to be fun. Just by looking I can see there's a better combo off Christie's low punch hold than what they've shown, but it's not like they said it was a max damage trailer.

Going by what I've seen in the trailer, Lisa kinda sucks. Again. Maybe I'm missing something.

@Rikuto. If I'm understanding the whole critical burst thing properly, he can do a lot more damage than the limbo stun combo they just showed.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Lisa's 9k goes straight into a sitdown stun... can't be that bad.

@Rikuto. If I'm understanding the whole critical burst thing properly, he can do a lot more damage than the limbo stun combo they just showed.

Well he just did 55% lifebar in open space.... that was pretty good.... but I could squeeze more damage out of that if we're talking about lightweights yes.

I'm pretty convinced I can get around 75% on average if there are decent environmental factors involved. Death combos are theoretical possible as well if the environment is being incredibly generous, but it's hard to gauge without training mode.

And of course, just because I can do it doesn't mean I will. My opponent still has to let me set them up for that kind of pain.

Doug Nguyen

Lei fangs hair was down!! I saw people on all the DOA facebook pages complaining about loose hair, so i bet there happy.

KwonJigglypuff

What does Lisa lack ?
We haven't seen her running stance, that's weird.
I like her new butt move by the way. Hmm.

How did they come with such a beautiful throw for Ryu. I love it.

And good for those who were complaining about hair options in DOA5. IMO Lei Fang looks better with the braids and Kasumi with the ponytails, but why not!

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It should work on even NH.

His limbo stun was from doa 2/3. Back in DOA 2 I could actually loop F+K limbo stun into 6k to reset the stun, and combo it back into the F+K limbo stun while resetting the threshold between hits. This would happen if the defender tried to slow escape, mash attacks, hold block, whatever. If they did anything other than put down the damn controller it was an infinite, and some people never figured it out.

It was HILARIOUS. I so hope that trap is back.

PhoenixVFIRE

His limbo stun was from doa 2/3. Back in DOA 2 I could actually loop F+K limbo stun into 6k to reset the stun, and combo it back into the F+K limbo stun while resetting the threshold between hits. This would happen if the defender tried to slow escape, mash attacks, hold block, whatever. If they did anything other than put down the damn controller it was an infinite, and some people never figured it out.

Shit >_> LOL Rikuto you bad bad boy tsk tsk tsk...

Question Rikuto: You notice how Christie was ducking for Bayman to get the sitdown stun from 3K? Ok so, would the same rules apply for whiff punishment? Say someone whiffed an unsafe that would normally result in a low grab punish, could you instead sit them down with 3K(or any move that results in a sit)?

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
So Hayabusa got his dumb air combo without stance >__< .. oh joy...

Lisa's air throw should be alot more useful than in DOA4 cuz of the lower height restriction.

Lei Fang's hair ... mmm .. now all we need is the ponytail and leather shorts.

Bayman ... is ... a beast .. enough said.

I see alot of potential in christie's mid string sidestep.. that's gonna be such a cool mixup.

Hitomi seems more or less the same as E3 ... I could be wrong. But she was good anyway..

I still can't help but feel Hayate is lacking. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Rikuto, don't forget that slow escaping limbo leads to turn around now. That loop might not work as well.

PhoenixVFIRE

Rikuto, don't forget that slow escaping limbo leads to turn around now. That loop might not work as well.
Wait nvm... I see what you said. my bad

but, I think you could still mess with them.

Here's another question...Was that Christie super charged poke in the first combo an unblockable? Wait, I think they let go of block :/ Oh well.

Baron West

Well he just did 55% lifebar in open space.... that was pretty good.... but I could squeeze more damage out of that if we're talking about lightweights yes.

I'm pretty convinced I can get around 75% on average if there are decent environmental factors involved. Death combos are theoretical possible as well if the environment is being incredibly generous, but it's hard to gauge without training mode.

And of course, just because I can do it doesn't mean I will. My opponent still has to let me set them up for that kind of pain.

After taking hi-counter throw damage for the past 10+ years seeing a strike combo do 55% doesn't seem that bad. In fact it seems justified.

I was actually just thinking lightweights and maybe mids since environmental damage is a given. I notice a lot of people are mislead about the shorter guaranteed combos(versus the longer cb dependent combos) and don't realize that an environmental boost is possible for many of them.

9k into sit down is good...but I don't see Lisa players shouting how screwed everyone is because of it. It's not that good. But we'll see what else she has. I know everyone is focused on flash and/or cb's right now, so many(but not all) people aren't paying a whole lot of attention to combo fillers. I imagine we'll only know what's really good when it comes time to get into training mode.

What does Lisa lack ?
We haven't seen her running stance, that's weird.
I like her new butt move by the way. Hmm.

She's one of those characters that has a lot of flashy moves, but few practical ones.

Relius Starkiller

So let me get this straight.

We all want balance but 55% combo's equal hooray, the possibility of a 75% combo is just fine and we're fine with death combos.

This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
So let me get this straight.

We all want balance but 55% combo's equal hooray, the possibility of a 75% combo is just fine and we're fine with death combos.

This is what happens when the inmates run the asylum.

all the combos done in all 3 vids are all HI COUNTER combos (meaning 150% damage output). and ALL combos have multiple punish points. With this in mind, yes, it is fair.

Batcommander

Um, is it just me or does Lisa still look slow as fuck -_-

I am hoping that new running stance is good, and for god's sake, give her some ground throws. It always irked me that she was a wrestler with such a limited amount of actual throws in DOA4.

New butt move looks nice though. I assume there is guaranteed damage from her 66 and 44 throws, which is already a plus! Also, i hope BT gets a lot more options, since from what i remember it wasn't that great in DOA4.

p.s. hello freestepdodge, i'm new :)

Raansu

Hitomi's 3k doesn't sit down anymore... And he didn't do a CB till the 5th hit. Kind pointless after that many hits unless I'm just going for a PB.

@RS
Then go play DoA4. Damage is fine where it is at.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Hitomi's 3k doesn't sit down anymore... And he didn't do a CB till the 5th hit. Kind pointless after that many hits unless I'm just going for a PB.

@RS
Then go play DoA4. Damage is fine where it is at.

It's possible 3K could cause sitdown on crouching, low holding, or characters already in sit down (since it's a force crouch stun).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD