DoA5U AE Ryu Patch wishlist

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
All i really want is the underworld drop, make it happen Team Ninja please

Im not good with the tech stuff but i wish his guard breaks from vanilla are brought back :/

Nameless Sama

All i really want is the underworld drop, make it happen Team Ninja please

Im not good with the tech stuff but i wish his guard breaks from vanilla are brought back :/

Underworld would be great but I prefer the Flying Swallow and a mid kick CB set up. 3H+K or 4PK is very useless compared to vanilia. If they could patch like the vanilia version would be very great. I am asking myself why not including all these stuff to Arcade again but Ithat would be a dream. Its possible to include the GB from vanillia to AE again but dont expect too much....

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Underworld would be great but I prefer the Flying Swallow and a mid kick CB set up. 3H+K or 4PK is very useless compared to vanilia. If they could patch like the vanilia version would be very great. I am asking myself why not including all these stuff to Arcade again but Ithat would be a dream. Its possible to include the GB from vanillia to AE again but dont expect too much....

Lmao if flying swallow is added with guard break and you can do it 4x like in NG i would be spamming that 24/7

Nameless Sama

Lmao if flying swallow is added with guard break and you can do it 4x like in NG i would be spamming that 24/7

This would be a nice dream Gary but I notice now how it would be looks like because he cant do that on the ground. Ryu needs a move to jump in the air to perform the Flying Swallow like he does in NG ( Attack + Jump button ) .

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
This would be a nice dream Gary but I notice now how it would be looks like because he cant do that on the ground. Ryu needs a move to jump in the air to perform the Flying Swallow like he does in NG ( Attack + Jump button ) .

Windpath jump to a flying swallow

Or maybe 8T then you have to do an input

Nameless Sama

Windpath jump to a flying swallow

Or maybe 8T then you have to do an input

Yeah I had the same Idea with 8T. Hmm a little quick forward salto would be better becuase 8T is a little to slow and have a mid - huge range.

BTW Gary this discussion reminds me my time in NG3. You know the combo square,square,square,triangle,square,square,square,triangle Izuna combo with 3 FS? I just imagine The opponent would be fucked in the air in DOA with 3 Flying Swallows + a Izuna. For example :236::P+K::P::P::P::P::P::4862::F: or
:426::F: :+: :5: :426::F: ( one flying swallow hit ) :+: :624: :F: ( 2. FS) :+::426: :F: ( 3., FS) :+: :4862::F: ( Izuna)
Ah sorry Gary this is only my dream and fantasy which I shared with you. Sorry.......

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Hopefully this like is just not a like for the sake of giving a like lol ^.^
2n2c2g.png

TakedaZX

I can't believe some of what I'm reading. A 17i hit throw not withing a stance? +10 on 66K (for what?!), 4P2P and 1K frame advantage? You guys are pushing hard.

But, here's my list.
  • KK/33PK - 0 on block again
    • (Both incredibly slow guard breaks which are also high)
  • 66K - Launch at max threshold (4K height) and also +6 on block
    • (This idea was made before finding out 4H+K gives a solid launch and juggle at max threshold now. This kick was in turn supposed to give Ryu a solid mix-up at high threshold between his launchers at critical level 3 so that he could get a good drain on the opponent's health. I'll leave it but it doesn't seem necessary anymore)
  • 6P+K4 and PP6P4/Ong 6P4/33P4 - +0/+1 on block
    • Was solid in Vanilla
  • DOA4 3KK - Give back this move and change the animation for 33KK. Safety of (-6) on block.
    • This isn't a factor of balance as much as a factor of appearances. This move should be considered to return, even if only the animation of 3KK is changed).
  • 3H+K/4PK/PP4PK - +3 on block (Drop 1st Kick)
    • Basically, doing this would keep the animation but strip the 1st kick out so that the move wouldn't be stupid. I think this is fair.
  • 2H+KKP/2H+KKK - Return of his old DOA4 strings.
    • This is a change to upgrade his lows in a way. First of all the mid crush property is already confirmed. Next would be 2H+K functioning how it did in DOA4 yet slightly changed. On NH, it gave the regular stagger stun. In this one I propose a 1 leg sweep. Basically whatever leg is forward for the opponent will be swept out of place forcing the opponent to drop to one knee. This stun isn't meant to do anything but make 2H+KK chain. The move will not 2 in 1 on NH.
    • On CH+, the move should work as it did in DOA4 with DOA5's trip stun policies. Basically, 2H+K will trip stun on CH+ and in stun at no matter what range, allowing Ryu to use it as a 2 in 1 launcher. There will be no special juggles beyond what's in the strings.
    • Last but not least, for HCH and Max Threshold, If managable, 2H+KK should launch high enough to air throw.
  • Ongyoin 2K - Change to 1K animation and allow it to loop back into itself (NH light stun)
    • Sensible trade off for Ong 2K
  • Ongyoin 4K/H+K - Basically, I see this as a place for 236K from DOA4 to come back in. The move will crumple stun for this rendition. It was originally 17i. It should be unsafe.
  • 46H - Give camera angles of Ongyoin T
    • My opinion.
  • Drop WR H+K, 33K/Running K
    • Useless moves since day one.
These are just ideas but I'm mad tired. Any questions, just ask.

Brute

Standard Donor
A 17i hit throw not withing a stance?
Tina has a hit throw from a 14 frame non-stance move and one from an 18 frame kick. Not seeing how this is absurd.

+10 on 66K (for what?!),
For being stuck in the hell that is ongyoin where all your options are hella slow AND risky?
Granted I think +10 is a little much and would be happy with +6, but it's not crazy, really. Not when you consider your 12/15/5000 hit speeds from the stance at neutral.

4P2P and 1K frame advantage?
4P2P was +16 on NH in DOA4.
Not sure about 1K, but it's more deserving than 4P2P.
So again, not really material that should put you into disbelief.

3H+K/4PK/PP4PK- +3 on block (Drop 1st Kick)Basically, doing this would keep the animation but strip the 1st kick out so that the move wouldn't be stupid. I think this is fair.
Good call. +7 was a bit much, but anything below +2 nsn't respected at all by the speedsters. Personally, I'd say +4, but I could live with +3.

2H+KKP/2H+KKK - Return of his old DOA4 strings.First of all the mid crush property is already confirmed.
No, it's not. Translate patchlist is very vague, and alludes to a "hurtbox" alteration. But Momiji's says the same thing. That could mean a variety of things. It doesn't confirm any mid crush properties. That is just speculation.

Ongyoin 2K - Change to 1K animation and allow it to loop back into itself (NH light stun)
Before you said advantage off of 1K NH was one of the things you "couldn't believe you were reading."
I can't believe some of what I'm reading. [...] 1K frame advantage? You guys are pushing hard.
Anyway...

46H - Give camera angles of Ongyoin T
Those cams can be disorienting. I personally like the flat cam.

Drop WR H+K, 33K/Running KUseless moves since day one.
WR H+K is not useless...

Last edited:

Nameless Sama

Takeda WR H + K is of his useful moves ever. You need to know how you use it. In general none of Ryus Moves are useless . I thought 1 K is useless but after watching Master vs Master video I changed my mind. The point is , I will practice like MASTER and give a fuck for nerf or buff just keep doing :p Say we Ryu will be totaly get nerfed in AE I will still play with him becuase of the Izuna Drops and HE IS MY MAIN since DOA 2 hardcore.

MASTER suprises me every time. I am always happy when I see him playing or upload a video. Sorry Brothers but master vs master video has flashed me so badly. If you can master Ryu he will be like the best trololo character :p

TakedaZX

Tina has a hit throw from a 14 frame non-stance move and one from an 18 frame kick. Not seeing how this is absurd.
An 18i [LOW] kick? Also it's more so about what makes Hayabusa need this over his regular Ongyoin throw? Give him the proper advantage and the proper tools to demand respect and +6 will be more than sufficient.

For being stuck in the hell that is ongyoin where all your options are hella slow AND risky?
Granted I think +10 is a little much and would be happy with +6, but it's not crazy, really. Not when you consider your 12/15/5000 hit speeds from the stance at neutral.
At +6, Ongyoin is demanding the respect it needs too (ESPECIALLY with the addition of an Ongyoin 4P or/and 4K/4H+K/H+K, (both of which would stun and be relatively quick).

44P is already quick at about 15i? So you have now an 9i tracking MID if this is implemented for Ongyoin. Who's beating a 9i tracking MID? THIS makes +4 reasonable, but frankly I don't think anyone actually likes 44P. Still... this is one option. The other is 236K from DOA4.

In DOA4, 236K clocks in at 17i. At +6? This move is not being beaten. Period, and it could also have the instant or quick crush low property to at least win out at +1.

Since it would stun in this scenario, Ong H+K4, could put him back in. Hoping that it's a deep enough stun, we could also hope that he could launch with Ong K from it or at least extend stun game from it. See what I mean? It has a purpose then.

Assuming 4H+K's combo we talked about as well, I think my 66K launch idea is a bit overkill now at this point. Yea the damage would be humane compared to the Shoho but it'd still make him a little TOO solid (CB!, 66K, Ong K, 6K, Air Throw/JF WR 4KK, a combo that would make @DestructionBomb pick up Ryu for sure c; ). Frankly, I don't want to make 4H+K obsolete as a launcher though, as it would only become useful on heavies probably, (if at all).

4P2P was +16 on NH in DOA4.
Not sure about 1K, but it's more deserving than 4P2P.
So again, not really material that should put you into disbelief.
That's kinda the point Brute. Ryu was STUPID in DOA4 for these unseeable NH lows (among other things).

Too many things stunned in DOA4 and too many things had large stuns in DOA4. 4P2P makes sense at -3 or -4 but not neutral or +. I'd even go as far as -2. It's because 4P6P stuns honestly. If it didn't well then there'd really be no purpose to it and I'd say 4P2P neutral/hard frame advantage (no stun) should be a-go. That's not the case.

4PK backs both of those options as well at +3 and I could stand to see some push back off of 4PP or a guard break with pushback for neutral... or just the push back.

Good call. +7 was a bit much, but anything below +2 nsn't respected at all by the speedsters. Personally, I'd say +4, but I could live with +3.
I'd only say +4 for 9i jabbers but lbr, he does have checks and balances to them from even +2 already. 33P/3P+K completely check them. 2H+K (assuming it doesn't mid crush) Checks them as well for frame advantage). 6P is a 10i mid at that point. 2P is an 11i low. 8P is an 11i high punch launcher. Top it off with respect of the standing AND crouching izuna then you've got a pretty good weapon.

I'll tolerate +4 if 3H+K, 41236T doesn't work without a quick half dash in (excluding the wall). Of course you can duck it but.

No, it's not. Translate patchlist is very vague, and alludes to a "hurtbox" alteration. But Momiji's says the same thing. That could mean a variety of things. It doesn't confirm any mid crush properties. That is just speculation.
Fair point. I thought someone said they DID find out in the LokeTest. Perhaps they did and you haven't heard it yet but I don't have the proof. Assuming it is that change, we both did agree this would change Ryu's lack of a good low. I also think that 33P2K is a little underestimated under the right conditions but I can show you why the next time we play. It's got its faults but there is a use for it on pressure. We'll talk. You free around 3 PM Pacific today?

Before you said advantage off of 1K NH was one of the things you "couldn't believe you were reading."

Anyway...
I won't lie. I did say that. Difference is, this is coming out of the stance. Regardless I was tired and apologize for leaving that. I just wanted to get to sleep. Scrap the frame advantage, leave the low. No one likes the current 2K anyway.

Those cams can be disorienting. I personally like the flat cam.
I don't think it's as serious as you make it. Once you see them, it's clear that you made the cut (the guess). But we can agree to disagree. To me it's more (fighting c; ) entertainment.

WR H+K is not useless...
Yea useless is a stretch but as it is now, it's just all kinds of clunky. Even if it were put as 236H+K, it'd have limited application in juggles. Anything you can do with it, you're probably better off using a different move for. Hell even a wall carry can be done better with WR KP, and WR KP will still pull out more damage if it doesn't catch the wall.

I don't think this move should've appeared in his arsenal at all. I could see Hayate getting something similar like Ayane's PKK/BT H+KK but that's only because he's known for constantly stealing his sister's moves (smh). It be like that sometimes (when you're in the same clan, which Ryu is not).

So the list in general is:
  • KK/33PK - 0 on block again
  • 66K - Launch at max threshold (4K height) and also +6 on block
  • 6P+K4 and PP6P4/Ong 6P4/33P4 - +0/+1 on block
  • DOA4 3KK - Give back this move and change the animation for 33KK. Safety of (-6) on block.
    • This isn't a factor of balance as much as a factor of appearances. This move should be considered to return, even if only the animation of 3KK is changed).
  • 3H+K/4PK/PP4PK - +3 on block (Drop 1st Kick)
  • 2H+KKP/2H+KKK - Return of his old DOA4 strings with an adjustment to the NH stagger so that the WR K actually lands. 2 in 1 on CH+ and also if possible without ruining the string, making 2H+KK launch high enough for an air throw.
  • Ongyoin 2K - Change to 1K animation and allow it to loop back into itself
    • Sensible trade off for Ong 2K
  • Ongyoin 4K/H+K - DOA4 236K, Deep gut stun.
  • 46H - Give camera angles of Ongyoin T
  • WR H+K - change to 236H+K.
  • Scrap 33K/Running 2K/Ongyoin 2K - This move has outlived its life. It wasn't great in the past and it's not good now.
Takeda WR H + K is of his useful moves ever. You need to know how you use it.
Master vs Master was scripted. On top of that, Master only uses WR H+K for styling. It has [limited] application as I just said. It's not solid get in and it's not solid damage.

Last edited:

Tenryuga

I'm not in support of moves intended for whiff punishment and distance crushing being + on block. Give 3H+K safety. Saying you guys are ok with +on block 3H+K is like saying you support Hitomi's 3H+K getting +frames.

EDIT: Nvm. Busa needs a little help so he can have it.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

I'm not in support of moves intended for whiff punishment and distance crushing being + on block. Give 3H+K safety. Saying you guys are ok with +on block 3H+K is like saying you support Hitomi's 3H+K getting +frames.

EDIT: Nvm. Busa needs a little help so he can have it.
Other characters have those types of moves though. Ein has 46K, Hayate has 236K, Rig's 236K guard breaks, etc. I guess that the difference is that 3H+K is a mid, but like you said, Hayabusa needs a little help and is a bit slow.

SilverForte

Hitomis 3 h+k was + frames in the alpha demo funnily enough, but she has the mixup game to makeup for it, Ryu doesn't.

TakedaZX

@SilverForte I brought that subject up with him. Hitomi's is getting tracking +5 frame advantage lows that must be shaken down to -1 which usually isn't done well on reaction. Regardless, 3H+K for someone like Hayate is coming in at 23i. Ryu's 3H+K would come in at 27i most likely with the first kick stripped away. That's not bad. 30i for PP4PK though since it's 3 frames behind.

+3 on get in may be a bit much for raw 3H+K. +1 to +2 could be pretty solid for him.

4PK and PP4PK stay at +3 to +4 though.

Brute

Standard Donor
An 18i [LOW] kick? Also it's more so about what makes Hayabusa need this over his regular Ongyoin throw?
Akira's got a SS low hit throw. Sarah has that ridiculous one from Flamingo (and before you say it's better from a stance, note that Sarah has a billion ways to enter her stance with +frames, if anything making it more deadly). Who says "over" his ongyoin throw?
I don't see it as a necessary thing for Hayabusa, but I don't see it as crazy either.

Give him the proper advantage and the proper tools to demand respect and +6 will be more than sufficient.
At +6, Ongyoin is demanding the respect it needs too (ESPECIALLY with the addition of an Ongyoin 4P or/and 4K/4H+K/H+K, (both of which would stun and be relatively quick).
44P is already quick at about 15i? So you have now an 9i tracking MID if this is implemented for Ongyoin. Who's beating a 9i tracking MID? THIS makes +4 reasonable, but frankly I don't think anyone actually likes 44P. Still... this is one option. The other is 236K from DOA4.
In DOA4, 236K clocks in at 17i. At +6? This move is not being beaten. Period, and it could also have the instant or quick crush low property to at least win out at +1.
I guess, but again all those options are unsafe with no follow-ups, delays, mix-ups etc. meaning that best case scenario you're looking at a 50/50 guess between a strike or throw (block or punch). So again, PP is really gonna remain your go-to option.
And yes, nobody likes 44P.
An instant low crush could work, but if they just gave that property to 6P+K, I don't see it essential to have a new move for just that purpose when an existing one SHOULD already.

That's kinda the point Brute. Ryu was STUPID in DOA4 for these unseeable NH lows (among other things).
Too many things stunned in DOA4 and too many things had large stuns in DOA4. 4P2P makes sense at -3 or -4 but not neutral or +. I'd even go as far as -2. It's because 4P6P stuns honestly. If it didn't well then there'd really be no purpose to it and I'd say 4P2P neutral/hard frame advantage (no stun) should be a-go. That's not the case.
4PK backs both of those options as well at +3 and I could stand to see some push back off of 4PP or a guard break with pushback for neutral... or just the push back.
And even with how dumb he was in DOA4, if you drag-dropped that bastard into DOA5 he still wouldn't be top tier. Other characters stepped and some of their tools are just fucking ridiculous. They make DOA4 Ryu seem like a prissy.
Now, I'm not saying we need DOA4 Ryu back. In fact, I don't want him back. A lot of his shit is dumb. The one thing that may be coming back (mid crush on 2H+K) is dumb. I don't want that (Momiji shouldn't have it ether, btw). Only reason I'm in favor of it is because he doesn't have the shit he should have in the neutral game, and this would be something. Most of your changes aren't deadling much with the neutral game, and THAT'S where Ryu is dumb/struggling in this game. From stun he's having a field day.

Fair point. I thought someone said they DID find out in the LokeTest. Perhaps they did and you haven't heard it yet but I don't have the proof. Assuming it is that change, we both did agree this would change Ryu's lack of a good low. I also think that 33P2K is a little underestimated under the right conditions but I can show you why the next time we play. It's got its faults but there is a use for it on pressure. We'll talk. You free around 3 PM Pacific today?
Actually, no. I've got some things I'm doing with the family this afternoon. =\
In general I don't like the 2H+K / 1PK / 33P2K attack for various reasons. I've explained why on several occasions, but here's the short version:
Brute said:
Well, first of all, advanced players will get good at holding the 2K part of 1P2K, and the 1P is negative on NH. You could use it as a risky 33T bait I suppose, but I don't see it working since they wait for the 2K animation to begin (since it's long and his only option from 1P aside from a cancel).
On NH you get anywhere between +13 to +7 depending on slow escaping. That means that virtually no attacks will connect from it. Your opponent can recover and guard. Any follow-up you have. Theoretically if they didn't SE, you could only connect with highs. This is because 6P, while 13 frames, technically begins active frames on the 14th frame, meaning, it will never connect.
But, this problem becomes even worse because 1P2K creates substantial distance with it's on hit stagger from you and your opponent. Thus, your quick options have limited range, so you want to run up first. That wastes your precious frames (you only have 13 max, and in reality you'll never get all 13 of those). Or, you could do a long range move, but that's slower. Thus, your opponent can use 7K-type attack to knock you out of almost any follow-up you have, since if you run up you're wasting frames they get free from being immobile, since 7Ks are keepouts, and if you do a long range move, you're too slow.
Finally, on CH or from stun, 1P2K has weird, inconsistent properties I can't explain. You may notice that sometimes it trips your opponent for a sit-down trip. Other times, it causes a legit knockdown. At first, I thought this was related to being in open/closed stance. Then I tested it. It's not. It can cause either one from both stances (go try it for yourself if you don't believe me).
Anyway, yes. 2H+K would give him a good low. But it is a stupid one, and one I would rather no one have. I would take one that opens people up for a follow-up (or with less stagger) over a 2H+K that crushes mids.

Yea useless is a stretch but as it is now, it's just all kinds of clunky. Even if it were put as 236H+K, it'd have limited application in juggles. Anything you can do with it, you're probably better off using a different move for. Hell even a wall carry can be done better with WR KP, and WR KP will still pull out more damage if it doesn't catch the wall.
I don't think this move should've appeared in his arsenal at all. I could see Hayate getting something similar like Ayane's PKK/BT H+KK but that's only because he's known for constantly stealing his sister's moves (smh). It be like that sometimes (when you're in the same clan, which Ryu is not).
...in juggles...? You don't use it in juggles, lol. Like 236P it is a long-range tracking move (though its tracking is limited to only a few kicks in the flurry). So if your opponent likes to repeatedly SS at range (which you know they like to against Ryu), you can come in with this. It guarantees a WR 4KP on its bound with all weight classes (except featherweight), usually sending them into a wall/danger zone due to the combined range. If it hits a wall, you get a bounce, and can follow it up with PKK for a wall splat.
You're talking about aesthetics and in that regard I will agree, WR H+K looks stupid. But in terms of gameplay use, Ryu did need it more than Hayate or Ayane, as they have long-range attacks that can deal with tracking.

Master vs Master was scripted. On top of that, Master only uses WR H+K for styling. It has [limited] application as I just said. It's not solid get in and it's not solid damage.
Ryu's moves with "solid get in" are pretty limited. In general he's a high risk, good reward character with one tool for every situation, but only one or two, and is notorious for blanketing like shit. WR H+K is not different.

Last edited:

TakedaZX

@Brute Didn't you say you like single hit powerful characters anyway? 236K could fit pretty well in there. Frankly it could be treated like 6PK (except 6PK is only grappler neutral throw punishable). Lets say that Ong H+K (236K) is -8 on block by default. Crumple stun for now (unshakeable but only +13 on instant hold).

If the opponent blocks the move it is -8 as I said and they can punish it, but if he transitions into Ongyoin, he's back at 0 to -4. This means he can bullshit out of the situation if they like to try and throw punish it. Now you've got them thinking, maybe I shouldn't try to throw this, and if a Hi Counter 2P+K, Bt P+KPP (full charge) for 95 damage isn't enough, then a hi counter shoho will should be. (100 damage). This will get them to whack buttons or chill rather than 100% throw punish the whole time.

Helps out with the stun situation too. Going into the transition can loosen him up by however many frames are gained. (with neutral, +13 turns into +2). It's a very possible set up for this move man. I think we could honestly make it work.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD