DOA5U - Akira Thread (Combo Challenge, Changes, Combos)

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So, now that some time has passed, I'm curious to see everyone's strategy with Akira. Here are a few new notes of how I've changed my play style:

1. I've laid off of using :1::6::H+P: a lot. The times I do, I'll do :1::6::H+P::h::h::3::3::P+K:. It's enough of a delay that it'll catch a SS, an early counter, and a low counter. I'll mainly use :4::6::H+P:.
2. Against fast striking opponents who keep canceling strings and initiating another i'll use :6::6::P: to try to interrupt their next strike. It's guess work that they'll cancel on that input, rather than continue the string or block.
3. I find myself not going for CB combos as frequently. I'll go for something that makes the opponent leave their feet and go for combos that take 80 or 90 points of damage at a clip. If I can tie it into a danger zone, it'll be 100+. I find the best way to "travel" the length of the stage to get them to the danger is with :6::6::P+K::P:, :4::3::P:, :2::P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:.
4. After the opponent completes an unsafe string, I'll do the GBoD. I'm still working on this to know when such strings are attempted.
5. With the bullshit recovery frames on block from :P:, it gives the opponent too much time to start mashing prior to :6::P+K: to follow up. :6::P+K: needs to be used when running at the opponent or when they finish an unsafe string.
6. I'm not throwing out naked :214::P: anymore. Again, the bullshit recovery frames. I'm at a loss to why they increased Akira's, yet other characters keep their frame trap recovery frames.
7. I use :2::P: only on slippery surfaces or counter hit opportunities. The only other time is if I want to make sure the opponent is blocking and follow it up with a GBoD.

This is quite similar to my strategy of games with a few extra differences.

1) I've been using :P+K::4::3::H+P::6::P: (SPoD) more often in this one for damage and FT right after to go for either a grab, :6::P+K:, SS:K:, GBoD or repeat the SPoD for aggressiveness. What I do is been playing a natural game, stun game and for baits on strings. For example I close in for a bit and distance myself while keeping on the watch for attacks, most of the time I time SPoDs into them while they are coming, however for effectiveness I study other characters and incoming attacks for me to even try this. Other setups I use involving SPoD is stuff like SS:K: for the stun (Chances are there will be holds coming after SS:K:). Then for the short pause SPoD. (or GBoD if they are holding block.) None of my methods are 100% but basically what I've been doing and it's doing alright with me so far as long as it isn't too obvious. I don't normally repeat SPoD after SS:K: so a change is a must in my belief.

2) I kinda went slightly back to the old method of :6::K::P: since most people let go block and don't usually block the :P: which is quite odd. From alot of matches I played even if they block the full thing they usually don't see the next one coming like :6::6::P: but alas that's what I've experienced.

3) I still use :H*+K: from time to time for launch, Normally I do less CB on this and change between :3::3::P: & :H*+K: to lower my chances of my launch being countered.

4) I've been mixing things around with :6::P+K: alot on guardbreak.

:6::P+K:, :6::6::P:, SS:K:
:6::P+K:,:6::6::P:, SPoD
:6::P+K:,:6::6::P:, :H*+K:
:6::P+K:, :6::6::P:, :3::H+K::P:SS, :H*+K:/GBoD/etc.

5) SS:P:/SS:P+K:

Things I'm on the verge of learning:

As of right now I'm trying to practice doing GBoD on the 2nd player side since I want to make sure I'm on strong potential on either side. Whenever I'm on the right side I keep thinking the execution is the same exact as on 1st player side, I seriously need to avoid that lol also the buffer in the game is a bit terrible, and the thing that annoys me is the huge delay from mixing P with guard breaks.

Last edited:

Ghosty-J

Whenever I use the :6::P+K: guardbreak, I can never be able to follow up with :6::6::P: without it being blocked. Which is why I prefer to got for the :6_::P:,:4::3::P: followup most of the time. I have this bad habit of throwing out a plain :P: whenever I guardbreak causing my strike to whiff. It's a bad habit of mine I need to work on.

As a VF5 Final Showdown player to the very core, I find it increasingly difficult to break the habit of using :2::P: a lot since the stun on that move has been nerfed tremendously enough to break my pressure game. I've come to realize my opponents block after this about 80% of the time, So I could go for a GBOD or initiate a stun with :2::K: which gives me just enough time to lead into a :6::6::P: to start a combo.

I never used :1::6::H+P: a lot since I knew how much it sucked in the source, so breaking this habit was more than easy enough for me. I just wish there were more guaranteed options for :4::H+P:, but beggers can't be choosers I suppose.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Whenever I use the :6::P+K: guardbreak, I can never be able to follow up with :6::6::P: without it being blocked. Which is why I prefer to got for the :6_::P:,:4::3::P: followup most of the time. I have this bad habit of throwing out a plain :P: whenever I guardbreak causing my strike to whiff. It's a bad habit of mine I need to work on.

As a VF5 Final Showdown player to the very core, I find it increasingly difficult to break the habit of using :2::P: a lot since the stun on that move has been nerfed tremendously enough to break my pressure game. I've come to realize my opponents block after this about 80% of the time, So I could go for a GBOD or initiate a stun with :2::K: which gives me just enough time to lead into a :6::6::P: to start a combo.

I never used :1::6::H+P: a lot since I knew how much it sucked in the source, so breaking this habit was more than easy enough for me. I just wish there were more guaranteed options for :4::H+P:, but beggers can't be choosers I suppose.

:eek:Wait that's weird. Normally that wouldn't be blocked unless it's :6::6::6::P: (I need some correction for sure but I swear :6::6::P: can't be blocked after :6::P+K:) And totally feel you there Ghosty, I can't think of the amount of times :2::P: saved me from tight spots...especially mixed well with :6::6::P: right after it. Plus the old wall splat :6::6::P: use to had.

I used :1::6::H+P: a lot so the habit of doing it was strong yet I already knew it was nerfed :oops:. Both the old :2::P: & :1::6::H+P: was such great things that I couldn't release the thought of doing them. I no longer use the grab but there were moments I thought of doing it lol.

Ghosty-J

Another thing I forgot to point out. A :2::P: during Critical Stun can cause a stun long enough to followup with :2_::4::6::P: at the very least. Which means wall splats-a-plenty~! It's the only move I found that actually works, so I'm looking for ways to incorporate it into my strategy.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Another thing I forgot to point out. A :2::P: during Critical Stun can cause a stun long enough to followup with :2_::4::6::P: at the very least. Which means wall splats-a-plenty~! It's the only move I found that actually works, so I'm looking for ways to incorporate it into my strategy.

I never tried that, Will definitely try though. Yuush!

kunio-kun

That instant palm on last combo is pretty tight on timing. I had to look at fingers to make sure my thumb wasn't sliding in useless directions from trying to go so fast after the last jf knee. I used :4::6::3::P: and it had to be perfect and fast, or it was Not coming out after last kick. Could not have any other inputs when move came out came out for me. There's also a split second pause after last knee that you need i think. Difference between you hitting the instant palm, and them hitting the floor is a tight small window.
This works well but I found it didn't buffer off the knee, which meant every time it did come out, it was just that little bit too slow to connect. I watched the video posted in this thread and another one on Youtube. Both were 360 version. I noticed both of them used something similar to 2 quarter circle back motions before forward and punch. In VF you can do double palm off a :1: :1: or :3: :3: dash, but DOA has no crouch dash, so it seems a double tap is redundant since a :1: :4: :6: :P: works. But it won't come out after the knee. After watching the video in slow motion, I decided to try it this way. :2: :1: :4: :2: :1: :4: :6: :P: . Must be input just after the animation comes out for the last knee, but before Akira's kneeing foot hits the ground. Try doing 2 knees in a row, and on the second one, input :2: :1: :4: :2: :4: :1: :6: :P: . It buffers perfectly, the input finished before the knee animation, and the double palm fires off right afterward. I practiced that once or twice and got the featherweight challenge done within 5 minutes.

Puño de Leyenda

Greetings all, this Akira-subforum is awesome!-There's alot of really nice resources here! :)

Also, this may not be the place to ask, but I was wondering if there was any info on Akira character match-ups in DOA5U?(Especially against the ninjas and La Mariposa/Lisa...) I did notice a thread on here from 10/2012, but I didn't wanna necro that to ask. lol

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So I found a few cool things. Not sure if it's old.

after :6::4::H+P: you can slightly dash a bit to perform :2::H+K::P: and can immediately time :2::P: > :2::4_::6_::P: to it without the use of a wall. or :2::P:>:4::6::6::P+K:. Lightweights and Middle weights of course.

After :6::4::H+P: you can literally tech them back up with :4::P::P+K:. In training mode the computer can get up no problems. However I tried it online with Galen & Code and they said they couldn't escape from it at all. Try it with somebody and the computer and see the difference. (Which is kinda odd so mostly likely the delay time from online mode compared to offline.)

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
So I found a few cool things. Not sure if it's old.

after :6::4::H+P: you can slightly dash a bit to perform :2::H+K::P: and can immediately time :2::P: > :2::4_::6_::P: to it without the use of a wall. or :2::P:>:4::6::6::P+K:. Lightweights and Middle weights of course.

After :6::4::H+P: you can literally tech them back up with :4::P::P+K:. In training mode the computer can get up no problems. However I tried it online with Galen & Code and they said they couldn't escape from it at all. Try it with somebody and the computer and see the difference. (Which is kinda odd so mostly likely the delay time from online mode compared to offline.)
Another force tech that I've been using is, :4::6::P:, :214::P:. It's a great set up for the GBoD.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I use that if I want them to stumble closer to a dangerzone and follow it up with :6::6::6::P:, :P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:.

Another option is to dash in and GBoD.

Gotcha. I also notice is that it varies between open stance and closed..one of them makes the opponent more distant while the other stance makes the opponent closer a bit. Any effects to either one that might hinder Akira?

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Gotcha. I also notice is that it varies between open stance and closed..one of them makes the opponent more distant while the other stance makes the opponent closer a bit. Any effects to either one that might hinder Akira?
If you share the same stance, they short stumble. If you're opposite, they stumble far. :6::6::6::P: is guaranteed on both stumbles on the fastest slow escape if you input it fast enough. For the GBoD, a simple dash of :6::6: will put you in range of either stumble distance; however, nobody fucking blocks online.

WARNING, WARNING, INCOMING RANT:
The past week in ranked, I'm so freakin tired of the people who will random counter and instead of blocking out of it when they miss, they fucking mash out of it. Then, we have Akira's moves that have extended recovery frames that when the opponent low counters, and I whiff, I'm at the disadvantage. So much for the 10 extra frames they added on recovery of a whiffed low counter. Why do you ask? Because my whiff has 10 extra frames added to them for no freakin reason!
RANT HAS VANISHED!

I'm sorry, I just blacked out for about 30 seconds, what happened?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
If you share the same stance, they short stumble. If you're opposite, they stumble far. :6::6::6::P: is guaranteed on both stumbles on the fastest slow escape if you input it fast enough. For the GBoD, a simple dash of :6::6: will put you in range of either stumble distance; however, nobody fucking blocks online.

WARNING, WARNING, INCOMING RANT:
The past week in ranked, I'm so freakin tired of the people who will random counter and instead of blocking out of it when they miss, they fucking mash out of it. Then, we have Akira's moves that have extended recovery frames that when the opponent low counters, and I whiff, I'm at the disadvantage. So much for the 10 extra frames they added on recovery of a whiffed low counter. Why do you ask? Because my whiff has 10 extra frames added to them for no freakin reason!
RANT HAS VANISHED!

I'm sorry, I just blacked out for about 30 seconds, what happened?

Totally understand lol, I was talking about his extended recovery frames on the update news comment with the rachel and alpha nerf. Those bad recovery frames cost me the match so many times. 66P on block etc.

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
Down to my last 5 combo challenges and they are all Akira's (surprise!)

After looking at them, I think that the hardest one for me will be the...

:6::4::F::2::H+K::P::2_::4::6::P:

combo. I see alot of people in this thread having difficulty with it and I have a question about buffering the :2_::4::6::P:.

Am I wanting to buffer the :2_::4::6::P: so that I am entering :6::P: first frame after the recovery of the :2::H+K::P: string or do I have to actually pause for a moment for Akira to go into full crouch?

Akira is a cool character and likes to see me some Akira beasting on foos!

Thanks! :akira:

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Down to my last 5 combo challenges and they are all Akira's (surprise!)

After looking at them, I think that the hardest one for me will be the...

:6::4::F::2::H+K::P::2_::4::6::P:

combo. I see alot of people in this thread having difficulty with it and I have a question about buffering the :2_::4::6::P:.

Am I wanting to buffer the :2_::4::6::P: so that I am entering :6::P: first frame after the recovery of the :2::H+K::P: string or do I have to actually pause for a moment for Akira to go into full crouch?

Akira is a cool character and likes to see me some Akira beasting on foos!

Thanks! :akira:
You can't buffer it because Akira actually has to crouch. It's a while rising move. The way I time it is by watching his hand on the :P:. Once it starts pulling back into his body, input :3::4::6::P:. You won't even see him crouch, but it's like a 1 or 2 frame crouch that enables the execution.

View the frame data as well when you do :2::H+K::P::h:. It shows you his recovery frames. You have to time :3::4::6::P: right when he finishes his recovery.

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
Hey, thanks for the quick response Bass. Do I just do the 346+p as fast as possible after recovery? Also, would the 463+p shortcut work just the same. I'll also check out the frame data.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD