DOA5U Pai Changes

Codemaster92163

Here is the (constantly updated) list of changes made to Pai in DOA5U.

:P::P::P::7::K: and :3::P::P::P::7::K: now have the same blowback properties as :P::P::K::K:, but they cannot wall-splat.

:h::+::K: now has a stun that can be followed up with other hits (a high stun that leaves you in BT). It used to stun them, but not long enough for any follow up. The new stun is shakeable, but so large that every move from BT (even :4::P:) will hit on fastest SE. It also cannot be instantly countered out of, so it's a welcome addition.

Pai has regained an old move, :3::3::P::K: . It is a mid punch, mid kick knockdown attack, which is a natural combo after the punch lands and can hit close to the ground, similar to Helena's :3::3::P::4::P: It is moderately useful when wishing to end a combo and hit the opponent into the wall.

:6::6::H+K: has a longer recovery, but is still only -5 on block. This nerf has left some of her old combos unusable, such as hitting a BT opponent with it and using :2::P::P::6::P: > :P::K: or :9::K::K:. In addition, it counts as a bound if the second hit exceeds the max threshold, which is the only time the :2::P: strings will connect. The bound is technically a buff, though there's not many situations where you'll be wanting to use it.

:P+K: now has a bound property if used twice in a row or at the end of the stun threshold. The bound is relatively useless, as there are better launchers to take its place, and the combo after it is shaky at best.

:4::4::P: its stun now has a shorter duration, which means it can no longer link into :4::P+K::P: unless the opponent tries to counter.

MS :P: now has a bound effect if the second hit exceeds the max threshold (though not the first hit), allowing you to follow up with :H+K: and a small juggle. It's a welcome change since it used to hit them straight into the ground, negating any extra damage.

The second kick in :K::K: is now a bound if the first kick misses. This is a pretty worthless bound, though.

Buffering is now more strict - :P: > :P: > :P: has become more difficult, and inputting moves after ones with long recovery can sometime lead to no move coming out at all.

Moves such as :1::H+K: that could crush highs and mids back in 5 now enter the complete crouch sooner. This applies to other moves like WR :4::P: and MS :K:

Damage now scales properly after launching an opponent by hitting their back after a Critical Burst. It used to drop to 40% on every hit type (N, CH, and HCH), but it now scales the same as it would had you hit their front. This makes her MS :P::9::P+K::P: launch combo nearly as powerful as her :3::3::P+K: launch combo, as it should be.

:6::4::P: is now -1 on block, down from +1

Somewhere, her damage was reduced. Doing a CB combo in 5 and replicating it exactly in 5U on HCH, 5 points of damage were lost in translation. It's minimal, but still a change.

Last edited:

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
:3::3::P::K: was an old move she had from VF3 to VF5 (original command was :6::6::P::K:). I don't know why it was taken out in VF5 Final Showdown.

Codemaster92163

Message from Allan Paris concerning Pai. Seems to be good news (: I'll update this thread as soon as I get home tomorrow (driving to VA from OH, should have the game at about 6 PM EST, and will instantly take Pai into training to tell you everything I can.

"Pai is still fun and since the move has improved in 5u she doesn't feel like she's in quick sand anymore.
As if now I'm just doing basic stuff with her. She can FT still, so her pressure is still great on wake up. They made he BT k that launches 1frame slower. But it's still guaranteed after landing 66h+k
I haven't noticed any major changes for or against her. I've been some of everyone so I haven't spent too much time with her but on the surface she is still the same."

synce

Doing some training with her I noticed no real differences other than addition of 33PK and removal of guaranteed FT from juggles, but AFAIK that's a universal nerf. Seems like a boring update for Pai but I didn't mess around too much

Codemaster92163

So, Pai's 66H+K was nerfed. It has the same amount of - frames on block, but it has a longer recovery, so certain combos (like hitting their back with 66H+K then using 2PP6P 9KK) no longer work. Also, it may just be me, but her buffering seems A LOT stricter now than it ever has before, but I don't know if that's universal or what.

Another thing has anyone been able to complete Pai's combo challenges? The 2nd juggle from level 3, and the basic move from level 5 just won't connect.

HoodsXx

Pai still plays the same. Only reason P+K ain't great right now is because her 46H+K ain't a restand like its supposed to be which ticks me off. On the + side she got safer in some of her strings so rejoice for that everyone. :)

HoodsXx

Yes. Do you remember the one of the 5U videos TN gave us of Jacky vs Akira Code, where he was juggling Akira and her used (forget the notation atm) a kick where it looks like Akira was kind of almost of the ground and then re-stood up in an awkward position? That's called a re-stand (VF Terminology). Pai has that as well with her 46H+K I'll post a combo video of her stuff from VF And you'll see it.

Codemaster92163

What does a restand do that's not provided by the bound it currently gives us? I see what it looks like now, but I don't see how it would help us more.

HoodsXx

It would lengthen Pai's juggles during some setups as it'd give her more breathing room and help her wall carry easier.

HoodsXx

Cause if you notice she's able to bound after the re-stand but in 5U
When she does 46H+K in a juggle. She can usually only go for 64P P 9K 6PK4K etc. But if she could use her re-stand 46H+K. She could do something like this 33P+K PHPH46H+K P+K 6H+K PPKK. Stuff like that.

Codemaster92163

That would be incredibly powerful, then xD I could do without the restand. All I really want back is the original (or even 1.03) 66H+K xD

Codemaster92163

Also, I have what appears to be good news. It may NOT be the case, but from what I've seen in training/online, her high/mid crushes (like WR :4::P: and :1::H+K:) seem to have more frames in which they're ducking mids.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD