Community Does the DOA community agree on anything?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The DOA community confuses me sometimes. I'm a part of the Smash community and what I see there is completely different from what I see here. Don't get me wrong, some people know what they are talking about most of the time, and they already know who they are, but generally people do not know what the fuck they are talking about, and they know it so that's why conversation can lack anywhere.

I think where things get hilarious is in the competitive Facebook group. I suppose it's easy for a top player to make remarks that either throw the community off or don't make sense. Like the great Lopedo saying that Phase 4 sucks a day after she comes out. Now, I never thought this; but the community sure did grow a few ideas as to why she sucked, and the easiest rip being "she's soo unsafe."

Kwiggle, who I believe is the most legitimate player in the game today floors all of those thoughts a year later. Like Bladez shutting down people that said Eliot sucks. Some people still think he sucks despite the skill he has displayed with the character.

On the Smash Boards people all generally agreed that Diddy Kong was OP, and he was. Here we could talk about how OP Christie is and there will be some that say she's completely legit despite winning most of the matchups against most of the characters.

Do we agree on anything here? Do Tier lists matter for DOA? Do mind games matter more? Is Christie OP? Should Alpha be banned?

I thought that Team Best was a good idea because you could advice from people that actually sit down and use there characters. A lot of what I hear is from people that think things but don't know, or people that talk down on a new character as soon as they come out and before you know it every new character we ever get is low tier...

WAZAAAAA

oh that's easy I know something everyone can agree with:
RtEtwjp7_6gB.jpg

Ryu Hayabusa is the baddest. And I don't even main him.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Let's just say, people in the DOA community usually just listen to top players because they're top players. So basically, you could be good at DOA and be an online warrior (we all have to start), but your opinion, tech sharing, or advice won't seem to matter unless you go offline and place in a tournament. Members can get blackballed just because they go against a top player, even if said top player has a shitty attitude and an ego that needs to be put in check.

Lulu

Let's just say, people in the DOA community usually just listen to top players because they're top players. So basically, you could be good at DOA and be an online warrior (we all have to start), but your opinion, tech sharing, or advice won't seem to matter unless you go offline and place in a tournament. Members can get blackballed just because they go against a top player, even if said top player has a shitty attitude and an ego that needs to be put in check.

Some people can be total dicks. :(

splslick

The DOA community confuses me sometimes. I'm a part of the Smash community and what I see there is completely different from what I see here. Don't get me wrong, some people know what they are talking about most of the time, and they already know who they are, but generally people do not know what the fuck they are talking about, and they know it so that's why conversation can lack anywhere.

I think where things get hilarious is in the competitive Facebook group. I suppose it's easy for a top player to make remarks that either throw the community off or don't make sense. Like the great Lopedo saying that Phase 4 sucks a day after she comes out. Now, I never thought this; but the community sure did grow a few ideas as to why she sucked, and the easiest rip being "she's soo unsafe."

Kwiggle, who I believe is the most legitimate player in the game today floors all of those thoughts a year later. Like Bladez shutting down people that said Eliot sucks. Some people still think he sucks despite the skill he has displayed with the character.

On the Smash Boards people all generally agreed that Diddy Kong was OP, and he was. Here we could talk about how OP Christie is and there will be some that say she's completely legit despite winning most of the matchups against most of the characters.

Do we agree on anything here? Do Tier lists matter for DOA? Do mind games matter more? Is Christie OP? Should Alpha be banned?

I thought that Team Best was a good idea because you could advice from people that actually sit down and use there characters. A lot of what I hear is from people that think things but don't know, or people that talk down on a new character as soon as they come out and before you know it every new character we ever get is low tier...
Well I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the facebook group is cancer. Most of the time I go there, I don't see tech being shared or people are engaged in a topic that ends up going off topic. I try to stay away from it as often as I can unless I'm trying to communicate with someone. I do think that people need to explore all the options in the game so that they can be more informed when it comes to saying that a character is bad.

Lulu

Well I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the facebook group is cancer. Most of the time I go there, I don't see tech being shared or people are engaged in a topic that ends up going off topic. I try to stay away from it as often as I can unless I'm trying to communicate with someone. I do think that people need to explore all the options in the game so that they can be more informed when it comes to saying that a character is bad.

Damn.... people still do that ? I don't get the mentality behind keeping Tech secret.

Edit: I also deleted my Facebook account. Gona try and get rid of my twitter too one day. :p I just don't use them.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I don't get the mentality behind keeping Tech secret.
Well, the reason why people don't share all of their discoveries is due to the fact that some of the players will end up complaining about it (ex: Calling it OP) and call to Team Ninja for that specific character to be nerfed. Heck, I admit that I don't share some of my discoveries because of people like that being in this community lol

Lulu

Well, the reason why people don't share all of their discoveries is due to the fact that some of the players will end up complaining about it (ex: Calling it OP) and call to Team Ninja for that specific character to be nerfed. Heck, I admit that I don't share some of my discoveries because of people like that being in this community lol

LoL.... damn. And I thought I've seen it all. Thats a new low. Although I asked for Phase 4 to be nerfed once.... specifically her :236::F:..... its fine for Kasumi but not for Phase 4.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
You're just a serial victim.

I'm not a top player, though I do place decently at tournaments, however when I choose to speak most choose to listen. I'm a fan of staying behind the scenes of late for a variety of mostly personal reasons, but it's still possible to make an impact without having a bunch of tournament wins. The man who runs this site also doesn't go around cleaning up at tournaments but is likely the most influential person in the community in many ways. Hell, there have been people who went two and out in tournaments and still got face time and meetings with Team NINJA staff.

Now to flip this around a bit, I know of several players that have never attended a tournament and that don't even really play online putting in some feedback that is heard directly. Members of this site have also influenced the site direction on occasion and routinely help Mr. Wah with reporting bugs and the staff in general with helping tip us off about problems that need addressing. Many things the community brings up get brought to TN as well.

I do have one ask of you, though: name me one member of the site who has been "blackballed" for going against a top player. Better yet, point out these tournament players shooting down online-only players tech or feedback. I'll sit here waiting. The only people who can actually shut down content on this site are those on the staff, but I'm confident that nobody else is outright dismissing legitimate posts, either.

You're fabricating bullshit to keep yourself in this weird little box. You're the only one here that can choose to leave it. Nobody else is stopping you. But you are being annoying as hell.

Now, on topic, let's see how many in the community agree with my post. I'm guessing more than a few, proving that we really can agree on something. :)

Lulu

You're just a serial victim.

I'm not a top player, though I do place decently at tournaments, however when I choose to speak most choose to listen. I'm a fan of staying behind the scenes of late for a variety of mostly personal reasons, but it's still possible to make an impact without having a bunch of tournament wins. The man who runs this site also doesn't go around cleaning up at tournaments but is likely the most influential person in the community in many ways. Hell, there have been people who went two and out in tournaments and still got face time and meetings with Team NINJA staff.

Now to flip this around a bit, I know of several players that have never attended a tournament and that don't even really play online putting in some feedback that is heard directly. Members of this site have also influenced the site direction on occasion and routinely help Mr. Wah with reporting bugs and the staff in general with helping tip us off about problems that need addressing. Many things the community brings up get brought to TN as well.

I do have one ask of you, though: name me one member of the site who has been "blackballed" for going against a top player. Better yet, point out these tournament players shooting down online-only players tech or feedback. I'll sit here waiting. The only people who can actually shut down content on this site are those on the staff, but I'm confident that nobody else is outright dismissing legitimate posts, either.

You're fabricating bullshit to keep yourself in this weird little box. You're the only one here that can choose to leave it. Nobody else is stopping you. But you are being annoying as hell.

Now, on topic, let's see how many in the community agree with my post. I'm guessing more than a few, proving that we really can agree on something. :)

LoL.... I suppose that is more of a Shoryuken.com type of thing. There is one user that rubs me the wrong way but I don't want to be a taddle tale.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
LoL.... I suppose that is more of a Shoryuken.com type of thing. There is one user that rubs me the wrong way but I don't want to be a taddle tale.
We are definitely not SRK, though I don't mind that community at all myself. I just don't post there much.

We are incredibly open and tolerant of the...let's say 'eccentric' personalities we have here. @Awesmic is a perfect example of a member that occasionally gets on some peoples' nerves, my own included, but thrives here. The fact that he's an excellent player is irrelevant. He contributes when he wants to, posts some truly odd and sometimes infuriating things the rest of the time, and has not been banned or denied the spotlight in any way. We welcome anyone that loves Dead or Alive or just wants a place to hang out, but I'm not going to stand by and listen to members say they are being persecuted for any reason. I will ban people instantly for attacking another member unless it's myself or someone with similarly thick skin. But I won't ban someone for speaking their mind and being constructive ever.

Last edited:

Chapstick

The person you're not so indirectly referring to liked some tech I shared isn't that weird :confused:

If the opinion you're talking about is Ayane not being top 5 it's because that opinion is wrong. You were told in a very long post part of why it's wrong by someone who knows that character inside out but you put your fingers in your ears and continued insisting you were right giving no explanation why.
LoL.... damn. And I thought I've seen it all. Thats a new low. Although I asked for Phase 4 to be nerfed once.... specifically her :236::F:..... its fine for Kasumi but not for Phase 4.
Why

Fun fact I found a while ago while messing around a Helena BnB from BKO T on hiC does the same damage as Phase's BnB from 236T on hiC

KING JAIMY

To be completely honest, lopedo understands the game. Safety is one of the most important factors in the game. If you have nothing safe in the neutral game, you're gonna get nowhere. Sure she has her strengths, but she's nowhere as good as the rest of the characters in the roster.

That's because they're good players in general. They could win with anyone, if they wanted to. It's a matter of a skill discrepancy between the players, not the characters.

Just to remind you, some players (especially Christie mains) tend to downplay Christie because it could make them feel more ''legit'' if they take a win or feel less cheap if they take a win.

I don't think the whole community agree on anything. There can be no such thing as 100% agreement on a particular issue. However, I believe it's safe to say that the majority of the DOA players (including me) can agree on the fact that Christie is OP (or at the very least a solid character) and that Alpha does not need to be banned.

That's because it is in fact true. A lot of the newer characters are in the range of low tier to mid tier. Objectively speaking, they don't have the tools to keep up with other characters since their limitations are so apparent.

Wait, are you saying 5LR Phase is the same as 5U Phase?
Well, she is pretty much the same. The only noteworthy change is the speed change from her fastest mid: i12 --> i11.

Damn.... people still do that ? I don't get the mentality behind keeping Tech secret.
Strongly agreed with this. I am 100% supportive of tech sharing.

Chapstick

Well, she is pretty much the same. The only noteworthy change is the speed change from her fastest mid: i12 --> i11.
Aside from that (which was a great buff), they gave her Kasumi's reset throw and 66K being teleportable on block was huge for her.

KING JAIMY

Aside from that (which was a great buff), they gave her Kasumi's reset throw and 66K being teleportable on block was huge for her.
Oh yeah I forgot about 46T. That's indeed a great pressure tool. 66K being teleportable on block isn't really that game-changing in my opinion because the throw can be fuzzy guarded/ducked and both strike follow-ups are unsafe on block. All in all, I still believe her most important limitation is her unsafety. She struggles really hard against a player with a solid defense.

Lulu

The person you're not so indirectly referring to liked some tech I shared isn't that weird :confused:

If the opinion you're talking about is Ayane not being top 5 it's because that opinion is wrong. You were told in a very long post part of why it's wrong by someone who knows that character inside out but you put your fingers in your ears and continued insisting you were right giving no explanation why.

Why

Fun fact I found a while ago while messing around a Helena BnB from BKO T on hiC does the same damage as Phase's BnB from 236T on hiC

I rarely see that one because I low Hold more often when I face off against Helena so sometimes it misses. I also have the luxury of taking Helena to the Dojo and testing her moves..... I only face off against Phase 4 in Arcade Mode.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD