Feelings about Tag Combos?

Years ago I wasn't a fan of tag. That changed once I actually took the time to learn it.

If a beginner like me can adapt to a situation where I must find the best and quickest way to remove two lifebars with the characters I like (as opposed to one lifebar like a certain other 3D fighter by playing smarter and more defensively), then surely any of you people can. I may win some, and I may lose some, but dad-gummit, as a longtime skeptic of tag, I'm making progress.
It's possible to knock out one of their people so you can stop them from all the spam, but even then I hate putting in so much work when at any moment this could happen :

I don't care what combos look like but when it's blatant spam juggling with combos, that shit is bananas.

..B.A.N.A.N.A.S

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Well, the point is that you learn your own tag team's setups and combos. The game plays very 2D, where you essentially lose the round as soon as you get hit once and make one or two wrong guesses. The difference is that you make those guesses during start of the combo rather than in an okizeme situation.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, though. Just play 100% in neutral. No matter the tools, every character can play the footsies game. Some just have to make harder reads and bigger commitments. Catch a whiff and you win the round.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Tbh, I do like performing tag combos. The point of tag mode is to fight as a unit, which means, combining moves in order to cause massive damage. One thing tag should allow is for people to use force out, even when they're down to one character. Sometimes, I don't want to tag out just to force out.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Yeah, it's pretty awkward. It feels like they just put it in without considering how games would play out.

mpgeist

Standard Donor
I dont play tag, but I wish it was better. I think it would be cool to see it played competitively with two player teams. It would be something unique in FGC...assuming you could get enough people to run a tourney.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Truthfully, I'm just not a fan of it. I'll play it with my bf when we are too salty to play 1 v 1, but seriously you can just repeat the same input string over and over again until they get to the wall and explode. I used to fear tag mode; but now I crush it using Alpha's 3P or P string over and over again with a culmination of my partners extension.

Obviously, I view this mode as a separate game, and that's another thing I don't like. Less environmental fun, and boring long combos that the opponent can do nothing about. You will learn far more if you stick to solo and see tag as a stupid way to kill time, or to have fun with that friend that sucks at fighting games.

werewolfgold

Hmm... Maybe not necessarily cool down (since raw tagging leaves you open anyway), but maybe limit the amount of uses to 2 in one combo or something. I could still see some pretty cool combos coming from that.

And maybe just normalize the physics so people don't have to relearn them going in between solo and tag mode.

FuryFireFalcon

Only real time I play tag is when there's absolutely no one playing solo(on PSN). I do find it annoying though that 8/10 matches someone is using Kasumi/Ayane team. Its kind of boring and often annoying.

Hmm... Maybe not necessarily cool down (since raw tagging leaves you open anyway), but maybe limit the amount of uses to 2 in one combo or something. I could still see some pretty cool combos coming from that.

And maybe just normalize the physics so people don't have to relearn them going in between solo and tag mode.
Yeah, I could hop on board with that.
If tagging in and out were limited to two times or so, that'd be great. I'd have more of a liking and tolerance for them because then people wouldn't be able to depend so heavily on them to win. (Hopefully)

I don't hate tag combos. To tell the truth when TN released that tag combo teaser forever ago I thought it was the coolest thing. They're just being exploited too much in all the wrong ways.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Yeah, I could hop on board with that.
If tagging in and out were limited to two times or so, that'd be great. I'd have more of a liking and tolerance for them because then people wouldn't be able to depend so heavily on them to win. (Hopefully)

I don't hate tag combos. To tell the truth when TN released that tag combo teaser forever ago I thought it was the coolest thing. They're just being exploited too much in all the wrong ways.
From my experience, tag combos are subject to launch height deterioration as the duration of the tag combo increases, which is similar to how damage scaling and stun deterioration works with lengthy combos in today's 2D fighters. Whatever exploits there are are few and far between, and for the most part have been fixed (and will continue to be fixed) as long as they're discovered and addressed through each patch.

From my experience, tag combos are subject to launch height deterioration as the duration of the tag combo increases, which is similar to how damage scaling and stun deterioration works with lengthy combos in today's 2D fighters. Whatever exploits there are are few and far between, and for the most part have been fixed (and will continue to be fixed) as long as they're discovered and addressed through each patch.
Yeah, height decreases but even then that's way too much damage for way too little effort.
I tried this out in Dojo, andI can take about 3/4ths of a life bar out by ;
Starting with Lisa's 6P+K or Hitomi's 8H+K, and alternating between 7KK and 4KK

Not only that, but Rachel has taken out the height decreasing factor with her air grab. Which is why she's so popular in tag.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD