Final Fantasy Thread

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
The opening for KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue // 0.2 Birth By Sleep -A fragmentary passage (they can't be serious with these titles anymore? o__O) is quite pretty:

TornMiniatureAmericanpainthorse.gif
inb4 Kingdom Hearts 2.999999 million, coming soon lol

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Final Fantasy XV is actually closely inspired by the very first FF in story, game world and imagery...

K6B1VDP.jpg

It's sort of a reboot after the XIII triology trainwreck.

Hayabusiness

Closely inspired? Those feel more like convenient coincidences. Four dudes and a prophecy similar to FF's feel simply like some nostalgia grabbing.

The image of the Four Warriors looking at the castle from the other side of the lake is legendary by now, you could remake it with every FF story and it would always feel relevant.

Not bashing on XV here, just that I don't see it and the links feel tacked on aside from "Four Warriors on a journey". There are no elemental fiends, no Garland parallel, maybe Luna could be Sarah?

If the world becomes engulfed in cataclysms maybe I can see it more.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
It's sort of a reboot after the XIII triology trainwreck.
That was the only Final Fantasy I actually liked. Granted the first sequel was pretty lame and I didn't play the second one, but XIII itself was quite enjoyable to me. There are a lot of people out there who want to play Final Fantasy JUST to see the gorgeous cutscenes and have the story play out. I'm one of them. So I quite liked the linear structure and I'm happy that XV culminates in a similar experience. Considering the gameplay isn't a big draw to a big chunk of the gaming populace (just compare RPG numbers to shooters, sports titles, and casual fare like rhythm games or party titles), focusing it isn't a bad thing. I think they realize that and that's why they went with an action-style combat system this time.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
That was the only Final Fantasy I actually liked. Granted the first sequel was pretty lame and I didn't play the second one, but XIII itself was quite enjoyable to me. There are a lot of people out there who want to play Final Fantasy JUST to see the gorgeous cutscenes and have the story play out. I'm one of them. So I quite liked the linear structure and I'm happy that XV culminates in a similar experience. Considering the gameplay isn't a big draw to a big chunk of the gaming populace (just compare RPG numbers to shooters, sports titles, and casual fare like rhythm games or party titles), focusing it isn't a bad thing. I think they realize that and that's why they went with an action-style combat system this time.

I'm sorry to hear that. XD
Jokes aside, I enjoyed XIII at the time too. It was a good game (there's no really bad AAA game) but imo not a good Final Fantasy. It was after XIII-2 released and then Lightning Returns that I and many fans thought: WTF are they doing?! Are they mocking us to drag out the series/universe most FF fans just didn't click with? That fact made me and many others look back in such an unfavorable way at the XIII series. If there would have been just XIII I would have looked back much more favorable on it as some unique, quirky, experimental mainline FF.
Tabata did by the way some backpedaling regarding the linear structure of FFXV in it's latter half. It's not the latter half but towards the end of the second half that the focus will shift from an open world experience to the story. There will be some sort of train ride that brings the characters from location to location and story point to story point. So about 2/3 of the game will still be open, phew! And apparently you will still be able to go back to the open-world parts if you want to.
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/09/tabata-on-final-fantasy-xv-open-world-and-linear-progression/
I can live with a structure like that. It's similar to how Xenoblade Chronicles (the original) did it to give the story more impact and the player more drive to actually finish the game and not drag it out forever with side questing until you completely burn out. (I never finished Skyrim and GTAV for that reason.) After all you could still do that all after the ending. FFXV seems to handle it the same there. After the ending you will be able to uncover even more of the world. :)

Last edited:

Hayabusiness

@Tyaren
That exposition is inside Lucca Comics & Games, which is Italy's most famous (alongside Romics, I think) comic and general nerd things collection. The train ticket is expensive, the ticked for the convention is expensive, and the merch is expensive. Even if it's fun it's not always worth the money ffor me, so I go there only when I can, lol.

As usual, the desert region is the most beautiful.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Closely inspired? Those feel more like convenient coincidences. Four dudes and a prophecy similar to FF's feel simply like some nostalgia grabbing.

The image of the Four Warriors looking at the castle from the other side of the lake is legendary by now, you could remake it with every FF story and it would always feel relevant.

Not bashing on XV here, just that I don't see it and the links feel tacked on aside from "Four Warriors on a journey". There are no elemental fiends, no Garland parallel, maybe Luna could be Sarah?

If the world becomes engulfed in cataclysms maybe I can see it more.
I heard a rumor that there would be four worlds to explore in XV. Is there any truth to that? Will this game actually have people visiting multiple planets?

Hayabusiness

I heard a rumor that there would be four worlds to explore in XV. Is there any truth to that? Will this game actually have people visiting multiple planets?
I did not hear this sort of rumor myself! Mostly rumors about plot events.
Maybe they meant four big regions? It would not be weird for the series standards to make the plot go in space but I doubt it.

Jadeinchains

Well it seems you might be able to play as the other characters If that's what the multiplayer actually is. The weapons are interesting me as well, I wonder If it's like certain enemies are affected more by one or another?

By the way I need these!

2ea902295b378caecf0a820195302690_1920_KR.jpg

71e0f6c971a3698dcc45417dbbd17fd6.jpg

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD