Getting ruined as Brad Wong

Demoth

That Brad knew what he was doing, but the Ayane player seemed to not know what Brad at all.

I know it's a whole different game when you're watching and theory crafting how the loser of the match could have won, but there were so many times that a simple jab would have totally knocked Brad out of what he was doing, as Ayane seemed to just kind of sit there at times and let Brad do some of his slowe moves.

I'm not saying the Ayane player was bad either, but that was pretty much how I try to use Brad, but everyone I fight seems to immediately counter me because they see what move is coming from a mile away.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
After reading your last post, I think I know what your problem is. You need to:
tumblr_l8tq17T4H01qcqph3o1_500.jpg

Demoth

After reading your last post, I think I know what your problem is. You need to:
tumblr_l8tq17T4H01qcqph3o1_500.jpg

That is 100% truth.

The tournament I was basically butt-mangled in ruined a lot of my confidence in Brad Wong. Not only did everyone who used him seem to get blown up, but I have been playing Brad for 7+ years and NEVER experienced getting man-handled that badly in a tournament.

My brother mains Ryu, but he uses Brad a lot and he managed to get sorta far as Brad, but he was noticing a lot of people he fought were completely unfamiliar with Brad.

He then went up against a Hayate (the same player who used Ayane to decimate me out of he loser's bracket), and the Hayate never let my brother complete any moves. The second my brother would let to of block to do a move, Hayate would suddenly throw out a faster move and then juggle my brother for 1/2 his life bar. The few times my brother started to get some momentum, the Hayate player would wait to throw out a move (usually his backflip) in the middle of my brother's combos and chunk an insane amount of his health.

All in all, it was my experience at Winter Brawl, and seeing other Brad users getting man handled, that made me wonder what was going on.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
The tournament I was basically butt-mangled in ruined a lot of my confidence in Brad Wong. Not only did everyone who used him seem to get blown up, but I have been playing Brad for 7+ years and NEVER experienced getting man-handled that badly in a tournament.
Tournaments are where the best of the best should be showing up. WB7 was stacked with top players in all brackets.
He then went up against a Hayate (the same player who used Ayane to decimate me out of he loser's bracket), and the Hayate never let my brother complete any moves. The second my brother would let to of block to do a move, Hayate would suddenly throw out a faster move and then juggle my brother for 1/2 his life bar. The few times my brother started to get some momentum, the Hayate player would wait to throw out a move (usually his backflip) in the middle of my brother's combos and chunk an insane amount of his health.
Brad's and every other character's frustration is in that quote. The way you can combat this is by learning Brad's frame data. Which strikes initiate his stun game? What advantage are you left at after every strike? When you're at the advantage, what moves execute faster than the fastest slow escape at your current advantage?

For example, last night I was fighting Shade Swift Eye (Kasumi). The guy slow escapes like a champ and side steps very well. I got man handled for like 5 games straight. Pretty much 3 - 0 matches in his favor. I had to dumb down my moves to be strings that I know he couldn't slow escape out of and get my damage in smaller, short bursts. No flashy big moves. Big damage only came off of wall splats or environmental damage. Once I did that, I won the last 2 matches.

TLDNR - Learn Brad's frame data.

Demoth

Tournaments are where the best of the best should be showing up. WB7 was stacked with top players in all brackets.

Brad's and every other character's frustration is in that quote. The way you can combat this is by learning Brad's frame data. Which strikes initiate his stun game? What advantage are you left at after every strike? When you're at the advantage, what moves execute faster than the fastest slow escape at your current advantage?

For example, last night I was fighting Shade Swift Eye (Kasumi). The guy slow escapes like a champ and side steps very well. I got man handled for like 5 games straight. Pretty much 3 - 0 matches in his favor. I had to dumb down my moves to be strings that I know he couldn't slow escape out of and get my damage in smaller, short bursts. No flashy big moves. Big damage only came off of wall splats or environmental damage. Once I did that, I won the last 2 matches.

TLDNR - Learn Brad's frame data.

Trust me, I'm not arguing with you.

My point was just that Winter Brawl made me realize that there are more ways to play than what I know of despite having been in multiple tournaments (this was my second for DOA 5 though, did a bunch of DOA 4).

It's just that I also noticed no one really picked Brad. It was all Jann Lee's and Helena's. Barely anyone was Brad Wong, and no Brad Wong made it far.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
It's just that I also noticed no one really picked Brad. It was all Jann Lee's and Helena's. Barely anyone was Brad Wong, and no Brad Wong made it far.
Just because Brad isn't a popular character doesn't make him bad.

HoodsXx

So from my experience of maining Brad Wong from since DOA4 as well. Like most said here, his evasiveness plays a lot into how he can take advantage of a lot of situations. An example would be let's say Kasumi does 66K to try and approach you or 236P+KP, both of those can be crushed by 236P from Brad (His Headbutt). His Laydown stance does a lot, but at the same time, it has a lot of flaws as well. Many don't know, but his running P isn't exactly the best form of offense to use when at range. As even if they block it, the opponent really only has to do 2P you out, nothing he can do from there. Yes you can side roll, but even then a tracking low will beat you out every time. Some key things to note though, if you are in Laydown stance, and someone does 2P you're still in crouching status, which let's you get off WR KK, which is 12 (14i), although the move took a little nerf thanks to the patch, it beats out most mids and definitely lows / highs. His biggest gain imo, is his BT (Back turn) T. T, as it let's him get a free 2P+K. Now most just go for the guaranteed K8 after it, but the amazing thing about it, is that P from LHT hits them while they're still in BT so it's a free hit, and then you have mix ups out of all of that. 1K2K, P+K, 6K, 6PP, H+K you name it. The awesome thing about those mix ups is that you can easily bait out a hold and put them in the same situation again. I've posted some videos in the media section, so you can get an idea of what I"m talking about. His pokes 8K, KK4, 6P, and 3K are definitely something you should use when trying to come in, they help quite a bit. 2P+K or 3P+K at range is also a good bait tool, and nets you a free OH as well. Another thing to note, is he has a lot of Pseudo safe moves, that can be used to your advantage, as most people don't really know his frames and could potentially try to grab you with a 6T letting you get a free jab in. Also, his KK4 which leaves him in DHO at +1, if you do 4K it beats out all mids. Lastly, I'd say definitely work on his BT game, he may only have three launch options from it, but the mix ups he can do is outstanding. In conclusion to all of this, he's a very difficult character to play / use. And is very Yomi based.

Demoth

All good points, Hoods. His BT T . T into the elbow drop, kick into handstand kicks and air throw is something I found out like, only two weeks ago.

The only problem I've noticed is the game will sometimes get confused with my inputs. I do the BT throw cancel, but hitting :2: :P+K: will sometimes make him law down facing the wrong way (and hence not do the mid punch elbow drop). It really messes things up badly, and I'm not sure if its because my thin sliiiighty wanders to make it :1: or :3: instead of straight :2: OR if its some type of lag, as I notice its really only a problem online.

HoodsXx

All good points, Hoods. His BT T . T into the elbow drop, kick into handstand kicks and air throw is something I found out like, only two weeks ago.

The only problem I've noticed is the game will sometimes get confused with my inputs. I do the BT throw cancel, but hitting :2: :P+K: will sometimes make him law down facing the wrong way (and hence not do the mid punch elbow drop). It really messes things up badly, and I'm not sure if its because my thin sliiiighty wanders to make it :1: or :3: instead of straight :2: OR if its some type of lag, as I notice its really only a problem online.
That's definitely an online thing as its happened with me too. The other problem with it as well is that you can't buffer 2P+K either. So just try cand make sure you get use to doing the input on point.

Demoth

That's definitely an online thing as its happened with me too. The other problem with it as well is that you can't buffer 2P+K either. So just try cand make sure you get use to doing the input on point.

Oh, I thought it could be buffered a bit. Thanks for the heads up. I was probably inputting too early at times and throwing off the move.

Everything is a gimmick once you have a character figured out.

Brad can avoid every high and 99% of the games mid attacks whilst in lying down stance.
He can also side step whilst lying down meaning he eliminates every attack in the game except tracking low attacks. Tracking low attacks don't come out very fast so if you think one is coming he has attacks from lying down that will beat them on speed.
He has the best set of crushes in the game this eliminates all of your opponents high options forcing them to use mid's and low which are slower. This helps him compete speed wise.
He can hit CB pretty fast without much problem, he has the best mix up potential of any of the cast thanks to his massive move list and his damage output is pretty damn high too.

He has every tool at his disposal to win, it's up to you how to use them. Saying that his gimmicks are weak in comparison to other characters is selling him short. He just isn't a brain dead character who you can simply throw out moves and expect results with.
Nope.Lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD