Halloween Designer Challenge 2015

KwonJigglypuff

To be fair that's not a problem exclusive to ryu. Nobody considers how their designs would look in gameplay. Most Helena and Christie designs would be a clipping nightmare with how much the crouch down and the way they move.

That's the reason why Helena will probably get another boring split dress.

I don't mind Nyotengu's wings running throught the floor all the time for instance.
So please give Helena something original this year. And all the characters!
Halloween is the perfect opportunity to come with extravagant concepts.

Like Momiji!

I hope TN won't have limits.

Kronin

Personally I don't care for the clipping unless very peculiar situations like a main element for the outfit. First of all I can notice it only when the game is still, in second place I prefer - for my tastes - to get a peculiar clothing that can appear good on the character even if not worn perfectly. Finally there are already so much outfits planned from TN that clip bad in the game, I don't see reasons because they should avoid it with the fans' designs.

Also I understand that some people here seem to dislike the outfit of Helena from the first contest compared to her others entries in the same one (btw funnily enough Kwon, that Momij's Halloween outfit that you like was designed from the same person, the FSD user Tirharr) but TN made that choice uniquely because one of the top 10 most voted (and apparently they decided to get inspiration from Anthony's swan for her Last Round swimsuit). The clipping very likely had nothing to do with the reasons behind the decision.

Argentus

Clipping shmipping, I don't notice any of that stuff while playing
ORLY?

10847275_1575136839403372_3700371970688947120_o.jpg

11018767_1575137066070016_7775527288504941642_o.jpg

10974286_1575137576069965_6704009548176777772_o.jpg

10857207_1575137822736607_5560238154567192597_o.jpg

10865956_1575139879403068_3293386503434456243_o.jpg

That's the reason why Helena will probably get another boring split dress.

I don't mind Nyotengu's wings running throught the floor all the time for instance.
So please give Helena something original this year. And all the characters!
Halloween is the perfect opportunity to come with extravagant concepts.

Like Momiji!

I hope TN won't have limits.

There's a difference between wings clipping through the floor and her face disappearing into her skirt or her ass hanging out during bokuho stance lol

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
I hope some of these get into NG4 where they belong. the problem about Ryu's costumes is people seem to forget how goofy his fighting style is in DOA.
It's populated largely by moves he has in Ninja Gaiden (or slight derivatives thereof).
6PK
6KP
124P
236P
33P
H+KKK / PPKKK
3H+K /4PK / PP4PK
WR H+K
Shoho Izuna
8T
Ongyoin T
Low P hold
Low K hold
Mid P hold
Adv. Mid K hold
High P hold
Ongyoin 6P+K
Ongyoin 6K
Old 4PK
Old PP4PK / 3H+K
And a few others I forgot, I'm sure.

I like the ones I quoted.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
(and apparently they decided to get inspiration from Anthony's swan for her Last Round swimsuit)

You always do that...claiming Team Ninja is taking this or that fan-design, basically without them honoring the original designer. I think, that's disrespectful to Team Ninja, their designers and their own ideas. A Team Ninja employee explicitly told me a while ago, that they will not take a costume or an idea from a fan, without giving props to that original designer. They believe, that this would be highly disrespectful. They either take a fan design and realize it as close as possible in the game, like they did in the past and openly state, that this is a design by a DOA-fan or they completely rely on their own designs and ideas. Remember, when everyone claimed the Hitomi Pajama was a fan design, actually the first fan design realized for the game? It wasn't! I directly asked Team Ninja. It was a recolor of an already existing DLC for another Koei Tecmo game. They were excited, to present the actual first fan designs with a little bang in the first Last Round trailer.

Last edited:

Argentus

It's populated largely by moves he has in Ninja Gaiden (or slight derivatives thereof).
6PK
6KP
124P
236P
33P
H+KKK / PPKKK
3H+K /4PK / PP4PK
WR H+K
Shoho Izuna
8T
Ongyoin T
Low P hold
Low K hold
Mid P hold
Adv. Mid K hold
High P hold
Ongyoin 6P+K
Ongyoin 6K
Old 4PK
Old PP4PK / 3H+K
And a few others I forgot, I'm sure.

I like the ones I quoted.
Isn't it the other way around? I mean Xbox ninja gaiden was after ryus been in 3 dead or alives. I don't remember doa123 ryu enough to compare but it seems like ng ryu would have been based on DOA ryu not the other way around. (Obviously not counting nes for this). Like I could a sworn the izuna was in DOA before it was in the first ninja gaiden, for example. I know he got overhauled after ninja gaiden, but still...

Brute

Standard Donor
Isn't it the other way around? I mean Xbox ninja gaiden was after ryus been in 3 dead or alives. I don't remember doa123 ryu enough to compare but it seems like ng ryu would have been based on DOA ryu not the other way around. (Obviously not counting nes for this). Like I could a sworn the izuna was in DOA before it was in the first ninja gaiden, for example. I know he got overhauled after ninja gaiden, but still...
It goes back and forth. Several moves appear first in NG, and others appear first in DOA.

All of this, of course, being irrelevant to the point: which is that if he fights "goofy" in one series he would be fighting "goofy" in the other, as well, given how many moves are shared between them.

Kronin

@Tyaren I wrote 'apparently' just for this reason, it's not a certain statement. I'm of the opinion (to be fair even Anthony that at least after the revelation of that swimsuit started to get doubts about the inclusion of his own design), that TN could have liked the swan outfit and decided to be inspired from it for the swimsuit (that however would remain again a completely different costume). But I could be wrong, of course I don't know actually what TN tought during the concept design of Helena' swimsuit.

By the way putting aside Hitomi's pajama (that indeed appear evidently to come from the DLC of the DW series, contrarily to what believed in the beginning even from me), there were more than one coincidence of this kind in the superhero DLC: to me seems strange to think that all of these things are coincidences happened on the same characters owners of the designs in question. But again this is only my opinion (and speculating about the eventuality of the case, maybe TN could simply believe that the inspiration for it is still too much little for considering the outfit a reproduction of the fan's design and so worthy of a mention of some kind. Otherwise this should mean that they aren't more free to include a purple fur and taurinus horns on Ayane without having to credit someone just for something simple like it).

Edit: I want clarify that I'm talking of 'inspiration' not of 'stealing' of partial designs. In all the cases that I noticed there are shared elements between designs and outfits but that again assume a different final outcome in the DLC costume. So I'm not saying that TN is - eventually - making a plain collage of the designs with their own ideas, because I don't believe so.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It's not my intend to fight with Kronin. He is always a nice, cool guy and I admire him for being so highly engaged in the community. BUT Kronin for a long time now gives statements along the lines of: "I believe, Team Ninja was heavily influenced or chose to be influenced by this or that design." He also said that back then with the Hitomi design. Which turned out to be not true. What Kronin and you Synce are basically saying, is that Team Ninja is not fully respecting fans' designs, that they are dishonest about that matter to me (and thus the fans in general) and that they apparently have no own design ideas? They are designers, they are some of the best in the industry, to work for such a renowned game studio.
Well, Team Ninja has used fan designs in the past. They added some in LR as unlockable content, and even made some into DLC for Halloween last year. They gave the winners something in the mail for winning, but they didn't exactly credit them in-game for their designs or inspirations. I wouldn't be surprised if TN is in fact using some designs as minor inspiration. I don't see it as disrespectful, it's just a nice touch to use various details from fan's designs. It makes that artist feel valued that TN cares enough to use their idea as a template for something great.

Brute

Standard Donor
Should i intervene in this or can you guys cut it out?

We all realize these same arguments have been put forward countless times already and that nothing new is coming out of these debates, right?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Woah, what happened to our conversation?! o___O

@Brute ,Kronin and I both already said, that we would stop... Can you please undo your(?) strange edit of my one post?

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Should i intervene in this or can you guys cut it out?

We all realize these same arguments have been put forward countless times already and that nothing new is coming out of these debates, right?
Yeah, let's just stop this. Some people feel one way, and some feel the other...it's not anything to start a travesty over.:)

Kronin

@Brute Like I said I had already ended to further discuss about it, exactly for the same reason that you expressed (and even because being the usual off topic discussion started by me... -_-)

Argentus

It goes back and forth. Several moves appear first in NG, and others appear first in DOA.

All of this, of course, being irrelevant to the point: which is that if he fights "goofy" in one series he would be fighting "goofy" in the other, as well, given how many moves are shared between them.
See now I'm imagining him keeping his handstand for ninja gaiden. That would have been both hilarious and awesome,

Anyways are we gonna hafta wait till October again? And are they gonna be putting all entries up somewhere so we can see?

Brute

Standard Donor
Woah, what happened to our conversation?! o___O

@Brute ,Kronin and I both already said, that we would stop... Can you please undo your(?) strange edit of my one post?
I did not edit it, and the history feature is odd in these types of threads so I can't check previous versions.

Can you edit it to how you want it?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I did not edit it, and the history feature is odd in these types of threads so I can't check previous versions.

Can you edit it to how you want it?

Yeah, but I would have to delete posts of Kronin, Kasumilover and Synce, that were somehow entangled in it... Hm...I will just delete it altogether. Right now, it seems as if I'm batshit crazy, lol. XD

Oh, it's working again! :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD