Helena Breakdown

Omegan Eckhart

doa5_dlc_helena.jpg

Helena: Breakdown

Okay I said I would write down as much information about DOA5 Helena as I could, I'm true to my word so here goes. Will update after DOA5U is released in September.

~ ~ ~

Pros:
  • :P+K: is still useful, goes under high's and some mid's but it doesn't crush instantly like it did in DOA4.
  • 3in1 transitions into Bokuho are -4 on block meaning you cannot be throw punished.
  • Bokuho grab still hurts real bad so we still have a solid deterrent to stop people countering.
  • Lots of new ways to enter Bokuho.
  • Still has a multitude of easy to use launchers.
  • Her side step :K: is great and her side step :P: cause a sit down stun on CH giving us +15 on Fastest SE meaning we get a free :3::3::P:.
  • Has a strong pseudo force tech game with her 3in1's.
Cons:
  • Still has an 11 frame jab.
  • Damage output is somewhat underwhelming.
  • Outside of her 3in1's I only counted ONE safe string in her arsenal, she has a few -5 strings but these are punishable by characters with i4 grabs. .
  • Has lost her Bokuho throw trap.
  • Has only one non chargeable attack that gives frame advantage.
There are more pro's than cons but the cons are pretty intense, being extremely unsafe and having low damage output are not a good combination.

So what is Helena's gameplan then? She is designed to knock you down, eliminate your wake up options and keep pressuring you. She does this through what is called Pseudo Force Teching.

~ ~ ~

Best Moves:
These are just a few of Helena's moves that you as a player may want to focus on.

• :P+K: Great high/mid crush.
  • Side Step :K: high crushing side step attack offers good stun and ability for mix up.
  • Side Step :P: +23 on hit, enough frame advantage to do whatever you please within reason.
  • :6::6::K: Great get in move, can be cancelled into Back Turned or Bokuho after first hit.
  • :K::K::K: Great poke string, can be highly delayed.
  • :3::3::P::4::P: Completely safe from throws and gets you close to CB by itself.
  • Bokuho :2::2: Feels like the recovery is slightly longer than previously but still a great tool that Helena players will need to make use of.

~ ~ ~

Critical Burst: :7::P: and BKO :6::P+K: are the attacks Helena uses to initiate Critical Burst.
These are two examples of Critical Burst combo's, these two use sit down stuns to guarantee :7::P:.
(Bare in mind these brief examples do not factor in slow escaping)

• :3::3::P: > :P::P: > :P: > :2::2:/:8::8::P::7::P:
  • :3::3::P::4::P::P: > :P::P: :7::P:
  • :2::1::4::P::4::P::P: > BKO :6::P+K:
Combo's for after landing Critical Burst:
These are just examples of what you could do when landing CB, as long as you use a one hit launcher it doesn't matter too much.

• (BKO) :P+K: > :4::P:+:K: > :4::K::4::P::P::P:
  • :6::K: > :6::6::K::P::P:
  • :8::K: > :6::P::4::P: > :4::P::K:
~ ~ ~

Whiff Punishment:
I've found myself writing about this a lot recently so I figured I would add what I wrote here as well. Which attack you use for whiff punishment depends on how much space is left between you and your opponent when they miss their attack.

• :6::6::P: Is the most commonly used, although it's pay off is minimal unless you are good at dealing with your opponents wake up game. If not you lose momentum having to space away from their wake up kicks.
  • :4::P::P: This does cover a nice range but the first hit doesn't stun on NH so the follow up's may be blocked, leaving you open to throw punishment.
  • :6::6::K: This can work, but it is slow and is generally only good when trying to catch people off guard at range. Again the first hit doesn't stun on NH but you opponent has to respect the second low hit that does stun, and this is where your mind games come in.
  • BKO:2::K: You automatically eliminate high's, mid's if you want and this sweep has great range. Not only that but the stun is deep and leaves you in a great position to follow up.
  • :2::2:/:8::8::K: Without question her best whiff punisher, possibly her best move period. As with the previous move this sweep has great range, causes a deep stun and leaves you in BKO. Not only that instead of relying on you opponent to make a mistake and whiff their attack you can side step and force them to whiff their attack. 99% of moves do not track so this is extremely abusable.

~ ~ ~

Wall Game:
Dead or Alive 5's wall game is much more simplistic than Dead or Alive 4, in exchange for gaining the ability to have guaranteed juggles against opponents who hit the wall the opponent instantly becomes airborne so only short juggles can connect. Here I will list the most damaging ways to combo opponents on the wall.

When her 3in1's are used to wall splat the opponent you will be offered the opportunity to land the most guaranteed damage, I'll use BKO :6::P::4::P::P: as an example:

(This combo was tested on Depth with Danger Zones on)
:2::F+K: > :6::P::4::P::P: > :4::P::K: > :2::3::6::P::K::P: Does 153 points of damage. This is the most powerful combo I could find in a short period of lab time.

As long as you can land her 3in1's on an opponent who is grounded you can use BKO :4::P::K: to raise them up whilst airborne to land :2::3::6::P::K::P:.

If you use the 3in1 I am using in my example you can land one stun hit without causing them to becomes airborne and losing the opportunity to land a wall combo. So only the :2::F+K: is exchangeable in that particular combo. If you use any of the other 3in1's then you can use a maximum of two stuns hits before they become airborne.

Outside of her 3in1's you want to aim to use :6::6::K::P::P: after a wall splat for combo's as it does the most damage. It will land off of anything that leaves her in forward facing stance with the exception of these attacks:

:9::P::K:
:P::P::K:
:F+K:
:K:

If you happen to land these attacks for the wall splat just use :2::3::6::P::K::P: as your follow up combo.

~ ~ ~

Combo Extensions with the use of Collapsible Objects:
When hitting someone into an arena object such as a chair or block of ice you are granted +62, when the opponent is slow escaping at the fastest possible speed you still get +52 to play with.

When you land one of these stuns you best option is to do:

(Using :2::3::6::P::K::P: to land the stun)
BKO :P+K: > :4::P+K: > :4::K: > :4::P::P::P:
This will net you 119 points of damage.

This is an example of a combo that once the unholdable stun hits is guaranteed. You can add stun before launching as long as you are okay with risking being countered. Personally I'd just take the unholdable launcher though.

~~~

Pseudo Force Teching:
Helena is able to eliminate the opponents ability to use wake up kicks on knock down. She does this by doing either:
BKO :6::P:
BKO :2::K:
BT :2::P:
BT :6::6::K:

These attacks will force the opponent up off the floor and if timed right will leave Helena with frame advantage whether it forces them up or they tech to avoid being force tech'd and it whiff's. Here's a few examples of how combo's:
  • :9::K: > :3::3::P::4::P: > :6::P:
  • :7::K: > :4::K: > :6::6::K:
  • BKO :F+P::4::P::P::8::K: > :2::K::2:
Using combo's like these it doesn't matter whether the opponent tech's or is force tech'd, Helena is at frame advantage varying between +4 and +7. Because of this Helena can maintain constant pressure on her opponent. In high level play this style of game play becomes pretty necessary as her initial pokes aren't that great and her ranged tools are pretty poor.

~~~

Version 1.03a Patch Notes:

Helena got a few minor buff's but no real nerf's in the patch, I'll list them below.

:P::P::P: / :P::P::4::P::P: / :4::P::P::P: / BT :P::P::4::P::P::P: / :6::6::P: & BT :6::P: are now -5 on block instead of -9. Making them safe to non grappler characters.

BKO :P: is i11 instead of i12 now, meaning her BKO jab is the same speed as her standing jab.

:2::3::6::P+K: is +1 on block instead of 0. This is not particularly useful seeing this move is almost impossible to land on a blocking opponent.

:6::K::K: / BT :6::K::K: / BKO :4::P::K::K: The final low attacks now do half damage when connecting at maximum range.

~~~

Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate
New Moves:

• 6P+KP: This move is an i15/i18 mid punch string and the second hit causes a bound state. The second hit can be delayed by 14 frames.
  • 66F+K: This move is an i26 high kick that is airborne part way through and leaves her in BKO. It causes a feint stun but the only allowed follow ups are P or 6P. It can also be used as a re launcher.
  • 214P+K: This is Helena's only new sit down stun. It grants +21 on slow SE, +21 on fast SE and +16 on fastest SE.
  • 44P+K: This is Helena's new power launcher. Uncharged it comes out in 25 frames and can be combo'd from with 66KP(P). Fully charged it comes out at i40. Unlike the power blow it does not guard crush when fully charged, it is -15 on block.
New Transitions into BT:

• 8PP4: She can enter BT from this move now. On block it is -6 and +13 on CH.
  • 3PP4: This cancel is -8 on block, -7 on NH and +12 on CH.
  • 6P4: This cancel is -8 on block, -7 on NH and +12 on CH.

Tracking Moves :

• 4P: This move now tracks. This is now her fastest tracking move at i15, previously 1P was at i17.
Moves with Changed Properties:

• BT 7P: This was an i23 sit down stun in Vanilla and now it also works as a CB. It grants +18 on slow SE, +16 on fast SE and +13 on fastest SE.
  • BKO 66P: Now works as a re launcher.
  • BKO P+K: Also works as a re launcher now.
  • 66P, BT 6P, PPP, PP4PP, 9PP, 9P4PP, 4PPP, BT PP4PPP: Are now unsafe going from -5 in Vanilla to -9 in Ultimate. In Vanilla they caused a knock down but now they cause a light stun on CH giving +20 on slow SE, +17 on fast SE and +15 on fastest SE.
  • F+K: Previously granted +7 on block but now only offers +2. You can now also cancel into BKO from this move but it leaves you at -1.
  • 3in1's: Every one of them now interacts with the wall which gives her a damage buff and seeing as her PFT no longer works it doesn't make much of a difference.
  • All of her SDS's: Now cause a bound state when landed at maximum stun threshold. The one exception being BT 7P as it is now a CB. P(P) and 7P also cause a bound under the same circumstances.
Force Tech aka The Blender aka PFT:

As most people now know 33P4P > 6P now longer works. This is a pretty hefty nerf seeing as her entire play style was built around it. Feel free to do it even if they don't tech as the 6P will still hit them and push them away from you which should mean you won't have to be in range of their wake up attack.

The only option you have here is to do 33P4P > 2K. This will force tech but if they tech and it whiff's you will be left at -6 in a stance where it takes Helena 10 frames to be able to block. If the opponent isn't teching use this but if they are teching make use of the massive frame advantage that you get by doing nothing after knock down.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll add more as it is discovered. Overall she is the same character with awful sit down stuns and newly nerfed guard crushes. The new transitions will make her fun to play and her PFT is still there but you have to make a 50/50 guess to capitalise on it.

TBC

Last edited:

Doug Nguyen

Im still getting the hang out Helena but i seem to be getting CB a lot more. Next time we practice i can show you a few of them.

Omegan Eckhart

Im still getting the hang out Helena but i seem to be getting CB a lot more. Next time we practice i can show you a few of them.
Great, I feel like I have gotten used to the game sufficiently now so our next session will hopefully be more productive lol.

Doug Nguyen

Great, I feel like I have gotten used to the game sufficiently now so our next session will hopefully be more productive lol.
Yeahs same. I figured out more stun extenders. Still having trouble with her initial stun but ill work on that. Ill be online soon so if your still up and wanna play, just invite me.

Sora

I'm relatively new so I might be missing something, but which grappler are you talking about? Tina's/Bass's fastest low grapple is 4, and 33P4P is -4 on block--Helena can mash or simply neutral hold out of it. 33P4P is pretty much spammable unless they can react to guarding 33P then mid punch hold (which is relatively hard to react to). I tested this and confirmed so unless there's a 3 frame low grab there somewhere.

I think because she has a lot of unsafe moves, K+H, 6P+K, BKO 4P+K will be her hidden gems. The first is +7 on block and jumping, giving either a free throw attempt or another mixup attempt. 6P+K stuns on NH (+19) and is virtually safe (only grapplers get the free throw attempt, and even then its their counter-able ones). BKO 4P+K is only -4 on block but on full charge, is +23 (guard break). It goes under all highs throughout the animation and even moves back her hitbox a bit.

A lot of her stun moves are part of natural strings (KKK being the most notable) so her whole gameplay is relatively high risk/reward and keeping them honest by not completing strings. She has multiple ways to stun, keep up the stun and get optimal damage, not including her damage from CB combos.

That said, I don't like that she only has BKO 2K as her low BKO option.. If they made BKO 6K safe for example, she would be SO much better.

Omegan Eckhart

I'm relatively new so I might be missing something, but which grappler are you talking about? Tina's/Bass's fastest low grapple is 4, and 33P4P is -4 on block--Helena can mash or simply neutral hold out of it. 33P4P is pretty much spammable unless they can react to guarding 33P then mid punch hold (which is relatively hard to react to). I tested this and confirmed so unless there's a 3 frame low grab there somewhere.

I think because she has a lot of unsafe moves, K+H, 6P+K, BKO 4P+K will be her hidden gems. The first is +7 on block and jumping, giving either a free throw attempt or another mixup attempt. 6P+K stuns on NH (+19) and is virtually safe (only grapplers get the free throw attempt, and even then its their counter-able ones). BKO 4P+K is only -4 on block but on full charge, is +23 (guard break). It goes under all highs throughout the animation and even moves back her hitbox a bit.

A lot of her stun moves are part of natural strings (KKK being the most notable) so her whole gameplay is relatively high risk/reward and keeping them honest by not completing strings. She has multiple ways to stun, keep up the stun and get optimal damage, not including her damage from CB combos.

That said, I don't like that she only has BKO 2K as her low BKO option and that she has her only save BKO option starts with mid punch. If they made BKO 6K safe for example, she would be SO much better. Instead, she only gets BKO P, which is -3 but a high... :(
You are right about the throw punishment thing, I've updated my post. Thanks

shinryu

I posted about this in general discussion but it seems like Helena's strength might really hinge on how good sidestep from disadvantage is, particularly if you can crush fast highs or throws with SS k. Anyone got a sense of how that works out for her? I'm thinking if SS k is good enough to avoid most highs (possibly even tracking highs?) even at disadvantage you might be able to at least force people to use slower mid attacks, and if SS p beats those out, you at least have a 50-50 option from a blocked move. This is even better if you can beat throws with SS k.

Jhp

Okay I said I would write down as much information about DOA5 Helena as I could, I'm true to my word so here goes.

~ ~ ~

Pros:
  • :P+K: is still useful, goes under high's and some mid's but it feels like it doesn't crush instantly like it did in DOA4.
  • 3in1 transitions into Bokuho are -4 on block meaning you cannot be throw punished.
  • Bokuho grab still hurts real bad so we still have a solid deterrent to stop people countering.
  • Her side step :K: is great and her side step :P: cause a sit down stun on CH giving us +23 meaning we get a free launcher.
Cons:
  • Outside of her 3in1's I only counted 4 safe moves in her arsenal.
There are more pro's than cons but the cons are pretty intense, being extremely unsafe and having low damage output are not a good combination.

So what is Helena's gameplan then? In my opinion she is a stun monster, she has enough attacks to keep people guessing wrong. Throw in her side step :P: and her :2::1::4::P: and you can get guaranteed launches, just be careful about how many mid :P:'s you throw out.

~ ~ ~

Best Moves:
These are just a few of Helena's moves that you as a player may want to focus on.

• Side Step :K: high crushing side step attack offers good stun and ability for mix up.
  • Side Step :P: +23 on hit, enough frame advantage to do whatever you please within reason.
  • :6::6::K: Great get in move, can be cancelled into Back Turned or Bokuho after first hit.
  • :3::3::P::4::P: Completely safe from and gets you close to CB by itself.
  • Bokuho :2::2: Feels like the recovery is slightly longer than previously but still a great tool that Helena players will need to make use of.
~ ~ ~
Critical Burst: :7::P: is the attack Helena uses to initiate Critical Burst.
These are two examples of Critical Burst combo's, these two use sit down stuns to guarantee :7::P:.

• :3::P::6::P::P: > :7::P:
These are just examples of what you could do when landing CB, as long as you use a one hit launcher it doesn't matter too much.

~ ~ ~
Whiff Punishment:
I've found myself writing about this a lot recently so I figured I would add what I wrote here as well. Which attack you use for whiff punishment depends on how much space is left between you and your opponent when they miss their attack.

• :6::6::P: Is the most commonly used, although it's pay off is minimal unless you are good at dealing with your opponents wake up game. If not you lose momentum having to space away from their wake up kicks.
  • :4::P::P: This does cover a nice range but the first hit doesn't stun on NH so the follow up's may be blocked, leaving you open to throw punishment.
  • :6::6::K: This can work, but it is slow and is generally only good when trying to catch people off guard at range. Again the first hit doesn't stun on NH but you opponent has to respect the second low hit that does stun, and this is where your mind games come in.
  • BKO:2::K: You automatically eliminate high's, mid's if you want and this sweep has great range. Not only that but the stun is deep and leaves you in a great position to follow up.
  • :2::2:/:8::8::K: Without question her best whiff punisher, possibly her best move period. As with the previous move this sweep has great range, causes a deep stun and leaves you in BKO. Not only that instead of relying on you opponent to make a mistake and whiff their attack you can side step and force them to whiff their attack. 99% of moves do not track so this is extremely abusable.
TBC
Okay I said I would write down as much information about DOA5 Helena as I could, I'm true to my word so here goes.

~ ~ ~

Pros:
  • :P+K: is still useful, goes under high's and some mid's but it feels like it doesn't crush instantly like it did in DOA4.
  • Her side step :K: is great and her side step :P: cause a sit down stun on CH giving us +23 meaning we get a free launcher.
Cons:
  • Outside of her 3in1's I only counted 4 safe moves in her arsenal.

So what is Helena's gameplan then? In my opinion she is a stun monster, she has enough attacks to keep people guessing wrong. Throw in her side step :P: and her :2::1::4::P: and you can get guaranteed launches, just be careful about how many mid :P:'s you throw out.

~ ~ ~

Best Moves:

~ ~ ~
Critical Burst: :7::P: is the attack Helena uses to initiate Critical Burst.

• :3::P::6::P::P: > :7::P:

~ ~ ~
Whiff Punishment:

TBC

Hi, I am new to Helena and the game in general and I was wondering for the cb set ups and combos could you provide a video to support these combos. I am more of a visual learner and for the life of me I can not pull off these cb combos, post and after. Also I do not understand the acronyms used for doa is there some sort of legend some where than can help me understand? Thanks

Omegan Eckhart

Hi, I am new to Helena and the game in general and I was wondering for the cb set ups and combos could you provide a video to support these combos. I am more of a visual learner and for the life of me I can not pull off these cb combos, post and after. Also I do not understand the acronyms used for doa is there some sort of legend some where than can help me understand? Thanks

Numbers are representive of directional inputs:

1 = Down + Back :1:
2 = Down :2:
3 = Down + Forward :3:
4 = Back :4:
5 = No Directional Input
6 = Forward :6:
7 = Up + Back :7:
8 = Up :8:
9 = Up + Forward :9:

NH = Normal Hit
CH = Counter Hit
CB = Critical Burst

:P: = Punch (Y)
:K: = Kick (B)
:F: = Free/Guard (X)
:F+P: = Grab (A)

I can't help you with videos but there is a member here called Sora who made this video:

This should help if you have a strong visual learning pattern. If you want video aided help I would suggest sending him a PM. This is all I can do to help you I'm afraid.

CrimsonCJ

TBC

I might be an idiot, but safe from what, exactly? I mean, I can use this move all day on unsuspecting players who have no how far this actually reaches, but is it really safe at all against someone who has a clue?

Omegan Eckhart

I might be an idiot, but safe from what, exactly? I mean, I can use this move all day on unsuspecting players who have no how far this actually reaches, but is it really safe at all against someone who has a clue?
Safe meaning it cannot be throw punished when blocked. In case your not familiar unsafe attacks in DOA are punished with throws not attacks. The fastest throws activate in 4, 5, 6 and 7 frames whilst the fastest attacks activate in 9 frames. So if an attack is -8 on block a 7 frame throw will punish it but an attack will not.

Hope that helps.

CrimsonCJ

Safe meaning it cannot be throw punished when blocked. In case your not familiar unsafe attacks in DOA are punished with throws not attacks. The fastest throws activate in 4, 5, 6 and 7 frames whilst the fastest attacks activate in 9 frames. So if an attack is -8 on block a 7 frame throw will punish it but an attack will not.

Hope that helps.

Ah, this one's even safe from throws? That I definitely missed. Thanks. I had thought that to be more a matter of appearance than fact, but I guess not.

Omegan Eckhart

Ah, this one's even safe from throws? That I definitely missed. Thanks. I had thought that to be more a matter of appearance than fact, but I guess not.
It is -4 on block so it's safe from grappler's by 1 frame and safe by 2 frames from everyone else.

Omegan Eckhart

Just to clarify if you try to attack will your attack work, since grapplers have a 4 frame grab. Or is the 4 frame grab only standing grabs?
Throws activate one frame after their start up so I guess you could say a grappler's throw will come out in 5 frames. Their neutral standing and low grabs are both 4 frames.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD