Hold on to ya butts they nerfing everything, "The hold discussion thread"

DR2K

It's nerfed stop doing it scrubs.

In all seriousness it's pretty damn effective, the game needs real unholdable stuns and more natural combos.

Lets discuss our favorite mechanic in DOA and how it has been changed in DOA5.

Batcommander

Yeah, i agree with you there, i thought we'd have a lot more of that good stuff, but i guess TN pussied out before launch :rolleyes:

Keylay

I want more recovery frames for holds and more unholdable frames for the unholdable stuns. However, I still don't like how long the stun threshold lasts. That's a big reason why people hold so much.

synce

I have no problem with it. If they make it any more 'hardcore' all the T&A in the world won't keep the series from going ultra niche.

Fome

The active window for holds should be much shorter. The window for hi counter hold ought to be the regular hold window.

Crystic

Hold windows need to be shortened and low hold recovery needs to be increased. You're dodging three possible ways of being punished and only having two ways of actually being punished, all the while being stunned. Glorious!

Dacthunder

Just remove it completely, problem solved.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... Holds are one of the things that makes Dead or Alive original and adds more depth and Strategy to the game play so people can't get easy combo strings and win easily (like you can in Tekken, Street Fighter, UMvC3 or Virtua Fighter). Like once your character gets into a combo string like most fighters etc, you have no way of coming back at all if you can't do a combo string. Teamninja is probably going to ignore this request because it will make Dead or Alive generic and make it too similar to other 3D fighters. Thank goodness for more casual players ;)

miyodarius

Wow, I think they changed up the holds nicely in DOA5. Hardly any damage and the recover is a little longer. To really improve the game, I think they should just add more unholdable holds but keep the hold system

d3v

IMO, what needs to happen is more nerfs to holds in exchange for more movement options. Working sidesteps are a step in the right direction (no pun intended), the next thing that needs to happen is more options like these. IMO, TN needs to look at AM2's playbook some more.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The game would benefit more from a univeral throw break mechanic honestly. That needs to be a priority from the very start of the next iteration, because it takes a lot of animation work and you can't just "work it in" in the middle of development.

shunwong

The game would benefit more from a univeral throw break mechanic honestly. That needs to be a priority from the very start of the next iteration, because it takes a lot of animation work and you can't just "work it in" in the middle of development.

Agreed. Not being able to break command throws is bad.

Also, introducing circular and half circular moves instead of tracking as Dev mentioned.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Indeed... though it is worth mentioning, if you find yourself getting pissed off at being overwhelmed and randomly thrown by overly aggressive opponents, it is well worth it to learn how to fuzzy guard or KBD to get out of those situations. It's a decent solution this time around, but I still want to see throw breaks in future iterations.

d3v

Personally fine with unbreakable command throws. But then again, I come from a 2D background where those are the norm.

shunwong

Personally fine with unbreakable command throws. But then again, I come from a 2D background where those are the norm.

I know, but one of the best things about 3D fighting (or at least VF and I hope DOA moves in that direction) is never running out of options defensively (or in the offense for that matter).

d3v

But don't strikes in DOA totally negate throw attempts regardless of frame data (unlike in other games where a fast enough through can beat a slow strike)? If throws are going to be universally breakable then this needs to be changed.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD