Hold on to ya butts they nerfing everything, "The hold discussion thread"

DR2K

But don't strikes in DOA totally negate throw attempts regardless of frame data (unlike in other games where a fast enough through can beat a slow strike)? If throws are going to be universally breakable then this needs to be changed.

In DOA offensive holds are specifically throws that eat attacks.

Scornwell

Holds discussion... on throws!
Universal throw break on normal, shorter window on counter, and "too bad" on hi-counter seems fair to me.

TRI Mike

With the damage they deal, I think the holds are the weakest in the entire series. Randomly holding won't win you any matches. I've yet to see it happen online. DOA4 used to give the win to the scrub who got more holds right but in DOA5 everyone is forced to actually attack and throw. It's so far a very decent game. It could have been better but it's very good.

Atrabilious

In the next iteration of DOA (since it won't happen in DOA5) I'd like to see the ability of low holds to duck under attacks removed.

The entire premise of the hold system is halting an offensive for being predictable, I.e. Making a successful read. Guessing low and managing to still get out of a combo because your opponent went high is shitty, you got rewarded for making a mistake while still experiencing the repercussions of your last mistake (failed defence, being combo'd). And that's never sat well with me throughout the series. You basically get a 2-for-1 deal in halting an offense.

Maybe that's just me.

C 3

Have fewer moves cause critical stun (natural/counter hit) and the few moves that do lead to an un holdable combo. Personally, i'm not a big fan of my opponent being able to hold while i'm hitting them either.

MasterGamer

If you miss a hold you should automatically going into a critical burst state where the announcers makes fun of you and calls you all kinds of names while I lay my smackdown. My God, people (not you guys, but some online) stop spammng counter! lol

Really, though I think the hold system is nearly fine with the exception of recovery time. If you counter mid and I go for a standing throw I should not ever miss my throw because you immediately countered low.

Also, and maybe it's just me, but Gen Fu's parries seem as though they can be spammed just as fast as in DOA4. Please tell me I'm wrong about that.

DR2K

I'm a counter spammer if i keep missing holds. It's an expert read when they land. I feel bad when I mash hold and get hi counter damage, your fault for doing predictable strings though.

Brute

Standard Donor
I love the holds, as their ability to negate move spams is incredible. In other fighting games (SC) you see the same, boring anus moves looped endlessly, even at a highly competitive level. They find moves that are easy to connect and "safe," and then there's really no reason to do anything else.
Holds in DOA prevent that. It fucks spammers hard, and forces you to change up your tactic several times per match. Honestly, it's one of my absolute favorite aspects of DOA (they're also very flashy and cool-looking, hurr). That said, in the past (4, anyone?) people could SPAM THE HOLDS which were intended to prevent spamming, kinda defeating the purpose.
So far, I feel like DOA5 has a pretty good balance with them. You have to know exactly what you're doing. Randomly throwing out holds will not get you anywhere. That said, some of the windows are a bit too tight on the advanced counter holds, imo. Maybe there's someone out there who can use Ryu's advanced Izuna counters flawlessly mid-battle, but I've yet to see it (aside from Master).

DontForkWitMe

I still laugh at pitiful fools who actually think I as an eliot player will actually finish any of his punch strings as they constantly spam mid punch counter only to eat a hi-counter 236h+p into my 115pt damage bnb juggle without wall damage. and then when they get deserpate and simply spam low counters to avoid the throw i CB them into bnb juggle for the same amount of damage. when will they learn:oops:

DR2K

I still laugh at pitiful fools who actually think I as an eliot player will actually finish any of his punch strings as they constantly spam mid punch counter only to eat a hi-counter 236h+p into my 115pt damage bnb juggle without wall damage. when will they learn :oops:

Yeah just mash hi counter guys. It completely shuts his string game down.

FakeSypha

Rig laughs at the hold.

Tina wants you to hold.

I suppose the relevance of the hold is really just based on who's fighting who.
I agrre with you on that Tina part. I fought some Tina yesterday night. Damn hi counter combo throws. I don't wanna hold ever, ever again. :eek:

Batcommander

I just wish holds had more recovery, and that the goddamn low hold was fixed.

The one mechanic i do love about DOA5 tho, is that launchers work on NH, so there is that option, though it doesn't net a lot of damage.

Phantom131

Yeah just mash hi counter guys. It completely shuts his string game down.
all of a sudden in this game, that seems like what everyone does. In Ultimate, the norm for counter spammers was mid punch counter. Now it seems like high counter is the counter spammers go to. so lame.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD