DOA5LR Honoka Reveal Trailer

Releasing a day earlier than its original January 15th reveal date (all in part to yesterday's scan/screenshot leaks), here is the official reveal trailer for Honoka, "a sweet, easygoing kind of girl," Koei Tecmo subtly points out.

Her fighting style looks strikingly similar to a few of the cast members, doesn't it? :eek:

Last edited:
How can you be certain that there are more characters coming?
Team Ninja said they had plans for like 8 or 9 characters for Ultimate DLC and we only got Marie, Alpha and NyoTengu. Add Raidou and Honoka and there should be more left still.

After watching the combo challenge I might try her.
51c51f99d9.gif

Reactions: J2S
I mean, I don't think people should have to pretend that they're happy with it if they're not. We are the consumers after all. Just as those who like her can express praise, those who don't should be able to express their dissatisfaction. If everyone that doesn't like her shuts up, then Team Ninja isn't getting the full picture.

I'm not really saying people should shut up about her, what I'm saying is that she's 1 character, at the end of a game's life cycle, and that they should maybe give her a chance before crucifying her on a message board because she isn't what they wanted.

There's 33 other characters to choose from. 1 schoolgirl with a "lazy" moveset isn't the end of the world.

I'm not really saying people should shut up about her, what I'm saying is that she's 1 character, at the end of a game's life cycle, and that they should maybe give her a chance before crucifying her on a message board because she isn't what they wanted.

There's 33 other characters to choose from. 1 schoolgirl with a "lazy" moveset isn't the end of the world.
Overall there is a lot of overreactions over this one character. It could have been more but it is what it is. People have mains and they can try her and see if they like her or ignore her like most people do with other characters.

I think that a part of it is leftover anger culminating from a bunch of the other slights that people have perhaps felt form TN. Ya know, a few copy pasta outfits here, a couple of dumb fetish outfits there, some overcharging for DLC, a few interviews and vids of the developers drooling over Nyotengu's and Hitomi's boobs, maybe throw in a little current gen/last gen/PC Last Round discrepancy hijinks and then Honoka happens, at a time when people were fantasizing about all the different, interesting possible things that the new character could bring to the table and it becomes...
B-SW-0017-2__70789.1404193218.380.500.jpg

With the command list vid out (and the short lived combo challenge), people pretty much have an idea of how she's going to work. Adrenaline rush of mashing buttons aside, I doubt that people that don't like her now will change their minds that much when the game is out. Maybe just tolerate her.

Me? I'm pretty done on the complaining tip, as you're right, nothing's probably going to change at this point. But, that perhaps only elicits more anger for some people, as it's been shown that how they feel doesn't really matter to TN.

I still reserve the right to refer to her as GENERIC SPARKLY MOE COW SCHOOLGIRL SALAD though. People can go with "salad" for short of course.

Edit: Not-so short lived Combo Challenge.

Last edited:
I think that a part of it is leftover anger culminating from a bunch of the other slights that people have perhaps felt form TN. Ya know, a few copy pasta outfits here, a couple of dumb fetish outfits there, some overcharging for DLC, a few interviews and vids of the developers drooling over Nyotengu's and Hitomi's boobs, maybe throw in a little current gen/last gen/PC Last Round discrepancy hijinks and then Honoka happens, at a time when people were fantasizing about all the different, interesting possible things that the new character could bring to the table and it becomes...

With the command list vid out (and the short lived combo challenge), people pretty much have an idea of how she's going to work. Adrenaline rush of mashing buttons aside, I doubt that people that don't like her now will change their minds that much when the game is out. Maybe just tolerate her.

Me? I'm pretty done on the complaining tip, as you're right, nothing's probably going to change at this point. But, that perhaps only elicits more anger for some people, as it's been shown that how they feel doesn't really matter to TN.

I still reserve the right to refer to her as GENERIC SPARKLY MOE COW SCHOOLGIRL SALAD though. People can go with "salad" for short of course.

That, and when we try our hardest to show that DoA is more than just boobs, and can be for "normal people," too, they do this to us. She won't kill the game, but unless the otaku who'd be into her aren't already playing something with lots of schoolgirls in it (which is highly unlikely), they aren't going to pull them over. Any normal person who was thinking about trying this game, gave up the moment they heard about Honoka and that their suspicions are true. If i'm really lucky, major websites are going to start mocking it and i'll have to explain to my girlfriend how it just looks really bad (I tell her all the time it's the most realistic fighting game, but this is not going to convince her).

The 3D fighting genre, needs a new franchise or a revamp. The current series we have are old, it seems that there's nothing new to Offer. To many fans are complaining for the lack of creativity that's not by chance that's causality. The discontent should be a red flag for developers, unless their purpose it's to end the games. IDK if Asia has the same discontent.

This character it's an addition for an old game, So they didn't go full on creative mode for an expansion, still they should have made her fat. If she where fat at least it would have a higher level of originality. I don't have anything against her but like everyone I have to admit she is lazy, but again addition for an old game.

Last edited:

I don't look at it that way at all. The reason why I like this community is that we don't cry and whine like Capcom (or at least I never really witnessed it up until this point). All the "Salad" tossing (forgive the bad pun) reminds me of the SRK forums... I don't like it.

Its hard for me to ever come down on TN based on all the support they've given this game. Literally hundreds of costumes, regular balance changes, they even went the extra mile and let us design costumes ourselves, all as an option. I wouldn't say that they don't care. That's pretty unfair.

Back to Honoka, I'm looking at this combo challenge and all I see is awesome. I actually want to play her even more now. I don't really see where all the disappointment stems from, I mean I get it, she's not what you wanted, but it could be a WHOLE lot worse. I say give her a shot, and if we don't like her, we can always go back to our mains.

I don't look at it that way at all. The reason why I like this community is that we don't cry and whine like Capcom (or at least I never really witnessed it up until this point). All the "Salad" tossing (forgive the bad pun) reminds me of the SRK forums... I don't like it.

Its hard for me to ever come down on TN based on all the support they've given this game. Literally hundreds of costumes, regular balance changes, they even went the extra mile and let us design costumes ourselves, all as an option. I wouldn't say that they don't care. That's pretty unfair.

Back to Honoka, I'm looking at this combo challenge and all I see is awesome. I actually want to play her even more now. I don't really see where all the disappointment stems from, I mean I get it, she's not what you wanted, but it could be a WHOLE lot worse. I say give her a shot, and if we don't like her, we can always go back to our mains.
The problem is that any "vocal" dissatisfaction will always just be written off as "whining". It always just boils down to those who are happy telling everyone else to "stop complaining".

People are not going to be happy with everything that TN decides to give us just because they decided to give it to us at all. This really can go for any game and any fanbase. Just because something is given doesn't mean it's wanted. I'm not saying that TN has never done anything decent, because that's clearly not the case. But, you can't bring up "Oh, they supported the game with so much DLC" knowing full well that 60-70% of it is (overpriced) bikinis, fetish outfits, and sexy-time movies that not everyone is into. Are you saying that people who aren't down with getting towels as costumes have to be grateful for that when the things that they are requesting aren't being added? "At least they gave you something" means little if you have no use for whatever that is (though I suppose you can be happy for other people). People will be grateful for the things that please them. I'm pretty sure Zack Island, Lorelei, and Haunted Lorelei brought no complaints (besides bad texturing perhaps). But, I doubt anyone here has been complaining 24/7 the entire time that they have been a site member.

They have indeed patched the game. But, there are multiple characters that still aren't great even after all of the patches. "At least they patched it at all" doesn't help in that case. Results help. We'll see what happens during LR on the balance tip, of course. Maybe them "not caring" isn't the right term to use because that may just be irrelevant to what ends up happening for corporate or financial reasons or whatever. But the result is the result. And that's all that we're left with.

Where does the disappointment in Honoka stem from? I think you already know. Lost potential. We all still have our mains if she's not our cup of tea, but that potential is something that is basically lost forever. We now have 2 amalgam characters revealed back-to-back. A character comprised of 93% other characters' moves is not going to be "awesome" for everybody. Hindsight is 20/20 and perhaps we can now infer that the alternative was never in the cards in the first place, but people were expecting a new character with a fighting style brand new to the game. Especially since Raidou was just brought back. The same thing happened with SCV. Yes, Kilik and Elysium aren't the same, but... People are angry because they think that Team Ninja is capable of doing better than that when they are not.

This isn't even getting into the problems with her design. Some people only care that she's cute, bubbly, and stacked. Well, okay. But, there are plenty of other layers to delve into when you go beyond that...or should I say there's not really. Could've been worse, yes. Doesn't make it good.

This post is farrrrrrr too long. But, at any rate, the complaints will stop eventually. It always dies down, becuase there are other things that people like. But, if you're looking for a fanbase that won't complain about anything, you won't ever find it.

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense why some players feel the need to give up on DOA. I don't blame yall, I would be pissed too. I can't tell you how many times I've came to this site to find professional tips and videos on how great this game is; only to go to Eventhubs and see on the front page "DOA Selling more boobies". Then the never ending debate starts with "DOA a sellout", "This game is a joke", etc. I love DOA and I don't think Team Ninja has lost their way or nothing. Just like other titles to be milked dry; games like Street Fighter 4, SSF4, SSF4 2012, SSF4 AE, and USF4. BlazBlue Calamity Trigger, BB Continuum Shift, BB Chrono Phantasma. And other games too.
I remember when the 1st trailer of DOA5 came out, it was all hype and no sex appeal. I was hype for the power blows, cliffhanger moves, actually real story mode, then adding tag mode online again, fix the net code better. My hype for this game now is low, but it's still there. 3d fighters won't ever be as big as 2d fighters but I don't care. Honoko is a lazy ass character, but all I need is Ayane, Rig, Mila, and Bass and I could care less who they add.
Team Ninja is using Sex to make more of a profit, and if that profit helps them make a even better DOA6, then I'm all for it. Love the series and that won't change

Last edited:
The problem is that any "vocal" dissatisfaction will always just be written off as "whining". It always just boils down to those who are happy telling everyone else to "stop complaining".

People are not going to be happy with everything that TN decides to give us just because they decided to give it to us at all. This really can go for any game and any fanbase. Just because something is given doesn't mean it's wanted. I'm not saying that TN has never done anything decent, because that's clearly not the case. But, you can't bring up "Oh, they supported the game with so much DLC" knowing full well that 60-70% of it is (overpriced) bikinis, fetish outfits, and sexy-time movies that not everyone is into. Are you saying that people who aren't down with getting towels as costumes have to be grateful for that when the things that they are requesting aren't being added? "At least they gave you something" means little if you have no use for whatever that is (though I suppose you can be happy for other people). People will be grateful for the things that please them. I'm pretty sure Zack Island, Lorelei, and Haunted Lorelei brought no complaints (besides bad texturing perhaps). But, I doubt anyone here has been complaining 24/7 the entire time that they have been a site member.

They have indeed patched the game. But, there are multiple characters that still aren't great even after all of the patches. "At least they patched it at all" doesn't help in that case. Results help. We'll see what happens during LR on the balance tip, of course. Maybe them "not caring" isn't the right term to use because that may just be irrelevant to what ends up happening for corporate or financial reasons or whatever. But the result is the result. And that's all that we're left with.

Where does the disappointment in Honoka stem from? I think you already know. Lost potential. We all still have our mains if she's not our cup of tea, but that potential is something that is basically lost forever. We now have 2 amalgam characters revealed back-to-back. A character comprised of 93% other characters' moves is not going to be "awesome" for everybody. Hindsight is 20/20 and perhaps we can now infer that the alternative was never in the cards in the first place, but people were expecting a new character with a fighting style brand new to the game. Especially since Raidou was just brought back. The same thing happened with SCV. Yes, Kilik and Elysium aren't the same, but... People are angry because they think that Team Ninja is capable of doing better than that when they are not.

This isn't even getting into the problems with her design. Some people only care that she's cute, bubbly, and stacked. Well, okay. But, there are plenty of other layers to delve into when you go beyond that...or should I say there's not really. Could've been worse, yes. Doesn't make it good.

This post is farrrrrrr too long. But, at any rate, the complaints will stop eventually. It always dies down, becuase there are other things that people like. But, if you're looking for a fanbase that won't complain about anything, you won't ever find it.

Nah man the post isn't too long. You have a right to say what you want to say and feel however you want to feel but the thing is, big business doesn't pay attention to social media and message boards. You as the consumer have to exercise discontent with your wallet.

They listen to bottom lines because at the end of the day its a business. The goal is to save and make money while keeping us as happy as possible. I think the competitive community forgets that they only make up a small part of who actually is playing the game. Not saying that your voices shouldn't be heard, but in the case of DLC, TN wouldn't keep pumping it out if people weren't buying it.

What about Marie and Nyo though? Those are 2 really well designed, original characters that arrived months apart. Not to mention the original 30 characters. You never know what may be going on internally as well. Maybe they didn't have the time or resources to create another completely original fighter. Maybe they're planning for DOA6? Maybe DOAX3 is in the works (Joke :p).You never know.

It is very much not the most realistic fighting game. You'll have to cut that out. lol

No, really. What is more realistic? Sure there are unrealistic elements, but the game effectively handles 3 of the 5 ranges (if you include ground which it barely handles [Outside→Kicking→Punching→Trapping→Ground]). It's also the only game that actually handles the trapping range with more than 1 or 2 moves per character (and i more than 2 ways [holds, throws, offensive holds]). The game has parries, sidesteps, and some characters have ground fighting (I really want an expansion on ground fighting). There is standup wrestling for crying out loud. You have characters that know slips. Strings are actually natural (despite many being of really bad form, they are quite natural). The characters themselves have more real attributes (ones that go unnoticed like slouches) than we can expect from other fighters. Sure, KBD isn't realistic, but the backdash is unrealisticly slow. I could go on for a while, without even turning the game on to look.
The 3D fighting genre, needs a new franchise or a revamp. The current series we have are old, it seems that there's nothing new to Offer. To many fans are complaining for the lack of creativity that's not by chance that's causality. The discontent should be a red flag for developers, unless their purpose it's to end the games. IDK if Asia has the same discontent.

This character it's an addition for an old game, So they didn't go full on creative mode for an expansion, still they should have made her fat. If she where fat at least it would have a higher level of originality. I don't have anything against her but like everyone I have to admit she is lazy, but again addition for an old game.

Actually, it would've been alot worse if she was fat. At least with the unoriginality they can't claim shock value on us, say that it's shaming fat people (since the game is quite opposite with every other character, and she'd have weaknesses that would probably relate to the weight), etc. That said, i think you're right. We need a DoA ripoff that starts characters themselves from scratch but takes the holds, parries, throws, etc.

They care, but it's not too far unlike capcom. Their way of showing they care about their fans' opinions is this stuff exclusively. If they don't explicitly ask for opinions, then they ignore them. The biggest difference, though, is that capcom explicitly asked for it, then still ignored it, and made sure to tell us that the opinions weren't good enough (Megaman Legends 3). Mind you, a few years ago it wasn't this way with TK. I was very impressed with their support of Samurai Warriors: Chronicles on the 3ds.

Very good post, and perhaps the incapability is true. I'm more bothered by her design than I am her fighting style (i feel like i'm alone on this, though). Her design undermines the image that this and other DoA communities have been trying to build of DoA: that it's a fighting game that is fun to PLAY.

That said, this disappointment comes after the disappointment of "we're going to support the ps3, but not this, because the ps3 can't handle it" followed by "oh, btw, we aren't gonna do this either, and we're now gonna make you wonder how far we're supporting the ps3 after all, despite you just invested in the last bit of DLC that you can't transfer to the PC because it's not a ps4 (and i hope you bought a ps4)." What's worse, we know it's not true. Were the original features wthat were cut a big deal? Aside from the stages (which they might actually be right about the ps3 not being able to handle), not really.

It's just really bad PR to set yourself up for failure. If you know it's not "super awesome," don't hype it. Keep quiet.

It makes perfect sense why some players feel the need to give up on DOA. I don't blame yall, I would be pissed too. I can't tell you how many times I've came to this site to find professional tips and videos on how great this game is; only to go to Eventhubs and see on the front page "DOA Selling more boobies". Then the never ending debate starts with "DOA a sellout", "This game is a joke", etc. I love DOA and I don't think Team Ninja has lost their way or nothing. Just like other titles to be milked dry; games like Street Fighter 4, SSF4, SSF4 2012, SSF4 AE, and USF4. BlazBlue Calamity Trigger, BB Continuum Shift, BB Chrono Phantasma. And other games too.
I remember when the 1st trailer of DOA5 came out, it was all hype and no sex appeal. I was hype for the power blows, cliffhanger moves, actually real story mode, then adding tag mode online again, fix the net code better. My hype for this game now is low, but it's still there. 3d fighters won't ever be as big as 2d fighters but I don't care. Honoko is a lazy ass character, but all I need is Ayane, Rig, Mila, and Bass and I could care less who they add.
Team Ninja is using Sex to make more of a profit, and if that profit helps them make a even better DOA6, then I'm all for it. Love the series and that won't change

See, that's what we were doing all along. Then they say a new edition is coming out, and we expected to see our investment pay off. And did it? Instead, they just insulted the community, indirectly, with this jailbait hoe, and using (and heaven knows they'd be funny in any other context) outfits to add insult to injury.

They listen to bottom lines because at the end of the day its a business. The goal is to save and make money while keeping us as happy as possible. I think the competitive community forgets that they only make up a small part of who actually is playing the game. Not saying that your voices shouldn't be heard, but in the case of DLC, TN wouldn't keep pumping it out if people weren't buying it.

Look at the purchase history. Are the people who are buying the fetish outfits not buying all the outfits? Not all the DLC is fetish. The "fun" outfits like the halloween stuff, i assume, is the highest selling, but we don't have the numbers.

What about Marie and Nyo though? Those are 2 really well designed, original characters that arrived months apart. Not to mention the original 30 characters. You never know what may be going on internally as well. Maybe they didn't have the time or resources to create another completely original fighter. Maybe they're planning for DOA6? Maybe DOAX3 is in the works (Joke :p).You never know.

Nyo wasn't. She's just a sexualized version of a previous character. Marie is a whole topic of her own, but she is mostly original (she did cater to a fetish, however). If i have to say anything about monoka, it's that she is surely a regular true JKD user, and she makes maining Marie look OK.

There's more to her than meets the eye, she obviously has some connection to Raidou don't you think? She emits a red aura and copies other opponents moves. Even her design takes elements from other characters.
Maybe her glove is made from the flesh of Raidou's right arm

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD