DOA5LR Honoka Reveal Trailer

Releasing a day earlier than its original January 15th reveal date (all in part to yesterday's scan/screenshot leaks), here is the official reveal trailer for Honoka, "a sweet, easygoing kind of girl," Koei Tecmo subtly points out.

Her fighting style looks strikingly similar to a few of the cast members, doesn't it? :eek:

Last edited:
Not true, because I know for a fact that there are new DLC characters on the way ... and they were pretty blunt about planning to abandon the last gen...
Someone should politely tell TN to stop copying movelists to make "new characters" and start making new stages.

I'm just starting to imagine how much more crazier the reaction from everyone would really be if they would've ended the trailer with Honoka performing Hayabusa's izuna drop.
Laughing_smiley.gif
Don't even joke like that...

Someone should politely tell TN to stop copying movelists to make "new characters" and start making new stages.

You see here's the problem ...
We politely asked them to tone down the oversexualization... they went topless.
We politely asked them for more stages, specific stages... and the fact that stages define DOA... well look what we got...
We privately spoke about how Namco fucked up with SCV placing too many clones and copy/paste characters... its like we spoke to different people that decided to make Honoka...
We politely asked for a better netcode... Honestly, I have very low expectations that will even get fixed anymore... nor has there even been any official mention about improvement. Only talk behind closed doors, which I personally no longer believe.

Polite doesn't work with them ...
Their fanbase focus is mainly Japan ... so I am talking to the Japan fanbase now and they are siding with me.. just look at how my Japanese tweets are blowing up about Honoka.

believe me I really love this game... The frustration I am showing is mainly because I don't want this game to go to shit ... We already have enough trouble trying to promote it ... you might not feel it in the states but here in Saudi and back in the UK the FGC is heavily SF and Tekken based. Team Ninja's shitty promotions of Soft engine/Swimwear/Honoka are just not helpful. They need to show that this game is first and foremost a fucking fighting game and they don't even know how to do that nor do they listen to reason.

I told them in person and showed them even that Capcom for example release changelog videos for updates... Shimbori's answer was, we can easily do that... well .. what the fuck are they waiting for? That alone would show the community and reassure us hardcore players that the company does indeed care about us.

I am honestly losing motivation to make any future content... hell I'm not even motivated to finish up editing the Kokoro video.. and it only needs finishing touches... I'm gonna do it ... just ... honestly feel really let down by them.

DOA5 Faces were one of their biggest strongpoints in terms of evolution and superiority over other fighters and also a huge step from past DOAs in a sense that you can actually tell the characters apart even if they were all bald... and now they turned it into a copy/paste job... Its simply unforgivable... hell I am even trying to keep an open mind about Honoka's moveset because the combination of styles may prove to be interesting... but even that to many people is also a sign of a lazy half-assed job... not to mention that it devalues the whole concept of Raidou (which actually does piss me off alot).

I'm not too keen on Last Round as much anymore...

Last edited:
I feel like we're reliving the whole "Lucky Chloe" fiasco.

Basically, many folk are grateful for everything that TN is doing: costumes, characters, iterations...
while many others are blatantly ungrateful.

The point is, we can never have a consensus. Someone will always be unhappy.

Needless to say, I am going to enjoy everything they throw at me, along with many other folks in this community and most of the Japanese fan-base. For others, sucks to suck, I guess.

...DOA5 Faces were one of their biggest strongpoints in terms of evolution and superiority over other fighters and also a huge step from past DOAs in a sense that you can actually tell the characters apart even if they were all bald... and now they turned it into a copy/paste job... Its simply unforgivable... hell I am even trying to keep an open mind about Honoka's moveset because the combination of styles may prove to be interesting... but even that to many people is also a sign of a lazy half-assed job... not to mention that it devalues the whole concept of Raidou (which actually does piss me off alot).

I'm not too keen on Last Round as much anymore...

When DoA5 came out & the VF characters were put in I was ecstatic; it looked to me like the new Team Ninja was going to go in a more serious direction (lets be honest eh, the DoA franchise was always known as a "boobs & bruises" series). As DoA5 gave way to DoA5U I saw stuff that belonged more in the DoAX franchise but went along with it since the DLC in this game, just as with most other games these days, is the moneymaker.

My thing, as I've written at nauseam, is that they blew an opportunity to introduce an actual new fighting style; I could have stomached her busty Marie Rose schtick otherwise. I could have even stomached "Honoka fu" being a made up/imaginary fighting style otherwise, that would show (to me at least) that they were at least trying.

How badly, if at all, will this character hurt the series in the long run? I only know the reactions from here & Steam. @EMPEROR_COW based on your post, I want to know how it's being viewed on Twitter. Link please?

Last edited:
Can I just ask if Team Ninja expects people to buy a new game for 2 mimic characters, 2 rehashed stages and changes in move properties?

Will there be new moves at all? Does anyone know?
And most importantly, will Honoka have her own unique moves? Like c'mon at least 50% of her moves has to be unique right?

Can I just ask if Team Ninja expects people to buy a new game for 2 mimic characters, 2 rehashed stages and changes in move properties?
No. They expect people to buy it just because it's being released on more platforms in higher resolution.

Will there be new moves at all? Does anyone know?
Highly doubtful at this point.

You see here's the problem ...
We politely asked them to tone down the oversexualization... they went topless.
We politely asked them for more stages, specific stages... and the fact that stages define DOA... well look what we got...
We privately spoke about how Namco fucked up with SCV placing too many clones and copy/paste characters... its like we spoke to different people that decided to make Honoka...
We politely asked for a better netcode... Honestly, I have very low expectations that will even get fixed anymore... nor has there even been any official mention about improvement. Only talk behind closed doors, which I personally no longer believe.

Polite doesn't work with them ...
I don't believe that impolite would work any better, though.

No. They expect people to buy it just because it's being released on more platforms in higher resolution.

Highly doubtful at this point.

Yeap I bought a PS4 just for DOA 5 LR's supposedly better graphics (Which I'm not really seeing). I pray to God Team Ninja at least have the decency to fix the crappy PS2 ground textures for the PS4/Xbox1 versions.

1) Does Emperor Cow or anyone else who speaks to the devs know if they are fixing the crappy PS2 ground textures in LR for PS4/XB1? And Emp, do you mind helping me ask the devs if Honoka has any unique STRIKING moves? (Im sure the rest of the community would like to know!)

2) To the rest of the DOA community who have watched Honoka's command training. Are her Throws and Holds unique? Or are they copied too?

Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read this. Gosh....I want this game to succeed so much you know?

Her movelist is...interesting. Like Rikuto had said somewhere, she seems to have stolen most of the fun moves. Her counters and throws are bland, but I like the mixup potential she has. I am worried about how good she may wind up being, though, especially with Lei's 3P+K. That shit is annoying enough on one character, let alone a girl with half a dozen other annoying moves.

I don't think she's lazy at all. Yes, all of her moves are borrowed, but the way they all flow together kinda makes it Honoka's own. And to be fair, TN has busted ass on support for this game since vanilla now, both with tons of DLC and balance changes.

I think she looks fun. I don't know lol.

Couldn't watch the command video. Way too many missed inputs on relatively simple commands.

Her poke your eyes taunt is pretty funny though in the Japan trailer. Lol they got rid of that portion for the localized version.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD