How Do You Fight The Turtles?

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I find this style of opponent (Busa, Jan Lee, Ayane, Hyate) to be the most difficult. If I can keep the gap close, I'm at a ~75% win ratio. But when I can't, I'm down to sub 30%. I need some tips. I've tried the, let them come to you. Side step their charge or I charge with side step, and it almost always ends poorly.

I also wish that I could upload some freakin video of me losing to the turtles to see if I could be critiqued, but no such luck yet.

ReyVagabond

ok, im no expert but here it goes.
round one, you just got owned, dont see nothing wrong with that. reading a good oponent is hard.
Round two you did throw some random stuff that did not worked.
Roud 3 good combos. but the random moves got you punished
Round 4 grate knee combo but still, some mistakes, you got punished. wrong reads

In the end all i can say, trow less random stuff, play a little more safe.
and the reads of the oponent its all about practice and epirience.

And why the heck im posting, you can beat me with your eyes closed, i cant do a knee ouside a practice even if my life depends on it.
But still i like Akira and ill keep loosing with him till i get better.

And i realy need a good guide of how to use Akira against everyone else.
like Hayate i have been owned by him and helena (looks like Mamba fanbace avalanche).

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I play super aggressive, which is my downfall. I am throwing unsafe moves a lot which don't allow my character enough recovery time to have my guard back up. I tend to throw an unsafe move, and try to squeeze another move in right after it and get beat by the frames.

In regards to the random moves, I buffer in a move before the other finishes a lot. When lag comes into play, it will execute different moves. I'm not blaming lag for my loss, but at least it's an explanation as to why my strings went full retard at times. Replays disregard lag.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Can anyone on the PS3 let me know if the increased side step speed helps to avoid 2 situations:

1. Can non-natural combos be side stepped and have the SS :P: connect before the follow up move tracks you again and hits?
2. On certain characters like Hyabusa, his teleport attacks which don't track, is the timing less strict to be successfully side steped?

Ghosty-J

1. Can non-natural combos be side stepped and have the SS :P: connect before the follow up move tracks you again and hits?
Yes, it's definitely possible. But after playing a bit more, the SS:P+K: is excellent to use when you find yourself too close to your opponent since it's fast enough to connect before the followup attack can hit you. Not sure about it can interrupt natural combos, but I find myself getting hit often when I use it.

2. On certain characters like Hyabusa, his teleport attacks which don't track, is the timing less strict to be successfully side steped?

I never had a problem dodging that move, so I can't quite tell. But I have to guess so.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Yes, it's definitely possible. But after playing a bit more, the SS:P+K: is excellent to use when you find yourself too close to your opponent since it's fast enough to connect before the followup attack can hit you.
I know they said SS:P: is at 29 frames post patch, but how fast is SS:P+K:? What does it leave you at on counter hit and normal hit?

Ghosty-J

I know they said SS:P: is at 29 frames post patch, but how fast is SS:P+K:? What does it leave you at on counter hit and normal hit?

The speed of the entire animation to finish is 25 frames. It's essentially the same move as :3::P:, which is 14. I'm guessing the added frames must be taking the sidestep into account, so the sidestep itself is probably 11 frames. As far as normal and counter-hit and normal-hit goes, they both leave you at +5, while proportionately also leaving you at -5 on block. I see this more as a tool to help interrupt the more slower combos in the game, but ultimately useless when you want to initiate a stun to get a combo going anywhere.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
The speed of the entire animation to finish is 25 frames. It's essentially the same move as :3::P:, which is 14. I'm guessing the added frames must be taking the sidestep into account, so the sidestep itself is probably 11 frames. As far as normal and counter-hit and normal-hit goes, they both leave you at +5, while proportionately also leaving you at -5 on block. I see this more as a tool to help interrupt the more slower combos in the game, but ultimately useless when you want to initiate a stun to get a combo going anywhere.
I was thinking its purpose was to interrupt an attack string and not get caught by the following up attacks.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Another thing I question is the opponent's reaction after SS:P+K: lands. Do they normally hold block or do they try to follow up with additional attacks? If they're blocking, just follow up with guard breaks. Seems like a sweet set up to me.

Ghosty-J

I was thinking its purpose was to interrupt an attack string and not get caught by the following up attacks.
My thoughts exactly. But I find myself getting hit just about half the time. Perhaps my timing is off. Meh, I sawk anyways :V

Another thing I question is the opponent's reaction after SS:P+K: lands. Do they normally hold block or do they try to follow up with additional attacks? If they're blocking, just follow up with guard breaks. Seems like a sweet set up to me.
Yeah, that's a deadly set up. But I'm usually paranoid about fighting uber-aggressive players, so I'm somewhat iffy about implementing guardbreaks into my overall game. I should break the habit though since that's a darn good idea!

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
My thoughts exactly. But I find myself getting hit just about half the time. Perhaps my timing is off. Meh, I sawk anyways :V

Yeah, that's a deadly set up. But I'm usually paranoid about fighting uber-aggressive players, so I'm somewhat iffy about implementing guardbreaks into my overall game. I should break the habit though since that's a darn good idea!
You'll find less button mashers the higher up in rank you go. What ranked opponents do you normally face?

Ghosty-J

You'll find less button mashers the higher up in rank you go. What ranked opponents do you normally face?

The same handful of players over and over again. Many who hardly block, but loves to counter a lot. There are the rare few I come across that are ridiculously good, but online on my end is a barren wasteland because my internet is so TERRIBLE. I lag horribly, I get denied matches because of my connection, and my +3-bar searches are limited to a small few which keeps me waiting for much longer than needed. Hopefully that will change when I move out to my other house for a couple months where the internet is 10x superior than the unplayable crap-pile I have now D:

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
The same handful of players over and over again. Many who hardly block, but loves to counter a lot. There are the rare few I come across that are ridiculously good, but online on my end is a barren wasteland because my internet is so TERRIBLE. I lag horribly, I get denied matches because of my connection, and my +3-bar searches are limited to a small few which keeps me waiting for much longer than needed. Hopefully that will change when I move out to my other house for a couple months where the internet is 10x superior than the unplayable crap-pile I have now D:
Yeah, I know what you mean about playing people who rather counter than block. I'll have practiced the GBoD like 100x in training prior to ranked matches and all my opponents won't block.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD