How do you properly utilize training mode?

Katsu Hayami

Staff member
Administrator
I've been playing DOA5 for almost a month straight now and I feel like i'm still not good enough because of some loses playing with other people both offline and online. I wanted to point out a few things I do in training mode and what I learn as well and learning from other people and how they get better.

I'll be honest, I am new to the DOA community and to the game. I first tried the game at GVN Summer Jam carrying my cute pink arcade stick around and loved it. After playing a few matches at GVN Summer Jam I really wanted to learn more about the game and how to actually utilize the system properly. So after talking to a few people and finding out who were the DOA veterans like Rikuto, VirtuaPai, CyberEvil, Dr.Dogg, Mr.Wah, Mystic, Allan Paris, etc. I asked all of them "What should I be practicing and what should I do in training mode?".

There are many people that don't realize how useful training mode is. People new to the game like me would just jump into the game without thinking how robust of a tool training mode is. Most people use training mode just for combo practice but there's a lot of factors to take into consideration it can be much more than that.

First thing I do in training mode is to maximize your time as much as possible by utilizing the training settings as much as possible and adjusting them to situations I want to learn. Now what most people tend to do on training mode is learn combos. When I first played DOA5 at Summer Jam I didn't know about the various types of combos like one guess combos, critical burst combos, hi counter strike combos, inescapable combos, and natural combos. Also the various stuns that happen in DOA5 like limbo stun and sit down stun. Rikuto was teaching me all of this showing me his Bayman explaining how he was linking all his inescapable stun attacks together to form a inescapable combo. Also showing me combos that the computer couldn't tech fast enough making it a natural combo.

Before I start learning combos I tend to just do all the moves in my move list multiple times to learn how it's used and the properties it holds. Learning all me key moves that are safe, crushes, giving frame advantage and punish really help. When learning combos I try to set up the dummy to various locations, people need to realize that there's a lot of different areas on the playing field and not just the usual danger zones. At Summer Jam, Mr.Wah was showing me a death combo using Bass on the Home stage utilizing the ceiling, walls, chairs, beds, floor, everything. What most people tend to do is to continue practicing their combos right where they are and continue off that.

Also after learning my combos I switch to the other side and do the same thing, some people tend to just do combos on the player 1 side and muscle memory kicks in and tends to screw them over. Another thing I see people doing wrong is that they're practicing combos in optimal situations that are convenient for them and never practicing in certain situations this is where recording usually comes into play. I always try to modify the combos in some sort of way or stop the combos when its safe. The last thing I try to practice is not to do combos but try to learn various techs that the characters has and techs against other characters. I thank CyberEvil and VirtuaPai for teaching me various things with Tina who I only wanted to main at first due to the fact she's a blonde bombshell and now play her seriously lol.

Sorry for the rant I didn't realized I typed so much lol, but these are just the simple things I do in training mode and what I usually do for almost every fighting game I play, so I just wanted to know how everyone else uses training mode and what they tend to train against. Any feedback helps because I may learn something new in the long run and I'd like to thank the DOA5 community that was at Summer Jam because if it wasn't for them taking the time teaching a noob like me what to learn and how to properly play I probably wouldn't be typing up this rant. :D

Drake Aldan

Training mode is pretty vital.

1) Play play play!
2) Get the replays when you lose! Even if you have to put your phone in front of your TV to record it, just make it so you can watch it later!
3) Watch the replays! Look closely and try and see what you did wrong. (I don't know about you, but I can't think about what I'm doing wrong until after I finish playing!)
4) Training mode! Find out how to fix what you did wrong.
5) Go back to step 1.

Set up a feedback loop, and you'll skill up like lightning. You find and attack your weaknesses until you don't have any.

Brute

Standard Donor
Unlike Drake, typically the second I fuck up I know what I did wrong and regret it.

Honestly, I practice a lot with characters I fight AGAINST, to better learn their strengths and weaknesses and what to exploit. The record feature is very useful for practicing against certain moves that snag you in real matches.

I also practice timing to try and put everything into muscle memory. For example, I typically don't think "Oh, the best poke move I want is ______ command." It's typically just a reaction thing for me having done it so much in training. "I want that move to happen." Move happens.

I also work on distancing/spacing. Figuring out how far each of my moves (and my enemies') can reach and how easy they are to see coming or defend against.

I also practice Izunas a lot... >_>

Brute

Standard Donor
I always play VS com for practicing so I can get better. :)
I wouldn't recommend it. Fighting the com is almost like playing an entirely different game. The tactics you use and the playstyle of the AI is so much different from another player.

I guess it can help for reaction time/muscle memory, but that's about all I can think of.

Chaos

I wouldn't recommend it. Fighting the com is almost like playing an entirely different game. The tactics you use and the playstyle of the AI is so much different from another player.

I guess it can help for reaction time/muscle memory, but that's about all I can think of.
I already know that lol but when I first played DOA5 I wasnt all that good but now my skills is getting better. Right now Im
trying to kill the bad habit, which is basicly throwing out a counter hold randomly. (I don't have internet right now :( using my moble phone).

Brute

Standard Donor
No :( anyway, how good online is? Is it difficult to move around & counter hold? Is it better than DOAD?
Didn't play Dimensions. That really depends on your connection and your opponent's. It can be pretty smooth, or a slideshow. Fast agility can be compromising with the connection lag.
Counters are much less spam-friendly than they were in 4. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you won't get anywhere using them.

Chaos

Didn't play Dimensions. That really depends on your connection and your opponent's. It can be pretty smooth, or a slideshow. Fast agility can be compromising with the connection lag.
Counters are much less spam-friendly than they were in 4. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you won't get anywhere using them.
So I guess DOA5 online is a improvement compared to DOA4 & people still send players threat message because they lost to someone who is better than them? LOL

Brute

Standard Donor
So I guess DOA5 online is a improvement compared to DOA4 & people still send players threat message because they lost to someone who is better than them? LOL
Yeah, they still do that...

d3v

Do what the best players of any fighting game do. Practice the basics.

True story, during EVO2k12, after hours before the tournament, while everyone else was doing combos in training, teammates Laugh and Infiltration spent the whole time practicing nothing but the basics, movement, basics approaches, basic setups. The result, Laugh and Infiltration won SFxTekken and Infitration dominated at SSFIV AE2012. Same thing with EVO2k12 UMvC3 champion Filipino Champ who I've personally seen spend half an hour doing nothing but wavedashes and plink dashes, and the next half hour practicing safe landings. I'm sure it's the same for folks from other games as well.

Yaguar

Pretty sure I don't maximise my training experience but I do use it for a few things.
Input Training: Building grabs and the timings into muscle memory from both sides.
I also use it to break things I have already such as with Mila hitting T from 4K, I want to be able to cancel that more often than I do on a hit so I'll have a pre-recording of me doing some blocking on the other and then watch for hits and 4K TH P instead of just whiffing a takedown.

Recently I've been putting in some standard combo's for the computer and finding out where I can and can't sidestep them or where sidestep -> throwdown is viable. Example is Tina's 6PP6K. You can dodge the 6K if you're blocking or 6PP hits at normal hit. Dodging the first 6P will get you hit by the next punch and so on.

Frame Data + Excel document. Did a lot of that for the first week.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD