How's DoA5U right now?

Edmund

What is a force tech?
I'm new to DOA. Would be nice if someone explains to me what it is. I tried googling to no avail.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

What is a force tech?
I'm new to DOA. Would be nice if someone explains to me what it is. I tried googling to no avail.

A force(d) tech is when you hit an opponent just as they touch the ground, falling down, and the hit forces them to get right back up (tech). This leaves the attacker (you) at an advantage. It was present in DOA5, now almost gone from DOA5U. A pseudo force tech is when you hit an opponent that is already laying on the ground, not getting up voluntarily, forcing them up. It was also easier to do in 5 vanilla.

Last edited:

Malfury

They probably want to emulate some VF elements without some of the potential brokeness? I was a little salty when I saw Jacky is still able to kinda "worm" their opponents (I forget the technical term) for combos when Pai can't anymore lol.

David Gregg

They probably want to emulate some VF elements without some of the potential brokeness? I was a little salty when I saw Jacky is still able to kinda "worm" their opponents (I forget the technical term) for combos when Pai can't anymore lol.

You mean his 4H+K? (the kick that bounces them back up to continue a combo). Pai can do that as well just not as many times (from what I've seen during fights).

Malfury

Her 46H+K bounds or staggers, his kick puts them more of a pseudo standing stun position. I'll go find the term when I get a chance. I'm at work right now.

Argentus

All FTs do is limit options on wakeup, something competitive players have been doing since SFII. The important part is that the initiative is with the attacking player, not the one on the ground. Giving knocked down players the ability to low hold does the opposite and steals the initiative from the player that knocked them down.

I always saw it as a built in referee. Like in actual fights, when one is curbatomping the ref breaks it up for a second so the defender can gwt back in the game. Wakeup functioned the same, a chance for the defender to get back in the game.

But like, a kokoro just got to do over half my health by just continuously attacking me with juggles and force techs, so there was nothing I could do as my character flops around helplessly. What the hell is supposed to be competitive or balanced about that? Combos should end when the opponent hits the ground (dropping a combo), not be able to just continue regardless.

Malfury

I always saw it as a built in referee. Like in actual fights, when one is curbatomping the ref breaks it up for a second so the defender can gwt back in the game. Wakeup functioned the same, a chance for the defender to get back in the game.

But like, a kokoro just got to do over half my health by just continuously attacking me with juggles and force techs, so there was nothing I could do as my character flops around helplessly. What the hell is supposed to be competitive or balanced about that? Combos should end when the opponent hits the ground (dropping a combo), not be able to just continue regardless.
w

Situational awareness is more important in this game than most. Start studying and understanding common setups and followups after an FT to have a better chance. Getting damage for free is the goal in all fighting games, gotta learn how to defend against any shenanigans and tech that comes your way. Just the way it is.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor

Dude you have a scrubby mindset. Kokoro doesn't have any force techs that scare me its all situational. I'd hate if you could counter on the ground lmao

Chapstick

How would floor holds even work? You get up or roll when you use :h:. Or would rolls become invincible and counter hold anything that touched them during the frames?

KingGhidorah

If ever such a thing came to exist, I'd take the game straight to TN headquarters, find whoever put such a dumb thing in, and proceed to make him take the game right up his ass and then have it removed so he can see the bullshit produced.

If you are so bad to where you'd need such a ridiculous mechanic, just please leave and never come back... -_-

Argentus

w

Situational awareness is more important in this game than most. Start studying and understanding common setups and followups after an FT to have a better chance. Getting damage for free is the goal in all fighting games, gotta learn how to defend against any shenanigans and tech that comes your way. Just the way it is.

I know that's how it is, I just wish that the game was better than that. Venting at the shallowness of the current system, is all.

Argentus

How would floor holds even work? You get up or roll when you use :h:. Or would rolls become invincible and counter hold anything that touched them during the frames?

Be just like it was before. just perform a low hold while lying down.

d3v

I'm guessing you've never heard of resets where you intentionally drop a combo to put your opponent in an unfavorable mixup to start another combo and 'reset' any scaling combo count limiter. Happens in alot of games.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
If you're on the ground, you better wake up blocking. None of this safe wakeup kick crap. It should be -120 on block. If I'm being aggressive and you read that I'm gonna start an attack early so it hits meaty, then you wakeup kick and regain the initiative. Otherwise, sit your ass down and block, 'cause if I knock you down, I set the pace. No reason why someone on the ground should be at an advantage over someone standing up. Having to bait a wakeup kick by jumping over, backdashing out of range, etc. is just slowing down the game.

Argentus

I think it's not necessary honestly.

Its just the first thing that comes to mind to help the current system. I can't see it doing anything but making things better overall.

Just don't like the current emphasis on "kick em while they are down". There's just so much inherently wrong with that.

Argentus

If you're on the ground, you better wake up blocking. None of this safe wakeup kick crap. It should be -120 on block. If I'm being aggressive and you read that I'm gonna start an attack early so it hits meaty, then you wakeup kick and regain the initiative. Otherwise, sit your ass down and block, 'cause if I knock you down, I set the pace. No reason why someone on the ground should be at an advantage over someone standing up. Having to bait a wakeup kick by jumping over, backdashing out of range, etc. is just slowing down the game.

Im okay with that. Just stupid for the attacker to get to continue to attack a downed opponent. Should be limited to down attacks that don't force tech.

If they need to just make less attacks down the opponent to balance it though, thats a whole other can of worms.

Yegar

I understand the frustration of waking up being murder with force techs existing but HOW DARE A GAME EXPECT YOU TO KNOW HOW TO PLAY IT! The goal is to beat the enemy with taking as little damage as possible. You have the same advantage they do if you knock them down so it seems to me that some higher form of thinking would suggest just not getting grounded. Playing a more calculated game IS what people should do so i for one support being brutally punished for making mistakes. It bothers me when people would rather complain than just adapt. Look at MvC2 players. That game was the most broken shit ever and they loved it. Food for thought

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD