I hit a wall with this game, but Idk what it is. Or how to get over it.

Lulu

That's my last response in relation to your posts because I don't want to get off-topic. Since the TO stated in his first post that he has the feeling of getting too predictable and was asking for tips how to break habits, I'd say that telling him ignoring certain threats (in terms of launchers or hit types) and just hold always mid instead isn't the right response because that implies exactly the opposite of what helps him to get better: Paying attention to what the opponent actually does.

And if you see my answers as kind of 'undermining' of your statements, so be it, since you did not come up with any real arguments except that "it's not a bad strategy".

He could've been talking about his offensive habbits.
And I did say it was contextual didn't I ? Or maybe I didn't.... my bad.... but I never said he should do the exact same thing with every character.... just that there's somethings an opponent won't do depending on the situation..... I don't know much about Kasumi but some launchers cause wall splats...... but if hers is anything like Alpha's then thats one more option he doesn't need to stress over.

POWERDRAGON6

Well thanks to you both LuLu and TokyoPewPew for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. I'm sensing high tension between you two though, plz stahp D:

I've calmed down quite a bit since last time and see that I need, above all things is to just be familiar with what characters can do after what kind of stuns at what levels. However I'll still need to train my reactions (especially towards the virtua fighter characters. I could never EVER tell when they're going for a grab) somehow, jeez this game is fast.

It's funny because I play a lot of 2D anime fighting games that require on point reflexes to block things like short hops feints to crouching low openers, dash over-over crossups and what not. I'm going to dive deeper into the stun system (which is what I should have done from the start) I feel like and old man playing sometimes T . T

And about my habits, I still feel like a deer in the headlights in a real fight. But like KING JAIMY said, I'll just have to consistently and constantly do command training so that I can make full use my character's move-set. And maybe play people who are on my level, while gradually moving up. Though that's hard to find now since there so many that play this game, have been doing so for a long time.

I won't give up though guys, thnx again.

Lulu

oh one last thing..... you'l notice the VF Characters are skilled at delaying their attacks.
When you perform a hold while in a stun.... you are extending the duration of whatever stun you're in even though you can't see it... I hope that makes sense because thats how the VF Characters get ya.... stagger escaping works particularly well on them.... even though I don't do it myself.

LoL.... I completely forgot about the enviroment...... there are scenarios where if you are deep into a stun then the opponent has even more options then ever..... and thats when theres a danger zone or destructible object behind you... remember this when you're in The Home Stage because you'l be sorrounded by all sorts of hazards in all directions.

Last edited by a moderator:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Staying in training mode for hours doesn't feel AT ALL like it's making me improve, I don't think I've ever felt that way in any fighting game. It's so strange.

That is probably because no one has really bothered to whip up a video tutorial on how to use DOA5's training mode, to at least give players and new players an idea of what they can use it for. Because this game's training mode is pretty godlike and is where I spend all my time on the game whenever I'm not playing anyone.

Something I've wanted to do but never had a chance to, was to do a small video of training mode to give players an idea of things they can do or play around with. I might do something like that some time after I stream my Ayane tutorial.

POWERDRAGON6

That is probably because no one has really bothered to whip up a video tutorial on how to use DOA5's training mode, to at least give players and new players an idea of what they can use it for. Because this game's training mode is pretty godlike and is where I spend all my time on the game whenever I'm not playing anyone.

Something I've wanted to do but never had a chance to, was to do a small video of training mode to give players an idea of things they can do or play around with. I might do something like that some time after I stream my Ayane tutorial.

First of I just want to tell you that your Honoka tutorial really helped me out....though....I've literally not been able to win a single match with her yet ^_^; since rank is dead I can only turn to lobbies.....that are full of S rank Kasumis and Rachels lol.

I use the training mode to a good degree, like recording and playing back character strings that I have problems dealing with. Turning on slow-fast stagger escape to see whats guaranteed. Doing my combos in network speed so that when I go online I can at least deal SOME damage. Just simple stuff like that.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Nice, glad to hear my tutorial was useful for you. :)

Good, you're on the right track then. I guess, if you feel there is more you want to try utilizing in training mode, feel free to ask me and I shall provide answers to the best of my ability.

Also off-topic; if you feel like playing right now, I'm on PS4/PSN.

Lulu

We Would Really Really Really Really appreciate that so much. :D
I actually already use The Training tools casually just to test a few simple things but it would be nice to know more.

POWERDRAGON6

Nice, glad to hear my tutorial was useful for you. :)

Good, you're on the right track then. I guess, if you feel there is more you want to try utilizing in training mode, feel free to ask me and I shall provide answers to the best of my ability.

Also off-topic; if you feel like playing right now, I'm on PS4/PSN.

Would be an honor playing with one of the best Ayanes in the business :)

Soaring Zero

I worry about being too predictable myself sometimes. When something works for me I tend to use it more often than I probably should which leads me to falling into patterns sometimes. It takes practice to kind of train yourself out of habits like that. For me it helps to go to training mode and just practice my characters various moves and mixups. It helps me to better remember all of my options.

Lulu

I worry about being too predictable myself sometimes. When something works for me I tend to use it more often than I probably should which leads me to falling into patterns sometimes. It takes practice to kind of train yourself out of habits like that. For me it helps to go to training mode and just practice my characters various moves and mixups. It helps me to better remember all of my options.

Don't you hate it when you land a beautiful critical burst or launcher and then you just freeze.... its been happening to me alot lately.

SoftCabbage

Dude, late reply here, but just wanna share something as a noob player who has been regularly playing DOA in the late months.

First of all, I gotta say this: If you have a busy college or work life, get out of Online mode. Save your breath, play Offline or find a fellow DOA newbie friend.

Secondly, based on my experience, Critical Stun is a result of being hit over time, getting hit by strong attack (like Tina's lariat), or getting hit first when you're attempting to attack/counter. Critical Stun still allows you to do Counter Attack, while Critical Burst (Red with different sound effect) is when you'll pray that you can just fall down and be done with it.

Btw, some like Akira, Jacky, Pai Chan, Helena, Brad Wong, Eliot, Alpha are hard to predict and can be a complete ass to fight against. Your best bet is to keep range and find an opening or, well... try block/counter..

My suggestion: Stay offline and play VS Mode. In there, you can set the difficulty according to your desire as well as showing move list on-screen. I normally set 4 or 5 so CPU can actively fight. Just choose random as your opponent and select Fight Again when you're done. The game will load different character and this is where you'll practice and knowing what's best to do with certain character, how to counter such incoming moves, train your tricks, and most importantly, completely understand the characters' attack range.

Last edited:

Lulu

Dude, late reply here, but just wanna share something as a noob player who has been regularly playing DOA in the late months.

First of all, I gotta say this: If you have a busy college or work life, get out of Online mode. Save your breath, play Offline or find a fellow DOA newbie friend.

Secondly, based on my experience, Critical Stun is a result of being hit over time, getting hit by strong attack (like Tina's lariat), or getting hit first when you're attempting to attack/counter. Critical Stun still allows you to do Counter Attack, while Critical Burst (Red with different sound effect) is when you'll pray that you can just fall down and be done with it.

Btw, some like Akira, Jacky, Pai Chan, Helena, Brad Wong, Eliot, Alpha are hard to predict and can be a complete ass to fight against. Your best bet is to keep range and find an opening or, well... try block/counter..

My suggestion: Stay offline and play VS Mode. In there, you can set the difficulty according to your desire as well as showing move list on-screen. I normally set 4 or 5 so CPU can actively fight. Just choose random as your opponent and select Next Fight when you're done. This is where you'll practice and knowing what's best to do with certain character, how to counter such incoming moves, train your tricks, and most importantly, completely understand the characters' attack range.

And you can record the fights in VS mode. :)

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
First I wanna say I'm new to the DOA community, so nice to meet you.

Regarding fighting games in general I'm no newbie. But this game is really hard to get a hang of. I would say my biggest problem is defense and the fact that I tend to go on auto pilot during matches, so I become predictable, I'm not sure how to break this habit, I don't feel like I'm getting any better.

What in gods name am I supposed to do when stunned? I know this question has probably been asked a lot but I really need to hear it from you guys on this site. I wouldn't really appreciate trolly answers like "just block" "are you randomly spamming hold?"

I'm eventually going to get stunned from counter hit sometime, is that gg after that? How in the world am I supposed to anticipate what someone wants to do? Button mashers and people with obvious attack patterns are no biggie for me, but what about a crazy Helena or Alpha player who mixes it up so good?

Some attacks come out so fast half the time Idk what the hell is happening or how i got stunned, especially from Akira or Kasumi

I really do feel like holding is just a guessing game, that's one reason why I know a lot of people turn away from this series. Is there something that high level players are doing to minimize risks that I'm not aware of? I know I probably sound like I'm complaining but there is a little venting going on here. I'm extremely seasoned in Street fighter and Tekken. But the experience from those games don't help at all.

Is online just a bad place to be getting experience in general?

I think you have the theory, but not the mentality yet.

Blocking is, in theory, the worst option in this game for most characters. But standard fighting game logic tells us its the safest road to victory. Here that just isn't the case usually. Throw punishment damage is low, and because of a lack of throw breaks for most things you're pretty much just waiting to get exposed by something.

Instead, be aggressive with your defense. You need a mentality shift. Start looking at your opponents moves as your own. When you do that, you start to see the patterns easier and everything they do is a liability. The hold system suddenly becomes really damn good, and when combined with specific lethal crushes you can shut someone down in a very painful way.

Holding isn't your only option out of stun. If you're fighting someone who does throw resets like Helena, for example, don't forget you can strike out of stun and blow them the hell up. Pretend you're a hold spamming asshat and then the next time you get stunned buffer in your most fucked up single-hit strike that guarantees the most followup damage on hi-counter.

Get into the mindset of screwing with a persons habits and you'll stop playing on autopilot, and they'll be eating a lot of damage you -know- was from a read and not some random guess.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I think you have the theory, but not the mentality yet.

Blocking is, in theory, the worst option in this game for most characters. But standard fighting game logic tells us its the safest road to victory. Here that just isn't the case usually. Throw punishment damage is low, and because of a lack of throw breaks for most things you're pretty much just waiting to get exposed by something.

Instead, be aggressive with your defense. You need a mentality shift. Start looking at your opponents moves as your own. When you do that, you start to see the patterns easier and everything they do is a liability. The hold system suddenly becomes really damn good, and when combined with specific lethal crushes you can shut someone down in a very painful way.

Holding isn't your only option out of stun. If you're fighting someone who does throw resets like Helena, for example, don't forget you can strike out of stun and blow them the hell up. Pretend you're a hold spamming asshat and then the next time you get stunned buffer in your most fucked up single-hit strike that guarantees the most followup damage on hi-counter.

Get into the mindset of screwing with a persons habits and you'll stop playing on autopilot, and they'll be eating a lot of damage you -know- was from a read and not some random guess.

Pretty much this, except that throw punishment for certain characters is very good and some end up relying on it, though usually these type of characters can also make liberal use of their holds thanks to their good damage.

Bayman on the other hand can just use holds instead of blocking since he needs only three or four good holds to end a match. Same goes for Leifang, I guess.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD