Ideas for someone to main?

Argentus

If they gave Mila the fighting style that Rig uses, and if they gave Mila better costumes then she would have been my main for sure. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Unfortunately that is not the case. The reality is she has a very boring and very limited move set. (I don't care how effective her move set is, boring is boring). And then there are her costumes. The design team over at Team Ninja must have hit a case of designers block or something when they designed the costumes for Mila, Momiji and Hitomi. These three characters get the worst costumes in the entire game, IMHO. If I had to use one word to describe the costumes of these three characters they would be: Mila's costumes = manly; Hitomi's costumes = boring; Momiji's costumes = ugly.

TN really missed a huge opportunity here. Mila + less-manly-looking costumes + Rig's fighting style = epically cool character. Mila and Rig's fighting styles should have been swapped.

This is what I want to do to you right now.

1500929_1381442092106182_422462781_o.jpg

Seriously, the cute boyish girl having one of the most satisfyingly brutal and efficient fighting styles in the series is the entire reason I even bothered getting doa5 after Leon was removed

If Mila was just another generic kick chick by swapping styles with rig, I likely would not have even ever bought doa5.

She and Leon are the only characters who I don't find myself being bored when I play as.

Mila was obviously meant to look boyish in the first place while Hitomi is a casually-dressed plain jane girly-girl. It's how they are made. If you're expecting them to dress provocatively (Tina, Christie, Rachel) or look regal (Helena), then you're obviously wrong.

Exactly.

I love my badass tomboy.

Brute

Standard Donor
Mila does not look boyish or even tomboyish. Unless you consider skinny jeans, checkers/plaid, intentionally worn/torn clothing, long/jagged bangs and two-tone dyed hair to be "boyish." I, however, do not. If anything it's closest to the "emo" fashion culture which I certainly wouldn't consider "boyish," "tomboyish" or "manly." It's more androgynous, erring on the side of feminine if anything. And Mila's outfits certainly aren't "manly."

Argentus

Mila does not look boyish or even tomboyish. Unless you consider skinny jeans, checkers/plaid, intentionally worn/torn clothing, long/jagged bangs and two-tone dyed hair to be "boyish." I, however, do not. If anything it's closest to the "emo" fashion culture which I certainly wouldn't consider "boyish," "tomboyish" or "manly." It's more androgynous, erring on the side of feminine if anything. And Mila's outfits certainly aren't "manly."
Wait. So just having dyed hair is enough to qualify as emo to you?

I consider her boyish because well...she is lol. Her c2 looks more like a guys outfit, the shorter hairstyle is boyish (as opposed to say, Lisa and Christie's distinctly feminine businessewoman hairstyles). I mean there's a reason for the "boyish short hair" term lol. Then her fighting style is the arguably most brutal style (most females in fighting games use showy acrobatic or articulate styles, not something practical and brutal).

I mean she's no gijane but she's certainly a tomboy when compared to the rest of the cast.

And wouldn't Androgynous be more like King? mila is very blatantly a girl, just with some boyish interests.

Brute

Standard Donor
Wait. So just having dyed hair is enough to qualify as emo to you?
1) skinny jeans
2) checkers/plaid
3) intentionally worn/torn clothing
4) long/jagged bangs
5) (also) two-tone dyed hair

There is absolutely nothing boyish about Mila, unless you want to consider practicing martial arts to be boyish. That's a trait shared by every female in the game, however.

mpgeist

Standard Donor
I always figured Mila to be more original punk than emo (she seems slightly old fashioned in her tastes). Maybe straightedge or something.

Brute

Standard Donor
I always figured Mila to be more original punk than emo (she seems slightly old fashioned in her tastes). Maybe straightedge or something.
Yeah, I could see that argument being made, too.

But either way, it's not really a "masculine" or "boyish" theme.

David Gregg

Mila reminds me of those pretty actresses who pretend to be geeks on TV (with glasses and the like) even though it's clear that they're not. You can give her short hair and flannel but she still falls under the typical DOA girl category. Even the majority of her "boyish" outfits show off her body. I think spunky is a better word for her.

Now Mother Russia on the other hand...

kick-ass-2-photo-5214edc69ebf9.jpg

Argentus

1) skinny jeans
2) checkers/plaid
3) intentionally worn/torn clothing
4) long/jagged bangs
5) (also) two-tone dyed hair

There is absolutely nothing boyish about Mila, unless you want to consider practicing martial arts to be boyish. That's a trait shared by every female in the game, however.

Only that last one is kinda related to emo.

Rest of that I would associate more with rock. Also her jeans are relatively baggy. Its hitomis that are skinny.

I dunno I look at her and see the boyish casually dressed rocker girls from back home.

Punk could work. More so in her bass cosplay.

Mila reminds me of those pretty actresses who pretend to be geeks on TV (with glasses and the like) even though it's clear that they're not. You can give her short hair and flannel but she still falls under the typical DOA girl category. Even the majority of her "boyish" outfits show off her body. I think spunky is a better word for her.

Now Mother Russia on the other hand...

kick-ass-2-photo-5214edc69ebf9.jpg
No see that's Butch, there's a difference lol.

I can agree with Spunky.

Either way I still say she's the most boyish of all the girls. Definite tomboy qualities compared to the rest of the girls.

Or would it be better for me to use another term like bokukko or ladette or something?

I bet if Mila had long hair, no one would see her as masculine.

So long as she still looked like a rough and rowdy brawler beating people down in her c2, I would.

Here's my question. Its been two years. Why argue about her status NOW?

Brute

Standard Donor
I dunno I look at her and see the boyish casually dressed rocker girls from back home.
And that's just it. She's doesn't look "boyish." No boys look like that. She looks like girls who don't look like boys, that for some reason you're calling "boyish," despite not looking boyish at all.

Either way I still say she's the most boyish of all the girls. Definite tomboy qualities compared to the rest of the girls.
She no more tomboyish than Hitomi.

Mila being a tomboy is just something that Mila players came up with to make her seem special and make themselves seem unique and different for appreciating her.

Argentus

And that's just it. She's doesn't look "boyish." No boys look like that. She looks like girls who don't look like boys, that for some reason you're calling "boyish," despite not looking boyish at all.

She no more tomboyish than Hitomi.

Mila being a tomboy is just something that Mila players came up with to make her seem special and make themselves seem unique and different for appreciating her.
If you wanna look at it that way, feel free.

I know I'm not the only one who sees her this way. Hell even tvtropes has her tagged for Boyish Short Hair and Tomboy. And much like I do, citing her c2 and fighting style as prime reasons. Or more specifically, how she is one of if not the only female in the game not to employ Waif Fu for combat.

She looks, dresses, and acts like the tomboys I grew up with, so that's my reasoning.

Pictured Mind

I honestly have no idea why we're talking about this but here we go. Mila has kind of a "scene kid" look to me.

If you ever go to a concert by a hardcore band or genres like metalcore, post-hardcore, punk rock or even pop punk, you will see loads of people who look like Mila in terms of clothing and hair. Basically if you wear a checkered shirt, ripped jeans and dye your hair black (maybe with some other weird color like red) you fit right in with those people. It's not the most extreme style but whatever. I look like a straight up hipster when I go to a concert like that but that's besides the point.

However I can't imagine Mila in a moshpit... unfortunately.

Straight edge is basically just not using any type of recreational drug. As far as I know this started in punk or hardcore punk music, so that's why it's usually associated with that type of music. However anyone can be straight edge.

Don't get me started! I will say prepare to be rushed to hell and back!! hahaha!

On the other hand you have one of the best rushdown characters as well.

Last edited:

Pictured Mind

That may be but I can be stopped! If this is were so with everybody else, nobody would boast about how easy it is to stop Alpha! (Even you know she's too easy to beat!) Most don't take into account how dangerous rushing down actually is!

She has amazing offense so she needs bad defense to balance it out. Not to mention her defense is actually not that bad. She has non damaging holds and damaging ones and she can punish stuff that no one else can. As far as I know she can punish stuff like Brad's running P and Helena's 33P4P with a low throw.

Also the statement of "she is predictable" is bullshit. I don't know why Alpha players keep saying that. The character is not predictable, the player is. I don't want to turn this into an Alpha discussion so I'll just stop here.

Of course this isn't all directed to you, just in general.

Intelligent Alpha

She has amazing offense so she needs bad defense to balance it out. Not to mention her defense is actually not that bad. She has non damaging holds and damaging ones and she can punish stuff that no one else can. As far as I know she can punish stuff like Brad's running P and Helena's 33P4P with a low throw.

Also the statement of "she is predictable" is bullshit. I don't know why Alpha players keep saying that. The character is not predictable, the player is. I don't want to turn this into an Alpha discussion so I'll just stop here.

Of course this isn't all directed to you, just in general.

I know this, this is why her mix-up game is crucial and I mean the eons of ways to do it! I was just being sarcastic! I was saying if the OP so chooses her, "Good Luck!" (She's not easy to win with, best rushdown character be damned. IDC who's playing her)

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
But I play Virtua Fighter...we need more of the Brad Show in DOA.
CHECKMATE!

Back on topic, play Leon for more than a week. You may come to find him as a favorite (seems like everybody who tries him out more than a couple days loves him). Yeah he isn't a female but everybody needs to play a male character (that isn't a ninja).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD