If and when the DOA reboot comes out, would long-term fans still play it?

What does the future hold for a DOA reboot?

• Total voters

TheHunterKiller692

It's been a good 7 months or so since we had that G-Star keynote basically saying: "Yeah, we got DOA and NG reboots on the table." (Idk why anyone would reboot Ninja Gaiden AGAIN, but OK.), and the community divide over DOA 6 is still tearing people apart from each other. Some think that it's the worst game in the series (Idk, I think 4 was the worst, by far.), and then there's those who play day in and day out to help support TN. I'm just not one of either, as in truth, DOA 6 was decent, but not a showstopper by a long shot. I like some of the stages, the Quest mode is pretty good, and the extras are worth the download, but story mode? Eh. Not really.

But, if DOA is ACTUALLY successful in the FGC scene and not just being doomed to get curb-stomped by the forthcoming Tekken 8, then chances are that TN'll have enough money out the wazoo to make something that, hopefully, we've never seen before.

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
It depends on a number of factors I think. If they were to do a literal Reboot of the first game, with only the characters that came with the first game, then it'll flop hard (hell, I won't even bother downloading the free version if my Science Queen isn't there).

If they decide to incorporate the newer characters, then I think it has a chance to succeed. I think it would be best overall though if they just decide to continue the story on to DOA7. I think reboots in general are a bit of a cop-out anyway (although I did actually like the Evangelion Rebuilds better than the OG series).

Gultigargar

For a hypothetical new DOA game to stand a chance - be it a reboot or a DOA7 - I think they'd need to have two changes happen for it to work out:
1) For Koei Tecmo to actually give them enough money and time to make a finished game, so we don't get a repeat of how it went with DOA5 and especially DOA6.
2) A different battle director from the guy who was in charge of DOA6. From my point of view, Akihiro Nakamura just didn't really seem to know what he wanted the game to be.

My guess is neither a Ninja Gaiden or DOA game is actually being worked on or is even planned, though.

P2p1mbs

The poll needs an "it depends" type reply. There is no way of knowing a definitive answer as of now.

I wouldn't mind seeing a soft reboot woth existing characters (minus Jann) but how successful the game will be entirely depends on what kind of changes they make.

DyByHands

It was rough going from 5 to 6, both from just the game itself and the fanbase. I feel like theres not really anywhere for them to really go that would be a success in todays world.
But no matter, ill be there for any new game.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
If it's a reboot, definitely yes since it'll be something new but at this point I think generally everyone just wants a new DOA game, reboot, sequel or anything in general xD

However they'll have to take the criticism they got from DOA6 and hopefully expand upon and work on fixing what the fans didn't like rather than sweeping issues under the rug. And hopefully a reboot could help the story since DOA6 story mode was giving Gacha the entire time with how scenes were structured and how abrupt the scenes would end or start in some cases which broke that immersion.

And the DLC structure needs to change too, paid hair recolors was very bad and the revival DLC series was OK but they definitely could have chose better older packs to use.... you can NOT convince me that the Santa dress DLC was somehow popular enough to return. XD and the fresh DLC was bad too, only the wedding, and Sci fi packs were remotely OK, the other stuff was just plain or they missed an opportunity to bring in older popular dlc or better options like how they were very limited in their fan design choices

TheHunterKiller692

For a hypothetical new DOA game to stand a chance - be it a reboot or a DOA7 - I think they'd need to have two changes happen for it to work out:
1) For Koei Tecmo to actually give them enough money and time to make a finished game, so we don't get a repeat of how it went with DOA5 and especially DOA6.
2) A different battle director altogether. From my point of view, Akihiro Nakamura just didn't really seem to know what he wanted the game to be.
At this point, I'm conflicted, since I LIKE DOA 5, but you could argue it's for surface-level reasons, but then again, I haven't been the biggest fan of Itagaki's games in their entirety, but I think the fanbase would still be more upset if there was a pride month thing going on officially.

Adding to this confusion, in my opinion, is the lack of a consensus on the Western half. Some like the newer games, some don't.

They'll have to take the criticism they got from DOA6 and hopefully expand upon and work on fixing what the fans didn't like rather than sweeping issues under the rug. And hopefully a reboot could help the story since DOA6 story mode was giving Gacha the entire time with how scenes were structured. And the DLC structure needs to change too, paid hair recolors was very bad and the revival DLC series was OK, but they definitely could have chose better older packs to use. And the fresh DLC was bad too, only the wedding, and Sci fi packs were remotely OK, the other stuff was just plain or they missed an opportunity to bring in older popular official fan-design DLC.
I liked the Seaside Eden costumes to some extent. But, yeah, the rest of that was pretty spot-on. However, the Santa DLC was gonna get brought back to celebrate Christmas as a holiday, so I'm not against the idea. But, considering the variety of swimsuits that they added in 5 from Xtreme 2, it seems weird how none of those got reissued.

The poll needs an "it depends" type reply. There is no way of knowing a definitive answer as of now.

I wouldn't mind seeing a soft reboot woth existing characters (minus Jann) but how successful the game will be entirely depends on what kind of changes they make.
I forgot to do that, but you're absolutely right about no guarantees. I'm just trying to take a shot in the dark and hope I don't miss.

Kasumi-Phase-X

Assuming were getting a DOA Reboot (since there was something about "Reboot of Popular Series" which had pictures of NG & DOA for examples, but doesn't 100% suggests that their going to these 2 games specifically) at #86:

When comes to long term fans still play DOA Reboot, it 100% depends on how both KT & TN handles the new game. The only way I'd ever play the new DOA game is if their marketing 100% focuses on Sex Appeal, their Costumes are 100% exactly the same as the previous version (for example Rachel's Fiend Costume showed bare skin which DOA6 covered up & Phase-4 Arnice had a transformation that showed bare skin that DOA6 took out) even if means recycle/copy paste outfits from previous games along with their features (like clothing destruction, transformation, & swimsuit malfunctions), the game will only available in Japan & Asia (no Worldwide/Western releases because Western branches would've tone sex appeal down). I would also prefer if FGC scene weren't a priority for DOA after DOA6 with their mishandling the franchises direction and Core Values situation when EVO decided to cut the stream which features the real girls and showing off the photo mode. Any game with push for EVO/eSports is worst than Microtransactions.

If TN & KT can't do any of My requests, they should do themselves the favor and a 2nd fighting game that plays like DOA but doesn't have the characters and isn't called DOA.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Reboot into what? Frankly they should just go all in on the fanservice. Develop a killer graphics engine, load that shit to the hilt with cosmetics. Accessories, costumes, hair colors, hair styles, etc. Make a Barbie game look embarrassed it has Barbie in the title. Have a super robust camera/gravure mode.

Maybe include a fighting game, but not once has TN ever made a competent fighting game that is competitively viable, so give up the pretense. It's the Mario Kart of fighters.

Frankly my hope is Venus Vacation 2 with hyper-reaslitic graphics.

TheHunterKiller692

Frankly, they should just go all in on the fanservice. Develop a killer graphics engine, costumes, hair colors, hair styles, etc. Have a super robust camera/gravure mode.
You do realize that DOA games aren't easy nor cheap to make. I will admit these are some solid ideas. but you're missing a few key ingredients:

*Rollback Netcode should be mandated for ANY DOA fighting game, numbered or not.

*The ability to turn off cross-play and a queue for beginners starting out so they don't get stomped into the ground, like you would in Tekken. Training mode should complement this greatly.

*Overhauled danger zones that complement the horsepower provided this console generation, as well as that of high-end PCs. I'm not exactly a fan of "Get knocked over once and fall several feet onto a floor that 99% results in a KO.", which was abused in earlier games far too often. (I'm looking at you, Lorelei from DOA 3.)

*Despite my prior sentiments hinting at canning story mode, I'm actually considering a bit of a different approach to the chapter select in DOA 5's story mode. Some fights should be considered optional on the side while not interfering with the canon narrative, whereas 6 gave you a flow-chart that was all over the place, half the time.

*I think it couldn't hurt to have the MK-style "Select one character or the other" cinematics to some degree, but only for pairings like Ayasumi (Ayane X Kasumi) that not only give you different story beats, but also allow for tag scenarios that are preferably used sparingly.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
You do realize that DOA games aren't easy nor cheap to make.

Sure they are. They gave DOA5 a stick of gum budget. DOA6 got half the stick.

*Rollback Netcode should be mandated for ANY DOA fighting game, numbered or not.
Yes...

*The ability to turn off cross-play and a queue for beginners starting out so they don't get stomped into the ground, like you would in Tekken. Training mode should complement this greatly.

Yes...
*Overhauled danger zones that complement the horsepower provided this console generation, as well as that of high-end PCs. I'm not exactly a fan of "Get knocked over once and fall several feet onto a floor that 99% results in a KO.", which was abused in earlier games far too often. (I'm looking at you, Lorelei from DOA 3.)

Yes...

If you want all these things then KT needs to cough up the dough and give DOA a proper budget.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
To me it doesn't really matter when or what they do with DOA - I will be along for the ride as always. There is always the temptation for some to leave and DOA is accustomed to new audiences with each installment, but if you've been in it for the long haul, it would be crazy to stop now unless you had a life changing illness that prevented you from playing.

The time it takes for them is unclear. Most people I talk to are guessing 2024 announcement and 2025 release, but that is not something I'll take to heart personally. For people hoping to start a crusade - I would not start it until the release of Rise of the Ronin. Team NINJA has already spent seven years of their lives on that one and it's their biggest budget game of all time. They aren't going to listen to anything until that game is bagged and tagged.

TPosePhobia

To me it doesn't really matter when or what they do with DOA - I will be along for the ride as always. There is always the temptation for some to leave and DOA is accustomed to new audiences with each installment, but if you've been in it for the long haul, it would be crazy to stop now unless you had a life changing illness that prevented you from playing.

The time it takes for them is unclear. Most people I talk to are guessing 2024 announcement and 2025 release, but that is not something I'll take to heart personally. For people hoping to start a crusade - I would not start it until the release of Rise of the Ronin. Team NINJA has already spent seven years of their lives on that one and it's their biggest budget game of all time. They aren't going to listen to anything until that game is bagged and tagged.
Same here, I'd probably just not play it if the official next DOA fighting game had no dudes. If it's a spinoff game, fine, but if the main game has no dudes I'm out.

TheHunterKiller692

To me, it doesn't really matter. I will be along for the ride as always. There is always the temptation for some to leave and DOA is accustomed to new audiences with each installment, but if you've been in it for the long haul, it would be crazy to stop now, unless you're calling in sick.
shockwave-logical.gif

As long as there's no infighting within the community over the next game, it's nbd.

Wheels92

Agreed. I am a DOA fan at heart and always will be there supporting my hidden gem of a series through thick and thin. While I anxiously await a new Dead or Alive, I will wait patiently.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD