If you missed out on PS3, now is the best time to get one!

KAP

If you're from Europe or Asia and play modern console games, you probably already have a PS3. According to the website VGChartz, the PS3 has outsold the Xbox 360 worldwide 81.30m to 79.98m due mostly to incredible demand in Europe and Asia. There is however, one region of the world where the Xbox 360 reigned supreme. North America.

For those in the US and Canada-- if you do not yet have a PS3, now is the best time to get one! While new releases and support for the Xbox 360 will begin to die down as focus is shifted onto the new consoles, the PS3 will be receiving several exclusive AAA titles, mostly from Japanese publishers like Atlus and Sega. Moreover, the PS3 can be bought used on Amazon for $150, and new for $200.

The 2014 games I'm looking forward to the most on PS3:

Persona 5 (Exclusive from Atlus)
2573986-bg_visual.jpg

Yes, this is the only image of the game which has been released by the ultra-secretive Persona studio at Atlus; however, given their track record of Persona 3, Persona 4, and Catherine, this game will most likely be the PS3's swan song, like Persona 4 was to the PS2.

Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold (Exclusive from Atlus)
2577331-sho2.jpg

Persona 4 Arena was multiplatform; however, other than Japanese arcades, this game will be exclusive to the PS3. I loved the original P4A and can't wait to enjoy the ridiculous story and play Naoto in the online game.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma (Exclusive from Arc System Works)

This game is already out in Japan. A friend of mine has imported it. I've played it, and it's sweet, and unless you plan on going to Japanese arcades, it is exclusive to the PS3.

Top 5 Exclusive game series on the PS3 which make it worth owning (Most of these games cost 20 dollars or less now!):

Uncharted Series (Sony)
837687-uncharted_screen7.jpg

After winning numerous Game of the Year awards from game publications, Uncharted is a series which needs no introduction. Many games have tried to rival it's graphics and gameplay; however, like trying to copy Grand Theft Auto, everyone who has tried to mimic the Uncharted games has not been able to live up to the quality of these outstanding games.

LittleBigPlanet Series (Sony)
176642-29.png

LittleBigPlanet is my favorite 2D platformer of the generation, and yes, I have New Super Mario Bros. Wii. What makes this game so special is how unique and creative the game is, as well as the creativity of the community around it. LittleBigPlanet lets you create your own wild and fun levels and share them with others on the Playstation Network.

The Last of Us (Sony)
2523127-6947132381_6938746940_o.jpg

The Last of Us is not just a great PS3 game, but one of the best games ever made. You might not take my advice when I say you need to play this game. All I have to say to that is, wait until this game sweeps game of the year (Yes, beating Grand Theft Auto V) on many game publications.

Metal Gear Solid 4 (Konami)
9726-mgs15.jpg

I bought a PS3 at launch for $599 dollars and regretted my purchase until I played this game. MGS4 was the game which sold myself, and most of my friends on the PS3. Many speculated that the Xbox 360 would eventually get this game, but that never happened. Probably due to the game's size. The game is nearly 40GB with a 10GB install and even with a reduction in audio quality, there would have been 3 DVDs for the game on the Xbox 360. The plot is bananas; however, if you've played through any of the previous titles in the series, you know what to expect.

Journey (Sony)
1405915-bridges_2.jpg

This PSN game is hard to describe; however, it has captured the hearts and emotions of many and has a remarkable fan-base and following. Much like the similar downloadable game Limbo, Journey has recieved numerous awards, including Game of the Year and Outstanding Innovation in Gaming.

Honorable mentions for exclusive PS3 games:
  • Heavy Rain & Beyond: Two Souls (Sony) - Emotional story-driven games from director David Cage. These games are certainly divisive, but I think they're some of the best games of the generation. I would completely understand if you didn't 'get' or 'understand' these games either.
  • ICO & Shadow of Collossus collection (Sony) - If you never played the PS2 games, shame on you. Now you have a second chance to play these games since the PS2 games are rare.
  • Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Namco) - One of the best JRPGs of the generation with a beautifully animated art style and masterful storytelling.
  • Demon's Souls (Atlus) - This game will kick your ass in the most enjoyable way imaginable.
  • Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - A cult-classic action RPG with terrific art style and a compelling story.
  • Yakuza Series (Sega) - Many call it the 'Japanese Grand Theft Auto;' however, I think it is the Japanese take on open-world with a touch of organized crime. The stories in these games are really great too.
  • Infamous Series (Sony) - Infamous is an open world superhuman game with moral choices which shape your character's abilities.
  • G-d of War games (Sony) - A really great series; however, I liked the PS2 games better than the ones on PS3.
  • Gran Turismo Series (Sony) - Do I really need to tell you what this is? It's Gran Turismo, the classic racing sim.
  • Killzone Series (Sony) - These games are some of the best looking shooters on the system, and the single-player in these games is better than the short single player campaigns you find in most modern shooters.
  • Ratchet and Clank Series (Sony) - Humorous, fun, lengthy, and great looking 3D platformers.
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma Games (Tecmo) - The same Ninja Gaiden games released on 360 with bonus characters (Ayane) and levels.
  • Flower (Sony) - A divisive, artistic PSN game with a strong following.
  • Tons of exclusive JRPGs of varying quality-- if that is your thing. (Japan) - Disgaea series, Atelier series, Hyperdimension Neptunia series, Ar Tonelico series, Trinity Universe, Cross Edge, and some others. Some of these games are not great; however, Disgaea and Atelier especially deserve any RPG fan's attention.
  • Importing games-- if that is your thing - Most PS3 games are region free, and if they are not, if you live in North America then you are in Blu Ray region A, along with Japan which is where most of the import PS3 titles come from.
  • And much, much more which I haven't mentioned-- Resistance series, Pixeljunk series, Trash Panic, and tons of other PSN titles.
At this point in its life, the PS3 provides a ton of value for cheap. It's okay to be late to the party. My only recommendation if you do decide to get a PS3 is that you get a CECH-21xx or newer as they are quieter and produce less heat.

Last edited:

KAP

I just wanted to respond with my quick observation of the PS3 this generation. Back in 2006 and 2007, the PS3 was looking pretty dismal. It had hardly any games at all, and was getting its butt kicked by the Xbox 360; however, Sony was able to turn the ship around.

Look at all of the great games listed above. Most of them are Sony titles, and if they're not Sony titles, they're from Japan. Amazing first party games and good relationships with Japanese developers is what Microsoft has been missing all this time. Don't get me wrong, I like Gears of War and Halo, but I certainly don't like them better than most of the games listed above.

Still, I'm shocked that the 'comeback kid' PS3 was ultimately able to outsell the Xbox 360 worldwide.

Here's the incredible troll Chad Warden talking about his PS TRIPLE from the 2007 youtube video. Now that the console war is basically over for the 360 and PS3, we can all look back at this and laugh.

(Oh G-d, I really hope this guy comes back for the PS4!)

Look at all the people back in the day who were trolled.

Last edited:

Game Over

The turnaround is no surprise to me. The only surprise is just how long it took. Sony has pretty much always had the better platform for success in the market ever since PS1.

They simply got too cocky and "cute" with the PS3, shooting themselves in the foot at the beginning with the $500/600 pricetag and all. So they started slow, then progress remained slow for a while with exclusive games becoming less and less important, less and less prevalent (particularly with 3rd party), and many people gravitating more toward (what happened to be Xbox's strong genre) shooter games. But given all that, Sony kept doing what they do, providing the better OVERALL portfolio for gaming, and here we are today.

And now that the game is reset once again, and the battlefield is (relatively) leveled, with X1 and PS4, I honestly don't see how Microsoft can hope to hold Sony down, because outside of the shooter game bias in the North America market, there is a lot of "advantage Sony" pretty much everywhere else.

KAP

Makes me wonder if this game will ever be finished.......
During the 2005 Sony press conference, there were a lot of games, including Ni-Oh which were never finished.
If the games were shown in 2005 and still are not out today, I have a strong suspicion they are never coming out. The only game from the 2005 conference which came out only recently was Red Dead Redemption (it was known as Red Dead Revolver 2 at the time). Rockstar showed a very early trailer of the game in 2005, but they are they only developer I know of which works on a game for 7 years before releasing it.

Despite all of the games in my first post, there are a couple of disappointments on the PS3, including Ni-Oh.

Last edited:

Ghosty-J

The delay for The Last Guardian is borderline ridiculous. But I still have a shred of confidence the game will still come, but most likely for the PS4 since the current generation is on its last leg. As far as Ni-Oh goes, Team Ninja didn't confirm a cancellation. There's still a strong chance it will come now that they found the gameplay formula they wanted. But I'm holding my breath since they're still supporting DoA and NG.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Yeah, the PS3 is a great value. The console was always better hardware wise and even game wise, but even I knew Sony got a bit cocky with the PS3. Seriously? 599 US Dollars?! But I'm glad the PS3 has thrived and is still getting some great games in the upcoming year. I'm looking forward to Lightning Returns and Blazblue: Chronophantasma the most right now.

UpSideDownGRUNT

As an Xbox gamer unsatisfied with Xbox One and Microsft in general, I'm officially making the switch-over to Sony again with the PS4 however recently (2012 - 2014) Sony has been releasing some really cool stuff that is exclusive to their consoles or just all round have the prettier versions due to Blu-Ray and I must admit after I get the PS4 I will look into getting a PS3 of my own.

Main Reasons to get a PS3:
1. as OP stated Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5 is definitely top of my list of must own PS3 titles
2. Final Fantasy X HD/ Final Fantasy X-2 HD Collection
3. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD
4. The Last of Us
5. NG Sigma apart from NG Black NGS2 is definitely the better version.
6. gives me more of a hance to play PSN buddies at DOA since the current PS3 I use isn't mine so I rarely get to use it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD