IGN Pro League DOA5 Pro Gaming Tournament

Arnell Long

Hmm, Critical Burst is an attack that the apposing player can't immediately counter out of, but before saying it's unsafe, lets look at sit down stuns which the player will have to mash in order to get out of before they can utilize any defensive mechanisms. Therefore, the CB comes into play which 8 times out of 10 will successfully hit the sit downed opponent thus putting them in yet another non-holdable situation with grants you almost any launcher of your choosing. Mind you, that scenario is also adding more damage then just simply going for a quick launcher.

I may be wrong, but to me it seems like the player with the proper knowledge/skill of CB will come out on top almost every single time.

Shinigamimatt

Then wouldn't that imply that not everyone is going to get a decent Critical Burst mechanic? That sounds very OP in a way. How about this, in exchange for no decent CB for Christie, we give her the ability to dodge all moves with a Just Step system that guarantees her everything CB guarantees everyone else??... A mechanic like CB would have to be somewhat fair for everyone. Other than speed and evasiveness what else does Christie have? Even her NH launchers are unsafe.
I'd say her evasiveness is a plus. Kasumi is pretty unsafe too.

PhoenixVFIRE

I'd say her evasiveness is a plus. Kasumi is pretty unsafe too.
Of course, but they were saying that even with that, Christie is low tier because her CB isn't that great in E3 Build. Although, in a way I'm kinda glad her CB is that particular move. It also has evasive properties and seems even faster in this game compared to DOA4. We'll just have to wait and see :) I'm assuming that the pre-release tournys will be later builds than E3?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
The important thing to remember is that they haven't buckled down to balance the game yet, or rather they hadn't as of that build. I wouldn't read too much into it. As for the later tournaments, I doubt it. They won't use up more dev time for later builds unless they tie it to publicly unveiling new characters. Then we'll see different builds, similar to what Namco Bandai did with SCV pre-release.

ScattereDreams

Then wouldn't that imply that not everyone is going to get a decent Critical Burst mechanic? That sounds very OP in a way. How about this, in exchange for no decent CB for Christie, we give her the ability to dodge all moves with a Just Step system that guarantees her everything CB guarantees everyone else??... A mechanic like CB would have to be somewhat fair for everyone. Other than speed and evasiveness what else does Christie have? Even her NH launchers are unsafe.

In Soul Calibur: V Astaroth has a Critical edge where you can dish out at least 100pts of damage. 100+ if has meter, god save us all if he has meter and is near a wall when he uses his critical edge. Some characters such as Alpha Patroklos has a CE that's much weaker. 50-55pt's of damage to be exact, same for Viola who has the shittiest CE in the game. However, Alpha Patroklos probably has the fastest CE's in Soul Calibur (i8) and is know to be a technical character who excels from just frames. His jf sakura twister is i12 and 42dmg. Viola is known for having very dangerous frame traps, mixup's, and combo's with meter, both characters are strong with out their CE's. The point of this reference is that some characters might have a good critical burst, others might have alternatives for getting guaranteed damage/effective without them. So it might not necessarily be OP.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
There will be more open events, like Bryan and I have mentioned, to continue promoting DOA5 and IPL in the future.
For there to be more open events, there have to had been open events in the first place.

In addition, you haven't mentioned anything regarding events so stop trying to piggy-back off DrDogg's efforts.

You have to remember that this stream wasn't really for the hardcore. It was for the casual crowd and they were commentating extremely low level matches.
While I understand this, I do take issue with how the whole thing was handled. Please don't take any offense to this, I'm just pointing out some flaws. Who's going to watch a three day stream labeled as a tournament? A casual fan or a hardcore one? A casual fan's going to see a trailer and go "Oh cool, can't wait 'til it comes out." They won't care to watch three days worth of content.

Secondly, I just feel that the event shouldn't have been labeled a tournament and rather just a series of exhibition matches with more competent players getting more screen time while explaining system and gameplay changes. Just my two cents though.

PhoenixVFIRE

In Soul Calibur: V Astaroth has a Critical edge where you can dish out at least 100pts of damage. 100+ if has meter, god save us all if he has meter and is near a wall when he uses his critical edge. Some characters such as Alpha Patroklos has a CE that's much weaker. 50-55pt's of damage to be exact, same for Viola who has the shittiest CE in the game. However, Alpha Patroklos probably has the fastest CE's in Soul Calibur (i8) and is know to be a technical character who excels from just frames. His jf sakura twister is i12 and 42dmg. Viola is known for having very dangerous frame traps, mixup's, and combo's with meter, both characters are strong with out their CE's. The point of this reference is that some characters might have a good critical burst, others might have alternatives for getting guaranteed damage/effective without them. So it might not necessarily be OP.
Oh, I'm totally aware of that, but Soul Calibur isn't DOA. They've already pointed out that Christie basically still has to play DOA4's play, which we've all agreed is bad, therefore the Soul Calibur analogy is kinda skewed. Those characters like Viola, APatrokolos have things to work with while Christie(in the E3 build) still has a ton of guesswork.

Anyway, the E3 build was just a test run and there were no balances made so all in all, I'm sure characters like Christie will have changes made like everyone else :D

DrDogg

Balancing the CB is just like balancing any other game mechanic. It doesn't make it useless or not good simply because some characters can use it better than others. It's also important to note that this is the first build we've seen with CB. It's safe to assume there's still some adjustments that need to be done, as Shimbori stated on the tournament stream.

Not every character needs a safe CB that stuns on NH. However, if they lack that, it needs to do something else to make it useful. Something like being faster than other CBs so you can hit it off of almost any stun, or maybe make it a sidestep attack, or give it good crush properties.

I'm assuming that the pre-release tournys will be later builds than E3?

Yes, the next pre-release tournament will be an updated build. If I had to guess, it would be a near-final build... but that's nothing more than a guess.

While I understand this, I do take issue with how the whole thing was handled. Please don't take any offense to this, I'm just pointing out some flaws. Who's going to watch a three day stream labeled as a tournament? A casual fan or a hardcore one? A casual fan's going to see a trailer and go "Oh cool, can't wait 'til it comes out." They won't care to watch three days worth of content.

Secondly, I just feel that the event shouldn't have been labeled a tournament and rather just a series of exhibition matches with more competent players getting more screen time while explaining system and gameplay changes. Just my two cents though.

While I had nothing to do with the labeling of the event, or the PR associated with it, if you label it the "I'm a Fighter World Championship", it will make the casuals want to watch. It was very good PR to do so. It makes way more sense to use terminology that will excite the masses, rather than use terms that will appeal to the small percentage of hardcore tournament players.

In the end, it really shouldn't matter what it's called. It's not like Manny is any more respected around here after his win, and any casual fan who thinks more highly of Manny now isn't someone that the people who frequent this site should be concerned with.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD