IGN Pro League DOA5 Pro Gaming Tournament

ochosen1o

Can't really 'give him shit for being the favorite' for marketing himself and using his avenues. I think people were just tired of seeing everything go to him.

Either way, let's not go down this path... again.

Seriously guys, move on. New game, hopefully a fresh community with new players as well as old. It's a new generation as well since the game will be joining the stream era where anyone can be televised over the net and show their stuff and their skill.

CHURCH!! AMEN!

Also, Rikuto, just watched that stream on the viewer side (via youtube)
little rough around he edges but you took those notes I gave you and ran with em, very very impressed, Kat needs a bit of work but i'm very very impressed man. Informative
a bit of entertainment and rarely dull, for a first timer I could definetly say keep at it, you've got sumn here. (Secret shout to brian, good pick, I was skeptical as hell, but good pick)

-C1

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
CHURCH!! AMEN!

little rough around he edges but you took those notes I gave you and ran with em, very very impressed, Kat needs a bit of work but i'm very very impressed man. Informative
a bit of entertainment and rarely dull, for a first timer I could definetly say keep at it, you've got sumn here. (Secret shout to brian, good pick, I was skeptical as hell, but good pick)

-C1

Thank you for the direct criticism. So much of it is just getting into the right mindset and recognizing "This is what you are supposed to be, now be it." Going from the anti-socialite who sits in a dark room all day to someone talking non-stop for six hour stretches is a massive change of pace.

Blind praise can give ya that warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but it's not especially useful for anything I might attempt in the future should any situation like this present itself again.

Well, I guess the morale boost is a little nice. Glad it was considered acceptable by any standard though... as folks have been saying, it only gets better as time goes on, so I'm not terribly worried anymore.

At first, I wasn't sure what you guys were saying, but then I remembered you have JR on ignore. Basically he's going off saying you guys were doing just as deceptive stuff as Manny is blamed for because you didn't talk about the tournament as soon as you heard about it. Neither did Manny though, and I know that Bryan actually went out of his way to let it be known the week earlier instead of what he was originally told to do and not even announce it until the day of.

Blaaah... ok, as they like to put it, real talk.

JR still doesn't understand the differences in motivation between Manny and myself. I went specifically to rep the community and gather more information than we had. The trade off was performing a job and agreeing to certain terms. Manny, on the other hand, went specifically for his own personal benefit just like he does for every event. He was not nearly as interested in the game mechanics itself, in fact he didn't even know what a critical burst was until we told him.... despite him having full access to that build. In fact when I asked him, he said he "I don't even know why they are in the game, to be honest". He just couldn't care less.

Now am I above attending a closed event with money involved, that has already been set in the stars as going to happen? No. I am not. And neither are any of you.

I shouldn't be above that either, because I've damn well earned my stripes by now as far as competition goes and if someone is getting a shot at that I would at least like to fantasize I rank high enough to qualify as one of them. It is certainly my preference that all events be open, but I'm not some corporate bigwig and I don't get to make those decisions for other people.

I am above monopolizing a closed event, however... Manny isn't. I think all tournaments, regardless of how closed, should have some form of legit competition going on... otherwise it isn't really a tournament, now is it? Manny would just prefer to cut everyone dangerous out of the picture so he can reap the rewards in a guaranteed fashion. His nature does not reflect my own.

I like money, sure. Who doesn't? But I feed off of the glory of competition a hell of a lot more. Money is worthless if you have no real title to back it up... just means you're living in a dream world.

That's a pretty big difference.

If JR still just can't accept the concept that we are different people, then he probably never will.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

Yeah, funny how that turned out, considering what was being said before the event by some people:

I see. Rikuto and mystik imo was just the worse picks. ... We'll just have to deal with a weird looking ginger and random girl that isn't part of the community to be on camera for several hours to sell/save our game.

Some people just have trouble with the community moving forward.

RikWeaN

Rikuto was alright, and major props to him for putting up with Mystic all the way through. That is a real achievement in itself, I know I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to punch her in the face everytime she would open her mouth if I was in his position. She actually managed to kill any enjoyement I was expecting to get out of the stream to the point I was wishing I could just mute the damn thing if it wasn't for Rikuto's comments. When someone's blatantly showing they don't even care about the reply to a question they asked and would rather keep spouting BS on top of it instead, they lose all credibility in my book. And don't even get me started on "it's everyone's game"....

You got the patience of a saint, man.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Rikuto was alright, and major props to him for putting up with Mystic all the way through. That is a real achievement in itself, I know I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to punch her in the face everytime she would open her mouth if I was in his position. She actually managed to kill any enjoyement I was expecting to get out of the stream to the point I was wishing I could just mute the damn thing if it wasn't for Rikuto's comments. When someone's blatantly showing they don't even care about the reply to a question they asked and would rather keep spouting BS on top of it instead, they lose all credibility in my book. And don't even get me started on "it's everyone's game"....

Wow, some harsh words there.

RikWeaN

Wow, some harsh words there.
Probably. But definitely not harsher than having to endure her falcepalm inducing BS for 8hours when I'm trying to enjoy footage of a game I'm looking forward to. I can understand the need to have a less experienced counterpart as to balance with the more technical commenting, but that was just overkill. Give me jedirobb anyday. At least he's entertaining.

R4712-VR88

All the smack talking. All the people getting blown up. It's... Flame Board nostalgia... D:

Which reminds me. I want that Flame Thrower burger at Dairy Queen. brb

RikWeaN

That goes to show how rage inducing she was. You're right Awesmic, it usually takes a lot to get this kind of reaction from me (I'm actually surprised you remember about me at all btw - if I remember right the only time we played together you kicked my ass, that definitely doesn't warrant any kind of remembering IMO)

I'm not going to take up anymore space in here voicing my concerns about her though. If there are actually people who enjoyed her, more power to them.

R4712-VR88

I remember you too RikWeaN. We both went to Neotaku way back. =P

So anyway, this DOA5 game is looking awesome. :3

DrDogg

You have to remember that this stream wasn't really for the hardcore. It was for the casual crowd and they were commentating extremely low level matches. There's only so much you can do or say in those situations. Kat was deliberately asking all of those questions. It was part of their dynamic and a pre-planned strategy based on the level of play at the event, the lack of knowledge on the game, and the audience watching.

Have you ever watched UltraDavid try to commentate a low level match? It's definitely not the same quality people normally expect from him. I'd go as far as to say that commentating a low level match for a casual audience is the hardest thing to do in gaming commentary.

That said, I think the duo did an excellent job, and I can't really imagine too many pairs doing it better. Of course, everyone has their own opinion on it, just like the MK community is not a fan of jedirobb's commentary. I think they both did an excellent job and I've heard very few complaints about them, especially after they got more comfortable on the second and third day.

MASTER

Standard Donor
JR still doesn't understand the differences in motivation between Manny and myself. I went specifically to rep the community and gather more information than we had. The trade off was performing a job and agreeing to certain terms. Manny, on the other hand, went specifically for his own personal benefit just like he does for every event. He was not nearly as interested in the game mechanics itself, in fact he didn't even know what a critical burst was until we told him.... despite him having full access to that build. In fact when I asked him, he said he "I don't even know why they are in the game, to be honest". He just couldn't care less.

Now am I above attending a closed event with money involved, that has already been set in the stars as going to happen? No. I am not. And neither are any of you.

I shouldn't be above that either, because I've damn well earned my stripes by now as far as competition goes and if someone is getting a shot at that I would at least like to fantasize I rank high enough to qualify as one of them. It is certainly my preference that all events be open, but I'm not some corporate bigwig and I don't get to make those decisions for other people.

I am above monopolizing a closed event, however... Manny isn't. I think all tournaments, regardless of how closed, should have some form of legit competition going on... otherwise it isn't really a tournament, now is it? Manny would just prefer to cut everyone dangerous out of the picture so he can reap the rewards in a guaranteed fashion. His nature does not reflect my own.

I like money, sure. Who doesn't? But I feed off of the glory of competition a hell of a lot more. Money is worthless if you have no real title to back it up... just means you're living in a dream world.

That's a pretty big difference.

If JR still just can't accept the concept that we are different people, then he probably never will.

I didn't go for my own personal benefit Erik I can assure you of that. You are welcome to keep thinking that though but I'm there for the DOA community.

Also I don't understand why you would make a post saying that i didn't know what a Critical Burst was on the first day i got there =/. NO ONE knew what it was except Bryan and You when you entered TN's room. Bryan has had more time with the build than any of us at that time. So again I'm Not understanding why you are making a post about something we TRULY didn't know about until that day when Bryan Told us about it.

Currently Critical burst are not good IMO. I will explain it more later on a write up that im working on. Too much risk for a critical burst and im not a fan of seeing the same move twice. Which is why I would rather launch than do a CB. Not to mention some characters just can't utilize it that well period. Thats just the simple version of it.

Also this Tournament at E3 was meant to promote IPL and DOA5. I think we all know that by now and from what I've been hearing it seems like it was a successful event for both parties. So We should definitely be excited about that. There will be more open events, like Bryan and I have mentioned, to continue promoting DOA5 and IPL in the future. So all I can say for those interested is to just keep checking the IPL website to find out when everyone else can get involved.

MASTER
:hayabusa:

Shinigamimatt

I completely understand they were purposely, for lack of a better word, baby-ing the commentating so that anyone could understand it, but it generally felt like Kat was somewhat ignorant when it came to DOA. She certainly knew enough compared to the random people, though.

Decent job either way from both of them. Kat didn't really ruin it for me as much as watching the pros pubstomp random people trying it out. Loved watching Kayane, though. Surprised more people didn't try Kasumi.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Yeah, funny how that turned out, considering what was being said before the event by some people:

"I see. Rikuto and mystik imo was just the worse picks. ... We'll just have to deal with a weird looking ginger and random girl that isn't part of the community to be on camera for several hours to sell/save our game."

Some people just have trouble with the community moving forward.

Whoops, must've slipped on the reply button out of some subconscious desire for more people to guess which selfless, heroic member of our community would callously dismiss people before they'd even done anything. /shrug

DrDogg

I didn't go for my own personal benefit Erik I can assure you of that. You are welcome to keep thinking that though but I'm there for the DOA community.

E3 ended over a week ago. In that time I've created multiple threads and shared a ton of info about the E3 build. I even did some of that before E3 was over even though I was busier than you and the other players.

So while I see that you're "working on a write-up", it definitely doesn't appear as though it's a priority. We also haven't seen anything from Vanessa, Chosen1 or sWooZie either. Only Rikuto, Kayane and myself have been contributing (along with some players who attended the event on their own accord). Kayane even had time to post an article and she's been traveling nonstop since E3.

Now I'm not saying we expect anything from anyone. I only mention this in response to your post and have no issues with the invited players not providing info on the E3 build. People have other obligations and I understand that completely, but if you had been contributing to the E3 build threads, or had gotten that write-up posted earlier this week or even last week, it would've been received much better and you'd be taking a step in the right direction toward turning your image around.

Also I don't understand why you would make a post saying that i didn't know what a Critical Burst was on the first day i got there =/.

You made a comment earlier in the thread stating that you know more than we think you do and even mentioned a white outfit (whatever happened to that?). So anyone thinking you knew more than you did would be your own fault for making those prior comments.

Currently Critical burst are not good IMO. I will explain it more later on a write up that im working on. Too much risk for a critical burst and im not a fan of seeing the same move twice. Which is why I would rather launch than do a CB. Not to mention some characters just can't utilize it that well period. Thats just the simple version of it.

To me, this paragraph shows that you didn't take the time to understand the Critical Burst system, and weren't paying much attention when I tried to explain it. I'll wait for your write-up before I go too far into detail, but it's clear you don't understand how they're meant to be used.

Either that, or you'd rather be playing the same DOA you've been playing for years... that very few people care to play at this point.

So all I can say for those interested is to just keep checking the IPL website to find out when everyone else can get involved.

They won't have to check the IPL website. I'll make sure that information is available here as soon as possible. That way it reaches the DOA community without anyone having to look for it.

DRDOGG
pawprint_lol.jpg

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor

You made a comment earlier in the thread stating that you know more than we think you do and even mentioned a white outfit (whatever happened to that?). So anyone thinking you knew more than you did would be your own fault for making those prior comments.

To me, this paragraph shows that you didn't take the time to understand the Critical Burst system, and weren't paying much attention when I tried to explain it. I'll wait for your write-up before I go too far into detail, but it's clear you don't understand how they're meant to be used.

DRDOGG
pawprint_lol.jpg

If I had to guess, he was assuming the white outfit from Warriors Orochi 3 was in and wanted to look like he had inside info that he didn't. What do I know, though?

CyberEvil
CEsig.jpg

ScattereDreams

Hell can I make myself a logo to?..

In all seriousness though..

MASTER
:hayabusa:

You're going to have to explain a little better how Critical Bursts aren't good besides them being "Too much of a risk". Every attack you do in DOA4 while your opponent was stunned "was a risk". It gives you a chance to get in some guaranteed damage, including a power blow. How're critical bursts anymore of a risk than Bayman's 3k on CH in the E3 build? Which also guarantee's damage unless the opponent slow escapes (from what I've heard atleast.). Every character not having a decent critical burst is the same as every character not having a sit down stun, or every character not having useful guard breaks like Hayabusa.

PhoenixVFIRE

Hell can I make myself a logo to?..

In all seriousness though..

You're going to have to explain a little better how Critical Bursts aren't good besides them being "Too much of a risk". Every attack you do in DOA4 while your opponent was stunned "was a risk". It gives you a chance to get in some guaranteed damage, including a power blow. How're critical bursts anymore of a risk than Bayman's 3k on CH in the E3 build? Which also guarantee's damage unless the opponent slow escapes (from what I've heard atleast.). Every character not having a decent critical burst is the same as every character not having a sit down stun, or every character not having useful guard breaks like Hayabusa.
Then wouldn't that imply that not everyone is going to get a decent Critical Burst mechanic? That sounds very OP in a way. How about this, in exchange for no decent CB for Christie, we give her the ability to dodge all moves with a Just Step system that guarantees her everything CB guarantees everyone else??... A mechanic like CB would have to be somewhat fair for everyone. Other than speed and evasiveness what else does Christie have? Even her NH launchers are unsafe.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD