Koei Tecmo's Q3 Games & Anime Business

Koei Tecmo has a lot going on despite there being little to no Dead or Alive or NINJA Gaiden news available -- releases are continuing to flow from the company and Team NINJA appears to be hard at work with Rise of the Ronin while also continuing to fine-tune Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty to masocore perfection.

We'll kick off this business story with facts and the facts are Gust's Atelier franchise has been doing its best numbers ever with the Ryza saga selling over two million copies, and Ryza now has an anime to boot and a near perfect remake of Atelier Marie just recently released; the first game in the franchise released over two decades ago. If you are now just getting into this series 2023 is the best time to start with the original package and Gust's best works to date.

With Koei Tecmo now entering the anime business alongside Liden Films, maybe it's time we see or at least request Dead or Alive also get an anime of its own. While a Well-Known DOA community member has been working on a non-official anime, perhaps Koei Tecmo will work with the artist or come up with a plan to bolster the popularity of their most popular franchise through other means of media outside of the games.

The animation level of Atelier Ryza is visually pleasing, stimulating, and follows the Ryza titles perfectly through environments, atmosphere and personality of the characters. I imagine that if the day were to ever come the Dead or Alive anime would be a vibrant production with the staff studying the games closely, so it translates well to the anime. You can watch Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout on Crunchyroll for free, but the latest episode will require a premium subscription.

Koei Tecmo's Gust has also released the second Atelier title this year with Marie Remake. Once again, it's very refreshing to get a niche turned-based RPG for a second time this year. This game will take you back to the past and either cause you to double-shot your espresso or with the new unlimited days mode you can relax and play the game very slice-of-life. On our working progress scale for reviewing games this title would get 4 stars and is an easy recommendation.

The series actually makes me think of Dead or Alive because it seems like they are in the same boat. These are both very good game series that get swept under the rug and are underappreciated by the average gamer just because they are not as popular as Final Fantasy or Tekken. It's always been both a blessing and a curse to be dedicated to franchises that you must fight for to see succeed, but I personally wouldn't have it any other way as I'm always looking for a way to project my voice and 'defend & promote' the underdog.

With these types of numbers and Koei Tecmo's faith applied it makes sense to me that Dead or Alive is not a dead franchise, but coming up with fighting game innovations takes years and this needs to be something that is understood by the younger fighters in this community that have yet to experience a draught like from DOA4-DOA5.

Koei Tecmo plans to end their Q3 with Nobunaga's Ambition: Awakening & Fate/Samurai Remnant. With Q4 it's hard to tell if there will be anything announced or put into play for holiday releases outside of Wo Long DLC, but rumor has it that 'Tokyo Game Show' will be the biggest it has ever been, so there is a lot of hope just waiting to be crushed leading up to those fateful days that fill out the remainder of our year and next year's plans.

Speaking of Wo Long; it's been hard to write an official review for this on a community-based level because the game gets better every other week and with each and every patch it becomes more and more refined. The latest DLC: Battle of Zhongyuan adds to the level of completeness. You get more of just about everything, you get additional gameplay including: two times the tomes, weapons, armor and extra challenging fights that make this one of the more memorable games of 2023 so far.

As far as the future of the DOA franchise: it's clearly not dead with no chance of return as made evident by Team NINJA's slides at their last G-Note press conference, but we need to give them time to finish Rise of the Ronin. A seven-year project with Sony Entertainment. This must end for us to get to the next chapter of whether or not another DOA is coming or not. That release date is the date for fans to make their case and make their plea.

Don't sleep on Rise of the Ronin if you own a PS5. This is by far Team NINJA's biggest budget title yet. Ronin is open world, with hints of Ghosts and Assassin's Creed with Team NINJA signatures. You can romance characters; stories will be inscribed in the detailed world environment and the gameplay animation is some of the best work we've seen out of Team NINJA in a while. Team NINJA is trying to make history with this title and if you are a fan of their work you don't want to miss it.

Koei Tecmo has a lot going on, despite there being little to no Dead or Alive or NINJA Gaiden news available. Releases are continuing to flow from the company and Team NINJA appears to be hard at work with Rise of the Ronin while also continuing to fine-tune Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty to masocore perfection. It's always been both a blessing and a curse to be dedicated to franchises that you must fight for to see succeed, but I personally wouldn't have it any other way as I'm always looking for a way to project my voice and 'defend & promote' the underdog. Team NINJA is trying to make history with this [Rise of the Ronin] and if you are a fan of their work you don't want to miss it.
I appreciate your enthusiasm and you admitting to volunteering to keep Koei-Tecmo afloat, but I'm gonna be honest, my interest goes both ways with Tecmo: I think merging with Koei to make a billion Dynasty Warriors clones was a terrible idea, there's almost no one even willing to advocate for DOA just because they were turned off by 6, and the inevitable threat of being picked off by infighting ruffians who always insist your favorite game "went to shit" after their franchise was sold or the former head honcho left (especially when I heard he was accused of sexual misconduct at one point, and I believe Itagaki's procrastination, by your logic, should spell the end of him making a profit, period). Also, not having Crimson Sea or Rygar reissued still hits me in the gut, in a bad way.

Like, good lord, Tecmo's being stretched too thin as it is, in my humble opinion, and shilling for it won't save them.

Also, Rise Of The Ronin is a game I won't buy at $70. Nothing on the PS5 is even remotely as good as what Xbox currently offers (Nintendo's hit-or-miss), and to have a good game 4 years in is a death sentence for Sony's aging brand. In fact, Final Fantasy and Tekken are only popular because Sony still wants to have total control over the Japanese market and we have to stop them.

I have Crunchyroll - I just might give that Ryza anime a shot to see what it's all about. Maybe it'll help give some context to the DLC costumes in DOA6

I think that the story is somewhat generic, but I like the characters and I like the way it looks. With this addition to Crunchyroll getting a great review score and a decent number of viewers, I could see Koei Temo doing more anime in the future no doubt.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and you admitting to volunteering to keep Koei-Tecmo afloat, but I'm gonna be honest, my interest goes both ways with Tecmo: I think merging with Koei to make a billion Dynasty Warriors clones was a terrible idea, there's almost no one even willing to advocate for DOA just because they were turned off by 6, and the inevitable threat of being picked off by infighting ruffians who always insist your favorite game "went to shit" after their franchise was sold or the former head honcho left (especially when I heard he was accused of sexual misconduct at one point, and I believe Itagaki's procrastination, by your logic, should spell the end of him making a profit, period). Also, not having Crimson Sea or Rygar reissued still hits me in the gut, in a bad way.

Like, good lord, Tecmo's being stretched too thin as it is, in my humble opinion, and shilling for it won't save them.

Also, Rise Of The Ronin is a game I won't buy at $70. Nothing on the PS5 is even remotely as good as what Xbox currently offers (Nintendo's hit-or-miss), and to have a good game 4 years in is a death sentence for Sony's aging brand. In fact, Final Fantasy and Tekken are only popular because Sony still wants to have total control over the Japanese market and we have to stop them.

For years I thought that Koei would be a bad merger, but in all reality, they've turned out to be quite decent I'd say. They make more than enough money to get by and they admit upfront that they know they aren't the biggest company in the world.

Your complaints with Sony are reasonable to say the least. I HATE being in a position where I have to be on the attack against Sony, but the community has spent a lot of time ensuring that Team NINJA games (especially DOA) are multiplatform games. I don't believe in exclusive titles unless it's from the publisher itself and Sony makes a lot of calls to make sure games are not XBOX where they can get away with it in Japan.

Final Fantasy XVI is a perfect example and as said by Judge Crowley during Microsoft vs FTC, it was not because of a lack of sales on XBOX; it was because Sony wanted it that way. So, while Square Enix and Sony shook their double standard and lied to the court and congress Microsoft had to be put under the microscope for a legal, in your face and public deal that wasn't a closed meeting or private phone call with Jim Ryan (that seems far less legal).

Which leads me to another argument that Koei was a better choice than Square Enix for Tecmo. I remember when I was a kid and I wanted Square and Tecmo to merge. Thankfully that didn't happen. Square Enix destroyed a lot of potentially great games like Marvel's Avengers by Crystal Dynamics, didn't pay the Outriders devs anywhere close to on-time and threw IOI (Hitman) out the window like they never mattered. The higher-ups at Square Enix are evil, disgusting people and I feel bad for anyone who has to work for them.

Unfortunately, this is Jim Ryan's PlayStation now. I'm putting up with the Rise of Ronin timed exclusive deal because nobody has a choice or a chance to appeal that decision as it's been in writing for over seven years.

But I think it's pivotal that fans continue to tell KT they want multi-platform games and would resent a Sony purchase of Koei Tecmo.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD