Learning To Use A Joystick

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
virtuaPAI said:
-Oh no you didnt lmao. The Arcade stick is so beautiful in use for DOA! Pads do the game no justice at all. Stick has far superior command/movement buffering as well as significantly more precise control.

Stick all the way since DOA1 arcade.. nothing beats a stick.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
EMPEROR_COW said:
Stick all the way since DOA1 arcade.. nothing beats a stick.

-You damn right! Once I went stick I could never go back. Everything else just feels incomplete.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
DestructionBomb said:
The more you guys speak of the stick, the more I feel left out lol =/.

-Awww, dont feel left out. Just learn! I am not going to lie, it is not the easiest thing to do, however, the benifits from its use will pay off.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
The more you guys speak of the stick, the more I feel left out lol =/.

well its like this...
- you get better input response... there's no debating that one..
- you get rid of macros ... u play the game the way it should be played .. with 3 buttons with a finger assigned to each button.. which breaks the game down to a far simpler form .. making u focus more on the fight. (IMO)
- you get to sidestep a frame faster using 2/8 H+P+K rather than 22/88 (its just alot easier on stick)
- if you get pissed off, its too heavy to throw at someone .. and if you do manage to throw it .. you'll end up killing your opponent.. lol

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
well its like this...
- you get better input response... there's no debating that one..
- you get rid of macros ... u play the game the way it should be played .. with 3 buttons with a finger assigned to each button.. which breaks the game down to a far simpler form .. making u focus more on the fight. (IMO)
- you get to sidestep a frame faster using 2/8 H+P+K rather than 22/88 (its just alot easier on stick)
- if you get pissed off, its too heavy to throw at someone .. and if you do manage to throw it .. you'll end up killing your opponent.. lol

loool. I know, I have one. It's just for the life of me...I can't seem to use it properly. Been on pad.

Last edited:

ScattereDreams

DOA is so weird on arcade stick. Though I won't deny my movement is better. But still it's just awkward. I find it difficult countering on reaction or reacting accordingly with certain moves to crush. DOA is only fighting I have problems using arcade sticks so I just said forget it =/

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
DestructionBomb said:
loool. I know, I have one. It's just for the life of me...I can't seem to use it properly. Been on pad.

If u wanna learn it u need to throw the pad out the window and never use it again for like a month. Then ull start to notice how crap the pad is when u try to use it again.. lol

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
It took me a month or two to get used to stick, but I was playing 2D fighters with it which have a lot more complex motions (1632143B+C!?). If you use exclusively a stick for a few weeks, you can really feel an improvement over pad.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
This is the one I have:

I received this as a gift. I checked the prices and it's a whooping 200 cash from my uncle. Now I do feel bad because of the price. I need to learn.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Yoooo, Yaiba stick. That thing is the Hori Grail of sticks. Good stick, good buttons (the only Hori stick and buttons that aren't noticeably inferior), and good build. Astrocity/Namco Noir layout too. Looks cool too. :v

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It's sensitive as hell. This is so far my experience from it a week ago:

Good experience:

My 1-frame knees come out like it's nothing. I purposely try not to make it come out and within a slight inch , it comes out anyway. I like this.

Bad experience:

My overall gameplay has been really bad. Pretty much like you guys said, I need a lot of time to adjust to it.
Getting buttons mixed up.
Tendency to drop combos, juggles etc.
My holds seem to be rarely coming out. It's just me, I know it is. Trying to adapt.
Because of sensitivity other moves tend to come out. I try to input 66P, 6P comes out instead. Not sure if I'm going ahead of myself or moving too slow.
Not sure if this is relevant, but some positive feedback would be nice. I'm right handed so I may need a focused grip on the left side.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor

Good experience:

My 1-frame knees come out like it's nothing. I purposely try not to make it come out and within a slight inch , it comes out anyway. I like this.

Bad experience:

My overall gameplay has been really bad. Pretty much like you guys said, I need a lot of time to adjust to it.
My holds seem to be rarely coming out. It's just me, I know it is. Trying to adapt.
Because of sensitivity other moves tend to come out. I try to input 66P, 6P comes out instead. Not sure if I'm going ahead of myself or moving too slow.
Not sure if this is relevant, but some positive feedback would be nice. I'm right handed so I may need a focused grip on the left side.
The grip that i use would best be described if a ninja turtle griped it over top. So I have my index finger over the top center of the ball. Starting from the knuckle, my index finger's first joint rests dead center of the top of the ball. My middle finger's first joint rests on the left side of the ball at 10 o'clock. The ball of my thumb rests at 4 o'clock. Double taps like 66 start with the arm doing the first 6, followed up by a quick middle finger recoil and push.

On moves like 43P, some people have difficulty hitting the precise input. You can cheat on the move by doing 4123P.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

Good experience:

Bad experience:

Regarding holds, I learned to do them in about 1-2 weeks somewhat satisfyingly. Only just recently, after more than a year of stick use, have I learned to input them as quickly or quicker than on the xbox controller.

Too much sensitivity can be a bad thing in 3D fighters. Maybe you can adapt, or you can mod it with a less sensitive stick. Sanwa/Seimitsu sticks are around 20-30 dollars on webshops, I think. Shoryuken has loads of information concerning different sticks.

Last edited:

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I'm a fan of the wine and half wine grips (I use a half wine slightly rotated). Really doesn't matter that much as long as you can hit all directions reasonably well. A lot of people have trouble with hitting 11 type inputs with bad grips. If you can hit everything (facing both ways) fine, it's all good.

I don't know why holding is a problem though (seems a few people have an issue with it). Just hit the direction and free at the same time. Practice doing Omega Pyhrra's NS B's first just frame~

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I use a modified wine glass style.

I will say this, I tried using arcade stick back about the time of VF4:Evo / SF3:3S (Xbox 1) / Kof 11. I just couldn't use it, not even in VF4 or VF5. I kept trying but sadly couldn't dedicate the time to it. Tried also GGXX#R (xbox live) with the SF2AE version. Wanted to learn stick but just couldn't, and using it in DOA3 was terrible due to the game's designed bufferring meant for a pad use.

It wasn't until SF4 came out where for the first time in nearly a decade I could play SF again and use Guile. Due to guile's charge motions I found myself adjusting easy to stick since they weren't as complicated as trying to get used to a Shoryuken (:6::2::3:) and a Hadouken (:236:) motion. I was able to get better with stick because of it. Starting with opposite input notations and simple spacing controls, then adding half circle motions to shortcut his super.

My grip style is generally the shaft goes between my pinky and ring finger, with the sides of the ring finger and the pinky knuckle resting on the dash. I should note that my hands are bigger than the average person but basically the ball top rests in my index and middle.

The problem i've always had was doing :1::1: motions and I've recently tried modifying my style to have my thumb rest on the top center of the ball top. Using the thumb to throw it in :1::1: or left motions. I'm trying to get that into my accustomed setup but I tend to fall back to using my wrist.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I use a modified wine glass style.

I will say this, I tried using arcade stick back about the time of VF4:Evo / SF3:3S (Xbox 1) / Kof 11. I just couldn't use it, not even in VF4 or VF5. I kept trying but sadly couldn't dedicate the time to it. Tried also GGXX#R (xbox live) with the SF2AE version. Wanted to learn stick but just couldn't, and using it in DOA3 was terrible due to the game's designed bufferring meant for a pad use.

It wasn't until SF4 came out where for the first time in nearly a decade I could play SF again and use Guile. Due to guile's charge motions I found myself adjusting easy to stick since they weren't as complicated as trying to get used to a Shoryuken (:6::2::3:) and a Hadouken (:236:) motion. I was able to get better with stick because of it. Starting with opposite input notations and simple spacing controls, then adding half circle motions to shortcut his super.

My grip style is generally the shaft goes between my pinky and ring finger, with the sides of the ring finger and the pinky knuckle resting on the dash. I should note that my hands are bigger than the average person but basically the ball top rests in my index and middle.

The problem i've always had was doing :1::1: motions and I've recently tried modifying my style to have my thumb rest on the top center of the ball top. Using the thumb to throw it in :1::1: or left motions. I'm trying to get that into my accustomed setup but I tend to fall back to using my wrist.

I'm having issues with :1::1:,:4::6::6:,:7::7:. Is having a square gate involve issues? or that's a matter of preference?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Preference.

I prefer square gate as it was easier to get used to charge motions with Guile. In an octo gate I had trouble telling the feel difference between diagonals and straight directions.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD