Lets talk about redesigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atahotaku

I think that Nyotengu is the most beautiful character of all the game (in regards of face's beauty), but I'm also in the ship of giving her more masks to wear. In fact I thing that the Tengu mask should be an accesory in every one of his costumes, even the bikinis.

Now, in terms of gameplays, I think they should differentiate her moveset from Bankotsubo and give her more feminine moves and dancing like moves. Also a proper plot, and a proper name instead of Nyotengu

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I think that Nyotengu is the most beautiful character of all the game (in regards of face's beauty), but I'm also in the ship of giving her more masks to wear. In fact I thing that the Tengu mask should be an accesory in every one of his costumes, even the bikinis.

Now, in terms of gameplays, I think they should differentiate her moveset from Bankotsubo and give her more feminine moves and dancing like moves. Also a proper plot, and a proper name instead of Nyotengu

What do you mean with “Feminine”? I didn’t know fighting styles had genders. Nyotengu practices Tengudo just like bankutsubo, We don’t need her to have dance like moves when this is her fighting style. Her name is also fine, it makes her more mysterious.

Nyo needs more of a tengu theme, and by that I mean something consistent that involves the long nose, the most iconic part of Tengu's design. The feather fan was kinda bare minimum and a given. They should have made the mask she wore in like, two promotional images default or something so that before reading her name when someone looks at her for the first time, they automatically know right off the bat that she's the "Female Tengu" (because god forbid they actually give a female character red or brown skin and a long nose, something something sexual dimorphism). In 5LR only a couple (4?) of her outfits have the mask as an OPTION, and out of them only 2 have it on by default. Instead, it should be her standard accessory.
You could use her mask with many costumes, every base costume of her with the exception of the maid one has the option to put the mask on, even most of her DLC that isn’t a collaboration costume (with the exception of the gust swimsuits and Senran Kagura). Have the option to put a mask on. Maybe you should check things like this before you post.
Nyotengu has a very pretty face, I understand why TN doesn’t want to hide it. I hope Nyotengu just takes her mask off during her intro pose.

Atahotaku

It's just an opinion. She dress like an oiran, so more graceful moves and less sumo stomps, I think?

I know that fighting styles don't have genders, but genders do have stereotypes. So a more stereotyped fighting style for an oiran waifu, maybe?

It's a very personal and subjetive complaint. I really like the character, but not the fighting style she has

Onryoki

Standard Donor
It's just an opinion. She dress like an oiran, so more graceful moves and less sumo stomps, I think?

I know that fighting styles don't have genders, but genders do have stereotypes. So a more stereotyped fighting style for an oiran waifu, maybe?

It's a very personal and subjetive complaint. I really like the character, but not the fighting style she has
Nyo is honestly fine the way she is, if you don’t like her fighting style, pick another character.

Brute

Standard Donor

Subjectivity concerns aside, the only interesting thing about Nyo is her unorthodox fighting style. A "sexy" oiran-dressed seductress with giant tits and eye-shadow is boring as all hell because we've seen it a million times. As you said, it's a stereotype, but that's not a good thing. The fact that such a stereotypical aesthetic is juxtaposed with such an idiosyncratic moveset is what makes the character special. Without it, she's just jerk-off ammunition.

Making her more generic is the worst possible thing you can do. It would be like pissing on a Bob Ross painting. Just... why?

Macca Beam

Right now, design-wise, she's just the traditionally-dressed Japanese chick that literally every fighting game has... but with wings. wow, the tengu jumped out!!!!!!!
img-nyotengu.png
yep, and top the package off with a generic seductress face as well.

the two big, bouncy things are the selling point. they aren't new, though. there were around 14 characters with the exact same specs, four of which were already dark haired asians. talk about a massive redundancy.

i don't think using the mask more would even help the design. not a monster girl shitter myself, but they should've done a similar abomination to bankotsubo but with a hag voice.

and i do think the animations would benefit from being different, because i simply don't need to be reminded that they gutted bankotsubo for this.

fighting styles don't have gender. the user, however, can add their personal flair on top of the baseline. that's why the same fighting style can look vastly different across different games. the notion that every person practicing a style needs to do the exact same thing only applies to choreographed demonstrations.

Atahotaku

yep, and top the package off with a generic seductress face as well.

the two big, bouncy things are the selling point. they aren't new, though. there were around 14 characters with the exact same specs, four of which were already dark haired asians. talk about a massive redundancy.

i don't think using the mask more would even help the design. not a monster girl shitter myself, but they should've done a similar abomination to bankotsubo but with a hag voice.

and i do think the animations would benefit from being different, because i simply don't need to be reminded that they gutted bankotsubo for this.

fighting styles don't have gender. the user, however, can add their personal flair on top of the baseline. that's why the same fighting style can look vastly different across different games. the notion that every person practicing a style needs to do the exact same thing only applies to choreographed demonstrations.
I see your point, and I would be with you if not for the fact that her moveset is too similar to Bankotsubo's. I have the same impression with Rachel and her Nicole's moveset. I want new characters to have new movesets, and not an heritage of old ones that aren't coming back.

For Nyo's case, a mix between geisha's dance, kabuki performance, dominatrix and raw tengu power. For me that's more accurate to her character that her actual moveset, and if the mix is well balanced, she didn't have to look too stereotyped for that matter.

Ted E. Bear

k since it was mentioned... i also think that her sumo stomp is really out of character... but everything else is really on point.

tn also mentioned that she will get some backstory... so i wonder how they will pull that one off... since she is going to be a dlc character i doubt that she will be featured in story mode... on the other hand, this wouldn't be the first game to have non-playable characters in story mode that were later added to the roster as dlc... like mkx did with tanya for example.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I see your point, and I would be with you if not for the fact that her moveset is too similar to Bankotsubo's. I have the same impression with Rachel and her Nicole's moveset. I want new characters to have new movesets, and not an heritage of old ones that aren't coming back.
We all know TN rather recycle movesets than create new ones, it cost less money, is faster and it pleases fans.

I do. But don't wanna xD

Think about Yumi from Senran Kagura and her moves. That's the aproach I think they should take with Nyotengu. With some kabuki references, of course
Nyotengu is not some Kabuki girl, Oiran or Geisha. She’s not even human, she’s a demon who dresses seductively to seduce men and kill them. Kokoro is literally the Yumi of DoA, if you want a boring stereotypical Japanese geisha girl then use Kokoro.

Nyo is rumored to be Bankutsubo so I wouldn’t be surprised if Nyo’s beauty is just an illusion.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Nah. Nyotengu has 1018 years old, and Bankotsubo 1500. They aren't the same entity.
They’re both Tengu’s, just different age.

The most important thing, apart from still missing navels, is the question if Eliot will get his fugly egghead back. The pattern of all charaters getting their exact DOA5 default hairstyles back doesn't fill with hope...
I swear, each time I look at Eliot his egghead is growing. D:

View attachment 26380
He should get a complete redesign with his appearance, Eliot would look a ton better with a hairstyles like this.
A7B0A271-EC9D-4805-AC62-E83F8253AEB0.jpeg
EA933A40-EB58-4ED9-AD1A-BFB14C962045.jpeg

Idk why they went for that hideous egg head hairstyle, if he got decapitated his head would be used for an Easter hunt.

zoo

Adding to the nyotengu discussion..

I dig her design, honestly one of the few newcomers post vanilla 5 I like. She has a more mature look and style for days. I'd be fine with both tengus in the game but it's clear why she exists, not the most original fighter but again I like her design and character

human013

Or since Nyotengu is just a copy of Tengu TN could just do what Tekken did for Eddie and Christie in Tekken 5. Tengu would be an alt costume you could select. Just imagine Tengu being seductive, licking his lips, and doing Nyo's moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD